PDA

View Full Version : Let's break the new Dragonlance UA

sambojin
2022-03-10, 10:15 PM
So, choose any 2nd lvl spell at 4th lvl, of potentially 6 different schools depending on your robe colour. Not too big, not too small, probably just not right either.

What spells are the super powered "well, I have that background, and I chose that feat" sort of stuff? I'm not going to poo-poo obviously bad "how were you a high sorcery initiate, as a rogue?" style stuff. Let's just white-room it :)
Add builds and thoughts on them too, if you want.

So far, there's:

Find Steed. Yep, why not "bard-secret" a really cool Pally spell in?

Summon Beast. Why not have an extremely low level spell-slot summon? Pack Tactics or Flyby attacks, alongside 18Str, can do a lot.

Pass without Trace. Stealth af, for the whole party. +10 is very, very good.

Misty Step. Can you have too much teleporting or escapes?

Shadow Blade. Don't have a magic weapon? Now you do.

Spiritual Weapon. Don't have a bonus action attack? Well.... Now you do.

Spike Growth. If your party does have forced movement or decent grappling, this can be fun.

Are there any other "geez it would be nice to have that spell on my list, castable with slots" that you can think of? Pity you can't get Suggestion, because that's pretty good mind control....

(White robes seem to get the most fun options and toys for some reason. Conjuration is a very good school to pick from at lvl2)

kazaryu
2022-03-10, 10:36 PM
So, choose any 2nd lvl spell at 4th lvl, of potentially 6 different schools depending on your robe colour. Not too big, not too small, probably just not right either.

What spells are the super powered "well, I have that background, and I chose that feat" sort of stuff? I'm not going to poo-poo obviously bad "how were you a high sorcery initiate, as a rogue?" style stuff. Let's just white-room it :)
Add builds and thoughts on them too, if you want.

So far, there's:

Find Steed. Yep, why not "bard-secret" a really cool Pally spell in?

Summon Beast. Why not have an extremely low level spell-slot summon? Pack Tactics or Flyby attacks, alongside 18Str, can do a lot.

Pass without Trace. Stealth af, for the whole party. +10 is very, very good.

Misty Step. Can you have too much teleporting or escapes?

Shadow Blade. Don't have a magic weapon? Now you do.

Spiritual Weapon. Don't have a bonus action attack? Well.... Now you do.

Spike Growth. If your party does have forced movement or decent grappling, this can be fun.

Are there any other "geez it would be nice to have that spell on my list, castable with slots" that you can think of? Pity you can't get Suggestion, because that's pretty good mind control....

(White robes seem to get the most fun options and toys for some reason. Conjuration is a very good school to pick from at lvl2)

i mean, magic weapon on any martial would be nice in a low magic setting. not sure if transmutation is on any of the lists tho...the feat would make getting spike growth easy for a warlock. (for repelling blast synergy).

warding bond on a high HP character could be nice. could be fun on a high level champion fighter because of their regen.

ohh, you can get pass without trace easily on a rogue. because they're not already hard enough to see

detect thoughts could also be useful on a rogue, seeing where people are (without actually having to expose yourself) so you know where not to step.

sambojin
2022-03-10, 10:48 PM
Transmutation is Red Robes.

Dragon's Breath on a familiar might be fun ("is this an attack or just an action use?", recently got discussed ad nauseum in these forums). Handy for druids wildshaping in familiars though.

Spider Climb to remove every movement challenge ever, other than flying (which admittedly Summon Beast does for Whites anyway) could be good for Reds as well.

((Does your DM read UAs but not erratas? Because Healing Spirit used to be very good as well. I won't tell them if you don't))

Hael
2022-03-11, 12:48 AM
Pass without trace, rope trick, find steed, shadowblade, warding bond, aid and darkness I think are the likely picks. Then maybe things like vortex, misty step or even cc like Rimes/Web.

Pass without trace in particular seems really problematic for a number of classes.

ATHATH
2022-03-11, 02:22 AM
Pass without trace in particular seems really problematic for a number of classes.
Don't earth genasi get to add it to their spells known now? I don't think that's breaking completely new ground.

A Paladin 2/[Bard with an Extra Attack subclass] X would probably kill to have Shadow Blade as a spell known.

Kane0
2022-03-11, 02:58 AM
Moonbeam i think would be fun with a warlock, being a solid alternative to cloud of daggers.

Really there are lots of scaling spells that warlocks would like. Rimes, Aid, Spiritual Weapon...

diplomancer
2022-03-11, 03:31 AM
Things to look out for: spells that were not given to Sorcerers because Metamagic might make them too powerful. Likewise, spells that were not given to Warlocks because they are too good if you can cast them with Short Rests. Oh, and as Kane0 mentioned, good scaling spells are also highly desirable for Warlocks. Aid on a Warlock (being a good scaling spell AND a long duration spell) is specially crazy. 20 extra hit points for all the party for free, basically, once you reach level 9.

Enlarge/Reduce is nice on any Grappler, but specially on a Rune Knight, for those times you need to grapple something Gargantuan.

And, yes, White Robe is very good. Conjuration 2nd level spells are great, and Find Familiar as well; but not only that, the
Protective Ward is also a lot better than it looks at first sight. People talk about how great Healing Word is, this is better in the right circumstance. Even better than bringing your allies back from 0 hit points with a bonus action is to stop them from going down with a reaction. True, Healing Word is better if they are going down by a lot of damage, but Protective Ward is better if they go down by a little. It even helps keep your new Steed alive (which Healing Word does not)