PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Warlock questions, invoactions and other things.

Mordante
2022-03-06, 03:02 PM
Question about Warlock invocations. I have been looking in the net but I get contradicting results. If I understand correctly A level 20 Warlock will end up with 12 invocations.
3 least
3 lesser
3 greater
3 dark
Can a warlock choose the same invocation multiple times. Or can he cast 3 lesser invocations per day, chosen from the ones the Warlock knows? Meaning if he knows different 3 lesser invocations can the Warlock can choose the cast the same one 3 times. I ask this because I was look at this website
https://rpgbot.net/dnd35/characters/classes/warlock/invocations/
Where it says:
Dark Foresight: Combines the effects of Foresight and Telepathic Link, both of which are fantastic. The duration is 10 minutes/level, so be sure to refresh it repeatedly throughout the day. Since it is a Dark Invocation I don't see how it can be refreshed repeatedly throughout the day.

Regarding the feat, Extra Invocation. When the feat is chosen will it have the same Invocation stuck to the feat forever or can the Invocation be upgraded as the Warlock levels?

A question about Claws
feat:
Deformity (Clawed Hands)
Benefit: The character has the ability to deal 1d6 points of damage as an unarmed claw attack. The character is considered armed even when unarmed.
feat:
Improved Unarmed Strike
Benefit You are considered to be armed even when unarmed

Does this mean that having Deformity automatically means a character has the feat Improved Unarmed Strike and thus qualifies for Superior Unarmed Strike?

Troacctid
2022-03-06, 03:18 PM
Question about Warlock invocations. I have been looking in the net but I get contradicting results. If I understand correctly A level 20 Warlock will end up with 12 invocations.
3 least
3 lesser
3 greater
3 dark
Can a warlock choose the same invocation multiple times. Or can he cast 3 lesser invocations per day, chosen from the ones the Warlock knows? Meaning if he knows different 3 lesser invocations can the Warlock can choose the cast the same one 3 times.
You cannot choose the same invocation multiple times. Warlock invocations do not have a daily limit; they are usable at will.

Regarding the feat, Extra Invocation. When the feat is chosen will it have the same Invocation stuck to the feat forever or can the Invocation be upgraded as the Warlock levels?
The invocation is fixed, but it can be retrained at any level that grants an additional invocation, as described in the invocations class ability. It can only be exchanged for an invocation of the same grade; it cannot be upgraded.

A question about Claws
feat:
Deformity (Clawed Hands)
Benefit: The character has the ability to deal 1d6 points of damage as an unarmed claw attack. The character is considered armed even when unarmed.
feat:
Improved Unarmed Strike
Benefit You are considered to be armed even when unarmed

Does this mean that having Deformity automatically means a character has the feat Improved Unarmed Strike and thus qualifies for Superior Unarmed Strike?
No. They're different feats that just happen to have similar effects.

Mordante
2022-03-06, 04:41 PM
You cannot choose the same invocation multiple times. Warlock invocations do not have a daily limit; they are usable at will.

Are you sure about this? Is there any rule reference to this? I know Eldritch Bolt can be cast all day long, but I don't think that is a Invocation.

Troacctid
2022-03-06, 04:54 PM
Are you sure about this? Is there any rule reference to this? I know Eldritch Bolt can be cast all day long, but I don't think that is a Invocation.
Yes. It's in the invocations class feature. Page 7.

Tzardok
2022-03-06, 04:54 PM
a) It's directly in the description of the class feature Invocations in Complete Arcane, at the end of the first paragraph: A warlock can use any invocation he knows at will, (https://srd.dndtools.org/srd/classes/baseCarc/warlock.html)

b) I'm pretty sure the Eldritch Blast counts as a special invocation.

Melayl
2022-03-06, 07:14 PM
Troacctid's Warlockopedia is, arguably, the best 3.5 Warlock Handbook on the web. You can most certainly trust her answers.

Mordante
2022-03-07, 04:02 AM
a) It's directly in the description of the class feature Invocations in Complete Arcane, at the end of the first paragraph: A warlock can use any invocation he knows at will, (https://srd.dndtools.org/srd/classes/baseCarc/warlock.html)

b) I'm pretty sure the Eldritch Blast counts as a special invocation.

A:
But does "at will" mean multiple times per day? I'm not sure about that. I will have to ask my DM what he thinks about it.

B:
Invocations and Eldritch Blast: Eldritch blast is not an
invocation, but some invocations provide a warlock with
the ability to modify his eldritch blast or add new eldritch
attacks.

I will have a look at the Troacctid's Warlockopedia.

Tzardok
2022-03-07, 04:31 AM
But does "at will" mean multiple times per day? I'm not sure about that. I will have to ask my DM what he thinks about it.

"At will" means "as often as you want". Have you never looked into the description of, for example, the balor? It has spell-like abilities that can be used once a day, some that can be used thrice a day, and some that can be used at will.

KillianHawkeye
2022-03-07, 11:31 AM
A:

Yes, that's exactly what it means. It's in the definition of Spell-like Abilities (and note that warlock invocations are all a type of SLA).

A spell-like ability usually has a limit on how often it can be used. A spell-like ability that can be used at will has no use limit.

Spamming your few known powers all day is the whole point of being a warlock.

Rebel7284
2022-03-09, 03:39 AM
I have to say that I am not a fan of the wording "at will." In plain English, it implies that you can use the ability in question whenever you want, but that's not the case. You can only use the ability on your turn and you still need to typically use a standard action (unless specified otherwise.)

Thus, it's a poor design decision in my view.

They should have just said that the ability can be used any number of times per day without making folks double check a glossary. They saved some ink by making the rules more confusing.

sreservoir
2022-03-09, 05:48 AM
I have to say that I am not a fan of the wording "at will." In plain English, it implies that you can use the ability in question whenever you want, but that's not the case. You can only use the ability on your turn and you still need to typically use a standard action (unless specified otherwise.)

Thus, it's a poor design decision in my view.

They should have just said that the ability can be used any number of times per day without making folks double check a glossary. They saved some ink by making the rules more confusing.

There's this funky line on PH 140 about failing concentration on spells that says "If you cast at will (as a sorcerer or bard does), it counts against your daily limit of spells even though you did not cast it successfully." This doesn't make much sense at face value, but you can kind of infer from context that they meant "spontaneously", probably.

Unfortunately, that line made it into the SRD with parenthetical example text removed, and there it reads "If you cast at will, it counts against your daily limit of spells even though you did not cast it successfully."

Mordante
2022-03-09, 06:32 AM
TBH I think the whole Warlock concept was never fully worked out. Almost no PrC works great with a Warlock. But so far I enjoy playing my Warlock. But any class can be fun to play it all in the role playing.

I will be going into a custom build acolyte of the skin and then hellfire warlock, if my character survives long enough. Loretta the 18ish year old female Warlock, lawful evil.