Level: Wiz/Sor 6
Components: V, S, F
Casting Time: 1 full round action
Range: touch
Target: A Door, Portal, Archway, ect.
Duration: permanent until discharged
Saving Throw: Reflex (See text)
Spell Resistance: No

This spell infuses a door with a magical trap that causes anyone going through the target door to appear in a pre-determined door up to 100 miles/caster level away, as the spell Teleport. If the creature passing through the door succeeds on a reflex save, they notice the teleportation effect as it begins, and move backwards to the square they were in before attempting to go through the door. Creatures succeeding on their reflex saves are dazed for one round. A creature unaware of the trap beforehand is flatfooted when they arrive on the other side. The spell only affects one side of either door; if you cast the spell so that it affects the north side of a door, someone coming from the south side would not be affected, but someone coming from the north would. The entrance point may be on either side of the entrance, regardless of which side you are on. However, the silver key (see the focus portion) must be on the side of the exit portal you wish the effect to leave the subject at. Before going through the door, the effect is not active, and so anybody looking through the affected space would notice nothing unusual. The effect is one way, and lasts for one round after the first creature passes through.
You are immune to the effects of this spell, and may make a password that may be spoken to allow others to pass unhindered. You may designate a particular kind of creature that is affected, but only by things that are readily apparent. Thus, you could allow elves to pass through, or animals, but not chaotic good creatures.
For the purpose of the distance between the two points, if one end is a portal between dimensions, the distance is between the two points on the material point. Both keys (see focus) must be on the same plane, but since the entrance may be on either side of the door or portal targeted, this spell may effectively redirect which point in a plane a portal leads to.
Focus: A golden key on either side pf the entrance door, and a silver key on the arrival side the exit door.

no, I don't mean Dormammu. It was originally a Frankensteined up version of Door, but my subconcious is apparently a comic buff on things I've never even read.

...Eh?
2007-11-23, 07:30 PM
This has some seriously awesome potiential. Inescapable prison cell? Put two doors on either side of the room and cast the spell so that each door leads to the other. They'll go insane eventually.

Collin152
2007-11-23, 07:34 PM
Well, the spell won't last beyond the initial transport, but if it were permancie-able (Now theres a thought...) than yeah, a jail cell that you can throw things into, but they can never force themselves out of.

Randel
2007-11-23, 11:59 PM
Ah, but what would happen if a half-orc adventurer saw the exit door, ripped it right out of the wall and carried it through the entrance door?

Xyk
2007-11-24, 12:08 AM
if the door was ripped out, i'd say, the portal would stay the same. just like you would rip a door out and you'd just see the room.

Collin152
2007-11-24, 01:04 AM
Ah, but what would happen if a half-orc adventurer saw the exit door, ripped it right out of the wall and carried it through the entrance door?

It's not the door so much as the doorway.
But, if you insist on transporting yourself with the destination....
You tear a hole in the fabric of reality, and are lost forever in some distant corner of the astral plane, your mind forever torn from your body.
Yeah, you don't want to do that.

vegetalss4
2007-11-24, 03:48 AM
cool

It's not the door so much as the doorway.
But, if you insist on transporting yourself with the destination....
You tear a hole in the fabric of reality, and are lost forever in some distant corner of the astral plane, your mind forever torn from your body.
Yeah, you don't want to do that
very cool. i got one question, How big is said hole in the fabric of reality:smallbiggrin:

Kaelaroth
2007-11-24, 04:11 AM
I love this so much! It willed be used in my next campaign... possibly the evil villain will have it permanenced on the door to his BBEG hideout.

Thanks very much, and congrats on making something that cool.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-11-24, 06:20 AM
This is probably not how it functions, but this spell really reminds me of those doors they had in Monsters Inc. Open one and it's a perfectly normal doorway to a location not only not on the other side but not even on the same plane of existence(or at least that's what I picked up from the movie).
But what I'm picking up from this is the normal look at the end of the hall, but it just moves you somewhere else, am I right? Or is it actually more like what it reminds me of?

philippos
2007-11-24, 08:02 AM
very cool. i got one question, How big is said hole in the fabric of reality:smallbiggrin:

about the size of the door?

as to the monsters inc doors they opened bothways if the monsters side doors were powered up, and they had to use an exact duplicate door (or more likely the same door) but this spell lets you use any two doors.

what would happen if you changed the door size from medium to tiny, would the person get stuck/crushed or do they teleport infront or do a shrinky-dink and then grow to normal size, I wonder?

Arakune
2007-11-24, 08:35 AM
The wizard that invented this spell have an awakened advanced (medium) half-construct cat? That's blue and have no ears? :smallbiggrin:

DracoDei
2007-11-24, 10:09 AM
Everyone forgets that the door is only USUALLY the weakest part of a cell... gotta remember about the WALLS, CEILING, and FLOOR.
Interesting trap/escape method/utility spell though.

Charlie Kemek
2007-11-24, 10:40 AM
a few questions.
what happens if a giant throws an entire adventuring party through the door, all at once? does only one person get teleported, chosen randomly, or does everyone get teleported?
and if someone is laying halfway in each doorway, is the spell discharged, and are they sliced in half, or is the spell not discharged, and they are still there, or half here, half there? can you use permanency on this spell? I think you should be able to. that's how you get the monster inc doors, cast the spell on both doors, and then use permanency on them.
sorry if i am a little confusing. :smallbiggrin:

MagFlare
2007-11-24, 11:39 AM
Which of the doors leads to cake?

Attilargh
2007-11-24, 01:05 PM
The cake is a lie. Everybody knows that.

Charlie: The spell lasts for "one round after the first creature passes through", which implies multiple creatures may pass. As long as they do it quick-quick, anyways.

Charlie Kemek
2007-11-24, 04:44 PM
The cake is a lie. Everybody knows that.

Charlie: The spell lasts for "one round after the first creature passes through", which implies multiple creatures may pass. As long as they do it quick-quick, anyways.

really? where does it say that?:smallamused:

Kaelaroth
2007-11-24, 04:48 PM
Which of the doors leads to cake?

With careful planning, a big axe, and the right attitude, all doors lead to cake! :smallsmile:

Collin152
2007-11-24, 09:17 PM
really? where does it say that?:smallamused:

No, that's right. First one moves through, portal stays open until it would be their turn again.

While I'm not entirely serious about the hole in reality, if it did happen, it would be as large as the intersection of the two portals. So, no larger than the size of a door.

I must say, I did NOT get the cat thing at all. I feel like I'm on the outside of an inside joke. *sniff*

I'm certainly glad people like this, though. Does the level seem appropriate? Should Bards get access to this spell?
I'm a little loathe to make it permancie-able, given that it would make it essentially a cheaper way to transport anything than Teleportation Circle. I want to, but ten I'd probably have to raise the level.

Taroshk
2007-11-25, 06:50 PM
Wouldn't spell resistance apply? With that I would see that it would... maybe it would spit them out of a random door 100 miles/caster level... or just not work... either way i would think spell resistance would do something.

Suzuro
2007-11-25, 07:12 PM
Hmmmmmm......portals. Sorry, but this just really reminds me of it

-Suzuro

Collin152
2007-11-25, 07:45 PM
What about portals? Are there spells what do this already?
As for spell resistance, which would you prefer: The Heavy Spell reistanced Fighter passes through the door just fine, then the squishy without it gets warped off to face peril alone, or the Fighter taking the lead manages to hold his own until the wizard can bring him back.

Shraik
2007-11-25, 09:04 PM
What you do is you put people in a room with two doors, when you go through one, you come out the other. When you go through the ther you hit a wall of force. Or if you want to make it so when the go through the first door, they come ou the second, and use an antigravity spell(forgot spells name) to shove them into the first door, Putting them in an infinite loop

Collin152
2007-11-25, 09:14 PM
What you do is you put people in a room with two doors, when you go through one, you come out the other. When you go through the ther you hit a wall of force. Or if you want to make it so when the go through the first door, they come ou the second, and use an antigravity spell(forgot spells name) to shove them into the first door, Putting them in an infinite loop

Or just put the exit above the entrance.
Wouldn't work though, as the spell only gives one transport as currently written.

Mewtarthio
2007-11-25, 11:14 PM
I picture two doors facing each other. One door is attached to a horizontal piston, the other is just on a wall as normal. Set the wall door as the entrance and the piston door as the exit, with both portals keyed to the side facing the other door. Make sure the wall door is made out of a relatively weak material, like paper, and the piston door out of a relatively strong material, like iron. Now, tie up a prisoner and place him right in front of the piston door. I think you see where this is going: Smash him with the piston into the wall door, and he should break the wall door down, flying out of the piston door, which is directly on top of the wall door, which sends him through the piston door...

Collin152
2007-11-25, 11:27 PM
I picture two doors facing each other. One door is attached to a horizontal piston, the other is just on a wall as normal. Set the wall door as the entrance and the piston door as the exit, with both portals keyed to the side facing the other door. Make sure the wall door is made out of a relatively weak material, like paper, and the piston door out of a relatively strong material, like iron. Now, tie up a prisoner and place him right in front of the piston door. I think you see where this is going: Smash him with the piston into the wall door, and he should break the wall door down, flying out of the piston door, which is directly on top of the wall door, which sends him through the piston door...

... causing him to float in non-temporal stasis, causing him to painfully wait there until he dies of thirst, then crumbles to dust. Ooh, Deadly. Where can I find this piston?

Man, maybe letting it be permancy-able is too borked.

Kami2awa
2007-11-26, 05:40 PM
This spell could be attached to an item; specifically a magical key that activates the door-portal and takes you either to a specific location (that can only be reached using the key) or to anywhere you specify, similar to the doors in The Matrix Reloaded or The Lost Room, or even the TARDIS.

Collin152
2007-11-26, 07:35 PM
Mmm, Tardis. Well, If you keep enough silver keys in various places around the world, any one door with a golden key could take you to many places, kind of like in Howl's moving castle.

Collin152
2007-11-30, 05:02 PM
So, is that all that people have to say then?

Destro_Yersul
2007-12-03, 05:45 AM
I want it to be permananciable so very much...

But then my players couldn't have it...

Oh well, it's better as something the BBEG developed for his own personal use, memorized so he can prepare it without a book, and then destroyed the only hard copies so no one else could ever use it.