PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Help with my Swashbuckler

MisterD
2022-03-11, 01:58 PM
I am working on a swashbuckler and looking to optimize it for the different tiers. Most likely to be played in Adventurers League so I can customize a race but no Custom Lineage. Sorry if it is bit long but will be putting my thoughts along with build.

Ramana was hired and trained by her eccentric uncle to be his blade and aid at court (defend his honor and help resolve disputes). Why he did not hire a seasoned professional was beyond her, but it got her out of the bottoms (Slum like area) outside the city and let her send money home. On day after her uncle had a disastrous meeting at court, her uncle slapped her. She accepted insults and even being a scapegoat if a deal did not go his way, but this is the first and last time he struck her. She took her skills and belongings and left. Using her skills and knowledge to earn a name for herself and to send money home. (Reason to go adventuring)

Thinking V. Human or High Half-Elf

IF V. Human: With moderately Armored (DEX) feat = Reason is low AC - Language Common and Elvish
27 Buy Points
Str 10, Dex 15, Con 14, Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 14 after race and Feat = Str 10, Dex 17, CON 14, Int 8, WIS 10, Cha 15

If High Half-elf (Customized to move stat bonus) and chose Booming Blade cantrip - Language = Common, Elf, Dwarf
27 Buy points
Str 10, Dex 15, Con 14, Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 14 After Race = Str 10, Dex 17. Con 15, Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 15

Background = Courtier: Language= Halfling and Sylvan - Skill Insight, Persuasion

Tier 1
Level 1 Rogue 1: Perception, Sleight of hand, Athletics, Investigation EXPERT= Athletics (Low STR), Perception (I can see, I can see) (SA = 1D6)
Level 2 Rogue 2: Cunning Action (SA = 1D6)
Level 3 Rogue 3: Swashbuckler = Fancy Footwork (No opportunity attack after I hit a target) & Rakish Audacity (add Cha mod to Initiative and do not need ADV to use sneak attack if target and no other creature is within 5 feet of me) (SA = 2D6)
Level 4 Rogue 4: ASI: Elven Accuracy (Dex) if half-elf //+1 Dex, +1 Cha if V. Human. <<Half elf Dex 18 and CHA still 15>> <<V. Human DEX 18 and CHA 16>> (SA = 2D6)

Tier 2
Level 5 Fighter 1: Fighting Stile Dueling (+2 Damage)
Level 6 Fighter 2: SURGE!!!!!!!
Level 7 Fighter 3: Battle Master Riposte for target that hits and misses me, and/or Brace for when target approaches me, and Precision attack for when attack needs to hit. Feigning Attack to get Advantage on a target as a bonus action IF CHOSE RIPOSTE OR BRACE (Caligrapher's Supplies for perfect penmanship and god like power)
Level 8 Rogue 5: Uncanny Dodge (SA = 3D6)
Level 9 Rogue 6: Expert Insight, Persuasion (SA = 3D6)
Level 10 Rogue 7: Evasion (SA = 4D6)

Tier 3
Level 11 Rogue 8: ASI: V. Human = Alert// High Half-Elf = Piercer (DEX) = Reroll one die and ability, on a crit I can add one additional damage die) Or +1 CHA and +1 CON for DEX 18, CON & CHA 16 (SA = 4D6)
Level 12 Rogue 9: Panache As an action Make Persuasion Check vs Insight Check Succes vs Hostile = Disadvantage to targets other than me. Success vs non-hostile = It is charmed for one minute (Nice out of combat effect) (SA = 5D6)
Level 13 Rogue 10: ASI V. Human Piercer and High Half-Elf = Alert (SA = 5D6)
Level 14 Rogue 11: Reliable (SA = 6D6)
Level 15 Rogue 12: ASI V Human + Con and +1 CHA for CON 16 and CHA 18// High Half-Elf + 2 DEX (MAX DEX) (SA = 6D6)
Level 16 rogue 13: Elegant Maneuver = Bonus action for ADV on Acrobatics/Athletics (SA = 7D6)

Tier 4 = I WISH

Well above is a bit about the character and why I chose what I chose. Any help to optimize her will be appreciated.

J-H
2022-03-11, 02:24 PM
High-level rogue features are pretty decent up until 20.

Moderately armored for Shields definitely helps AC, but a shield also means you can't TWF, so if you miss, you miss. If you expect to have advantage a lot of the time, then this doesn't matter... but I feel that on a Swashbuckler you want the ability to attack twice so you always hit. Multiple attacks also helps trigger your free disengage more readily.

When you go Fighter, you give up some of your sneak attack and delay your later ASIs. It's still not necessarily a bad choice. As a rogue, you want the ability to attack off-turn as much as possible, so that you can get your sneak attack damage in an extra time. Pick Battlemaster maneuvers accordingly (Riposte). If you think you'll end up sticking next to enemies instead of moving away from them, Sentinel isn't bad for triggering OAs either.

Mobile is always good to get from A to B faster, and facilitates a hit-and-run playstyle.

RogueJK
2022-03-11, 02:38 PM
I wouldn't bother with Moderately Armored VHuman, especially if you're going to be taking Fighter levels starting at Level 5 that will get you all the benefits of that feat anyway. A Rogue with a 15/16 AC is perfectly viable in Tier 1, and it'll be 18 AC once you hit 18 DEX and pick up a shield at Level 5. So the Booming Blade Elven Accuracy Half-Elf is a much better route.

Keep in mind that a Rogue - especially a Swashbuckler - is a mobile striker, not a heavily armored tank that plants themselves on the front lines to suck up hits. Plan to be making use of Cunning Action: Disengage at Rogue 2, and Fancy Footwork+Cunning Action: Dash from Rogue 3+, in order to run in to attack and then run back out of the enemy's reach. Booming Blade makes this in-and-out combo work even better, since it then punishes the enemy for moving.

As for your skills, I probably wouldn't spend your Expertise on Athletics. I understand the thougt process of trying to shore up Athletics due to your low STR, but many Athletics checks are interchangeable with Acrobatics, which you're already well-suited for thanks to your DEX focus.

Or, I guess if you really want to game the AL system, you could start out as a Moderately Armored VHuman for Levels 1-4, and then rebuild to a Booming Blade Half Elf before leveling to 5, taking your first Fighter level, and locking in your character. That'd get you a better AC in Tier 1, but prevent you from ending up with a redundant feat by Level 5. It's a pretty cheesy move, though...

Frogreaver
2022-03-11, 02:49 PM
Assuming you can use steady aim then just stay rogue. I’d suggest wood elf so you can use a long bow and get elven accuracy. A typical combat might be something like

Turn 1 steady aim and shooting the longbow.

Turn 2 assuming an enemy closes on you the swap to your short sword and engage attacking it. You can use steady aim for super advantage or bonus action dash to move 60 ft from it. Your discretion.

If it closed on an ally then you either continue shooting or move close so he can disengage while you continue to threaten with a high damage OA.

Turn 3 really depends on the enemy or enemies. Shoot or melee accordingly.

**Carry extra weapons as sometimes you’ll have to drop 1 to make the swap.

I don’t think you should use a shield (swapping to a bow is too valuable an option).

I’d stay single class rogue, knowing I can handle any combat situation while being outstanding at skills.

MisterD
2022-03-11, 03:08 PM
1) I want to stay Rapier.
2) I might make her level 5 to start her at tier 2. AL players have suggestion for magic item she gets.

Frogreaver
2022-03-11, 03:18 PM
1) I want to stay Rapier.

Just replace short sword with rapier?

MisterD
2022-03-11, 03:36 PM
OK. Will stay with High Half Elf option.

At level one Chose Rapier and Short Sword from starting equipment

Enjoyed the background? Wanted to develop character and reason to adventure before Build.

Keravath
2022-03-11, 03:44 PM
AL allows the use of Custom Lineage if that is something you are interested in.
From the ALPG for FR: "Custom lineages found in Tasha’s Cauldron of Everything are available."

MisterD
2022-03-11, 03:47 PM
Also
What three Maneuvers should I get?
Do I need both Riposte and Brace since they are both reaction?

MisterD
2022-03-11, 03:52 PM
AL allows the use of Custom Lineage if that is something you are interested in.
From the ALPG for FR: "Custom lineages found in Tasha’s Cauldron of Everything are available."

But no Elven Accuracy

MisterD
2022-03-11, 03:56 PM
ASI for Tier 1, Elven Accuracy
ASI for Tier 3, Mobility, +2 DEX, Alert, --- Replace one with a Cha Half feat

Suggestions.

Again, thank you. you are helping me solidify the build.

Any suggestions for background, or is it OK?

J-H
2022-03-11, 03:57 PM
Brace: Gets them when they move within your range. Very good.
Riposte: When they miss, you get an attack. Very good.

I'd get both.

Other options:
Goading attack: Give them disadvantage against hitting everyone else, then move out of range where they have to chase you if they want to hit you.
Trip Attack: Knock prone, create advantage for yourself and others.

RogueJK
2022-03-11, 04:00 PM
What three Maneuvers should I get?

Two Maneuvers are pretty much considered must-haves for a Battlemaster/Rogue character:
Riposte (for off-turn chances to Sneak Attack)
Feinting Attack (to generate Advantage when you have no other means to trigger Sneak Attack)

However, Feinting isn't necessary for a Swashbuckler, since they already have a way to generate Sneak Attacks without Advantage, regardless of whether there's an ally next to that enemy or not.

For the other one (or two in the case of a Swashbuckler), take whatever else interests you. Good choices include:

Pushing Attack (for forced movement to move enemies around the battlefield, off cliffs, and into hazards)
Trip Attack (if there are multiple other melee attackers in your party that you want to help out by granting Advantage on their attacks)
Ambush (for even higher Initiative when it's important, and to boost vital Stealth checks)
Rally (if you want to have a nice party support option)

In your specific case, I'd likely do Riposte for off-turn Sneak Attacks, Rally since you have a decent CHA, and Pushing Attack for forced movement.

Do I need both Riposte and Brace since they are both reaction?

No. In fact, as a Rogue you already have another good use for your Reactions with Uncanny Dodge, so you'll want to ensure that you don't run into Reaction Clog by having too many competing options.

Take Riposte. That way, if an enemy attacks you and hits, you can use your Reaction to Uncanny Dodge. And if the enemy attacks you and misses, you can use your Reaction to Riposte. There's no overlap between these two Reaction abilities.

MisterD
2022-03-11, 04:03 PM
Brace: Gets them when they move within your range. Very good.
Riposte: When they miss, you get an attack. Very good.

I'd get both.

Other options:
Goading attack: Give them disadvantage against hitting everyone else, then move out of range where they have to chase you if they want to hit you.
Trip Attack: Knock prone, create advantage for yourself and others.

Thanks. With Swashbucker feat I have an extra way to use SA die so will not need Feigning Strike ( Rakish Audacity)

Frogreaver
2022-03-11, 05:33 PM
Take Riposte. That way, if an enemy attacks you and hits, you can use your Reaction to Uncanny Dodge. And if the enemy attacks you and misses, you can use your Reaction to Riposte. There's no overlap between these two Reaction abilities.

If you take 2 attacks in a turn one may miss and the other may hit. There is overlap in that situation.

J-H
2022-03-11, 05:45 PM
You still only have 1 reaction per round.

Frogreaver
2022-03-11, 05:58 PM
You still only have 1 reaction per round.

You mean you don't get 20?

I don't think anyone made that claim or even implied that you get more than 1 reaction per round.

MercCpt
2022-03-11, 06:35 PM
I would choose elf the feat you want will become pretty much useless the higher you go, you'll need to max dex for DPS and AC, cha should be your next highest then con.

Are you going to do 3 fighter / 17 rogue?

I would suggest 5 fighter / 15 rogue

You could pick up some other things alert might help you out it all depends on what you want

ender241
2022-03-11, 06:57 PM
You mean you don't get 20?

I don't think anyone made that claim or even implied that you get more than 1 reaction per round.

I believe the point was just that as soon as someone attacks you, you can use your reaction regardless of the outcome of that attack. It doesn't matter if there's a second attack and the outcome of it because at that point you've used your reaction.

Frogreaver
2022-03-11, 07:14 PM
I believe the point was just that as soon as someone attacks you, you can use your reaction regardless of the outcome of that attack. It doesn't matter if there's a second attack and the outcome of it because at that point you've used your reaction.

Right, but how does that point fit into the broader context of what was being discussed? (That being whether there is 'overlap between these 2 reaction abilities')

ender241
2022-03-11, 07:35 PM
Right, but how does that point fit into the broader context of what was being discussed? (That being whether there is 'overlap between these 2 reaction abilities')

I'm not op, but I think maybe overlap wasn't the important aspect but rather that there's no gap.

5eNeedsDarksun
2022-03-11, 07:48 PM
Maybe I missed something in the thread, but if you have a shield and don't take 5 levels of fighter you're only making one attack... so why not get Booming Blade from something like Magic Initiate? That'd get you a Familiar for advantage and another cantrip. Surely that's better than something like Piercer which is ok at low levels, but doesn't scale like Booming Blade.

sithlordnergal
2022-03-11, 08:04 PM
Sooo, I highly suggest taking some levels of Warlock, either Hexblade or Great Old One. Though I'd find out how AL rules Panache and Awakened Mind working. Snag Expertise in Persuasion, and proceed to charm your way through nearly everything.

MisterD
2022-03-11, 09:12 PM
Maybe I missed something in the thread, but if you have a shield and don't take 5 levels of fighter you're only making one attack... so why not get Booming Blade from something like Magic Initiate? That'd get you a Familiar for advantage and another cantrip. Surely that's better than something like Piercer which is ok at low levels, but doesn't scale like Booming Blade.

As High Half-Elf I have Booming Blade.
Are you saying when I look at Piercer I take initiate instead?

Maybe focus on Max Dex A.S.A.P or Dex 18 / Alert / Dex 20.

5eNeedsDarksun
2022-03-12, 12:32 AM
As High Half-Elf I have Booming Blade.
Are you saying when I look at Piercer I take initiate instead?

Maybe focus on Max Dex A.S.A.P or Dex 18 / Alert / Dex 20.

Ahh, figured I might have missed something... or I guess 1/2 missed something as you wouldn't be getting it if you went Vhuman. I think BB is definitely a need in this case, as is a way to get advantage. I'm currently playing a Rogue with a shield and used my 4th level ASI to get Magic Initiate. The Familiar is as important as the cantrip, as it's the insurance policy to make sure you hit. Without a bonus action attack or one from multi attack you're just going to miss too often by rolling one d20 per round if you don't get advantage.

Oh, and Piercer isn't bad if you have an odd score; it's better if you crit regularly though, so somewhat stacks with a Familiar. I know the standard is to go Rapier in this situation, but as Slasher is better than piercer, if ever you got a magical Scimitar, then maybe look at Slasher if you still had an odd Dex score at that point. About the best magical weapon in the book for a Rogue is a Scimitar of Speed...

CTurbo
2022-03-12, 11:43 AM
I'd go Half-Elf and start with 16 Dex, Con, and Cha

Take 1 level of Draconic Sorcerer early for 13+Dex AC, 4 cantrips, and 2 1st level spells.

I'd probably take Booming Blade, Minor Illusion, Mage Hand, and something like Control Flames or even Green Flame Blade. For 1st level spells, I'd go with any two of Disguise Self, Absorb Elements, Shield, or even Magic Missile.

I'd probably take Rogue 5 before jumping to Fighter and you could stop at Fighter 3, and then more Rogue or you could just take 5 straight levels of Fighter. I would want Fighter 5 at some point though.

For Battlemaster maneuvers, I'd take both Brace and Riposte, and probably Commanding Presence as a solid utility option.

Bump Dex to 18 at Rogue 4, and bump Dex to 20 at Fighter 4 or Rogue 8, whichever comes first. You could bump Cha or feat out from there.

With 20 Dex and a shield, your unarmored AC would be 20. Yes you have a LOT of reaction abilities, but I don't see that as a bad thing. Pretty much every round you'd either be dealing extra damage to the enemy or mitigating damage to yourself. Sounds like a win-win either way to me.

You'd end up Rogue 14, Sorcerer 1, and Fighter 5. That's 7d6 sneak damage twice most rounds and an additional attack.

Lord Vukodlak
2022-03-12, 05:31 PM
Rather then dueling I would suggest defensive.