PDA

View Full Version : Six-Sided Giant

Baron Corm
2007-11-23, 06:42 PM
Six-sided giants are really six different souls in a single gigantic body. Each of these souls is proficient in a single ability score, though when combined they exponentially increase each other's effectiveness. The body of a six-sided giant looks like a large ogre with three arms on each side. Six-sided giants are prized as guardians due to their lingual skills and intimidating statures as well as their actual combat ability, though it is difficult to convince one to serve you if you don't have its respect, and it is very difficult to gain the respect of a six-sided giant.

Six-Sided Giant
Size/Type: Huge Giant
Hit Dice: 6d8+78 (105 hp)
Initiative: +13
Speed: 60 feet
Armor Class: 27, touch 21, flat-footed 14 (-2 size, +13 dex, +6 natural)
Base Attack/Grapple: +4/+25
Attack: 3 slams +15 melee (1d6+13) or rock +15 ranged (2d8+19)
Full Attack: 6 slams +15 melee (1d6+13) or rock +15 ranged (2d8+19)
Space/Reach: 15 ft./15 ft.
Special Attacks: Rock throwing, persona bubble, improved grab
Special Qualities: Six-sided persona, darkvision 60 feet, rock catching, low-light vision, immunity to ability score drain and damage, fast healing 6
Saves: Fort +18, Ref +15, Will +15
Abilities: Str 36, Dex 36, Con 36, Int 36, Wis 36, Cha 36
Skills: Climb +22, Jump +22, Listen +22, Spot +22, Intimidate +22, Bluff +22, Diplomacy +22, Sense Motive +22, Search +22, Tumble +22, Swim +22, Knowledge (arcana) +22, Knowledge (nature) +22, Knowledge (geography) +22, Knowledge (local) +22
Feats: Power Attack, Improved Bull Rush, Awesome Blow
Enviroment: Temperate mountains
Organization: Solitary
Challange Rating: ??
Treasure: Triple standard coins; triple standard goods; standard items
Alignment: Usually neutral evil
Advancement: 6-36 (Multiples of 6 only, Huge)
Level Adjustment: —

Combat

A six-sided giant in the wild will throw rocks in hit-and-run attacks from a large range if there appears to be a large group of enemies. Against a single target, it will throw rocks until within charging range (100 feet) and then attempt a bull rush, bringing down three arms on one side of its body in tandem. If the target isn't pummeled into submission, the six-sided giant will unleash full attacks with its slams until it is. The six-sided giant rarely aims to kill its enemy; once it defeats it, the six-sided giant will bring it back to its lair, put it in a cage, and engage it in conversation when it gets bored. If the creature seems too dull or dull-witted to carry on a good conversation, the six-sided giant will then eat it.

Six-sided giants used as guardians use different tactics. They first attempt to trick the trespasser into giving them information about who they are and who sent them. They then try to fool the trespasser into giving up their equipment or other defensive or valuable items, usually by stating that the place they're guarding does not allow such equipment. The six-sided giant then attempts to grapple the creature(s), and bring them to its master, or eat them if not guarding a lair.

Rock Throwing (Ex)

The range increment for the six-sided giant's rocks is 210 feet. Six-sided giants usually use their upper two hands to hurl rocks.

Improved Grab (Ex)

Functions on creatures of Large or smaller size.

Six-Sided Persona

The six-sided giant is really six personae in one body. At any given time (each round during combat), roll 1d6 to see which persona is active. When placed under a mind-affecting spell, only that particular persona is affected, and that persona will likely go away the next round. When the six-sided giant dies, only that particular persona dies. The six-sided giant rises again at full hit points with 1 negative level and 6 ability drain (bypassing the immunity to ability drain) to all ability scores in 1 round. This increases by 1 round for each negative level currently on the six-sided giant.

Only total destruction of the six-sided giant's body can prevent this, such as by a disintegrate or destruction spell. The six-sided giant can heal 1 negative level and 6 points of ability drain through a resurrection spell or better, though not by any other means.

Persona Bubble (Ex)

A six-sided giant can be weakened by forcing (or coaxing) one persona to gain dominance over the others. This causes that persona to be the active one for as long as it has dominance. In addition, all of the six-sided giant's ability scores become 1 except for the dominant one, which becomes 6. A DM can rule that more than one persona have gained joint dominance, causing two ability scores to become 12 while the rest become 1, or three ability scores to become 18, and so on. In this case, all dominant personalities are active at once.

A persona bubble can be forced by certain spells, such as a carefully worded suggestion. It can also be forced by a Bluff, Intimidate, or Diplomacy check opposed by the six-sided giant's Sense Motive. Finding out more about a particular persona of the six-sided giant can give circumstance bonuses to these checks.

Fast Healing (Ex)

A six-sided giant has fast healing equal to its current hit dice.

DracoDei
2007-11-27, 01:13 PM
Very interesting concept... what are the odds of them "playing possum" if when down a persona? Also I assume that the die size goes down when that happens? Roll 1d5 (using a d10) once you have killed one persona, then 1d4, then 1d3, 1d2 and then no roll needed?
CR is probably what it would be without the ability to come back from death plus 1 (sorta like a mixed encounter, except you fight them sequentially instead of simultantiously, and the ones after the first comeback aren't tough enough (especially with the stat loss) to figure in much.)

There tactics seem a little simplictic for something with such high mental ability scores... maybe drop them down to 18's in the mental ability scores and maybe dexterity too?

Baron Corm
2007-11-27, 06:47 PM
What kinds of tactics would you suggest? They don't really have much to work with... should be interesting to see what you'll say :smallbiggrin:

Also looking for help with the CR. I really don't know... I would say a random number like 10. It's hard because they have low hit dice but high ability scores and the whole coming back thing but that one weakness with the persona bubbles.

As for who's active at any time after one dies, just use whatever you want that gives equal chance for each. 1d10/2 works I guess, 1d6-1 min 1, I dunno. Neither of those give an equal chance, do they. Ah well.

ZebulonCrispi
2007-11-27, 06:51 PM
What kinds of tactics would you suggest? They don't really have much to work with... should be interesting to see what you'll say :smallbiggrin:

Also looking for help with the CR. I really don't know... I would say a random number like 10. It's hard because they have low hit dice but high ability scores and the whole coming back thing but that one weakness with the persona bubbles.

As for who's active at any time after one dies, just use whatever you want that gives equal chance for each. 1d10/2 works I guess, 1d6-1 min 1, I dunno. Neither of those give an equal chance, do they. Ah well.

1d10/2 gives an equal chance.

Baron Corm
2007-11-27, 07:03 PM
Brain Fart Thought Process (BFTP): Hmm 1/2 gives you 1, 2/2 gives you 1, 10/2 gives you 5, I think this is gives a higher chance of giving a 1.

Nope, you're right.