PDA

View Full Version : Creating a Baphomet Cleric

SociopathFriend
2022-03-04, 06:16 PM
A while past I had a character that was unwittingly serving Baphomet and I frankly had the time if my life.

So now I'd like to try again but with a bona fide Cleric that knows he (or she) is serving Baphomet and all that this would entail.

What Domain would suit best? What Spells should be prepared?

Seekergeek
2022-03-04, 06:37 PM
As uninteresting as it is, I’d probably say War is where I’d land. I have actually had a blast playing a war domain cleric but that was only up to level 8, I think.

Amnestic
2022-03-04, 06:50 PM
In 3e forgotten realms, Baphomet had: Animal, Chaos, Evil, Hatred, Retribution, Evil, Strength and Fury domains.
In Pathfinder, he had: Animal, Chaos, Evil, Strength

There is a Strength domain from Amonkhet if you want to grab that (looking it over it seems...pretty okay really - it gets some neat spells like Haste and Destructive Wave on its list, and it gets one druid cantrip so you can grab Shillelagh), but otherwise Nature (to cover 'Animal') or War, as said above.

Unoriginal
2022-03-04, 07:17 PM
A while past I had a character that was unwittingly serving Baphomet and I frankly had the time if my life.

So now I'd like to try again but with a bona fide Cleric that knows he (or she) is serving Baphomet and all that this would entail.

What Domain would suit best? What Spells should be prepared?

Nature Domain.

The Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes lists those as the signature spells for Baphomet's cultists:

Hunter's mark (1st level), Beast Sense (2nd level), Slow (3rd level)

As for the boons the Demon Prince gives:

Baphomet grants the gifts of cunning and physical power. He grants his rank-and-file followers the Unerring Tracker trait, and cult leaders gain the Incite the Hunters trait. All of his devotees also gain the Labyrinthine Recall trait.

Unerring Tracker: As a bonus action, this creature magically creates a psychic link with one creature it can see. For the next hour, as a bonus action this creature learns the current distance and direction to the target if it is on the same plane of existence. The link ends if this creature is incapacitated or if it uses this ability on a different target.

Incite the Hunters (Recharges after a Short or Long Rest): As an action, this creature allows each ally within 30 feet of it that has the Unerring Tracker trait to make one weapon attack as a reaction against the target of that ally's Unerring Tracker.

Labyrinthine Recall: This creature can perfectly recall any path it has traveled.

JackPhoenix
2022-03-04, 08:26 PM
Warlock, not being a god and all that. Maybe moon druid.

Evaar
2022-03-05, 03:30 AM
So there are a few ways to read Baphomet depending on what source you’re looking at.

1) A bestial hunter predator similar to Yeenoghu. For this I’d do War or Nature.

2) A more cerebral hunter, savage when it suits him but deeply intelligent. Think Hannibal Lecter. For this I’d do Death or Order (focusing on the manipulative side of the Order domain - luring others into dealing violence).

3) An evil scientist who creates monstrosities and death traps for his own curiosity and amusement. Think Marvel’s Arcade. For this I’d consider Knowledge, Forge, or Trickery.

Hope that helps. Personally I like the 2nd version of Baphomet the most, because it gives him a unique spin that differentiates him from other demon lords like Yeenoghu or Kotschie. It can give him more of a corruptor flavor, where his M.O. is manipulating people to devolve into violent savagery and abandon the pretenses of their civilized personas. Like Hannibal, he could be your best friend and always seem to have your best interest in mind, but he does push your buttons and make you question yourself and your values.

RogueJK
2022-03-05, 05:14 PM
Does it have to be a Cleric? A Fiend Warlock could be played as a priest. (I'm currently playing a Celestial Warlock as a priest.)

Something like a War Cleric 1/Fiend Bladelock X would make a great Warpriest of Baphomet.

SociopathFriend
2022-03-05, 08:04 PM
Does it have to be a Cleric? A Fiend Warlock could be played as a priest. (I'm currently playing a Celestial Warlock as a priest.)

Something like a War Cleric 1/Fiend Bladelock X would make a great Warpriest of Baphomet.

For the purposes of this thread- yes. Last time around I played a Barbarian that started working his way to Paladin.

This time I want the Cleric chassis.