PDA

View Full Version : Will this BeastBarian Change have Adverse Side-Effects?

SociopathFriend
2022-03-09, 01:46 AM
So I make no secret of it- I love teeth, claws, muscles and jaws. I have for quite some time.

I recently have learned of the Beast Barbarian and instantly fallen in love as it allows me to have any of those things when I enter a Rage.

With that said my question is rather simple, is anything going to be broken if I were to manifest the jaws onto an arm? Or both arms once I get Extra Attack? I don't want double the healing or anything like that- just to create more teeth. Is there some absurd scenario where such a thing is too strong?

Personally I hope not- the only thing better than one mouthful of teeth is two and the only thing better than two is three...

I don't have a problem. Stop looking at me like that- I'm hungry darn it!

Kane0
2022-03-09, 02:34 AM
Nah shouldnt be broken. The artificer can have a lightning gun that doesnt any hands, why not give the beastbarian a bite on a hand.

ender241
2022-03-09, 07:29 AM
Not quite sure I understand. This doesn't change anything mechanically, right? Either way, you don't really need a free hand to bite someone. At the end of the day this seems like an "ask your DM" question but I see no reason why they wouldn't allow it.

da newt
2022-03-09, 09:31 AM
A couple questions that came up a while back when we discovered the Yuan Ti Malison type 2 had snakes where a person would have arms/hands:

If you have mouths where hands should be, how do you wipe your butt? (like a cat?)

Can you breathe, eat & talk through your arm mouths?

Do you have the dexterity to write or use tools or wield weapons / shield?

How do you don armor?

SociopathFriend
2022-03-09, 12:31 PM
Not quite sure I understand. This doesn't change anything mechanically, right?

I don't think it changes anything but that's why I'm asking the boards- to see if there is some angle I hadn't considered or some catch that escaped my notice.

Psyren
2022-03-09, 12:39 PM
It's pretty disgusting but I can't think of anything an "arm-bite" would change mechanically.

SociopathFriend
2022-03-09, 12:44 PM
It's pretty disgusting but I can't think of anything an "arm-bite" would change mechanically.

Well the BeastBarian is going to combo with FiendLock so the disgusting angle is kind of the idea.

sithlordnergal
2022-03-09, 02:51 PM
Nothing happens if you make a bite attack with your arm. It might interact strangely if you somehow get Coiling Grasp Tattoo, which lets you make Unarmed Strikes 15 feet away, but that's about it. As far as I'm concerned, fluff it as you wish. As long as the mechanics don't change, then its perfectly fine.

ender241
2022-03-09, 07:40 PM
It might interact strangely if you somehow get Coiling Grasp Tattoo, which lets you make Unarmed Strikes 15 feet away, but that's about it.

I don't think there would be any interaction. The Coiling Grasp tattoo let's you use an action to grapple a creature 15 ft away (not an unarmed attack) with "inky tendrils", not even your arms. Regardless, the Beast Barbarians bite is not an unarmed attack anyway. Not to mention, unarmed attacks can be made with parts of your body other than your arms.

Kane0
2022-03-09, 07:55 PM

Hey now don't kinkshame.

BerzerkerUnit
2022-03-09, 07:58 PM
I don't think it changes anything but that's why I'm asking the boards- to see if there is some angle I hadn't considered or some catch that escaped my notice.

Voltron can wield a sword in the lion mouths, and these mouths only appear during rage, you should be fine.

Hytheter
2022-03-09, 08:41 PM
A couple questions that came up a while back when we discovered the Yuan Ti Malison type 2 had snakes where a person would have arms/hands:

If you have mouths where hands should be, how do you wipe your butt? (like a cat?)

Can you breathe, eat & talk through your arm mouths?

Do you have the dexterity to write or use tools or wield weapons / shield?

How do you don armor?

The beast barbarian weapons only manifest while raging. If you have to worry about wiping your butt in the middle of combat then something has gone terribly wrong.

sithlordnergal
2022-03-09, 08:49 PM
I don't think there would be any interaction. The Coiling Grasp tattoo let's you use an action to grapple a creature 15 ft away (not an unarmed attack) with "inky tendrils", not even your arms. Regardless, the Beast Barbarians bite is not an unarmed attack anyway. Not to mention, unarmed attacks can be made with parts of your body other than your arms.

Oh, you're right, I was thinking about the Eldritch Claw Tattoo, which lets you have a 15ft long reach with weapons and unarmed strikes. And yeah, they can be made with any part of your body, but it'd still look a bit...horrific to have your hand turn into a giant maw and have it reach out 15 feet.

Hytheter
2022-03-09, 09:02 PM
Oh, you're right, I was thinking about the Eldritch Claw Tattoo, which lets you have a 15ft long reach with weapons and unarmed strikes. And yeah, they can be made with any part of your body, but it'd still look a bit...horrific to have your hand turn into a giant maw and have it reach out 15 feet.

The reach from Eldritch Claw is described as 'inky tendrils'. It's not your arms and weapons literally extending.

SociopathFriend
2022-03-10, 02:08 PM
The plan is, in a nutshell, to try and make the DM cry with specifically how much HP he ends up having to chew through.

So we'll have FiendLock to get access to temp HP for every kill and a second level for at-will False Life. Dunno what the other Invocation will be. Prob the dark sight or the 'pull' eldritch blast.

Additionally BeastBarian offers the change to heal once I fall below half HP. Any restored HP value isn't exactly doubled via Rage since not everything is Slashing, Piercing, or Bludgeoning, but it's definitely an improved use of HP compared to most other classes.

sithlordnergal
2022-03-10, 02:31 PM
The plan is, in a nutshell, to try and make the DM cry with specifically how much HP he ends up having to chew through.

So we'll have FiendLock to get access to temp HP for every kill and a second level for at-will False Life. Dunno what the other Invocation will be. Prob the dark sight or the 'pull' eldritch blast.

Additionally BeastBarian offers the change to heal once I fall below half HP. Any restored HP value isn't exactly doubled via Rage since not everything is Slashing, Piercing, or Bludgeoning, but it's definitely an improved use of HP compared to most other classes.

I highly suggest taking Armor of Agathys, take a few levels of Warlock, and then cackle with evil delight

SociopathFriend
2022-03-10, 06:15 PM
I highly suggest taking Armor of Agathys, take a few levels of Warlock, and then cackle with evil delight

Isn't that just 5 temp hp?

sithlordnergal
2022-03-10, 07:51 PM
Isn't that just 5 temp hp?

At first level, but given you resist B/P/S damage, its effectively 10 temp HP. It also deals 5 cold damage to the creatures that hit you, and the Temp HP and cold damage scales with spell level. Even if you only get 2nd level spell slots, that's 10 temp HP, which is effectively 20 while you Rage, and you deal 10 cold damage back.

rlc
2022-03-10, 08:08 PM
Hey now don't kinkshame.

I just want to kinkaskwhy

Kane0
2022-03-10, 09:36 PM
For the second invocation Beast Speech could be a fun, thematic choice.

SociopathFriend
2022-03-12, 09:15 PM
For the second invocation Beast Speech could be a fun, thematic choice.

I'm currently favoring a Gnome of some kind as:
1. Who doesn't want to play a Small Barbarian?
2. Advantage on Int/Wis/Cha Saves against spells is awesome for a Barbarian
3. Gnomes piss off my brother

I'll probably make the choice ultimately based on my stat rolls but Forest Gnome, if that's the way I go, gets a miniature Speak with Animals just for existing.

Grim Portent
2022-03-12, 09:31 PM
Yuan-Ti Pureblood would actually be kinda cool with this idea, having the arms turn into snakes like a Yuan-Ti Malison to lash out and bite. Warlock also fits them to a T.

Kane0
2022-03-12, 11:52 PM
I'm currently favoring a Gnome of some kind as:
1. Who doesn't want to play a Small Barbarian?
2. Advantage on Int/Wis/Cha Saves against spells is awesome for a Barbarian
3. Gnomes piss off my brother

Ah, say no more.