PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Pathfinder Spheres, Caster Level and Feats

samduke
2022-03-08, 09:28 PM
okay I need some help here
I do not want to use a spheres caster if I can do some other option, this is what I find

Basic Magic Training
Prerequisite: No casting class feature.
Benefit: Choose a sphere of magic. You gain access to this basic sphere. You gain an effective caster level of 1

Extra Magic Talent
Prerequisite: Basic Magic Training or casting class feature.
Benefit: Gain an additional sphere or a talent from a sphere you possess. You may take this feat multiple times. The effects stack.

now in this instance the non caster class will be level 10, the question would be does the training feat make the non-casting class grant caster level 10?

if not how to get the caster level to 10?

StSword
2022-03-08, 09:55 PM
No.

if you want to advance your spherecaster level, you need to take the Advanced Magic Training feat, which will make you a lowcaster, which gives you a spherecaster level every other level, so you won't gain caster level 10 until you hit level 20.

Basic magic training and extra magic talent will give you multiple talents, but all at caster level one.

If you want more than to dip your toes into spheres of power, you might want to look for an archetype that lets you play the class you want and still give sphere goodies.

Are you aware of the wiki? It has a list of sphere archetypes that you can find on this page (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/).

Or at least I am assuming that your desire to not take a spherecasting class is that you didn't like the archetypes you've seen for whatever classes you desire to play.

samduke
2022-03-09, 06:59 AM
the class I am looking at does not look like it has a high caster archetype

Kitsuneymg
2022-03-09, 07:19 AM
Maybe you could say a bit more about what you are trying to do and what resources you have available?

For example, there are traits and feats that buff your caster level in one sphere. There are implements that do so as well. But I don’t feel like playing 20 questions on a play by post. So please just ask the question you’re really after.

samduke
2022-03-09, 11:28 AM
Maybe you could say a bit more about what you are trying to do and what resources you have available?

For example, there are traits and feats that buff your caster level in one sphere. There are implements that do so as well. But I don’t feel like playing 20 questions on a play by post. So please just ask the question you’re really after.

the door is more or less wide open
consider Spheres that are not 3pp, but not others subsystems, consider all normal classes archetypes feats that are not 3pp
consider races that are not 3pp & attributes that work for any sphere class / class no matter what

JNAProductions
2022-03-09, 11:29 AM
consider Spheres that are not 3pp, but not others subsystems, consider all normal classes archetypes feats that are not 3pp
consider a race & attributes that work no matter what

That’s not really an answer. Why be so cagey about what you need help with?

samduke
2022-03-09, 11:31 AM
That’s not really an answer. Why be so cagey about what you need help with?

I was very specific
the NON / SPHERE caster class will be level 10,

I need HIGH CASTER to get what I want

the question would be how to make a non-casting class a HIGH CASTER

JNAProductions
2022-03-09, 11:33 AM
I was very specific
the NON / SPHERE caster class will be level 10,

I need HIGH CASTER to get what I want

the question would be how to make a non-casting class a HIGH CASTER

What class is it? That’s kinda an important detail.

stack
2022-03-09, 12:43 PM
Low caster for 5, talk your GM into letting you make a custom tradition to stack drawbacks and meet their conditions (or pick a tradition that gets you there without a custom; I don't feel like checking them all).

Or just have a +5 staff (implement now? haven't used the system much since USoP) to get one sphere from 5 to 10.

Traits and feats, depending on what sphere you need and what race/class/etc. you want to use.

Combination of the above.

StSword
2022-03-09, 05:52 PM
I'm guessing the OP wants an advanced talent, or maybe some other option behind a minimum level paywall as it were.

There is nothing that will actually make you a highcaster if you are not a highcaster, but there are ways to enhance one's spherecasting level.

There are traits that increase spherecaster level, but not to high caster level.

Off hand, buy a spell engine/wand (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/spell-engines). If you have the base sphere you don't need to know the talent you want to use or make a use magic device check.

Kitsuneymg
2022-03-10, 01:49 AM
As a 10th level character, you can take basic magical training and advanced magical training to get a CL of 5. Various traits can add 1 to a single sphere’s CL. Implements can add up to 5. There are a number of drawbacks that can add 2 to CL in various circumstances. Circle casting exists as well. As no PF effects increase spherecasting levels, that’s about it without getting sphere caster levels.

However, none of these bonuses actually apply as far as feat or talent prerequisites are concerned. At least, by my reading. If you have 10 additional racial HD, that would add another 5 cl with advanced magical training.

Dr_Dinosaur
2022-03-12, 02:54 AM
Only permanent caster level counts when qualifying for prerequisites, so you are unlikely to get higher than CL6 at level 10 without any actual casting classes. Sorry, that's just how the rules work.

icefractal
2022-03-12, 05:42 AM
An implement is permanent if you get it from an Oath boon, so if those are on the table then that's an option.
Also, CL 7, right? AMT + trait.

Kitsuneymg
2022-03-12, 06:05 AM
An implement is permanent if you get it from an Oath boon, so if those are on the table then that's an option.
Also, CL 7, right? AMT + trait.

Unless your GM treats staff bonuses like belt/headband where after 24 hours it becomes “permanent,” then yeah.

But this is why we were asking what OP is actually trying to do and it’s super weird that they’re being so evasive about it. Would solve a lot of issues if they just say “I want to get energy cloud as a fighter 10” or something.