PDA

View Full Version : Warlock Patron: Brandon Sanderson

Falcon X
2022-03-06, 11:51 PM
The is the first draft of my Pacto o' Brando. Please give advice and criticism.

Despite it's wordiness and abundance of flavor abilities, I did make an effort towards balance. It's main damage boost is Essence of Wit. At worst, it allows for a 1-3d6 extra damage in a round (Concentration required before Major Image can be permanencied). Optimized for it, it never scales past a Rogue's sneak attack, and it would be difficult to maintain and hold enough illusions to stay at that power level.

https://i.ibb.co/mDkxj2n/erase4.png

Otherworldly Patron
The Sanderson
It is said that Brandon Sanderson once existed as a great epicist and taught the greatest epicists for an age. So great was his teaching that no deity would accept his spirit into death, and thus it was cast into the unknown space between spaces where it lives on as a vestige, calling to the universe from beyond the void. No longer able to teach his ways formally, he instead imparts ability directly, and with power, to all those who pact with him.

As master of a hundred magics and a thousand natures of being, while some vestiges scratch angrily at their confines, Sanderson has come to understand in full what he has become. There is no secret of what new system of being he falls under, and how to exploit this system he is a part of to his fullest advantage. His compactees likewise seek to understand the nature of the universe, and in turn theorize their own.

Expanded Spell List
The Sanderson lets you choose from an expanded list of spells when you learn a warlock spell. The following are added to the warlock spell list for you.

Sandersonian Expanded Spells
| Spell Level | Spells |
|:----:|:-------------|
| 1st | goodberry, silent image |
| 2nd | alter self, calm emotions |
| 3rd | sending, wall of sand |
| 4th | fabricate, faithful hound |
| 5th | animate objects, legend lore |

Epic Tale
Starting at 1st level, you gain proficiency in Novel Writing Tools. Further, you can inscribe a tale so evocative and so moving that it conveys persuasive and exciting power with it's mere words. The creature who looks upon the tale instantly absorbs, understands, and is moved by the tale as if they had spent hours pondering it. To create an epic tale requires the warlock to spend an hour in dedicated work.

Upon writing, you may weave in one of two effects. The first identical to the spell Charm Person. However, the target does not know they were charmed once the spell is over. The second effect is that of inspiration. When the reader views the Epic Tale, they gain an Epic Tale die, and can roll it to add the result to an ability check, attack roll, or saving throw. The inspiration die is lost if not used after 10 minutes. The creature can wait until after it rolls the d20 before deciding to use the Epic Tale die, but must decide before the DM says whether the roll succeeds or fails. Once the Epic Tale die is rolled, it is lost. A creature can have only one Epic Tale die at a time. Your Epic Tale die changes when you reach certain levels in this class. The die starts as a d6, but becomes a d8 at 6th level, a d10 at 10th level, and a d12 at 14th level.
An Epic Tale, in written form, retains it's magical potency for 1 day per point of your Charisma modifier (minimum of 1 day). You may write a single Epic Tale per day.

The Swift Handerson of Sanderson
Starting at 1st level, you can stretch time, not giving more hours in the day, but stretching each moment out to it's maximum capacity. As a bonus action, where you have a writing implement in hand and it is moving, you gain the benefits of a full round's worth of thoughts in a mere second, as well as making small movements with equal speed. Thus, what would have once taken an hour to write now takes ten minutes. Additionally, you have advantage on intelligence saving throws, as you have plenty of time to process the information.

Essence of Wit
Starting at 6th level, your ability to speak the right word and turn the right phrase becomes such that the forces of the universe bend to it's power. You are able to infuse some of your illusions with the power of belief, making them practically real. You may make Essence of Wit come into effect while casting the minor illusion cantrip, as well as the silent image or major image spells.
The image produced looks identical to how it would normally, except that, following a mental command by the caster, it may move and act on the caster's turn by using it's action to make a single attack using the caster's ranged spell attack. It may also lift and carry objects at any point that the spell is active. For a medium or smaller illusion, the image may lift 10 pounds and deal 1d6 psychic damage per attack. If the illusion is Large or Huge, it may lift 40 pounds and deal 2d6 psychic damage per attack. If the illusion is Gargantuan, it may lift 80 pounds and deal 3d6 psychic damage per attack.
Observers make saving throws with disadvantage due to the added believability of the image. In the case of a major image, if an observer is able to discern the image for what it is, their disbelief stops any future damage from being done by that illusion.
Only two illusions may be affected by Essence of Wit at a time. At Level 18, this limit increases to three illusions at one time.

The Right Word
At 6th level, if you listen to a creature use a language or dialect for at least 1 minute, you may roll a Charisma (Insight) check. The DC is 12 for a native to your plane, 17 for an outsider, and 22 for an aberration or being beyond normal comprehension. If you succeed, for the next 24 hours, you are able to read and write in a way that conveys precise and nuanced meaning in the language or dialect of the creature observed.

Expanded Spell List
By 10th level, you have become so adept at understanding other magic systems that you are able to integrate some of them into your own. Choose three spells, one each from three spell lists of a class other than warlock, and add them to the warlock spell list for you. A spell you choose must be of a level you can cast, as shown on the warlock table, or a cantrip.

Magic Expertise
At 10th level, you gain proficiency in the Arcana skill. If you are already proficient in the skill, you add double your proficiency bonus to checks you make with it.

At 14th level, you gain the ability to summon warriors of legend to your aid. As an action, you can summon 1d4+1 Berserkers that appear within 60 feet of you. They disappear after 1 hour or when they drop to 0 hit points. The berserkers are considered constructs residing on the ethereal plane. They have resistance to all attacks that are not stated to effect ethereal creatures, and no damage from non-magical weapons. Their weapons are considered magical and effect ethereal and material creatures as normal. To the warlock and their allies, these exalted dead appear like a noble troop of spectral warriors. Their enemies, however, behold the terrible wrath of the ancient heroes of their own legends, and must succeed at a wisdom saving throw or be frightened for 1 round per summoned berserker. This action cannot be taken again until 7 days have passed.

Loek
2022-03-07, 04:59 AM
First off: I'd give a different expanded spell than Silent Image at level 1. I know that the level 6 feature can use it, but the Warlock can already gain the "Misty Vision" invocation and gets to cast it for free, from then on. (Which I'm sure isn't going to be causing problems later :-p)

Epic Tale is... strong. Really strong. Sure, the fact that it must be read might limit things, but as written, viewing it is enough (so you can just flash it and instantly anything with eyes is affected). Beyond this, you get unlimited Charm Person, without the normal downside. And unlimited Bardic Inspirations.

So yeah... Warlocks and unlimited kind of go hand in hand (or used to), but still... having a different classes' "main" feature, but more often and easier is a bad idea. And removing the downside of the charm spell, is going to break the non-fighting bit of a campaign somewhat badly.

The Swift Handerson of Sanderson has 2 issues:
1) It instantly cuts the time needed for Epic Tale (which is gained at the same level... so... yeah)
2) The Advantage on intelligence saving throws... only for a round, only for the 10 minutes, only while writing, or permanent? (Depending on how much you cut out of Epic Tale, a permanent advantage on intelligence saves isn't that bad, as it's one of the secondary saves)

Essence of Wit this one is cool, but very broken. For a number of reasons:
1) The "mental command" is not specified as an action type, so it's a free action. This means that you get up to 2 minions at all times that you can do damage with, with practically no cost except for the initial casting (well 1 is free for 1 minute, only requiring casting; the other is free except for the casting/concentration - so a 1d6 for almost free and a 2d6 for concentration)
2) Note that the cantrip normally can't be moved and the other's would normally require an action, thus making above "mental action" even stronger.
3) Only the major image has section on no longer doing damage due to non-believe... the other 2 (the spammable ones) keep doing damage even then.
4) Have I mentioned that 2 of the 3 spells are spammable for the warlock?
5) the disadvantage on disbelieving them is massive, and would qualify as a leve 10-14 illusionist class feature with ease on their own
6) no speed, ac, hp, saves or anything on the illusions? (speed is needed, the rest might be useful to tone down this feature)
7) the limit of 2 (and later on 3) illusions is nice, but since you need concentration for 2 of the 3 spells affected anyhow (and the cantrip can only have 1 image up at a time), this is a moot points. See also below:

Thankfully you'll never be able to cast 6th level major image, so no permanent creatures/things, as that would break things even further.

The other features are okayish (though I have some ideas about the 1 round per berserker frightend thing, which makes that feature a bit too much like a possible win button), but the above is... way too much.

Also the overal feel of the class is a bit too all over the place:

A charming
Inspiring bard
That has summonable minions
And super illusions
Writes in a weird version of tongues (written only... also how do you read to convey perfect meaning?)
While knowing bardic spell secrets
And being a magical master
That summons the dread undead to aid him

Also, you could just be a lore bard. (Maybe give the cutting words a fluff flip, meaning it boosts your allies instead of distracting the enemies and call it a day?)

Falcon X
2022-03-07, 10:43 AM
First off: I'd give a different expanded spell than Silent Image at level 1. I know that the level 6 feature can use it, but the Warlock can already gain the "Misty Vision" invocation and gets to cast it for free, from then on. (Which I'm sure isn't going to be causing problems later :-p)

Epic Tale is... strong. Really strong. Sure, the fact that it must be read might limit things, but as written, viewing it is enough (so you can just flash it and instantly anything with eyes is affected). Beyond this, you get unlimited Charm Person, without the normal downside. And unlimited Bardic Inspirations.

So yeah... Warlocks and unlimited kind of go hand in hand (or used to), but still... having a different classes' "main" feature, but more often and easier is a bad idea. And removing the downside of the charm spell, is going to break the non-fighting bit of a campaign somewhat badly.

The Swift Handerson of Sanderson has 2 issues:
1) It instantly cuts the time needed for Epic Tale (which is gained at the same level... so... yeah)
2) The Advantage on intelligence saving throws... only for a round, only for the 10 minutes, only while writing, or permanent? (Depending on how much you cut out of Epic Tale, a permanent advantage on intelligence saves isn't that bad, as it's one of the secondary saves)

Essence of Wit this one is cool, but very broken. For a number of reasons:
1) The "mental command" is not specified as an action type, so it's a free action. This means that you get up to 2 minions at all times that you can do damage with, with practically no cost except for the initial casting (well 1 is free for 1 minute, only requiring casting; the other is free except for the casting/concentration - so a 1d6 for almost free and a 2d6 for concentration)
2) Note that the cantrip normally can't be moved and the other's would normally require an action, thus making above "mental action" even stronger.
3) Only the major image has section on no longer doing damage due to non-believe... the other 2 (the spammable ones) keep doing damage even then.
4) Have I mentioned that 2 of the 3 spells are spammable for the warlock?
5) the disadvantage on disbelieving them is massive, and would qualify as a leve 10-14 illusionist class feature with ease on their own
6) no speed, ac, hp, saves or anything on the illusions? (speed is needed, the rest might be useful to tone down this feature)
7) the limit of 2 (and later on 3) illusions is nice, but since you need concentration for 2 of the 3 spells affected anyhow (and the cantrip can only have 1 image up at a time), this is a moot points. See also below:

Thankfully you'll never be able to cast 6th level major image, so no permanent creatures/things, as that would break things even further.

The other features are okayish (though I have some ideas about the 1 round per berserker frightend thing, which makes that feature a bit too much like a possible win button), but the above is... way too much.

Also the overal feel of the class is a bit too all over the place:

A charming
Inspiring bard
That has summonable minions
And super illusions
Writes in a weird version of tongues (written only... also how do you read to convey perfect meaning?)
While knowing bardic spell secrets
And being a magical master
That summons the dread undead to aid him

Also, you could just be a lore bard. (Maybe give the cutting words a fluff flip, meaning it boosts your allies instead of distracting the enemies and call it a day?)
On-point analysis, and exactly what I came for. Though I think it's both better and worse in some areas, so I'll talk through them.

Good point on Silent Image being an invocation. I tried to avoid things like that, as the canon subclasses do. One thing to change...

Epic Tale - I think you're missing the limiter I put at the back end. It's specified that only one may be written in a day and no more than your CHA modifier may exist at a time. This is worse than bardic inspiration by a good bit. However, the charm effect is quite strong. I'll think on that...

Handerson of Sanderson - Yes,I did many intentional connections between class abilities :) It is also supposed to read that it is only in effect while you are using your bonus action that round. This is largely a flavor skill.

Essence of Wit:
- Blarg. Yeah, Minor illusion not moving has to be addressed unless I call it a land mine. Which would be pretty nifty...
- Also Blarg. The note on Major Illusion was due to a misreading on my part. Also... I misread that you Mystic Arcanum MUST be for a 6th level slot. The limiting to 2 at a time was actually to account for people creating 2 at a time.
- The lack of AC, HP, etc. was also due to me misreading. I'll at least change it to some kind of "if you realize it is an illusion, it cannot harm you," which is what I intended.

Overall response:
- Two of the class abilities (Epic Tale and the Berserker thing) here are directly taken from the Pathfinder class "Chronicler", which is why they might read a little more out of place with the rest of the theme. I'm not sure diversity is a bad thing though. Many warlock patrons have abilities that have little to do with each other in terms of what they do, but are only connected by flavor. The flavor here is, obviously, that it's a joke subclass riffing off a real-life person. Still... I'd like it to be respectably playable.
- The theme should be: Master storyteller of magic systems who sometimes uses manifest illusions to tell his stories. Yeah... it became more of a minionmancer as I went. But It's all very Sandersonesque.
- I think if I take out something completely, it will either be the Epic Tale or Magic Secrets, as they are the biggest things that add the least to the theme. Still, I might just nerf them into something pure flavor.
- Yeah, I'm going to overhaul Essence of Wit. I like it, but it's definitely the thing here full of problems that I just didn't see. Thanks!

I'll begin work on v2.0. Let me know if you have any responses to my responses or if you have an idea of something I didn't have. Thanks!

Eldan
2022-03-07, 11:14 AM
Since this week, I also feel it should have the ability to summon incredible amounts of money.

Loek
2022-03-07, 12:48 PM
Epic Tale - I think you're missing the limiter I put at the back end. It's specified that only one may be written in a day and no more than your CHA modifier may exist at a time. This is worse than bardic inspiration by a good bit. However, the charm effect is quite strong. I'll think on that...

Ah, if it's intended like that, it might be better. But still, there are 2 issues left (probably not intended, but also not described):
1) Nowhere in the ability does it mention that the Epic Tale is consumed on use...
2) The whole view to get the effect thing, still means you can mass inspire/charm

I'll be back later, as I'm curious to what this will become.

Falcon X
2022-03-07, 04:45 PM
Since this week, I also feel it should have the ability to summon incredible amounts of money.
Marketing and distribution is unaccounted for in this class, and I feel like if I could pull that off in a way that could be used in combat, I'd replace the shadow stuff with it and make the class focused on it's novel writing aspects instead of it's spectacle storytelling aspects.
Skywright spell could be a start...

As it stands, the class is built to write very quickly, as well as Fabricate+Novel Writing tool proficiency can (with DMs permission) be used to mass produce them.

Falcon X
2022-03-07, 04:47 PM
Ah, if it's intended like that, it might be better. But still, there are 2 issues left (probably not intended, but also not described):
1) Nowhere in the ability does it mention that the Epic Tale is consumed on use...
2) The whole view to get the effect thing, still means you can mass inspire/charm

I'll be back later, as I'm curious to what this will become.
Ooooooooh. I didn't catch your meaning on that the first time. Yep, it wasn't intended to have mass effect or be unlimited. And it shouldn't either.