PDA

View Full Version : Bard character inspiration help

MarkVIIIMarc
2022-03-11, 06:42 PM
Hello,

We have a new campaign working up in a bit and I'm trying to work up some character concepts.

One I have tentatively named Roger Keith will be about a musician who turned into a bard. So far for a back story I have:

Roger became famous and rich as a young musician playing in a traveling band which played contemporary hits and relied on their looks and reputation. Then after discovering the band's management had an evil side Roger got kicked out of the band became a depressed drunk and hit rock bottom loosing everything keeping only his Gittern (lute). Frequently he played street corners for change and alone with just his instruments for company and distraction became a REAL musician. After several more years Roger began to feel how music flowed through things and discovered he could be more. Since he's been wandering from town to town looking for his former band mates no one has heard from in years.

Too obvious? Any other ideas? I can't see this guy being a real armor wearing knight so it would have to be one of the caster focused colleges. Any ideas besides Lore which I've played?

Unoriginal
2022-03-11, 06:56 PM
Frequently he played street corners for change and alone with just his instruments for company and distraction became a REAL musician.

I don't get that part. He wasn't a real musician before?

Too obvious? Any other ideas?

A pretty interesting backstory overall. For what reason is he looking for people who kicked him out of a sweet gig without remorse years ago, though?

I can't see this guy being a real armor wearing knight so it would have to be one of the caster focused colleges. Any ideas besides Lore which I've played?

I mean, even the most combat-focus Bard won't be an armor wearing knight without feats or multiclass.

However, if you want go for a Bard who really became in tune with the Music of the Word, then I would go with the College of Creation.

Corran
2022-03-11, 09:41 PM
Roger became famous and rich as a young musician playing in a traveling band which played contemporary hits and relied on their looks and reputation. Then after discovering the band's management had an evil side...
The band had grown a good enough reputation to get hired to play at fancy gatherings. During such concerts the band would make a small break, during which Roger would stay on scene to keep the folks entertained with his great lute solos, but also distracted while the rest of the band would sneak around to steal valuables. Of course Roger had no idea and was in it only for the music. It was a good scheme while it lasted, but once people started putting two and two together, after some time (the band didn't stay at one place for too long) the band split, each one of them taking their share from their ill gotten gains and starting a new life somewhere else (possible NPCs down the road). Each one but Roger, who was left without a band, without gold, and with several questions from the authorities which he didn't know how to answer. Was he that blind, or was it that he didn't want to see the truth since he enjoyed his life a bit too much? Most importantly, was it worth it? For all the bad this may did to others and to him, he might have never cultivated his natural talent if it wasn't for this opportunity.

Since he's been wandering from town to town looking for his former band mates no one has heard from in years.
Let the past find him if and when it's appropriate (eg, ask your DM for an NPC you meet to be a member of that band, if that creates some good roleplaying opportunity or some dynamic interesting for the whole group). You need a more solid reason for adventuring. Perhaps you try to clear your name, while being on the run from certain authorities (eg introduce a very low CR NPC detective who takes his job waaaay to seriously and who is tracking you down in case you lead him to the rest of the band). Or maybe you want to use your music for something good and honest for a change. An adventuring group is some sort of band, isn't it? Perhaps you try a bit too much during short rests and downtime to get your fellow adventurers musicians to get better at playing their musical instruments. You know, the ones you bought for them (a magical horn wouldn't be too bad of a gift I suppose).

Any other ideas?
Yep. Roger is cursed. Or at the very least that's what he thinks. Whatever ship he has been on board of, has sunk. Pirates, storms, monsters, you name it. Or at least that's what everyone thinks. Roger knows it was because of his music. Playing music while travelling by sea is not an option for him, and that's why he hates boats. But people wouldn't understand so he keeps the real reason secret (INT 8-10 recommended).

One time a small band of sirens tried to get Roger and his crewmates to jump of their ship. Then Roger started playing his lute. The sirens went silent and jumped on the ship to enjoy the performance. Later that day the ship sunk to a storm, obviously.

The new band manager of your old band is a banshee. One day you may have to face her in a rock off.

MarkVIIIMarc
2022-03-12, 12:08 AM
I don't get that part. He wasn't a real musician before?

A pretty interesting backstory overall. For what reason is he looking for people who kicked him out of a sweet gig without remorse years ago, though?

I mean, even the most combat-focus Bard won't be an armor wearing knight without feats or multiclass.

However, if you want go for a Bard who really became in tune with the Music of the Word, then I would go with the College of Creation.

Thank you for the good points and ideas.

-When he started off he was in a stereotypical "fun" pop band and was good at partying. Afterwards he lived the D&D blues so to say and became a "real" musician.

-Good point asking why he is looking for them. Maybe he genuinely liked some members and has a grudge against others? I'll have to work on that.

MarkVIIIMarc
2022-03-12, 12:10 AM
The band had grown a good enough reputation to get hired to play at fancy gatherings. During such concerts the band would make a small break, during which Roger would stay on scene to keep the folks entertained with his great lute solos, but also distracted while the rest of the band would sneak around to steal valuables. Of course Roger had no idea and was in it only for the music. It was a good scheme while it lasted, but once people started putting two and two together, after some time (the band didn't stay at one place for too long) the band split, each one of them taking their share from their ill gotten gains and starting a new life somewhere else (possible NPCs down the road). Each one but Roger, who was left without a band, without gold, and with several questions from the authorities which he didn't know how to answer. Was he that blind, or was it that he didn't want to see the truth since he enjoyed his life a bit too much? Most importantly, was it worth it? For all the bad this may did to others and to him, he might have never cultivated his natural talent if it wasn't for this opportunity.

Let the past find him if and when it's appropriate (eg, ask your DM for an NPC you meet to be a member of that band, if that creates some good roleplaying opportunity or some dynamic interesting for the whole group). You need a more solid reason for adventuring. Perhaps you try to clear your name, while being on the run from certain authorities (eg introduce a very low CR NPC detective who takes his job waaaay to seriously and who is tracking you down in case you lead him to the rest of the band). Or maybe you want to use your music for something good and honest for a change. An adventuring group is some sort of band, isn't it? Perhaps you try a bit too much during short rests and downtime to get your fellow adventurers musicians to get better at playing their musical instruments. You know, the ones you bought for them (a magical horn wouldn't be too bad of a gift I suppose).

Yep. Roger is cursed. Or at the very least that's what he thinks. Whatever ship he has been on board of, has sunk. Pirates, storms, monsters, you name it. Or at least that's what everyone thinks. Roger knows it was because of his music. Playing music while travelling by sea is not an option for him, and that's why he hates boats. But people wouldn't understand so he keeps the real reason secret (INT 8-10 recommended).

One time a small band of sirens tried to get Roger and his crewmates to jump of their ship. Then Roger started playing his lute. The sirens went silent and jumped on the ship to enjoy the performance. Later that day the ship sunk to a storm, obviously.

The new band manager of your old band is a banshee. One day you may have to face her in a rock off.

Nice. I appreciate the tip of something to toss ideas at the DM in particular in an open ended kind of way that may work in with the DM's world.

Funny about the imagined curse also. I just may have to use that. Character quirks are fun.

Rashagar
2022-03-13, 06:29 PM
College of Spirits, but by "spirits" he means "alcoholic beverages"?

da newt
2022-03-13, 06:42 PM
Originally he was just a pretty boy inserted into a boy band by corporate - he was more of a personality/look than a true musician, but years on his own working for food/shelter he's discovered the blues and the true core of music ...

MarkVIIIMarc
2022-03-14, 09:13 AM
Originally he was just a pretty boy inserted into a boy band by corporate - he was more of a personality/look than a true musician, but years on his own working for food/shelter he's discovered the blues and the true core of music ...

Exactly! I have a DM who has been in bands so he just might appreciate it too.

College of Spirits = College of alcohol lol. That was good. I'm thinking of using the moody alcoholic thing sparingly. Maybe just after each time a party member gets killed.

I've been using Roger Keith for a name. Maybe Richard Keith would be better? I'm up for suggestions there also.

Tawmis
2022-03-14, 01:32 PM
If you need a character background written up, I know a guy on these forums that does that. (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?591882-Need-a-character-background-written-up) :smalltongue: