PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Spell: Bone Shape (PEACH)

Tekren
2022-03-06, 08:38 PM
I've always been somewhat annoyed at the lack of non-combat Necromancy spells, so I made one.

Bone Shape
2nd Level Necromancy Spell
Casting time: 1 Minute
Range:Touch
Components:V,S,
Duration: 10 Minutes (Concentration)

The caster can reshape up to one cubic foot of bone per minute. The bone shaped cannot be in a creature, although it can affect non-animated corpses. Bone extracted from a corpse will slough off any flesh attached to it.Weapons and armor made of bone are fragile, breaking and becoming unusable after a critical hit or failure. Creating bone tools, instruments, or gaming sets requires the relevant proficiency.

------
Beyond making just weaponry, I like the idea of all these creepy/cool things a necromancer could make. Chess sets. Cutlery. Home furnishings.
Unlike Fabricate, the scope is very limited, and selling people things made from bone is kinda suspect.

Loek
2022-03-07, 05:07 AM
Oh I like this. Instant tools, instant creep factor.

And due to the fragility (instant failure on critical hits/misses, which I hope also apply to items made?) means it's hard to abuse to create instant walls and such?

The clause "living person" is probably to narrow though. As this excludes creatures, constructs and most importantly the undead. I'd probably make it something like "inside a creature, though it can affect their corpses" or some such.

And finally, the level originally made me worried, but the scaled down scope, the fact that it's not instantaneous and the other aspects make it seem okay.

(It does make me nostalgic for the bone ninja dude from Naruto... and makes me wonder if a level 4/5 version with a material cost that makes non-fragile things wouldn't be cool)

Tekren
2022-03-07, 06:44 AM
Oops, thanks for catching that. Yeah, the spell doesn’t affect creatures of any sort, although it can target their corpses.

This was oddly inspired by my dad, who had a old chess set carved from cow bones.(He was a farmer) Waste not, want not!

JNAProductions
2022-03-08, 01:44 PM
If a player asked for this spell in a game I was running, I'd allow it without a second thought (assuming you update the text so it no longer works on undead and other non-living but still animate creatures, as suggested by Loek).

In other words... It's cool! I like it. :)