PDA

View Full Version : Options for an ancient "Egyptian" themed healer class/subclass?

werescythe
2022-03-07, 12:18 AM
So I've had some ideas for a character that is a drow healer that has sort of an Egyptian theme to them, however I've discovered that there are a few fitting options for the class/subclass. One being a Grave Cleric and the other being a Land (Desert) Druid.

Thus I have 2 questions:
1) Which of these would you say is better?
2) Is there perhaps another healer class that could also fit this really well?

Unoriginal
2022-03-07, 12:52 AM
So I've had some ideas for a character that is a drow healer that has sort of an Egyptian theme to them, however I've discovered that there are a few fitting options for the class/subclass. One being a Grave Cleric and the other being a Land (Desert) Druid.

Thus I have 2 questions:
1) Which of these would you say is better?
2) Is there perhaps another healer class that could also fit this really well?

Life Cleric, Divine Soul Sorcerer (power from divine lineage), Celestial Sorcerer (acquired power through secret lore about the gods) and Alchemist Artificier (pharmakons and amulets to heal) all could work.

Dualswinger
2022-03-07, 01:37 AM
What are you looking for as a hallmark of “Egyptian”? Flavouring is free, so you can easily alter most class aesthetics to suit a desert like theme.

E.g. Say the temp hp from peace domain cleric is a physical sand barrier

nickl_2000
2022-03-07, 08:03 AM
Way of Mercy Monk possibly?

You don't need armor (fits into deserts well), you can effectively fight with simple weapons (A sickle or shortsword could easily be a Khopesh). The Merciful Mask could be flavoured easily as well.

Rashagar
2022-03-07, 02:16 PM
Personally I think I'd go for the desert Land Druid option, since the druid spell list has everything I would want to bring an "Egyptian" theme together.

JLandan
2022-03-07, 02:23 PM
Divine Soul Sorcerer or Celestial Warlock, especially with Drow. Personally, I like the Celestial Warlock for a more Egyptian flavor, but, as has been posted, flavor is free. Second choice would be Grave Cleric. Then Divine Soul Sorcerer. Druids, to me, while they can heal, it isn't their main gig.

ender241
2022-03-07, 02:43 PM
How about a Circle of Dreams Druid? The connection to the Feywild can easily be reflavored as a connection to an Egyptian land. They can heal more than most Druids. And I don't know, just something about a dream-walker type seems vaguely Egyptian to me.

JLandan
2022-03-07, 02:48 PM
How about a Circle of Dreams Druid? The connection to the Feywild can easily be reflavored as a connection to an Egyptian land. They can heal more than most Druids. And I don't know, just something about a dream-walker type seems vaguely Egyptian to me.

Stars Druid too. Egyptians were very much the astrologers.

Samayu
2022-03-07, 09:11 PM
I played a tabaxi grave cleric. Priest of Anubis. I enjoyed it. My spirit guardians were flying scarabs. Seems like that was about the extent of the Egyptianness, though.

Segev
2022-03-08, 10:17 AM
The third party book "Valda's Spire of Secrets" has a cleric cantrip called "eye of Ra" that shoots radiant blasts from your eyes with naught but a holy symbol as a component. Same book features "eye of Anubis" on the cleric and warlock lists, which is similar but does necrotic damage.

That would probably contribute to your flavor pretty well.

Light or Life cleric seem to me like they would work for an Egyptian themed healer. They had a sun god, after all. Maybe a falcon aarakockra, for the right bird-head?

JLandan
2022-03-09, 02:30 PM
I once played in a multiverse game where we could be from anywhere in space and time. I chose to play an executioner to the Pharoah from back in old Egypt.

This was 3.5 edition, I ran him as a Dread Necromancer from Heroes of Horror, which is mostly a caster, but got one martial weapon, so I took a greatsword for executions. His whole bag was that when he executed or defeated an enemy, he would provide the soul of the deceased an opportunity for redemption in the afterlife by using their bodies or souls to mete out justice in this world.

Necromancy without being specifically evil. The dead and undead are viewed very differently in Egyptian culture then Christian influenced medieval culture, which is the basis for most D&D settings.

Unfortunately, the DM, after giving the okay for this character concept, ruled counter to his agreement and declared all necromancy to be inherently evil (completely misunderstanding the character concept), and I had to abandon the character.

Throne12
2022-03-10, 04:52 PM
I would say just play what ever class you like Mechanically them just flavor everything.

ShehaQM
2022-03-10, 08:03 PM
Not sure if this is the sort of thing you’re looking for, but Wizards put out a short, free PDF of player options for characters from the MtG “ancient Egypt” setting Amonkhet with 5 Cleric domains based around the gods of that setting. The Solidarity Domain especially might be a good fit if your DM allows it.

elyktsorb
2022-03-10, 11:03 PM
Wildfire Druid, reskin the wildfire spirit as desert heat or an Egyptian thing relating to it. Replace fire with burning sand.