PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Martial Ranger with paths

Scuronotte
2022-03-08, 01:47 PM
https://www.gmbinder.com/share/-Mov6-D4YzwIxn4k3wr9

I love playing rangers, preferably without magic. The PHB and UA rangers have always been lacking to me, so I have created my own version that offers both combat and utility, much like a bard.
This also includes revamped and new paths (conclaves). They can be played with a ranger with spellcasting, but one would need to create bonus spells.

I would love thoughts and suggestions.

Thank you.

Calen
2022-03-10, 03:54 PM
First off - wow that is a lot of work you have done. Looks very impressive. However at your request I will provide some nit-picky comments.

Astute Is there a reason this is not expertise? Mostly as a uniformity question with published material.

Herbal Healing You could clarify whether the amount of items prepared is 1+(min1) or min1. Is it intended that the type of mixtures are selected at preparation or at use?

Feral Senses Consider Having those with the Blind Fighting improve Feral senses or vice versa.

Master Hunter This seems to interact weirdly if the ranger is surprised. Maybe add "If you are not surprised"

Vampires Lifeblood Immune to poison damage, the poisoned condition or both?

Dark Moon "Also, you can use a bonus action to expend one Wild Shape change to regain 1d10 hit points per number of Wild Shapes expended." Shouldn't that just be regaining 1d10 hitpoints? You also get more wild shape uses than a druid? Lastly the " the attacks you make in beast form count as magical for the purpose of overcoming resistance and immunity to nonmagical attacks and damage." is listed at level 6 and 7.

Hells Vision (Deep Stalker) how does this interact with Hunters Eye?

Critical Strike (Ghost) This seems powerful enough to have a limited number of uses (Wisdom Mod Per Long Rest?)

Deflect Spells (Spellbreaker) I think I understand what the feature does but it could be rewritten for clarity.

Scuronotte
2022-03-11, 09:57 PM
First off - wow that is a lot of work you have done. Looks very impressive. However at your request I will provide some nit-picky comments.

Thank you for the critique/comments. Yes, ranger is my favorite class, or should I say the concept. I do not see them as nit-picky but very helpful. Thak you for your time.

Astute Is there a reason this is not expertise? Mostly as a uniformity question with published material.

Because it also includes the benefit of gaining 2 languages.

Herbal Healing You could clarify whether the amount of items prepared is 1+(min1) or min1. Is it intended that the type of mixtures are selected at preparation or at use?

It is meant to be that it takes 1 hour to prepare the mixtures. The mixtures are prepared during the 1-hour time and cannot be changed. I will have to word it better.

Feral Senses Consider Having those with the Blind Fighting improve Feral senses or vice versa.

Feral Senses is better so a player would most likely change their fighting style at that point.

Master Hunter This seems to interact weirdly if the ranger is surprised. Maybe add "If you are not surprised"

You are correct. Or I may just add "you cannot be surprised"? The class is focused on striking first.

Vampires Lifeblood Immune to poison damage, the poisoned condition or both?

To both. It is worded as the Monk's "Purity of Body."

Dark Moon "Also, you can use a bonus action to expend one Wild Shape change to regain 1d10 hit points per number of Wild Shapes expended." Shouldn't that just be regaining 1d10 hitpoints? You also get more wild shape uses than a druid? Lastly the " the attacks you make in beast form count as magical for the purpose of overcoming resistance and immunity to nonmagical attacks and damage." is listed at level 6 and 7.

You are correct about the 1d10, I will correct. Very poorly worded. It was on purpose Ranger gets more wild shape as they do not get spells or extra damage bonuses. To compensate for, an additional shape shift was awarded. Did not catch the duplication of that feature at 6th and 7th level. Intention was at 6th level. Will correct.

Hells Vision (Deep Stalker) how does this interact with Hunters Eye?

Both features are different abilities. So, no overlap or conflict.

Critical Strike (Ghost) This seems powerful enough to have a limited number of uses (Wisdom Mod Per Long Rest?)

I thought since your movement is 0, lose your bonus action, and make only 1 attack that turn, that would be enough of a penalty.

Deflect Spells (Spellbreaker) I think I understand what the feature does but it could be rewritten for clarity.

The first part of the feature is mostly taken verbatum from the magic Item Ring of Spell turning. The second part is mine. I will try better

Thank you again. Greatly appreciated.

Calen
2022-03-12, 09:30 AM
Feral Senses is better so a player would most likely change their fighting style at that point.

Just gives them a 1 level deadzone where the skill and fighting style overlap. You could just add "If you have the Blind Fighting Fighting Style you may immediately select a new Fighting Style."

You are correct. Or I may just add "you cannot be surprised"? The class is focused on striking first.

That's is what the Alert feat does so that makes the most sense.

I thought since your movement is 0, lose your bonus action, and make only 1 attack that turn, that would be enough of a penalty.

The concern I have is that there are (IIRC) no stuns not tied to resources. (Ki points or spell slots)

Thank you again. Greatly appreciated.
I have been looking for a good spell-less ranger for a while, I will be borrowing this :smallbiggrin:

Scuronotte
2022-03-12, 10:11 PM
I have been looking for a good spell-less ranger for a while, I will be borrowing this :smallbiggrin:

Have fun. If you can, let me know how it goes and what path you chose and why.