PDA

View Full Version : Cleric As A Wizard?

Sparky McDibben
2022-03-05, 12:29 PM
Hey y'all!

I just got done rereading the Cleric Quintet by Salvatore, and an interesting character idea occurred to me. I would like to make a character who is, mechanically, a wizard, but who views their magic as a divine gift.

Does anyone know of a list of crossover spells between the cleric and wizard spell lists?

To answer the inevitable questions:
1) Yes, I know Cadderly is mechanically a Favored Soul, a class that is most closely represented by Divine Soul sorcerer in 5e.
2) I do not care about #1. I'm trying to create a character that struggles to reconcile mystery, discovery, skepticism, and belief, not rebuild a Realms character.
3) I am set on wizard. I could use artificer, which has some interesting themes in common with the original inspiration (Cadderly), but the central idea of the artificer is invention, not understanding, and understanding is what drives this character. Ergo, I am set on wizard.
4) If you reply with a comment I have already answered here, I will wish 1,000 generations of good luck on your family. You have been warned.

Finally, a single spicy opinion:
1) Cadderly Bonaduce is the best R.A. Salvatore main character. Suck it, Drizzt stans.

arnin77
2022-03-05, 12:41 PM
Does the UA Theurgy Wizard fit?

Sparky McDibben
2022-03-05, 12:46 PM
Does the UA Theurgy Wizard fit?

Good question! Unfortunately, there's no UA allowed by the DM, as he believes it is "a Commie plot to destroy gaming."

That's a direct quote.

arnin77
2022-03-05, 12:51 PM
Hahaha we wouldn’t want that!!

There is a Treantmonk build called the Theurgist which I believe is a Knowledge Cleric 1/ Divination Wizard X

Maybe that works? You could get expertise in Religion and Arcana…

LibraryOgre
2022-03-05, 01:15 PM
Hey y'all!

I just got done rereading the Cleric Quintet by Salvatore, and an interesting character idea occurred to me. I would like to make a character who is, mechanically, a wizard, but who views their magic as a divine gift.

Does anyone know of a list of crossover spells between the cleric and wizard spell lists?

This spreadsheet might come in handy. (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13pGIRA2XPM6fTxNUuyzOHtkSx9xdHJioof2tT7NTTXQ/edit?usp=sharing)

Just spell names, schools, and source, but with a bit of rearranging, you could find all the spells the two have in common, at least. That would help you build the spellbook of your religious wizard.

Sparky McDibben
2022-03-05, 01:19 PM
Thanks, Mr. Hall!

Khrysaes
2022-03-05, 01:19 PM
Mark of healing dragon mark would definitely help that feel. So too would the spell giving backgrounds from ravnica and or strixhaven, especially lorehold or orzhov since they have spirit guardians.

The even easier option is to ask to be a cleric but with wizard spellbook like casting and int as the casting stat. Would be great as arcana cleric.

False God
2022-03-05, 02:03 PM
I believe Mark Hall answered your spell question as best as possible, but...

Isn't it all just roleplaying flavor you're looking at here?

Your wizard at it's base, only knows that they can use "magic"(whatever that is in the context of the setting you're in). HOW you are able to use magic is the mystery here. Perhaps secondly "where does magic come from?" to which you character can certainly say "the gods".

The difficult to reconcile element is D&D's inherent scientific nature to magic.

Perhaps your mage only writes their spells down as some kind of psychography after a time of meditation. The rules themselves only specify that you have to spend the time, it doesn't say how you have to do it. When your character comes out of their trance, spells are written down. Perhaps in a language he doesn't know, but when he opens his spellbook to cast them, he can read speak them as though he knew the language, but only during casting. When pressed by others or looking at the words while not casting he has no idea.

You should try to get your DM on board with some heavy refluffing, and it shouldn't require any rules changes. Your character doesn't understand how or why they can do magic, but they're very religious and believe it is divine providence that they can do so. Spell failures can be attributed to failures of faith. Learning one spell and not another can be attributed to prayer and the will of the gods rather than experimentation and study.

Nothing mechanically needs to change. And frankly you don't need to use cleric-like spells either to get the point across. You're a pious spellcaster who believes magic stems from faith and divinity, not from experimentation. I'm sure you'll have a number of lovely debates with local wizards.

Sparky McDibben
2022-03-05, 03:31 PM
Isn't it all just roleplaying flavor you're looking at here?

Yep, but flavor without mechanics is like dumping nutmeg on a caffeine pill and calling it a Pumpkin Spice Latte. For me, boundaries inspire creativity. That's why I asked - I wanted an easy way to see where the boundaries were.

Sigreid
2022-03-05, 03:38 PM
Don't think there's a lot of overlap, but I'll put forth that it doesn't really matter that much. There's really no reason that a god of magic or knowledge couldn't have some number of his ordained priests be wizards and not clerics. Ritual Caster Cleric could give you that sweet sweet religious legitimacy.

RogueJK
2022-03-05, 04:19 PM
There is a Treantmonk build called the Theurgist which I believe is a Knowledge Cleric 1/ Divination Wizard X

Maybe that works? You could get expertise in Religion and Arcana…

There's also LudicSavant's "Jorasco Physician", which is a Life Cleric 1/Transmuter Wizard X, based around the Mark of Healing dragonmark: https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=24670442&postcount=496'

With either of those, the Ritual Caster Cleric, Magic Initiate Cleric, and Fey Touched (Bless) feats can get you even more Cleric spell options.

Sparky McDibben
2022-03-05, 06:31 PM
Mark of healing dragon mark would definitely help that feel. So too would the spell giving backgrounds from ravnica and or strixhaven, especially lorehold or orzhov since they have spirit guardians.

That's a good idea, but a non-starter, I'm afraid. DM has banned all MtG and UA content (which I'm OK with), and multiclassing. Oof.

There's also LudicSavant's "Jorasco Physician"

I actually looked at this before the DM nerfed multiclassing. But ultimately, I don't want a healing wizard. I want someone who questions why they can't heal, why their magic different, who ultimately has to accept that some things are unknowable...and can they make their peace with that.

With either of those, the Ritual Caster Cleric, Magic Initiate Cleric, and Fey Touched (Bless) feats can get you even more Cleric spell options.

Ooh, good calls!

PhantomSoul
2022-03-05, 07:32 PM
DM has banned ... multiclassing. Oof.

I actually looked at this before the DM nerfed multiclassing.[/QUOTE]

Just as an aside (which I don't think is necessary for you, for the record, but that is more in response to general forum norms/assumptions/reactions), the DM is just not using an optional rule, per 5e; there was really neither a ban nor a nerf!

-------------

Now that that's been said, you've gotten perfectly delightful and sensible suggestions, especially with feat proposals and with the fluff element kind of not inherently caring about what the mechanical class is... but what if we were to twist is, given you say you have an anticipated arc where the character questions their (lack of) access of healing magic. (And maybe they'll think they were rewarded with healing when they get higher-level spells like Life Transference or Vampiric Touch... and maybe that will instead make them question the true nature of their god...)

Instead of building a wizard, what if you built a wizard-y cleric? Knowledge or (especially?) Arcana could easily be fluffed and customised to fit the role, but I think Trickster could even be leveraged as a twist on the Illusionist with some fantastic spell options. Sure, at that point you're choosing to avoid healing magic during play instead of choosing to avoid it by class choice beforehand, but it might be another way to build the story you want... and maybe give yourself more freedom to have your character get a more cleric-like aspect when desired.

EDIT: I know I may have wishes upon my family given you say you're set on a wizard, but I figured it's still worth talking about the other side of refluffs! (And the first paragraph applies anyhow :P)

paladinn
2022-03-05, 08:14 PM
Divine Soul Sorcerer. Ask to play it with prepared spells instead of spells known. Cut some of the sub/class features, and don't take a spell school specialization. Robert is your mum's brother.

Sparky McDibben
2022-03-05, 08:17 PM
Totally fair point on the multiclassing!

I've already played an Arcana cleric (and it was OMG so fun), and I'm looking to invert that exact archetype.

And now:

I hope your mother comes into more money than she can easily spend! I hope your next NCAA bracket is so spot on that Warren Buffett hires you! I wish a thousand blessings upon thee and thine, redounding to thy benefit ACROSS ALL THE AGES OF THE WORLD!!!!!

sambojin
2022-03-05, 08:28 PM
You could reflavour the spellbook pretty easily as a book of sermons, a religious text, or an understanding-in-progress. One where your "cleric" is not only writing down his understanding of the divine, and his magic, but also of his experiences in the world and their connection to the holiness they feel around them. Sort of a "I'm just trying to work it all out", with tales of his adventures.

So, not really writing down spells persay, but things that inspire him to be able to do "magic". A ritual is a ceremony of remembrance or exaltation, or considerance of a thing that has occured to him or others. A book of tales, with a religious vibe to it. A self-written Bible of sorts, in many ways.

The good old quarterstaff can be used as a spell focus as well, maybe with a symbol on top. Or just the component pouch. Or anything, really. A wand's a wand, it just has to be in your hand...

What about learning other spells from other spellbooks or scrolls? Perhaps he just writes down his inferences from it, or his thoughts about it, or even the tale of how he found it. He does perceive himself as a cleric, this sort of stuff might be important to later followers of his deity. Not so much as a prophet, but of one of his faith that has seen more of the world than most would. Perhaps one day he'll be declared a saint, or perhaps it is a requirement of his faith that he records these things for the church, so others may learn from them (and as payment for the support of such cloistered clerics).

Not really sure what type of deity you're going for, but I'm pretty sure that all fits in pretty well with arcana or lore or knowledge or community or ..... In that they do have high level wizards that hold high rank and are pretty much considered as clerics anyway, just not cleric-clerics. Like, wizard-clerics. Still holy, still doing the work of the divine, just not actual clerics (but way more divine than the average non-magical priests or functionaries in the order). Makes it pretty easy to do a character like that, still have a church, but to fit it into the gameworld. Might be a huge part of their faith to understand the true magical side of "what is obviously their God's will upon the world" compared to normal divine magic.

Khrysaes
2022-03-05, 09:08 PM
That's a good idea, but a non-starter, I'm afraid. DM has banned all MtG and UA content (which I'm OK with), and multiclassing.

I actually looked at this before the DM nerfed multiclassing. But ultimately, I don't want a healing wizard. I want someone who questions why they can't heal, why their magic different, who ultimately has to accept that some things are unknowable...and can they make their peace with that.

You already noted that you won't use it in your reply to RogueJK, and that is fine, but I wanted to point out that Mark of Healing is not MTG or UA, although I think you just lumped it together when replying to me.

You can potentially take feats to get more cleric exclusive spells, like Fey Touched and Bless.

That said here is a list of shared spells on wizard and cleric lists. Some are short hand. I didn't include Ravnica, Theros, AqInc, Wildemount, Strixhave, or UA

Light
Mending
Toll the dead
detect Magic
Prot from Evil
Blindness
Continual Flame
Gentle Repose
Hold Person
Locate Object
Animate Dead
Bestow Curse
Clairvoyance
Dispel Magic
Feign Death
Glyph of Warding
Life Transferance
Magic Circle
Prot from Energy
Remove Curse
Sending
Tongues
Banishment
Control Water
Locate Creature
Stone Shape
Dawn
Geas
Legend Lore
Planar Binding
Scrying
Create Undead
True Seeing
Ethrealness
Plane Shift
Symbol
Antimagic Field
Control Weather
Astral Projection
Gate
.... Wish can be made as an argument for Divine Intervention

Augury
Enhance Ability
Spirit Shroud
Speak with dead
Divination
Sunbeam
Sunburst

And Dragonmark Cleric spells, just in case. For expedience, this is any spell a dragonmark gives that a cleric gets, but not a wizard or mark of healing.

As can be seen, the cleric spells a wizard doesn't have from dragon marks, 4 from detection(3 with tasha's), 6 from Hospitality, 3 from Handling, 4 from Sentinel, 1 from Passage, one from Scribing. I would go with Hospitality or Sentinel.

Divination (Detection, Finding, wizard from Tasha's)
Detect Evil and Good (Detection)
Detect Poison (Detection)
Find Traps (Detection)

Hallow (Hospitality)
Purify Food (Hospitality)
Create Food and Water (Hospitality)
Aid (Hospitality)
Aura of Purity (Hospitality, New cleric spell in Tasha's)

Calm Emotions (Hospitality, Handling)

Aura of Life (Handling, New Cleric spell in Tasha's)
Beacon of Hope (Handling)

Warding Bond (Sentinel)
Zone of Truth (Sentinel)
Death Ward (Sentinel)
Guardian of Faith (Sentinel)

Freedom of Movement (Passage)

Silence (Scribing)

Edit: You may also want to "pick" a domain. Just for the spell lists. I.e. A wizard that thinks they are a cleric would be a good arcane Cleric, for crossover spells such as Magic Missile

PhantomSoul
2022-03-05, 09:22 PM
I've already played an Arcana cleric (and it was OMG so fun), and I'm looking to invert that exact archetype.

I'm a bit jealous -- I had one only for a short campaign, and think it really would've been extra fun had it lasted just a bit longer -- or lots longer. (Philosophical cleric what was heading towards a bit of divination wizard later had things continued as a conceptual capstone.)

And now:

I hope your mother comes into more money than she can easily spend! I hope your next NCAA bracket is so spot on that Warren Buffett hires you! I wish a thousand blessings upon thee and thine, redounding to thy benefit ACROSS ALL THE AGES OF THE WORLD!!!!!

You're freaking awesome.

What about learning other spells from other spellbooks or scrolls? Perhaps he just writes down his inferences from it, or his thoughts about it, or even the tale of how he found it. He does perceive himself as a cleric, this sort of stuff might be important to later followers of his deity. Not so much as a prophet, but of one of his faith that has seen more of the world than most would. Perhaps one day he'll be declared a saint, or perhaps it is a requirement of his faith that he records these things for the church, so others may learn from them (and as payment for the support of such cloistered clerics).

Hm, I was thinking of studying = discovering the faith and being a proper believer (which, uh, parallels real-world religions enough that I won't go on...!), but it now occurs to me that there could even be extra fun to have a predestination-style twist (in a world where that might be on a very different backdrop relative to unmentionable comparisons) where you use your (good) well-being as an indication of your god's favour. So even if you research a spell, it is providence that you should find it; and you finding is is a sign that you are amongst the favoured. You might even then conclude that your allies are amongst those your god smiles upon, giving you some sort of bond to them, regardless of what they personally believe!

Not really sure what type of deity you're going for, but I'm pretty sure that all fits in pretty well with arcana or lore or knowledge or community or ..... In that they do have high level wizards that hold high rank and are pretty much considered as clerics anyway, just not cleric-clerics. Like, wizard-clerics. Still holy, still doing the work of the divine, just not actual clerics (but way more divine than the average non-magical priests or functionaries in the order). Makes it pretty easy to do a character like that, still have a church, but to fit it into the gameworld. Might be a huge part of their faith to understand the true magical side of "what is obviously their God's will upon the world" compared to normal divine magic.

The nature of the god seems like such a fun thing for the character to discover/deduce/introspect (after all, if your spells are from your god, perhaps they're a sign of the god's leanings/portfolio -- and/or aid for future need).

ender241
2022-03-05, 09:43 PM
How about this: A School of Necromancy Wizard that tries to revive people and keeps creating undead minions on accident instead. And the only way you can figure out how to heal is by draining the life force of others. And your god's like "no, no, not like that". Not sure how serious you want to keep things, but could be fun 😁.

Sparky McDibben
2022-03-05, 11:26 PM
Divine Soul Sorcerer. Ask to play it with prepared spells instead of spells known. Cut some of the sub/class features, and don't take a spell school specialization. Robert is your mum's brother.

Thank for this suggestion! Please see items 3 and 4 in my initial post. And now:

I deeply, deeply hope you find true and eternal love and happiness with the one person in the entire world who is right for you and makes you a better person, sir! I hope your children all grow up to solve sustainable nuclear fusion and are showered with accolades! I wish you and yours 1,000 generations of winning lotto tickets, aisle seats on airplanes, and the SOFTEST LAVATORY PAPER IMAGINABLE!!!!!

You could reflavour the spellbook pretty easily as a book of sermons, a religious text, or an understanding-in-progress. One where your "cleric" is not only writing down his understanding of the divine, and his magic, but also of his experiences in the world and their connection to the holiness they feel around them. Sort of a "I'm just trying to work it all out", with tales of his adventures.

So, not really writing down spells persay, but things that inspire him to be able to do "magic". A ritual is a ceremony of remembrance or exaltation, or considerance of a thing that has occured to him or others. A book of tales, with a religious vibe to it. A self-written Bible of sorts, in many ways.

The good old quarterstaff can be used as a spell focus as well, maybe with a symbol on top. Or just the component pouch. Or anything, really. A wand's a wand, it just has to be in your hand...

Yep, that's exactly what I'm going for! Sort of that scholar who knows just enough to be maddened by what they'll never have enough time to research.

You already noted that you won't use it in your reply to RogueJK, and that is fine, but I wanted to point out that Mark of Healing is not MTG or UA, although I think you just lumped it together when replying to me.

You can potentially take feats to get more cleric exclusive spells, like Fey Touched and Bless.

That said here is a list of shared spells on wizard and cleric lists. Some are short hand. I didn't include Ravnica, Theros, AqInc, Wildemount, Strixhave, or UA

Light
Mending
Toll the dead
detect Magic
Prot from Evil
Blindness
Continual Flame
Gentle Repose
Hold Person
Locate Object
Animate Dead
Bestow Curse
Clairvoyance
Dispel Magic
Feign Death
Glyph of Warding
Life Transferance
Magic Circle
Prot from Energy
Remove Curse
Sending
Tongues
Banishment
Control Water
Locate Creature
Stone Shape
Dawn
Geas
Legend Lore
Planar Binding
Scrying
Create Undead
True Seeing
Ethrealness
Plane Shift
Symbol
Antimagic Field
Control Weather
Astral Projection
Gate
.... Wish can be made as an argument for Divine Intervention

Augury
Enhance Ability
Spirit Shroud
Speak with dead
Divination
Sunbeam
Sunburst

Yeah, only two spells to choose from at level one is a bit rough. I might have to reflavor some of the other more evocative wizard spells to round out their roster. Maybe their Tenser's Floating Disc is actually an angelic servant showing up and holding their **** for an hour.

but it now occurs to me that there could even be extra fun to have a predestination-style twist (in a world where that might be on a very different backdrop relative to unmentionable comparisons) where you use your (good) well-being as an indication of your god's favour. So even if you research a spell, it is providence that you should find it; and you finding is is a sign that you are amongst the favoured. You might even then conclude that your allies are amongst those your god smiles upon, giving you some sort of bond to them, regardless of what they personally believe!

The nature of the god seems like such a fun thing for the character to discover/deduce/introspect (after all, if your spells are from your god, perhaps they're a sign of the god's leanings/portfolio -- and/or aid for future need).

Oh man, "I am of the Shmelect" is a great story hook, and then he has to start defining exactly what that means? Oh, that's gold. And I love trying to discover the nature of the god in question in play. Maybe I could spin this as a whole new deity to my DM? Damn, that's cool!

How about this: A School of Necromancy Wizard that tries to revive people and keeps creating undead minions on accident instead. And the only way you can figure out how to heal is by draining the life force of others. And your god's like "no, no, not like that". Not sure how serious you want to keep things, but could be fun 😁.

That would be hilarious, but I think I'm going to go with either Illusion or Transmutation, and try to keep it more grounded than some of the heavy hitters like Evocation or Chronurgy. Thanks for the awesome suggestion, though!!!

Khrysaes
2022-03-06, 03:19 AM
Yeah, only two spells to choose from at level one is a bit rough. I might have to reflavor some of the other more evocative wizard spells to round out their roster. Maybe their Tenser's Floating Disc is actually an angelic servant showing up and holding their **** for an hour.

Hence my suggestion that you pick a cleric domain, just for thematic or roleplay purposes, with many spells that overlap such as the arcana cleric, which would add magic missile to the overlapping spells. or Light Domain, for burning hands, fireball, scorching ray..

Cleric domain spells on the wizard spell list, but not on the cleric spell list. I didn't sort these by domain. Just put all domain spells in a filter, kept those on the wizard list, removed those on the cleric list.

Burning Hands
Sleep
Charm Person
Disguise Self
False Life
Fog Cloud
Identify
Magic Missile
Ray of Sickness
Thunderwave
Flaming Sphere
Gust of wind
See Invisibility
Magic Weapon
Mirror Image
Magic Aura
Ray of Enfeeb
Scorching Ray
Shatter
Suggestion
Blink
Fireball
Tiny Hut
Nondetection
Sleet Storm
Slow
Vampiric Touch
Arcane Eye
Blight
Confusion
Dimension Door
Fabricate
Ice Storm
Leomunds Secret Chest
Otiluke's Res Sphere
Polymorph
Greater Invisibility
Stone Skin
Wall of Fire
Animate objects
Cloudkill
Hold Monster
Modify Mem
Telepathic Bond
Teleport Circle
Mislead

Sparky McDibben
2022-03-06, 03:28 PM
Hence my suggestion that you pick a cleric domain, just for thematic or roleplay purposes, with many spells that overlap such as the arcana cleric, which would add magic missile to the overlapping spells. or Light Domain, for burning hands, fireball, scorching ray..

Cleric domain spells on the wizard spell list, but not on the cleric spell list. I didn't sort these by domain. Just put all domain spells in a filter, kept those on the wizard list, removed those on the cleric list.

Burning Hands
Sleep
Charm Person
Disguise Self
False Life
Fog Cloud
Identify
Magic Missile
Ray of Sickness
Thunderwave
Flaming Sphere
Gust of wind
See Invisibility
Magic Weapon
Mirror Image
Magic Aura
Ray of Enfeeb
Scorching Ray
Shatter
Suggestion
Blink
Fireball
Tiny Hut
Nondetection
Sleet Storm
Slow
Vampiric Touch
Arcane Eye
Blight
Confusion
Dimension Door
Fabricate
Ice Storm
Leomunds Secret Chest
Otiluke's Res Sphere
Polymorph
Greater Invisibility
Stone Skin
Wall of Fire
Animate objects
Cloudkill
Hold Monster
Modify Mem
Telepathic Bond
Teleport Circle
Mislead

Jesus, that spoiler, man. :) That is a lot of options, and I really appreciate the great work you've done putting them together. However, I'd like to discover the identity of the god in question during play. However...I wonder if I could work with the DM to give them a bunch of options for like a minor god of knowledge or arcana? Or secrets, possibly. But either way, let them "discover" this deity's domain spells in play?

Hmm....that's got some potential! Thanks, Khrysaes!

PhantomSoul
2022-03-06, 04:07 PM
Jesus, that spoiler, man. :) That is a lot of options, and I really appreciate the great work you've done putting them together. However, I'd like to discover the identity of the god in question during play. However...I wonder if I could work with the DM to give them a bunch of options for like a minor god of knowledge or arcana? Or secrets, possibly. But either way, let them "discover" this deity's domain spells in play?

Hmm....that's got some potential! Thanks, Khrysaes!

To what extent do you-the-player want to make the discovery like you-the-character? It might be a great opportunity to work with the DM, where the DM narrows down spell options and/or you propose a set of choices that the DM refines. In that case, the DM knows about the god, but neither you-the-player nor you-the-character do, making it more natural to RP and (to me) more fun as an exercise of discovery!

Khrysaes
2022-03-06, 04:40 PM
To what extent do you-the-player want to make the discovery like you-the-character? It might be a great opportunity to work with the DM, where the DM narrows down spell options and/or you propose a set of choices that the DM refines. In that case, the DM knows about the god, but neither you-the-player nor you-the-character do, making it more natural to RP and (to me) more fun as an exercise of discovery!

I like this method of it. I mostly just provided the list for reference.

Sparky McDibben
2022-03-06, 04:48 PM

I like this method of it. I mostly just provided the list for reference.

That's exactly what I was thinking! Good job, y'all!

Nagog
2022-03-06, 06:15 PM
3) I am set on wizard. I could use artificer, which has some interesting themes in common with the original inspiration (Cadderly), but the central idea of the artificer is invention, not understanding, and understanding is what drives this character. Ergo, I am set on wizard.

If you want the support/healing options, you're going to need Artificer. At the very least a dip. The good news is, both Battle Smith and Alchemist have great healing options on their expanded spell lists, and the better news is you can tell the suggested invention flavor to drag it's sorry carcass back into whatever rat-infested hole it came from and rot there! One fun thing you can do to shift the flavor from Invention to Understanding is how they learn their infusions: They don't actually know how they work! They could be discovered accidentally, or (much more fun imo) they could be effects produced by magic doodads the character found along the way, and they keep using them on their (and other's) stuff to try and figure it out.

Also, if you end up using Alchemist for this, I would pitch the idea to your DM to allow you to make a certain number of the Alchemist potions per day for free, probably tied to your Proficiency bonus. Some of them are really nice, but none of them are really worth the 1st level slot, particularly when it takes an action to make and an action to consume.

Sparky McDibben
2022-03-06, 06:49 PM
If you want the support/healing options, you're going to need Artificer. At the very least a dip. The good news is, both Battle Smith and Alchemist have great healing options on their expanded spell lists, and the better news is you can tell the suggested invention flavor to drag it's sorry carcass back into whatever rat-infested hole it came from and rot there! One fun thing you can do to shift the flavor from Invention to Understanding is how they learn their infusions: They don't actually know how they work! They could be discovered accidentally, or (much more fun imo) they could be effects produced by magic doodads the character found along the way, and they keep using them on their (and other's) stuff to try and figure it out.

Also, if you end up using Alchemist for this, I would pitch the idea to your DM to allow you to make a certain number of the Alchemist potions per day for free, probably tied to your Proficiency bonus. Some of them are really nice, but none of them are really worth the 1st level slot, particularly when it takes an action to make and an action to consume.

Thank you for this suggestion! I don't really want healing options, though, since I'd like to play a character who has to try to understand their place in a divine plan, and barriers are an important part of that. I think wizard and clerical overlap kind of covers a lot of the support options. Also, per point 4 on my initial post:

I hope your entire family is cursed by a total absence of bunions! I hope you and your descendants never lose your car keys, never get lemon juice in a paper cut, and always hit traffic lights when they are green! Finally, for the next 1,000 generations, may your family never know the horrors of cold coffee or warm tuna salad!!! I bid you good DAY, SIR!!!!

sambojin
2022-03-06, 07:20 PM
Any idea on Race?

I'd really recommend v.human or a Tasha's custom, just for the initial feat. And that feat, as mentioned above, should be Feytouched with Bless. Not only is it useful, it could be a pretty big core part of the character.

Why are you definitely a cleric, and not just some off-beat wizard? Because your god gave you the ability to Bless people, pretty much from birth, and everything else came after. Wizards don't Bless, only Clerics do. And so this led you on your voyage of discovery of what your powers are, why, how, and even the true nature of from whom? While discovering yourself and writing your book of experiences (your spellbook) along the way. And it's obvious that this deity wants you to travel, or at least wants you alive, because you can Misty Step too! It all makes sense....

The Wizard spells, ritual casting, and the 2 per level-up should provide everything else to flavour yourself. Choose whatever subclass seems like fun, or fits into your feels for the deity. Using Arcane Recovery as your Divine Intervention (that you use every day, prayer and consideration time of sorts) should fit in nicely as well. "Great one, grant me more strength to fulfill your vision for me!", etc etc.

((I'd be tempted to go for War magic for my wizard school. Not to represent either War or Magic, but to represent your deity's protection over you. It's not powerful by any means, but +Int to initiative, mini-pally saves while cantripping or concentrating, and the occasional tiny boost of raw power for when you really do need to do some damage, fits into a divinely blessed caster pretty well. Most power from wizard comes from being a Wizard, so picking a weaker but flavourful school for your concept should be fine))