PDA

View Full Version : Low-level spells that are emblematic for a Sorcerer?

Unoriginal
2022-03-05, 07:18 AM
Hi folks.

What are some low-lewel spells spells which, if you saw a character cast them, would make you think "yup, this one is probably a Sorcerer."

I admit I'm drawing a bit of a blank on the question. Specifically on the spells, though, I realize Metamagics like Silent or Quicken would showcase significant Sorcery.

Amnestic
2022-03-05, 07:33 AM
So far as I know the only Sorcerer exclusive spell is Chaos Bolt. Everything else they're forced to share, mostly with wizards.

Khrysaes
2022-03-05, 07:33 AM
Chaos Bolt

The only innately sorcerer only spell in the game so far.

From Ravnica, but still a emblematic spell.

Maybe some others are fitting for specific subclasses, like Dragon Breath, Summon Dragon, and Draconic form.

LudicSavant
2022-03-05, 08:25 AM
Hi folks.

What are some low-lewel spells spells which, if you saw a character cast them, would make you think "yup, this one is probably a Sorcerer."

I admit I'm drawing a bit of a blank on the question. Specifically on the spells, though, I realize Metamagics like Silent or Quicken would showcase significant Sorcery.

There is exactly one Sorcerer-exclusive spell, and that's Chaos Bolt.

Just kidding, Chaos Bolt isn't even Sorcerer-exclusive, it's on the Izzet Engineer (GGtR background) list. Not that anyone actually wants said spell. It's... not a great spell.

Unoriginal
2022-03-05, 08:50 AM
I apologize if I was unclear. I'm not asking about exclusively-sorcerer spells, I'm asking about spells that are emblematic to the class (at least a low level).

Maybe a different question would work better:

What would you say is the 'typical Sorcerer spell list', for spells up to the 3rd level?

loki_ragnarock
2022-03-05, 08:54 AM
I apologize if I was unclear. I'm not asking about exclusively-sorcerer spells, I'm asking about spells that are emblematic to the class (at least a low level).

What would you say is the 'typical Sorcerer spell list', for spells up to the 3rd level?

I think that's part of the sorcerer problem; there's not alot of inherent identity to work from.

The limitations on spells known and metamagic - and how they feed into each other - makes "typical" kind of hard to pin down. I think the best you'll get is "if the sorcerer is going for this gimmick, then the most likely spells are X. Y, Z."

LudicSavant
2022-03-05, 09:03 AM

I wouldn't say there is one.

Unoriginal
2022-03-05, 09:07 AM
I wouldn't say there is one.

You never observed that some spells were more commonly taken by Sorcerers than others?

DragonBaneDM
2022-03-05, 09:08 AM
I agree with others that the Sorcerer *base class* lacks defining flavor, but that’s simply because all of its defining flavor lives in the subclasses.

A Sorcerer’s birthright provides all the guidance (sometimes literally if you’re a Divine Soul) for your emblematic picks. Wizards is even seeing this with the latest Tasha’s ones and giving an expanded known spell list.

Beyond that, the “representative” of the Sorcerer class is widely accepted to be Wild Magic, though I know it’s not necessarily the most popular. Wild Magic is tough to pin down by its very nature, but anything from the Evocation and Transmutation spell schools is probably a safe bet.

Exploding an orc and polymorphing yourself into a dire shark aren’t the ONLY ways to show that your power source is unpredictable and potent, but those kinds of spells are a pretty decent way to show “Hey, my magic is innate, raw, and it’s SUPER dangerous.”

Corran
2022-03-05, 09:13 AM

Well, there are spells that pair well with metamagic which is (now mostly) a sorcerer exclussive mechanic, but I wouldn't call such spells emblematic just because of that.

At best I can think of
For example, for a draconic sorcerer I would pick spells like dragon breath/ fireball/ lightning bolt/ stinking cloud, hypnotic pattern/ fear, fly and maybe something like see invisibility. To immitate the source of the power to the degree that low level spells allow you to.
but I suppose this is not the same thing.

Unoriginal
2022-03-05, 09:17 AM
Thanks for your answers.

Everyone is right, it seems a Sorcerer's spell list will vary a lot depending on the subclass, the metamagics and the gimmick the character is going for.

LudicSavant
2022-03-05, 09:23 AM
You never observed that some spells were more commonly taken by Sorcerers than others?

Is that what you mean by emblematic? Just a spell that I see picked slightly more often by Sorcerer players than players of other classes that have that spell on their list?

Uhhm, I guess Sunbeam.

Edit: But that's not low level. Hmm.

it seems a Sorcerer's spell list will vary a lot depending on the subclass, the metamagics and the gimmick the character is going for.

Yeah pretty much.

RSP
2022-03-05, 09:39 AM
This is a problem with Sorcerers (IMHO). As a class there shouldn’t be any specific spell that says “that’s a Sorcerer.”

Each subclass should be distinct, though.

If I play a Sorcerer, I keep them in theme with their RP source (a Sourcerer perhaps?).

I’ve never understood why an Ice Sorceress throws Fireballs.

Again, just my preference, but I feel this was a failure in the design of the Sorcerer: giving them a generic spell list rather than different lists for different bloodlines.

LudicSavant
2022-03-05, 09:57 AM
This is a problem with Sorcerers (IMHO). As a class there shouldn’t be any specific spell that says “that’s a Sorcerer.”

Each subclass should be distinct, though.

If I play a Sorcerer, I keep them in theme with their RP source (a Sourcerer perhaps?).

I’ve never understood why an Ice Sorceress throws Fireballs.

Again, just my preference, but I feel this was a failure in the design of the Sorcerer: giving them a generic spell list rather than different lists for different bloodlines.

A redesigned Sorcerer might have giant plug'n'play domain lists representing their lineage (they just know the entire thematic list), plus something rather like Magical Secrets option for discrete customization.

The supposed design goal of the Sorcerer was to make them really simple and inviting for new players, but I'm not sure it did this well. While their few spell choices might be relatively simple in play, they cause analysis paralysis for players in-build, before the game's even started. And unlike other casters (who can just prepare a new set tomorrow, or add stuff to their spellbook, or the like), they can feel pretty stuck with bad choices (an issue that got so bad that WotC felt obliged to give them the ability to switch out spells day to day as a variant, later on in 5e). Also, their few spell choices mean they're encouraged to pick spells to cover as diverse ground as possible, rather than grabbing up all the fairly thematically similar spells.

With the proposed redesign, new players wouldn't need to read every spell to decide which ones to get, they just have a good lineage package right out the starting gate, and only need to read those spells. Then they can grab the Magical Secrets-like feature whenever they're ready.

JackPhoenix
2022-03-05, 10:16 AM

Not really. If a spell is good, most people will pick it regardless of class if they can.

KorvinStarmast
2022-03-05, 11:24 AM
that's Chaos Bolt.
It's... not a great spell.The sorcerers in my salt marsh games uses it, and witch bolt, quite a bit. The wizard in my current level 5 game uses is with some frequency.

Khrysaes
2022-03-05, 12:46 PM

I mean. THose more commonly taken are taken because they are good. Wizards, warlocks, and bard, tend to take most of the same spells, if they can, and then some.

To that note though
Shield
Absorb elements
Burning hands? Emblimatic but not good.
Chromatic orb?

Scorching ray.
Fireball
Lighting bolt.

ImproperJustice
2022-03-05, 03:51 PM
I have played a couple Sorcerers so if I had to name a few that I think I got more mileage out of because of metamagic I would name the following by Meta Magic:

Distant Spell:
Shocking Grasp
Vampiric Touch (30’ reach)
Scatter (60’ Teleport)
Aganazaar’s Scorcher (effect us the same but can now safely blast around team mates).

Twin Spell:
Ice Knife
Acid Arrow
Invisibility
Haste
Blindness / Deadness
Banishment
Immolation
All the Power Words

Subtle Spell
Phantasmal Force
Suggestion
Enemies Abound
Anything that can make someone flip out for no reason
Misty Step (nothing to keep you from escaping)
Immolation (People burst into flames out of nowhere).

Empower Spell
Every good fistful of dice blasting spell.

Careful
Grease
Web
Watery Sphere
Sleet Storm

Any control spell you can drop on a melee teammate without harm and let them rain blows on now hindered foes.

I fee like Quicken is pretty universally useful.

solidork
2022-03-05, 03:56 PM
A pretty good spell that Sorcerers have access to that Wizards don't is Enhance Ability.

LudicSavant
2022-03-05, 04:01 PM
A pretty good spell that Sorcerers have access to that Wizards don't is Enhance Ability.

They added Enhance Ability to the Tasha's spell list for Wizards. So they sometimes have that one, too.

JackPhoenix
2022-03-05, 04:15 PM
Distant Spell:
Vampiric Touch (30’ reach)
Doesn't work, has range of self.

Aganazaar’s Scorcher (effect us the same but can now safely blast around team mates).
This one is weird, because increasing the range doesn't do anything. It's still 30' line originating from yourself.

Twin Spell:
Ice Knife
Doesn't work, AoE means it can target more than a single creature.

Invisibility
Blindness / Deadness
Banishment
Basically cheaper upcasting. Note that it can't be combined with the upcasted versions.

Subtle Spell
Phantasmal Force
Still has M component

Suggestion
Still require you to speak the suggestion.

Careful
Any control spell you can drop on a melee teammate without harm and let them rain blows on now hindered foes.
So, here's the issue: Careful spell works on one save that happens when you cast the spell (https://www.sageadvice.eu/can-careful-spell-be-used-with-cloudkill/). That means your team:

Grease
Still need to save if they end turn in the AoE

Web
Sleet Storm
Careful doesn't help, as the creatures make the save at the start of their turn, not when it is cast.

solidork
2022-03-05, 04:43 PM
They added Enhance Ability to the Tasha's spell list for Wizards. So they sometimes have that one, too.

Donjon lied to me! :shakesfist:

JackPhoenix
2022-03-05, 05:17 PM
Donjon lied to me! :shakesfist:

Expended spell lists are variant rule, so I guess they didn't include them.

Khrysaes
2022-03-05, 08:11 PM
Still require you to speak the suggestion.

Notably, RAW the verbal components are not the spoken suggestion.

So subtle spell is to make the spell not obvious when in a social situation, which is when a suggestion could be likely to be used.

However, not every DM actually tracks the verbal components of spells or how awkward they are around others when not appropriate for a situation.

paladinn
2022-03-05, 09:14 PM
I know it's a houserule; but I've opted to give sorcerers a version of Eldritch Blast. It can be cast as-written as a cantrip, or as a leveled spell (including "upcasting") with increased power.

Nothing screams innate/"raw" magic to me more than a force blast.

JackPhoenix
2022-03-05, 10:51 PM
Notably, RAW the verbal components are not the spoken suggestion.

So subtle spell is to make the spell not obvious when in a social situation, which is when a suggestion could be likely to be used.

However, not every DM actually tracks the verbal components of spells or how awkward they are around others when not appropriate for a situation.

Sure, just something to keep in mind if you want to take inspiration from the post I've reacted to. And if the victim does something out of character or have later suspicions, there's evidence you're responsible.

Tanarii
2022-03-05, 11:55 PM
Chromatic Orb. Does any type of damage for a Dragon Sorc, and is an attack roll spell for a Wild Mage. IMX fairly common for Sorcerers, but not as common on Wizards.

Kane0
2022-03-06, 03:02 AM
Catapult, Magic Missile, Shield, Silent Image, Sleep, Thunderwave
Enhance Ability, Enlarge/Reduce, Hold Person, Invisibility, Misty Step, Scorching Ray, Shatter, Web

Which appears to be basically a greatest hit list of mage spells.

Mastikator
2022-03-06, 03:13 AM
IMO spells aren't emblematic for sorcerers, meta magic is. Twinned chromatic orb, empowered fireball, heightened phantasmal force.