PDA

View Full Version : Foreign Coin Identification

Dave Rapp
2007-11-23, 06:06 PM
Whilest going through a filing cabnet, a stumbled upon an old envelope which had about 20 coins inside. Several were canadian, but the ones shown here I wasn't sure where they came from. I was wondering, can anyone tell me what countries these coins are from, and, where it's not shown clearly, how much they are worth?

Warning, these images are pretty big, about 1500x1500 pixels each.

front-
http://i3.tinypic.com/8fpf0uo.jpg

reverse-
http://i7.tinypic.com/8e5u5tx.jpg

Dihan
2007-11-23, 06:35 PM
I assume number 6 is Dutch.

Trazoi
2007-11-23, 06:41 PM
I'm no coin expert, but since coins 5 and 7 say they're from Confederatio Helvetica I'm assuming they're Swiss Francs.

Em Blackleaf
2007-11-23, 06:44 PM
I think number one is Japanese, but I'm no coin expert.

Jensik
2007-11-23, 06:50 PM
6 is Dutch, guaranteed.

1, 3, and 4 have very similar (if not identical) symbols on them. They appear Japanese, but I can't be sure.

5 and 7, Trazoi seems to have the right idea.

2... not a clue, I'm defeated.

8, the two swords (religious symbol) and the writing indicate that it is from somewhere in the Middle East. Where exactly, I'm not sure.

Dihan
2007-11-23, 06:53 PM
Four is Japanese yen. Two is an Indian anna. Eight is a coin from Oman.

Dragonrider
2007-11-23, 07:18 PM
1 is Japanese - I don't know how you say it in that language but I recognized the Chinese character "guo" ("country") and the character before that signifies Japan.

2, I think someone else said, is Indian

3 is, as someone else said, yen...you can see some of the same characters around it.

4, same thing

5 looks EXTREMELY familiar, which means I probably have something like it in my foreign coin collection, but I can't place it and I have no idea where my box is :smalltongue:

6 says "Nederlanden"

7 no clue :smalltongue:

in 8, that looks like a "10" in Farsi...so Persian? certainly middle-eastern, judging by the Arabic....

Lucky
2007-11-23, 07:37 PM
Via wikipedia, I have visualy confirmed that 7 is indeed a Swiss Franc. But that's all I can really say for sure.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss_franc

Dragonstar
2007-11-23, 07:51 PM
While I'm not in to numismatics as much as I used to be, I'll give it a shot... Somehow you managed to put these up as a mirror image - luckily I can read that way just fine. Confoederatio Helvetica is the official name for Switzerland. From there you have 1 Swiss Franc and one 20 Rappen coin. Worth about $1.50 and 30 cents uncirculated, as they're still fairly recent. The 10 cent coin from the Netherlands is just that - 10 cents.

The silver with a large 1 is a Japanese Yen. Unfortunately, I'm unable to tell you the date. The one with the hole is 5 Yen, and the one with the 10 is, yes, 10 Yen. They're worth about 10, 15, and 35 cents - again, uncirculated prices. The one with the crossed swords appears to be from Oman, a 10 Baiza coin worth about 30-80 cents. The hardest to find was the square one, but that ended up being a 1 Anna coin from Hyderabad (India). It's worth about 30-75 cents.

Better than the monetary value though, is the story behind them. Did this come from a military tour of duty, or someone who was just well traveled?

Reinboom
2007-11-23, 08:32 PM
1 is 5 yen
3 is 1 yen
4 is 10 yen
=edit=
Oh dear, didn't see the 2nd half of the post above me :smallredface:

Dave Rapp
2007-11-23, 08:57 PM
While I'm not in to numismatics as much as I used to be, I'll give it a shot... Somehow you managed to put these up as a mirror image - luckily I can read that way just fine. Confoederatio Helvetica is the official name for Switzerland. From there you have 1 Swiss Franc and one 20 Rappen coin. Worth about $1.50 and 30 cents uncirculated, as they're still fairly recent. The 10 cent coin from the Netherlands is just that - 10 cents.

The silver with a large 1 is a Japanese Yen. Unfortunately, I'm unable to tell you the date. The one with the hole is 5 Yen, and the one with the 10 is, yes, 10 Yen. They're worth about 10, 15, and 35 cents - again, uncirculated prices. The one with the crossed swords appears to be from Oman, a 10 Baiza coin worth about 30-80 cents. The hardest to find was the square one, but that ended up being a 1 Anna coin from Hyderabad (India). It's worth about 30-75 cents.

Better than the monetary value though, is the story behind them. Did this come from a military tour of duty, or someone who was just well traveled?
Not entirely sure where these all came from. The Japanese coins I believe I got from school sometime in elementary school, I believe someone from did some kind of presentation and gave us all Japanese coins. The others, I haven't a clue where they came from, probably my mother.

Rykaj
2007-11-25, 12:14 PM
Number six is indeed Dutch, from before the euro, when we still used guilders. 10 cents is 4.5 euro cents. And that particular coin has no collector's value from what I can quickly assess. If it had one older queen on it (wilhelmina), it might have been worth a dollar. Right now it's 4.5 euro cents, though I'm not sure if the banks even trade guilders for euros anymore, I think they quit that. In which case it would only be worth something to a collector trying to finish his guildercollection.