PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Trident Of Return

JNAProductions
2022-03-06, 02:29 PM
Trident Of Return
Weapon (Trident), Uncommon (Requires Attunement)

This exceedingly well-balanced trident is capable of returning to an attuned wielder's hand simply by speaking its name. Furthermore, owing to its unique magical nature, in addition to the usual properties of a trident, it gains the Finesse property and increases its range to 40'/120'. Finally, anyone attuned to the trident is automatically proficient in it.

Really basic, but someone in a game I'm in is playing a Rogue and dropped most of the money available to the party on a returning trident. You know... A weapon they aren't proficient in and can't be used to Sneak Attack with. They're very much a theme over mechanics player.

Compared to the Artificer's Returning Weapon infusion, this one has better range, but no +1 to-hit and damage. It also requires you to speak its name, so being gagged will stop it, or in an area of Silence. Or just needing to be sneaky. The free proficiency is honestly a ribbon, since it's the same as a spear mechanically.

The only niggling thing is it allows for a two-handed Finesse weapon... But the only real combo I can think of is GWF with Sneak Attack, which is nice, but not broken.

brian 333
2022-03-13, 12:31 AM
May I add a second item and make it a set?

Sehaugin Skin Armor

This armor is crafted from the hide of a once living sentient being, and as such, its use is an Evil act.

It is +1 leather armor which confers the following properties when worn:
Swim 30' per round
Water Breathing as the spell
Disguise, (Sehaugin) +20, (+5 vs Sehaugin)
Comprehend Language (Sehaugin) including reading and speaking.

The entire suit must be worn to confer any benefits. If the mask or even a glove is removed, all of the benefits are lost until the suit is fully donned.

Because of the nature of the suit, devils will immediately notice it. If a devil can make a deal with the wearer it will honor the deal with devilish scruples. If it cannot, the devil will likely place a curse on the wearer that reveals who and what he is to every sehaugin in the sea.

Even if a devil is never encountered, any sehaugin that catches on to the disguise will likely react with hostility.

JNAProductions
2022-03-13, 12:37 AM
May I add a second item and make it a set?

Sehaugin Skin Armor

This armor is crafted from the hide of a once living sentient being, and as such, its use is an Evil act.

It is +1 leather armor which confers the following properties when worn:
Swim 30' per round
Water Breathing as the spell
Disguise, (Sehaugin) +20, (+5 vs Sehaugin)
Comprehend Language (Sehaugin) including reading and speaking.

The entire suit must be worn to confer any benefits. If the mask or even a glove is removed, all of the benefits are lost until the suit is fully donned.

Because of the nature of the suit, devils will immediately notice it. If a devil can make a deal with the wearer it will honor the deal with devilish scruples. If it cannot, the devil will likely place a curse on the wearer that reveals who and what he is to every sehaugin in the sea.

Even if a devil is never encountered, any sehaugin that catches on to the disguise will likely react with hostility.

Is that 3rd edition stats? Because this is a 5th edition item.

brian 333
2022-03-15, 02:57 PM
I never bought the 5e books.