PDA

View Full Version : monster V monster: CR 10 (or below)

redsonja
2022-03-10, 02:37 AM
For a special oneshot, we are playing pvp monsters cr 10 or below. Thinking about the abolleth, but what monster should I play to wreck the competition?

Nitrosaur
2022-03-10, 03:31 AM
The Dullahan from VRGT is Mythic, so it's basically two monsters for the price of one. It also has legendary actions, resistances, and summonst three mobs on the second stage. Also, it can't be charmed, so if someone else takes the Aboleth, you aren't necessarily at a disadvantage against it.

Kane0
2022-03-10, 03:35 AM
My joke answer was intellect devourer, but more seriously probably death slaad or cloud giant

tokek
2022-03-10, 06:29 AM
The Dullahan from VRGT is Mythic, so it's basically two monsters for the price of one. It also has legendary actions, resistances, and summonst three mobs on the second stage. Also, it can't be charmed, so if someone else takes the Aboleth, you aren't necessarily at a disadvantage against it.

You got in ahead of me with this one.

If you can roll a nat 20 the Dullahan is the winner against most opposition. If they have legendary actions its only an extra 6D8 damage, otherwise its probably dead. However its attacks are not magical. So against something like a Stone Golem it is stuck with its fairly minimal necrotic damage and its ranged attack

It might be fun to use something like an Alhoon. I know it has no legendary resistance but it has a good list of damage and condition immunities and its a strong caster.

da newt
2022-03-10, 11:20 AM
Guardian Naga - not too bad for combat, but the twist is Immortality for the win.

Deva is pretty solid on it's own, but it can shapechange into any other CR 10 or below creature too ...

Dullahan is nasty.

Unoriginal
2022-03-10, 11:32 AM
For a special oneshot, we are playing pvp monsters cr 10 or below. Thinking about the abolleth, but what monster should I play to wreck the competition?

What are the victory conditions? Depending on those, there are several monsters who have an edge on their competition.

Eldariel
2022-03-10, 02:45 PM
Deva is indeed amazing: the shapechange ability is insane. Summer Eladrin is a fairly decent kiter though obviously only competitive if it's possible to get out of range really quickly: it's not gonna win fast with its piddly 6d8+10 per round. Something like Young Silver with the DC17 save-or-lose is pretty solid: nothing relevant really has Legendary Resistance on this level so save-or-X is pretty strong if you can get high DC.'

EDIT: Corrected the Silver age category

da newt
2022-03-10, 02:53 PM
Did you mean Young Silver Dragon (CR 9)?