PDA

View Full Version : Ninja Rogue subclass (Peach)

Saelethil
2022-03-10, 09:59 PM
Gooddragon1 posted last week about wanting a Ninja class and didn't seem interested in Shadow Monk or Arcane Trickster. They seemed to want something actually called Ninja and while I can't be certain this is what they wanted, it is what has brewed up in my head and hits the notes that I see the other options missing so hopefully someone enjoys it. I'm sure that it's over tuned half baked so any recommendations are welcome.

Ninja (Shadow Striker) Rogue
Striking from the shadow, those who follow this path have honed their skills to become a Ninja.

Honed Body
Through training and determination you have honed your body to move between shadows, striking from the darkness. Starting when you choose this archetype your unarmed strikes deal 1d4 bludgeoning damage and are considered light weapons with the finesse property. Additionally, you can now use your Dexterity instead of your strength when calculating jump distances.

Spellcasting
When you reach 3rd level, you gain the ability to cast spells. Your known spells and spell slots follow the arcane trickster progression but your spells come from the Sorcerer list instead of Wizard and the spell schools you can choose from for most of your known spells are Conjuration, Enchantment, or Evocation.
Your spellcasting ability is charisma.

Improbable Dash
At 9th level, you gain the ability to move along vertical surfaces without falling during the move. You also gain advantage on ability checks or saving throws made to reduce fall damage.
When you reach 13th level you can run upside down and when you reach 17th level and end your turn on a vertical surface or upside down you do not fall as long as you are conscious.
Additionally, you gain the ability to step from one shadow into another. When you are in dim light or darkness, as a bonus action you can teleport up to 60 feet to an unoccupied space you can see that is also in dim light or darkness. You then have advantage on the first melee attack you make before the end of the turn.

Underhanded Strike
At 13th level, when you hit a creature with an unarmed strike that benefits from sneak attack you can choose to reduce the number of sneak attack dice by 3d6 in an attempt to disable the target. The target must succeed on a Constitution saving throw or be blinded, deafened, or have their speed reduced by half until the start of your next turn.

Imperceptible
Starting at 17th level, as an action or bonus action while in dim light or darkness you can choose to become invisible. This effect ends if you attack, cast a spell, or are no longer in dim light or darkness.

Stunning Blow
Once you reach 17th level you are able to disrupt the life energy of creatures you hit with an unarmed strike. When you successfully hit a creature with an unarmed strike you the target must succeed on a constitution saving throw or be stunned until the start of your next turn. Once you use this ability you cannot do so again until you complete a short or long rest or expend a 1st level spell slot as part of the triggering attack. You can wait until after you know whether the attack hits before deciding to use this ability.

Here's the original post
https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?643383-The-only-way-I-might-play-5e-(not-being-mean-btw)

Dienekes
2022-03-10, 10:17 PM
This I think might be a bit too strong. Or at least one ability in it is too strong.

3rd level is fine. Actually it's just a weaker Arcane Trickster really.

But Improbable Dash is wow. You're giving Shadow Step and basically all the good Monk movement features in one go. Shadow Step itself is fine on a Monk because their damage per individual attack is nothing to write home about. But this is a Rogue we're dealing with now. Teleportation and free Sneak Attack as a Bonus Action is strong. Too strong I think when the subclass is already given spells, the best feature in the game.

Underhanded Strike is a bit late if the point of the subclass is to become a disabler. Which along with the capstone it looks like that's what you're trying to do. But this is probably fine. Con saves are rough.

Capstones are suitably powerful, I'd say.

JNAProductions
2022-03-11, 06:50 AM
Underhanded needs a DC-assuming 8+Dex or Cha+Prof, but spell it out.

And I'll echo the critique of Improbable Dash-a Monk loses one or two Unarmed Strikes and makes one of two attacks with advantage with Shadow Step. Rogues only GET one attack, so this is advantage on all their attacks for a turn.

GalacticAxekick
2022-03-11, 11:57 AM
Honed Body
Through training and determination you have honed your body to move between shadows, striking from the darkness. Starting when you choose this archetype your unarmed strikes deal 1d4 bludgeoning damage and are considered light weapons with the finesse property. Additionally, you can now use your Dexterity instead of your strength when calculating jump distances.Great feature! It fits the ninja thematically without buffing it much. Next we just need a buff.

Spellcasting
When you reach 3rd level, you gain the ability to cast spells. Your known spells and spell slots follow the arcane trickster progression but your spells come from the Sorcerer list instead of Wizard and the spell schools you can choose from for most of your known spells are Conjuration, Enchantment, or Evocation.
Your spellcasting ability is charisma.A great buff! This is where most of the Ninja's power and variety will come from, so be careful about future buffs.

Improbable Dash
At 9th level, you gain the ability to move along vertical surfaces without falling during the move. You also gain advantage on ability checks or saving throws made to reduce fall damage.
When you reach 13th level you can run upside down and when you reach 17th level and end your turn on a vertical surface or upside down you do not fall as long as you are conscious.
Additionally, you gain the ability to step from one shadow into another. When you are in dim light or darkness, as a bonus action you can teleport up to 60 feet to an unoccupied space you can see that is also in dim light or darkness. You then have advantage on the first melee attack you make before the end of the turn.Remember that spellcasting let's you teleport (Misty Step) walk on walls (Spider Climb) and fall safely (Feather Fall).

By letting the Ninja do these things for free, you're making into The Better Monk. You're letting it to everything the Monk does and more.

I think you should replace this feature.

Underhanded Strike
At 13th level, when you hit a creature with an unarmed strike that benefits from sneak attack you can choose to reduce the number of sneak attack dice by 3d6 in an attempt to disable the target. The target must succeed on a Constitution saving throw or be blinded, deafened, or have their speed reduced by half until the start of your next turn.
Cool! But at 13th level with a 7d6 Sneak Attack, you're still dealing more than half of the normal damage. Theres almost never a reason NOT to use this feature.

I might need another nerf, like reducing your damage more or costing your bonus action.

Imperceptible
Starting at 17th level, as an action or bonus action while in dim light or darkness you can choose to become invisible. This effect ends if you attack, cast a spell, or are no longer in dim light or darkness.At this level, this is balanced. Great!

Stunning Blow
Once you reach 17th level you are able to disrupt the life energy of creatures you hit with an unarmed strike. When you successfully hit a creature with an unarmed strike you the target must succeed on a constitution saving throw or be stunned until the start of your next turn. Once you use this ability you cannot do so again until you complete a short or long rest or expend a 1st level spell slot as part of the triggering attack. You can wait until after you know whether the attack hits before deciding to use this ability.Perfect!