PDA

View Full Version : How best to take advantage of Unorthodox Firing?

SangoProduction
2022-03-05, 07:22 PM
Unorthodox Firing
You may fire any ranged weapon while prone. Additionally, you may use a leg in place of a hand when wielding a ranged weapon, although you must still use at least one hand to fire the weapon and suffer a -2 penalty to attack rolls while using a foot in this manner. This can allow you to fire the weapon in situations where two hands are not available, such as when hanging from a rope, grappling a creature, or in other, similar situations.

So, the obvious maximized use is to dual wield two handed ranged weapons while sitting down for a sip of tea.

But that's a little bit... limiting. You can't actually move.
So... How's about dual wielding a pistol (or other one-handed implement) and musket, while balancing on your feet?
This could be represented by you "losing" your leg for the duration of the attack, which reduces your speed, doesn't let you run or charge, etc etc. But aside from being easily bull rushed (which isn't a common AoO attack), it's not generally an impediment during your attack.

But...That's with the basic human form.

If we were, for instance, a centaur (despite the anatomical difficulty of using those legs for much other than running) or a drider, we could then easily dual wield 2 handed ranged weapons.
And because neither are one handed or light, there are no listed penalties for dual wielding them. Scratch that. I made sure. No, there are default penalties, which are modified down by given conditions. So -4/-4 if we have two-weapon fighting.
Dual Wielding sphere is also -4/-4. But can be reduced to -2/-2 with Balanced Blows.

Which totals either -6/-6 or -4/-4 with Balanced Blows and the Unorthodox Firing.
Let's be honest, if you're targeting touch attack, and getting 2d12 damage vs 1d12, a -4/-4 isn't that much of a penalty. Especially since it's an additional chance to hit at least once. Which is generally worth roughly +5 before the chance to hit again (math is complicated, just trust me bro).

Your problem? Reloading. Yeah. Yeah... Yeah. Well, Impossible Reload talent at least lets you do it with no free hands.
But you really have to go out of your way to make reloading a 2H early firearm viable.

So... I should get back to building my character. Do you guys have any ideas?

Maat Mons
2022-03-05, 07:28 PM
If you have wings, you can move without using your legs. So using both legs to help you wield bigger guns would be fine.

zlefin
2022-03-05, 07:36 PM
You could have an ally cast a floating disk for you to sit on. Then you can do the dual-wielding thing and still be able to move (or at least be moved).

Dropping to prone is a free action; so if you could find a way to stand up from prone as a free action, or a swift action, then you'd still have plenty of mobility. I'm not sure what ways there are to do that in pathfinder, I know there were some in 3.5;

Reading through it again, it should work if you're mounted. So go mounted archer dual-wielding bows, because that's hilarious.

SangoProduction
2022-03-05, 08:18 PM
Reading through it again, it should work if you're mounted. So go mounted archer dual-wielding bows, because that's hilarious.

You know... I like that. I really like that. Just need an intelligent mount so that you can guide it verbally instead of with your knees.
Then again, you guide, and then attack. So... maybe it's fine. Your mileage may vary on DM.

Seward
2022-03-06, 01:23 AM
with bonded mounts you can guide using handle animal to direct it as a free action, instead of ride skill (beyond "staying in saddle").

If not bonded, handle animal is too slow, using up a move action, not recommended for most archers and certainly not for somebody trying to dual weild in any way.

If you had a familiar it might be able to direct the mount using handle animal, while you rode it and did your thing.

Gruftzwerg
2022-03-06, 02:09 AM
I would recommend a Tief Acrobat 2 dip. Free action standing up and no penalties for kneeling, sitting and prone!
Thus you only get the benefits for laying prone and can stand up and drop as much you want during your turn.

Note that you could also dual wield a ranged weapon with a melee weapon together for more flexibility.

Lets go wild:

Dvati Urban Druid X / Tief Acrobat 2

2 Dvati sitting on/in their vehicle (huge animated object), each with 2 bows. DRIVE BY action ^^

SangoProduction
2022-03-06, 09:54 AM
Have to respect anyone who uses the dvati.

Gruftzwerg
2022-03-06, 10:53 AM
Have to respect anyone who uses the dvati.

Thx^^, i'm slowly getting the hang to use em in TO builds. If you are interested and haven't noticed/already read em, have a look at my Sakon & Ukon build, or my Dvati Sorcerers of the Arcane Legion (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?639734-Cooperative-Dvati-Sorcerers-of-the-Arcane-Legions) build.

I also noticed the feat Prone Attack from CW. Works similar to Tief Acrobat 2.