PDA

View Full Version : Help me with my group

TGWG
2007-11-23, 03:56 PM
someone wants to join our D&D group. the only problem is that our DM and one of our members find that person immensly annoying - the kind of annoying you find in people who talks too much - but they don't tell her why they won't allow her in the group in an effert to be "polite." personaly I don't have anything against her, but at the same time I don't want to make the other two sit through an unbearable sesion. she says she's an exerienced player so there won't be the problems of explaining the rules to her.

So here's my question. what do I do? do I just let it pass? do I tell her why the DM won't let her join?

Kurald Galain
2007-11-23, 03:59 PM
Assuming the people involved aren't complete *******s, this sounds like the kind of situation that could be resolved by being honest and talking it out.

Also, well, it is pretty much the DM's prerogative to bar certain people from his group.

AKA_Bait
2007-11-23, 04:11 PM
Yeah. It's pretty much the DM's call. If people are mature, then they should just tell the player the truth. They may be able to reach a compromise, they may not.

Jannex
2007-11-23, 06:59 PM
Honesty is usually the best option in cases like this. If, for whatever reason, that's not the direction you want to go, then you could suggest that the flow of the game might get bogged down with the addition of another PC, or the power level of the group thrown off, or some such.

How did it become your responsibility to reject this person anyway, if you're not the DM?

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-11-23, 09:25 PM
I think it can be more rude not to tell a person when there's a problem like that. I agree that "honesty is the best policy."

And you know what? It's possible that the prospective group member might realize there actually is a problem and she might be willing to take active steps to remedy it.

The_Blue_Sorceress
2007-11-24, 05:45 AM
someone wants to join our D&D group. the only problem is that our DM and one of our members find that person immensly annoying - the kind of annoying you find in people who talks too much - but they don't tell her why they won't allow her in the group in an effert to be "polite." personaly I don't have anything against her, but at the same time I don't want to make the other two sit through an unbearable sesion. she says she's an exerienced player so there won't be the problems of explaining the rules to her.

So here's my question. what do I do? do I just let it pass? do I tell her why the DM won't let her join?

Maybe what your DM and fellow players see as annoying is just some personality quirk that isn't so bad, maybe it's something she needs to work on. If it's the former all you'll do is hurt her feelings by telling her that your fellow gamers can't stand to play with her. If you think it's the latter, then by all means, let her know in polite way that some of the things she does/says make the rest of the group not want to play with her. She may be willing to improve.

-Blue

Blanks
2007-11-24, 06:28 AM
Yeah. It's pretty much the DM's call.
Why? I'd say a vote.
In our group we switch DMs all the time, it would be silly to switch players just as often depending on DM preferences...

Xefas
2007-11-24, 06:42 AM
While normally I'd say to tell the truth, that advice has already been given, so I'll take a different stance for the sake of diversity.

Lie! Lie like a rug with a law degree! Make up every false excuse you have to; tell her that you're in the middle of a section of the campaign where a new character wouldn't make sense; tell her the sessions would go at a snails pace if a single other person were added; tell her one of your friends is a rehabilitating psychopath, and if there are more than X number of people in the same room as him at any given time, he goes ape****! Anything! It doesn't even have to make sense, just lie until the subject is dropped, and then never bring it up again!

Lolzords
2007-11-24, 06:43 AM
Page 11 of the DM's guide:

"Don't play the game with someone you wouldn't enjoy spending time with in another social setting."

More or less, if you find them unbearable and you don't want to hang around outside of game, you won't want to play the game with them.

TGWG
2007-11-24, 09:06 PM
Thank you for your input. They weren't sepacific about what annoyed them but I think I'll tell her and see if she's willing to fix it.