PDA

View Full Version : Anti-fiend class features?

Greywander
2022-03-11, 01:00 AM
I've been working on a homebrew Slayer class the past few days, with one of the subclasses being the Demon Slayer (though it's meant to target fiends in general, not just demons). But despite the fact that the Doom Slayer is one of the major inspirations for the class, I'm coming up short with subclass features.

Here's what I already have:

Fire resistance that upgrades to immunity.
Basically Improved Divine Smite.
Permanent Protection from Evil and Good.

I've been looking at the stat blocks for various fiends, and it seems like a lot of them are just standard monsters, but with fire and poison immunity and resistance to nonmagical weapons or whatever. A lot of them have spells or very specific save effects, but it's far from universal. Some fiends deal poison, cold, or necrotic damage, but fire is by far the most common, if the fiend can do anything more than bite and claw at you.

I'm considering something like Divine Sense, but I want to avoid making it too niche. While each subclass is meant to make you especially good at killing a particular type of monster, it's also meant to be more broadly applicable to other monsters. Fiends aren't the only ones who use fire damage, extra damage is extra damage, and Protection from Evil and Good applies to a lot more than just fiends. A Demon Slayer would actually do pretty well against undead, for example.

So basically I'm looking for abilities that make you good at fighting fiends, while also being more broadly applicable. Maybe something that's more targeted toward outsiders in general, similar to how Protection from Evil and Good is. I suppose I should also mention that the Slayer is a pure martial class, so no spellcasting.

Boci
2022-03-11, 02:28 AM
A lot of fiends have magic resistance, which is not unheard among other creature, so maybe an ability that shuts down magic resistance against a creature hit for 1 round. And not all fiends can cast spells, but they are almost certainly a magic heavy creature types, so a bonus to saves vs. spells would be useful and should be thematic.

I believe previous editions also gave fiend hunters anti teleportation and summoning abilities. So a chance to disrupt teleporting to and from the area around them, 5 to 30 feet could be useful, and maybe bonus damage to summoned creatures. Maybe require a save / ability check to teleport away, or apply a penalty to creatures that teleport adjacent to them / into their aura?

And given the wide variety of resistances and potential immunities fiends can have, an ability to help ID them would be useful.

Angelalex242
2022-03-11, 02:45 AM
So, Devotion Paladin?

You haven't added anything to make this class of yours different enough to matter.

Boci
2022-03-11, 02:49 AM
So, Devotion Paladin?

You haven't added anything to make this class of yours different enough to matter.

There's limited use comparing the archetypes of two different classes.

ProsecutorGodot
2022-03-11, 03:23 AM
There's limited use comparing the archetypes of two different classes.

If the subclass is so similar there are only two reasonable options in my eyes - Adjust the Paladin to fit the Slayer archetype with alternate class feature options or don't just copy a Paladin ability wholesale. I'd encourage most homebrew to not just copy existing class abilities if you're trying to avoid a direct comparison.

But I'll try to be a bit more productive, addressing the features in order:
-Literally the Forge Cleric 6th and 17th level features. If a full caster gets this plus an additional feature in the same ability, it probably means that this resistance/immunity isn't considered to be all that useful. In the vast majority of cases it won't be either, so find something fun to package in with this that gives it a little bit more.

Here's an idea for a potential additional ability to go with the resistance one: When hit by an attack that deals Cold, Lightning or Poison damage you can use your reaction to halve the damage you take and gain resistance to that damage type until the start of your next turn PB uses/LR. This shows that you're primarily specialized in defending against Fire, which seems to be the
primary damage type for most fiends aside from BPS but are flexible enough to adapt to other types that they use but could also show up from other enemies.

-Giving Martials random extra damage is usually a good way to make them appealing, works for Paladin, works for Hunter Ranger and it works for Rune Knight Fighter. This is fine, I'd avoid making it radiant damage though and perhaps even change it to something more like Colossus slayer.

Something like "you deal an additional 1dX damage when you hit a creature with a weapon attack, this damage is doubled against fiends". Pick 1d4 or 1d6 for a safe bet, 1d8 if you want this to be really appealing.

-Against Fiends only, give it to them slightly earlier than a Devotion Paladin would get it (no idea when this class gets it subclass abilities but 10-11th seems good), consider it a ribbon since it's missing its broader applications. Not all of a classes abilities have to be broadly applicable, there's almost always at least one that is underwhelming so you can fit some power budget elsewhere. For example, if this Protection from Good and Evil ability is on the weaker side it can perhaps justify making the Improved Divine Smite stand in or Fire damage resistance/immunity bonus abilities a bit strong.

Boci
2022-03-11, 03:27 AM
If the subclass is nearly identical there are only two reasonable options in my eyes - Adjust the Paladin to fit the Slayer archetype with alternate class feature options or don't just copy a Paladin ability wholesale. I'd encourage most homebrew to not just copy existing class abilities if you're trying to avoid a direct comparison.

Eh, saying that only paladins can get permanent Protection from Good and Evil, when the spells appears on both wizard and warlock lists doesn't seem like a good approach to design. The slayer is a martial class without spells. Arguing that such a class has to be shackled to the paladin seems like an equally questionable approach. "Oh just tweak the paladin to remove the spellcasting a divine aspects of the class"? Right, so new class, got it..

ProsecutorGodot
2022-03-11, 03:38 AM
Eh, saying that only paladins can get permanent Protection from Good and Evil, when the spells appears on both wizard and warlock lists doesn't seem like a good approach to design. The slayer is a martial class without spells. Arguing that such a class has to be shackled to the paladin seems like an equally questionable approach. "Oh just tweak the paladin to remove the spellcasting a divine aspects of the class"? Right, so new class, got it..

Devotion Paladin's are the only subclass to get a permanent Protection from Good and Evil though? I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here, having the permanent effect of a concentration spell that has an expended material component is kind of a big deal even if its functionality would be limited. It's very different that Wizards who would still need to concentrate and expend that resource assuming they picked that for Spell mastery or Warlocks who have to just cast it normally.

Enough people make that tweak to Paladin on their own anyway, completely ignoring their spellcasting in favor of using all of their spell slots for Smite. I'm not suggesting that as the best option overall but if you're going to borrow so heavily from Paladin it might be better to build around that Chassis than trying to pick it apart to fit on another one.

Worth noting that a very popular tweak that WotC experimented (and many are upset was scrapped) was the spell-less variant of the Ranger, EK and AT are also popular archetypes because they add spellcasting. Spellcasting ability is an adjustable class feature, and for Paladin specifically I would argue that Smite is the more recognizable feature, which this class also aims to copy in some way.

Boci
2022-03-11, 03:44 AM
Devotion Paladin's are the only subclass to get a permanent Protection from Good and Evil though?

Until you homebrew a class that gets it. I mention it being on the wizard and warlock list to show its not inherantly a paladin or even divine spell, so giving it to another class isn't anti-thematic. I agree it would be wierd to give a divine only spell to another class, but not a spell that appears on 4 different caster lists, across divine and arcane.

And as for the rest of your post, yes sure, a spelless paladin could certainly work. But its not just a spellless paladin, it a spellless, non-divine paladin. A spellless, non-divine paladin is not a paladin anymore.

Kane0
2022-03-11, 03:53 AM
So basically I'm looking for abilities that make you good at fighting fiends, while also being more broadly applicable. Maybe something that's more targeted toward outsiders in general, similar to how Protection from Evil and Good is. I suppose I should also mention that the Slayer is a pure martial class, so no spellcasting.

Port over a Dimensional Anchor effect, anything within X radius of you needs to make a successful save or they cannot teleport or planeshift, which also means things that would ordinarily just go back to their home plane upon death are instead actually slain for realsies.

Edit: or the ability to breach their defences for teammates. Take away their magic resistance, damage immunities or other nice things.

ProsecutorGodot
2022-03-11, 04:14 AM
Until you homebrew a class that gets it. I mention it being on the wizard and warlock list to show its not inherantly a paladin or even divine spell, so giving it to another class isn't anti-thematic. I agree it would be wierd to give a divine only spell to another class, but not a spell that appears on 4 different caster lists, across divine and arcane.

And as for the rest of your post, yes sure, a spelless paladin could certainly work. But its not just a spellless paladin, it a spellless, non-divine paladin. A spellless, non-divine paladin is not a paladin anymore.

Just cross the divine part out then, we're already at the homebrewing stage, I don't understand why you're hung up on that aspect. If the Paladin has most of the features you want already it makes much more sense to me to simply remove the ones that don't work and fill in the gaps.

Port over a Dimensional Anchor effect, anything within X radius of you needs to make a successful save or they cannot teleport or planeshift, which also means things that would ordinarily just go back to their home plane upon death are instead actually slain for realsies.

Edit: or the ability to breach their defences for teammates. Take away their magic resistance, damage immunities or other nice things.
Both good ideas, I especially like the idea that they would have an ability that would actually kill these fiends, that's got some exceptional narrative value.

Boci
2022-03-11, 04:19 AM
Just cross the divine part out then, we're already at the homebrewing stage, I don't understand why you're hung up on that aspect. If the Paladin has most of the features you want already it makes much more sense to me to simply remove the ones that don't work and fill in the gaps.

You don't know what abilities the slayer class has. It seems a bit disrespectful to the OP to just assume that they class they're working could be replaced by a paladin tweak when you haven't even seen what the class looks like.

Angelalex242
2022-03-11, 04:36 AM
Well, it'd help if we knew what kind of Slayer we were talking about.

If the idea is 'Buffy', I'd use Monk as a chassis.

ProsecutorGodot
2022-03-11, 04:36 AM
You don't know what abilities the slayer class has. It seems a bit disrespectful to the OP to just assume that they class they're working could be replaced by a paladin tweak when you haven't even seen what the class looks like.

I went and read the class (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1CuLTlDGicypXOmUUZxvKxszYcwXnS2AjaxbedcoPeIk/edit). You're right, it's actually just a slightly adjusted incredibly buffed Barbarian that traded Rage for a Ki point system that functions like Rage lite when you spend one. The ki resource also doesn't really have much of a cost, you have 5 different ways to regain it, one as simple as taking an action which you can also use a bonus action to attack anyway after 5th level.

The base class is also pretty powerful on its own, it borrows all of the other martial classes best feature. It has Fast Movement at 5th, charm/frightened immunity and evasion at 7th, superior (as in, 18-20) critical and brutal critical at 9th level, complete Blind Fighting with a +5 Initiative bonus at 11th, Diamond Soul at 14th, always on BPS resistance at 18th, can't tell if this is also intended to include the additional attack and damage dice effect option they have starting at level 1. This is on top of having all armor and weapon proficiencies and an unarmored AC calculation.

I'm going to change my critique - the class is already too broad, it needs to focus more on the "killing this thing specifically" aspect for the subclasses because it's base class features are already enough to give them a fighting chance against every other type of creature.

Well, it'd help if we knew what kind of Slayer we were talking about.

If the idea is 'Buffy', I'd use Monk as a chassis.
The idea seems to be Doom Slayer.

Dr.Samurai
2022-03-11, 08:38 AM
This might be too weird or niche but, what about any creature in their presence has a reduced chance to summon help? Fiends have a summon variant that lets them call for help. Maybe the percentage chance of success is reduced by 5-10% per whatever mod is appropriate for the class, as other fiends are reluctant to face the Slayer?

LudicSavant
2022-03-11, 09:03 AM
I've been working on a homebrew Slayer class the past few days, with one of the subclasses being the Demon Slayer (though it's meant to target fiends in general, not just demons). But despite the fact that the Doom Slayer is one of the major inspirations for the class, I'm coming up short with subclass features.

Here's what I already have:

Fire resistance that upgrades to immunity.
Basically Improved Divine Smite.
Permanent Protection from Evil and Good.

I've been looking at the stat blocks for various fiends, and it seems like a lot of them are just standard monsters, but with fire and poison immunity and resistance to nonmagical weapons or whatever. A lot of them have spells or very specific save effects, but it's far from universal. Some fiends deal poison, cold, or necrotic damage, but fire is by far the most common, if the fiend can do anything more than bite and claw at you.

I'm considering something like Divine Sense, but I want to avoid making it too niche. While each subclass is meant to make you especially good at killing a particular type of monster, it's also meant to be more broadly applicable to other monsters. Fiends aren't the only ones who use fire damage, extra damage is extra damage, and Protection from Evil and Good applies to a lot more than just fiends. A Demon Slayer would actually do pretty well against undead, for example.

Fiends spend a lot of their defense budget on stuff like Magic Resistance and a bevy of elemental resistances, so abilities that can just ignore that are extra good against them.

For example, Magic Missile, Cloud of Daggers, and Steel Wind Strike all are very effective against fiends. This is why Doom Slayer uses his hands for Glory Kills, it just ignores all their special resistances so they come apart easy.

There are of course also some spells that are extra strong against fiends specifically. Things like Holy Word and Protection from Evil and Good.

When it comes to stuff that's useful against fiends, but also against others: Another thing that comes to mind is that fiends are often summoned. You could have features that mess with fiends visiting your plane, but could also mess with summons in general.

Greywander
2022-03-12, 12:19 AM
So, Devotion Paladin?

This is only the subclass. And yeah, it's basically the "we have paladin at home" subclass for the slayer. This wasn't intentional, but it makes a lot of sense.

Someone linked to the actual doc, but there's also a thread on the homebrew forum going over the actual class. The base class has a lot of barbarian in it, so I guess just imagine a paladin subclass for the barbarian and that's basically what the Demon Slayer is.

You're right, it's actually just a slightly adjusted incredibly buffed Barbarian
Fair enough, though in my defense it's still WIP. Normally I wouldn't have posted it yet, but someone asked to see it, so a link to it was already out there. I know I have a tendency to overtune, so typically tuning down is a later step in the process. Often after getting a class 99% done and sleeping on it, I can come back to it and ask, "Does it really need X, Y, or Z?" Sometimes I can tone something down, merge two things together into a less powerful version of the originals, or shift a feature to be optional (e.g. an invocation, fighting style, etc.).

That said, I suspect that (a) you might be overestimating the strength of some features, particularly some that can't be used together (e.g. the unarmored AC and heavy armor proficiency), and (b) barbarian, while not terrible, has some lackluster levels. The current version of the slayer is definitely overtuned, but maybe not as much as it first appears. Doing some quick checking using LudicSavant's damage calculator, the slayer might actually fall a bit behind on damage (depending on subclass). Improved Critical + Brutal Critical is helpful, but I think it just highlights how bad critfishing builds are.

can't tell if this is also intended to include the additional attack and damage dice effect option they have starting at level 1.
It's not, I'll look into clearing up the wording. The idea is that there are certain passive benefits you get just for spending a frenzy point, regardless of what that point is spent on. Those are meant to become always on at 18, not the actual abilities you're spending the points for (frenzied strikes, rip and tear, etc.).

I'm going to change my critique - the class is already too broad, it needs to focus more on the "killing this thing specifically" aspect for the subclasses because it's base class features are already enough to give them a fighting chance against every other type of creature.
Soft disagree, I prefer the idea of giving them abilities tailored toward fighting a specific monster but broadly applicable. It helps them to feel like they have a niche but are also versatile. A Demon Slayer facing the undead will still do quite well, for example, and could throw down with a fire elemental like no one's business. This, to me, is a lot more interesting than something like "you do extra damage to fiends" or something.

The Dragon Slayer is a good example of this. They get the ability to knock creatures prone on a critical hit. That doesn't seem to relate to dragon slaying that much until you remember what happens to a flying creature when you knock them prone. But dragons aren't the only flying creatures, and even on non-flying enemies, knocking them prone can give allies advantage on attacks, or slow the enemy down. Now, I could make it such that it only knocks dragons prone, but that's boring. It's basically a dead feature any time you're not fighting dragons. It's not fun.

Now, the reason I only soft disagree is because I think you're perhaps not wrong, perhaps the class is too broad, and does need a bit of focus. I just don't want to focus it too much. A slayer should be good at slaying, no matter what they're fighting. But each slayer has a favorite prey, and that's where they excel.

A lot of fiends have magic resistance, which is not unheard among other creature, so maybe an ability that shuts down magic resistance against a creature hit for 1 round.

Fiends spend a lot of their defense budget on stuff like Magic Resistance and a bevy of elemental resistances, so abilities that can just ignore that are extra good against them.
The Dragon Slayer can knock creatures prone on a crit, which will knock flying creatures (such as dragons) out of the sky. Perhaps I could copy that over here and say that a Demon Slayer can shut down certain defenses on a crit. Perhaps something like on a crit, you can cancel out Magic Resistance and pick one damage type that the target is resistant/immune to and downgrade it one step, until the start of your next turn.

And not all fiends can cast spells, but they are almost certainly a magic heavy creature types, so a bonus to saves vs. spells would be useful and should be thematic.
The Witch Slayer is another subclass, albeit not fleshed out yet, but I don't want to step on their toes. Also, the Demon Slayer already gets fire resistance/immunity, which doesn't cover everything, but it does cover a good chunk.

I believe previous editions also gave fiend hunters anti teleportation and summoning abilities. So a chance to disrupt teleporting to and from the area around them, 5 to 30 feet could be useful, and maybe bonus damage to summoned creatures. Maybe require a save / ability check to teleport away, or apply a penalty to creatures that teleport adjacent to them / into their aura?
Another great idea, though see above. That said, I could give the Demon Slayer and the Witch Slayer two different types of anti-teleport features.

For example, Magic Missile, Cloud of Daggers, and Steel Wind Strike all are very effective against fiends. This is why Doom Slayer uses his hands for Glory Kills, it just ignores all their special resistances so they come apart easy.

There are of course also some spells that are extra strong against fiends specifically. Things like Holy Word and Protection from Evil and Good.
The Slayer is a pure martial, so no spells. I know I bent that rule a bit with the permanent Protection from Evil and Good, but you're not actually casting the spell, it's just an always-on passive benefit.

Anyway, thanks for the replies, it's given me some ideas.

Boci
2022-03-12, 04:51 AM
Now, the reason I only soft disagree is because I think you're perhaps not wrong, perhaps the class is too broad, and does need a bit of focus. I just don't want to focus it too much. A slayer should be good at slaying, no matter what they're fighting. But each slayer has a favorite prey, and that's where they excel.

Okay, I feel there's a potential thematic problem here. If I understand, you're idea is the slayer is good at killing as a class, and then chooses a subclass that makes them better a specific kind of enemy. The subclass idea should work, but for the base class, "good at killing things"...how is the fighter or barbarian not a slayer? Are they not martial classes that are good at killing things?

The Dragon Slayer can knock creatures prone on a crit, which will knock flying creatures (such as dragons) out of the sky. Perhaps I could copy that over here and say that a Demon Slayer can shut down certain defenses on a crit. Perhaps something like on a crit, you can cancel out Magic Resistance and pick one damage type that the target is resistant/immune to and downgrade it one step, until the start of your next turn.

I'd make it in a hit, not a crit. You might be right for dragon slayers, but knocking a creature out of the skies is more impactful than removing magic resistance. They still get their save, its just not as advantage, which is different to no longer being flying. So I'd say any hit shut down a target's magic resistance for 1 round, and a crit also downgrades their weapon resistances for 1 round.

Another great idea, though see above. That said, I could give the Demon Slayer and the Witch Slayer two different types of anti-teleport features.

Hmmm. Maybe, I'll need to double check, but maybe witches are more likely to have shorter range teleportations. So maybe the witch slayer reduces the range of teleportation effects coming from within 20ft of them with no save, say by 30ft, which would completely blank misty step. Fiends however, who (I think) tend to have longer range teleportation and planeshift, won't be effected by a reduction like that, so they instead need to make a save or have the ability supressed.

Greywander
2022-03-12, 09:59 PM
Okay, I feel there's a potential thematic problem here. If I understand, you're idea is the slayer is good at killing as a class, and then chooses a subclass that makes them better a specific kind of enemy. The subclass idea should work, but for the base class, "good at killing things"...how is the fighter or barbarian not a slayer? Are they not martial classes that are good at killing things?
Is the Barbarian or Monk not a fighter? You're right that pretty much every martial is "good at killing things", it's a question of how. Each class has ideal and non-ideal conditions: a melee fighter stuck at range, a barbarian who isn't Raging, a monk that's out of ki, a rogue that isn't hidden, etc. Usually those are down to resource management or tactics. The slayer has that, too, as they can run out of frenzy points and can spec into either STR or DEX (making them better at melee or range, respectively). But their choice of prey is also a factor. The slayer should be at their peak facing their preferred prey, but I want them to still be competent when facing other foes. I don't want them to overspecialize.

The short version is that it's part flavor, part mechanics. Mechanically, I want them to be different from other martial classes. Flavorwise, they're great at killing a specific type of enemy, and the mechanics should reflect that. But I don't want to hobble them by making them crap at killing anything else.

I'd make it in a hit, not a crit. You might be right for dragon slayers, but knocking a creature out of the skies is more impactful than removing magic resistance. They still get their save, its just not as advantage, which is different to no longer being flying. So I'd say any hit shut down a target's magic resistance for 1 round, and a crit also downgrades their weapon resistances for 1 round.
I'm playing with a new mechanic for the slayer: the Slayer's Snare. Short version: it's a spiked chain-thing that you throw at monsters, and if it hits, it sticks in them, limiting their (and your) movement, tethering the two of you together. I had an idea for something like this for the Witch Slayer specifically, but I thought I'd see about moving it to the base class and then giving the Witch Slayer (and probably several other subclasses) special upgrades to the snare.

In this case, the Demon Slayer's upgrade would be teleportation and/or summon blocking, and/or removal of Magic Resistance and/or downgrading resistances or immunities. I don't think we can give them all, at least, not at the same level. I'm also not sure what level to give such an ability at. The mid levels are already all spoken for, with the fire resistance/immunity at 6th, smite damage at 10th, and permanent PfEG at 15th. The only levels left are 3rd and 20th. So far, I also seem to have established certain trends, with 3rd level being more of a ribbon, 6th being a defensive feature, and 10th being an offensive feature. That said, the Dragon Slayer gets their ability to knock prone on a crit at 10th level, which is probably comparable to the snare upgrade. I just kind of want to keep the smite damage, the damage output is lackluster without it (according to the damage calculator).

Hmm, perhaps I should just move/replace Hunter's Awareness with a base class upgrade to damage. But I do like the idea of tailoring the damage buff to the subclass. E.g. the Goblin Slayer gets bonus damage against targets at full HP (as weak minions often are), the Dragon Slayer gets... I suppose the opposite, a damage buff against targets not at full HP (as big brutes like dragons require some time to take down). The Demon Slayer getting a general damage buff to all attacks was meant to strike a middle ground between those two extremes. Not sure what the Witch Slayer would get. But this might mean I need to add another level for subclass features, but I already have five, which I think is the most you ever see on any class.

So basically, I'm suffering from scope creep and need to do some aggressive trimming.

Hmmm. Maybe, I'll need to double check, but maybe witches are more likely to have shorter range teleportations. So maybe the witch slayer reduces the range of teleportation effects coming from within 20ft of them with no save, say by 30ft, which would completely blank misty step. Fiends however, who (I think) tend to have longer range teleportation and planeshift, won't be effected by a reduction like that, so they instead need to make a save or have the ability supressed.
(Just so it's clear, the Witch Slayer is targeted toward mages in general, like how the Demon Slayer is targeted toward fiends in general. I think you understood this, but I wanted to be sure.)

I think a good contrast might be that the Demon Slayer prevents teleportation, while the Witch Slayer hitches a ride, teleporting with the mage. Though that does make it seem like the Demon Slayer simply has a stronger effect. If the Demon Slayer can also block summons...

Likely, the Witch Slayer's snare upgrades will involve stuff like dealing 1 point of damage at the start of the ensnared creature's turn, which will then cause a concentration roll, in addition to any effects on teleportation. I'm also considering a feature that wipes at all magical buffs on a crit.

paladinn
2022-03-12, 11:23 PM
In Amazing Adventures 5e, Troll Lord Games included a paladin subclass called the Demon Hunter. It's Very much Buffy for D&D!

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/294977/Amazing-Adventures-5E

Also some interesting takes on other fantasy tropes and suggestions for using "standard" 5e and AA5e together. Very recommended!

Boci
2022-03-13, 03:53 AM
Is the Barbarian or Monk not a fighter? You're right that pretty much every martial is "good at killing things", it's a question of how.

Its also a question of why they're good at it. Fighters train well, barbarians tap into a tribal warrior's bestial ferocity, monks meditate until they can basically do magic, and rogues are versatile and know how to exploit openings in a fight.

How is the slayer get to be good at killing things?

sambojin
2022-03-13, 11:07 AM
I'd be lazy on it. Really lazy.

At lvl2-3, you get the druid wildshape version of Find Familiar (ie: 1 action to use, 2/Sr).

That familiar is a bat, every time. So you can use your action to see invisible fiends. Etc. Whatever blindsight will give you. It can be celestial/ fey/ beast/ fiend, depending on how your character likes that sort of stuff, their choice any time.

It also has a "super-help action" that can turn immunity into resistance, or resistance into normal damage, until the beginning of its next turn. Maybe at a spell-DC off an appropriate stat, but it'd be more fun to make it a contested check off one of the PC's MAD'ish ones. It is still just a Bat, there are no flybys here, it commits and takes AoO if it tries to fly away. But its anti-immune/resist thing can work on any *one* specific thing, no matter what it is, per turn. You have to choose the resistance or immunity to target though. Maybe something weird like Cha vs Wis, or vicaversa, for the contested roll? Or even skill based, so expertise could come into play?

You just got a very versatile 2/Sr "spell", that is easily killable, but very very useful. That helps slay all the things. Fairly party synergistic too, in its own way. Just moving an immunity or resistance down a slot can open up a lot on what will happen on character actions with initiative order saying to them "well, I'll cast *this spell* instead", or "time to bring out the warhammer then", etc (to match your main weapon or spell, as you break elemental or specific b/p/s resistances).