PDA

View Full Version : The Pastoral Life [IC]

Pages : [1] 2

JNAProductions
2022-03-11, 08:14 PM
OOC Thread (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?643622-The-Pastoral-Life-OOC&p=25392822)

It's early spring. Flowers are blooming, birds are singing, and life is going well. Winter was a bit harsh-but Feypass had stocks of food, and no one died due to the bad weather.

Naoki has made it known that he'd like a bit of a celebration-people are weary from the cold season, and it'd do well to put a little pep in everyone's step.

What are you doing, after you awaken?

Palanan
2022-03-11, 08:56 PM
The water in the streams is still chilly, but river-mussels are lovely when steamed, especially the ones from a particular thicket-lined creek that Ashkey knows well, one that the Larger Folk have never thought to look for.

So, after waking with the dawn, Keys will make his quiet way through the forest, along fox-traces and great fallen trunks to one of his best fishing-rafts. He’ll paddle quietly upstream for a while until he finds a nice sandy stretch, just a few inches beneath the flowing water, where he knows there’s a good mussel patch.

Lentrax
2022-03-11, 10:18 PM
The broom whisks as Miyuki sweeps the floor of her shrine. Her ears sag as she looks sadly at the tree she had tried to transplant form her grove. One day she may know enough to successfully grow one of the cherry trees.

But that is not this year.

Ah well. Plenty of years to come.

She wonders how long it would be until Kashia came in for some solitude for her studies.

Whisk goes the broom.

JNAProductions
2022-03-11, 10:35 PM
Palanan, roll me a Survival check, with advantage for knowing the area well to see how good your haul is.

Ashkey starts the hunt for the delicious seafood, taking his time as needed.

It's not long. The sun is cresting the horizon when Kashia practically hurls herself into the shrine's grounds. "Blech!" she lets out. "Sometimes people just royally tick me off, you know? But, uh, good morning, Miss Miyuki! Did you get the cerry blossoms working?"

Dr.Gunsforhands
2022-03-12, 12:15 AM
In using relatively swift meditation as a substitute for sleep, elves residing in Feypass soon get used to the idea of being the last ones to bed and the first to rise. By the time the chickens are waking up their masters, Miss Kaytu has already performed her morning prayers, dry-brushed her long hair and made some tea for breakfast.

She's trying some of Ispa's new blend today. She takes her first sip as she sits outside the temple, watching the sun rise.

Palanan
2022-03-12, 12:30 AM
Survival:
[roll0]
[roll1]

JNAProductions
2022-03-12, 09:48 AM
It takes a good half an hour to collect the food, but Ashkey manages to snag enough mussels to improve everyone's meals for a day or so.

Kaytu spends a good ten minutes simply watching the shifting colors of the rising sun. Around when she decides that the sun's colors have settled enough for the day, Mrs. Carpenter comes over, supporting her husband, who's limping something fierce. "My idiot husband," Charity says, her voice full of concern with just a tint of anger, "thought it'd be a good idea to try his hand at renovating the old shack alone. He took out a load-bearing wall, and-"

"I can still talk, sweetie," Jonathan says. "And yeah... I was a fool. I took out a load-bearing wall, and half of it collapsed on me. I could really use some healing to help kickstart the process."

Lentrax
2022-03-12, 10:09 AM
Miyuki sighs again as she contemplates her tree.

Sadly, no. I have not figured out why it will not grow outside the forest. Perhaps in time I will.

She replaces her broom in its place in the corner, then turns to Kashia.

Now what is this about people troubling you?

JNAProductions
2022-03-12, 04:49 PM
"It's just... You know, my dad, being... I don't know. Overprotective? Is that the best word?" she says. She's complained about this to you before-her mother, some four or five years ago, passed due to some magical incident. Since then, her father has taken a hefty dislike to the arcane, and has tried his best to push her away from it. "I don't know what he thinks he's gonna accomplish by telling me no."

DigoDragon
2022-03-12, 04:52 PM
Ellie wakes up late, due to an all-night bender on spell research (again). She moans and licks her dry lips. Then she snaps her fingers and an ethereal hand brings her hat from the hook over the bed. Ellie slowly stumbles out of bed and checks the mirror. Her hair is a mess; epic bedhead.

"Yeah, looking good there, El," she tells herself.

She waves her hands, magically cleaning the stains off her clothes, freshing her skin, and combing her hair. Mostly combing. " Acceptable for the normies."

Ellie makes some tea and toast for breakfast, then steps into her porch to eat and plan out her day. She probably should go check her supplies; pantry is a little low. Maybe there's work to do as well? She hasn't done much lately and so Ellie is down to her last ten silver pieces now. Hmm.

Palanan
2022-03-12, 06:10 PM
With a small sack full of mussels—so fresh they’re still spouting—Keys lays his rough paddle beside him on the raft, and allows the creek’s modest current to slowly waft him downstream again.

While part of him is alert to small motions in the thickets on either side, another part of him is allowing the river’s motion to bring him into the greater current of Eldath’s sacred will, such that he moves both upon Her holy water and within Her holy design, a quiet soul in one tiny corner of the great lattice of water forever threading throughout the world.

JNAProductions
2022-03-12, 07:24 PM
Naoki is the first one to spot Ellie on her porch. "Good morning, Ellie!" he says with a happy wave. "Have you given any thoughts to what I asked before?"

The trip back is calm for Keys. The current takes you gently, and you barely need to paddle. Almost too soon, you have to moor, ending your relaxing little trip. No one's right there at the short pier, but you should find someplace to keep the mussels fresh.

Lentrax
2022-03-12, 09:24 PM
"It's just... You know, my dad, being... I don't know. Overprotective? Is that the best word?" she says. She's complained about this to you before-her mother, some four or five years ago, passed due to some magical incident. Since then, her father has taken a hefty dislike to the arcane, and has tried his best to push her away from it. "I don't know what he thinks he's gonna accomplish by telling me no."

My guess would be that he just wants what is best for you. After all, many who study their entire lives and accomplish incredible feats with their gifts may still meet their end meddling with what they do not comprehend. Look at me, for example. I have the talent. I could pursue it, should I wish. But I content myself with what I have.

JNAProductions
2022-03-12, 09:39 PM
"Okay, but what if something happens that I could help with, had I practiced magic?" she replies. "It might be dangerous to meddle, but it seems more dangerous to live in ignorance."

Dr.Gunsforhands
2022-03-12, 09:44 PM
Kaytu hastily sets down her tea, likely spilling it on the ground. She can't say she was trying too hard to avoid that. A few people highly recommended it, but Ispa's tea still tastes like charcoal to her.

"Not another word," she says as she run up to meet the Carpenters and take a look at Jon's injured leg. She has no reason to doubt their story, and if the danger has passed, she has time to assess what she's dealing with.

It's probably not even that bad. Like most children, humans only get scared of injuries like this because of how few times they've experienced them before.

Medicine: [roll0]

Assuming it's simple damage and we're not in a weird situation where healing will lock a broken bone in the wrong place or something, she can also put in a healing word: [roll1]

She sighs, relieved, and closes her eyes for a quick prayer. "Thankfully, the gods continue to bless us with natural resilience and fortitude." She holds her hand over Jon's swollen and bruised joints, and whispers the word homeostasis to cast the spell. The injuries feel hot for a few seconds as his body's healing work suddenly accelerates to near-completion. She opens her eyes and stands up. "You will be fine. I'm not sure exactly what happened, but be careful from now on, alright? You could lose your entire leg next time."

Lentrax
2022-03-12, 09:54 PM
"Okay, but what if something happens that I could help with, had I practiced magic?" she replies. "It might be dangerous to meddle, but it seems more dangerous to live in ignorance."

Miyuki tilts her head, causing her fox eyes to gleam mischeviously in the morning light.

And what could magic do, that hands alone could not? A fist clutches a weapon to fight as readily as a spell. A torch just as easily burns a home or a forest as well as a bolt of fire. Hands just as easily carry water to quench the flames magic cause. Would you say these are wrong?

And then, Miyuki is gone, replaced by a small fox, as white as Miyuki's hair with the same red patter below and between her eyes.

Or would you just wish yourself apart from others?

The fox leaps up onto shelves and peers down at the girl from atop them.

Or over them, perhaps?

DigoDragon
2022-03-13, 12:56 AM
Naoki is the first one to spot Ellie on her porch. "Good morning, Ellie!" he says with a happy wave. "Have you given any thoughts to what I asked before?"

Ellie holds her tea on her lap, considering what Naoki asked earlier... what did Naoki ask? Oh fiddle-sticks! See, this is what all-nighters on magical research can do to your memory. You get so caught up on one thing that you forget something else.

"Morning. I am absolutely positive that I did," Ellie began, shaking her head no, "But my memory is a bit foggy this morning. I don't like mornings much."

She runs a finger through a curl in her long hair, looking a little sheepish. "Would you be a dear and remind me what it is you asked earlier?"

JNAProductions
2022-03-13, 10:22 AM
Kaytu's expert guidance lets her realize that the bone probably isn't broken, but it's a nasty sprain. He should avoid putting pressure on it as best he can, though the magic will help out considerably. Jonathan lets out a sigh of relief as the word of power washes over his leg. "Ah, that feels better. How long should I keep activity off it?" he asks.

"You're not walking on your own till she says you're able to!" Charity tells him. "Thank you, sweetie. We really appreciate this."

Jonathan nods, and offers "Would you like to come break your fast with us? It's been a while since you visited, and Daniel still remembers what you did last time, what with the story with all the special effects. I doubt he'd mind another one."

"I mean, fire's probably a bad example. You ever try carrying water with your bare hands?" Kashia says, chuckling a little bit. "And magic doesn't make you better than anyone else-it just lets you do other things. Mr. Carpenter doesn't need magic to build a house, for example. I just... You know, I have power. I want to be able to use it."

She sits down, and lets out a sigh. "I kinda get what you're saying. I do want to have something about me that sets me apart, and I guess that's a little selfish? But I want to be able to use it to help people. Is that bad?"

"Nothing too major!" he says, reassuring you. "I just thought a little celebration would help everyone get over the winter blues, and was wondering if you'd be able to help with festivities. I know you're usually busy, off in your own world, but I think it'd be nice for you to spend some time celebrating with everyone else. Maybe show off a few of your tricks."

Naoki smiles, and adds "It's okay if you don't want to."

Lentrax
2022-03-13, 11:14 AM
The fox hops down to the floor, and a moment later, Miyuki is standing in front of the girl again.

Power is dangerous without knowledge to guide it, and wisdom to know when not to use it.

She walks over to the shelf, and begins scanning the books there.

And yes. I have carried water with my bare hands. It’s called a bucket.

She pulls out a small book, bound with wood tied together by leather thongs.

Todays reading. A collection of meditations on seeking one’s inner self and the art of Zen.

JNAProductions
2022-03-13, 12:08 PM
"You said hands, not bucket!" Kashia retorts, but does take the book and finds a good spot to sit and read.

DigoDragon
2022-03-13, 01:55 PM
"Nothing too major!" he says, reassuring you. "I just thought a little celebration would help everyone get over the winter blues, and was wondering if you'd be able to help with festivities. I know you're usually busy, off in your own world, but I think it'd be nice for you to spend some time celebrating with everyone else. Maybe show off a few of your tricks."

Naoki smiles, and adds "It's okay if you don't want to."

Ellie smiles as she takes a sip of tea. "Well, it has been a fairly cold season and it would be nice to stretch out the magical fingers, figuratively speaking," she says. A show of magic would be good advertising her services again and landing some work.

"Sure, I'll do it. What is a celebration without a little razzle dazzle? Just name the date and I will be there."

Palanan
2022-03-13, 02:55 PM
Since this is early spring, Goodman Lews’ cold-pit should still have plenty of ice, which would be a fine place to store the mussels; so Keys takes one of a thousand subtle shortcuts through thickets, brambles and overlooked woods towards the Lews family farm.

Keys will also keep an eye out for any of Pelt’s traps or snares. Eldath counsels against confrontation, but Keys quietly enjoys disabling Pelt’s killing devices, and will free and heal any surviving animals if he can.

JNAProductions
2022-03-13, 03:50 PM
"We're getting it worked out, but aim for sometime later this week?" the elder says questioningly. "If you need any help, let me know."

Palanan, give me some kind of Wisdom check. Add proficiency if you feel it appropriate.

Palanan
2022-03-13, 03:55 PM
Perception:
[roll0]

JNAProductions
2022-03-13, 03:58 PM
[roll0]

You find two of Pelt's traps, and carefully sabotage them. It's not much-but it's something.

None of them had been sprung yet, though.

Palanan
2022-03-13, 04:22 PM
With an extra spring in his step—though moving much more quietly and carefully, now that he knows Pelt may be about—Keys continues on his way to the Lews farm.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2022-03-13, 05:37 PM
Kaytu gets a little wrapped up in her own head for a moment.

"I don't see why not," she says with a soft smile, "especially if your cooking is still as good as last time. Are you sure you're not worried that I'll tell an embarrassing story about you two instead?"

DigoDragon
2022-03-14, 06:31 AM
Ellie mentally commits to the time. She stands and bows. "I shall bring a wonderous spectacle of magic to the festivities."

She finishes her tea and places it on her porch railing. "I shall begin preparations, but first, I will need to make the morning rounds. I don't suppose you know of anyone requiring my services?" Ellie asks.

JNAProductions
2022-03-14, 11:26 AM
At the Lews farm, you see the early risers tending to the animals. The oldest Lews daughter is getting feed out to the chickens, and doesn't spot you at first. You call over, and she straightens and waves back. "Hello there! What brings you here this morning?"

Charity laughs. "I think we'll manage alright, no matter what the story is. And I think a certain husband of mine will need to do the cooking for a bit, since I'll be the one doing a lot of the work."

Jonathan nods, and says in agreement "That's fair. I'm not as good a chef as my lovely wife is, but I don't think you'll have too much to complain about."

It's not long at all before you arrive at the Carpenter home. The kids are all up, having heard the crash and boom of the collapsing shack, and they've all concern on their faces. "I'm fine. Kaytu helped me get it set and healing, though I'll be sitting a lot for the next week or so. Now, William, can you start the fire up? She is our guest for breakfast today."

There's some hustle and bustle of a family cooking. Daniel, little ten year old Daniel, sits next to you at the table while breakfast is prepared. "Dad's gonna be okay, right? He's telling the truth, Miss Kaytu?"

Naoki thinks a moment. "I don't believe so-though I heard some commotion at the Carpenter homestead. Perhaps head there, make sure everyone is okay?"

Dr.Gunsforhands
2022-03-14, 06:06 PM
"Of course he is," Kaytu calmly says to the actual child. "He just needs to rest until it's better, so he doesn't undo its natural healing by mistake. You can make sure he doesn't have to walk until then, right?"

She meets Daniels eyes as she says this, as though she's counting on him to take on this great responsibility.

JNAProductions
2022-03-14, 08:22 PM
"Yes ma'am!" he says. "No walking for dad. Gotcha."

He turns to face his father, who's adjusting himself in his seat. "Right dad?"

Jonathan smiles and reaches over to tousle Daniel's hair. "That means you'll have to be extra good about helping out at the house, then."

Dr.Gunsforhands
2022-03-14, 09:47 PM
"Indeed," Kaytu nods. "Meanwhile, what about you three? Other than the shed, what have you been working on since the last time I saw you?"

DigoDragon
2022-03-14, 10:23 PM
Naoki thinks a moment. "I don't believe so-though I heard some commotion at the Carpenter homestead. Perhaps head there, make sure everyone is okay?"

"Ah yes, the bane of all living creatures-- splinters." Ellie lightly laughs at her own humor. "I will pay them a visit; I'm sure it is nothing serious, and I can swing by the village square to plan out my act."

She takes the cup inside, though sets it down on the nearest table and not the kitchen. She picks up her tome of spells, stuffs it into a satchel along with a few odd materials in a little pouch. Ellie snaps her fingers and a staff levitates off the wall and into her hand. She leaves her little hut and steps off the porch. She whistles up to the roof.

"Archimedes, dear! We have work to do today."

A white owl swoops down from the rooftop and perches on Ellie's shoulder. Ellie gives her familiar a gentle, loving scratch under the chin and sets off to the carpenter's homestead. She consults her tome on the way, reviewing her arcane writings.

Lentrax
2022-03-14, 11:26 PM
As Kashia seats herself to begin reading, Miyuki goes over to a small table where a small bowl rests with several sticks of incense.

Using a sliver of wood from the embers of the morning’s fire, Miyuki lights the incense, and then seats herself on the floor, meditating.

Seeking the peace within.

JNAProductions
2022-03-15, 09:52 AM
At the Carpenter house, before Kaytu's question can be answered, there's a knock. Charity gets the door, and sees Ellie there. "Good morning-what brings you here today?"

Ellie mentions that Naoki heard some commotion, and wanted her to check. Charity nods, and says "Jonathan got a bit reckless with some work-but Kaytu was able to help. Still, if you'd like to join us for breakfast, we'd be happy to have more company."

William rolls his eyes, subtly. "More work for the chefs, huh? Anyway, uh, Miss Kaytu, I've been reading some stuff on smithing. I figured I could try expanding my skillset."

Faith starts to move some eggs from the pan to plates, and says "I've been trying to get something worked out for a trip to the city. Mom's been helping out."

Jonathan looks to Faith. "I... Don't recall this being talked about."

Jon's being an overprotective dad. He means well, of course! But is perhaps being a touch smothering.
Faith has, occasionally, mentioned a pen pal in the city.

"Miyuki..." Kashia says. "Do you really think it's a bad idea to learn magic? I mean, Ellie has magic, and everyone likes her, and she's helpful... Kaytu has her healing and that kind of stuff, and that's good. I just... Yeah..."

DigoDragon
2022-03-15, 11:01 PM
Ellie certainly does not decline a meal. Certainly not on her current budget.

"Ah, so the situation has been taken care of. Well, very good, Kaytu," Ellie says, focusing on the eggs.

The mention of the city does slightly sour Ellie's disposition, but she tries to recover. "Hmm. The city is... well I suppose you could go to worse places." She chews on more egg.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2022-03-16, 09:22 AM
"Good morning, Ellie," says Kaytu as the wizard walks in. She's about to ask a follow-up question to William, but she has to swallow some drool from the smell of fresh eggs and the more sensitive-slash-exciting topic comes up before she can get the words out.

"I see! It's to visit your friend, right?" she asks Faith, ignoring Jon on purpose. "When were you thinking of going?"

JNAProductions
2022-03-23, 02:13 PM
"Um... Well, Ted and I have been talking a while, you know, and..." Faith starts, before swallowing as her dad looks at her. "Um, mom?"

Charity looks over to Jon, and tells him "Honey, she's growing up. I've read every letter she's gotten, because she shared them with me. He's a perfect young gentleman in his letters, and you know damn well that I wouldn't let our daughter do anything truly stupid. But she knew you'd get like this-Faith, sweetie, it was the same when we were first dating. He gets all lovey-dovey, and then overprotective."

Jon scowls. "These letters... What do they talk about?"

Faith looks at her dad, and a glint of determination is visible in her eyes. "We talk about everything, dad. His work as a gemcutter, my work here on the homestead, our hopes, our dreams, our troubles... And what we want to be to each other. I don't know if he's the one, dad, but I intend to find out, and you can only do so much over a letter."

There's a moment of silence. It ends as Jonathan pulls in a deep, deep breath through his nose. Then out through his mouth. "I... You know I only want the best for you."

"I know, dad," Faith responds, quieter and looking down.

"But I know too I can be hard-headed. Stubborn. Unwilling to listen when I think I'm right," he says, his voice gentle, restrained. "I would like to see the letters, please. After breakfast. I want to see for myself what kind of person this Ted is."

Faith nods. There's a few tears in her eyes. She sets her fork down, and moves around the table to envelop her dad in a hug. You can see him wince, ever-so-slightly, when she tightens, but he tightens his arms against her right back.

The rest of breakfast is much quieter. There's some slight tension, with Faith worried about what her dad will think, but they trust one another. They love one another.

Once the food is done, Charity gets her sons to help clean up, while Jon takes Faith upstairs. "I... Well, I'm not going to say to tell no one, because we all know this is going to get out to the village proper at some point," Charity says dryly. "But use your judgement with what you say, okay? I hope you enjoyed the meal."

DigoDragon
2022-03-23, 08:34 PM
Ellie polishes off the remaining egg on her plate. She nods to Charity's statement. "T'was a delicious meal, thank you," she says, scratching Archimedes under the chin.

"As for judgement, it would be folly for me to say anything without seeing this man myself. Hmm... you know, I have heard that Naoki is involved with arranging a festival later this week; something to cheer the village up after the cold winter. Timing might be too short, but if this man of Faith's could be brought over, the festivities would serve a good setting for Jon to know him better. Bring the whole family. There may be some interesting attractions this time around."

She gives a knowing wink, then stands up.

"Well, it seems that you have your household well under care. If there is nothing further?"

Lentrax
2022-03-23, 08:42 PM
"Miyuki..." Kashia says. "Do you really think it's a bad idea to learn magic? I mean, Ellie has magic, and everyone likes her, and she's helpful... Kaytu has her healing and that kind of stuff, and that's good. I just... Yeah..."

I cannot answer that. That answer comes from within yourself. Who you are is not something I can give you. I can only show you a path. You have to choose to walk it.

JNAProductions
2022-03-23, 10:04 PM
Charity nods at Ellie's words. "I'll see what we can do."

Kashia nods. "Is it wrong that I'm scared? Of what could happen? Like... Either way? If I learn magic, what if I go bad? But if I don't, what if something happens I could've stopped if I had magic? What if, what if, what if... Argh!" she says, setting the book down and holding her head in her hands for a few moments. "It's just confusing. Life is rough."

A Few Days Later
Feypass is still preparing for the little festival. The four of you are helping Charity build a small stage, just in the middle of town for anyone who might want to perform-sing, dance, tell jokes or stories, whatever really. Faith comes running out of the Carpenter household, holding a letter. "Mom! Mom, I got the letter from Ted!"

Charity almost drops a hammer, but catches herself. "Dear, don't startle me! What does it say?"

"It says..." she starts, and reads from it. "To my dearest Faith-I would love to meet your family! I just hope they like me well enough. And I hope I didn't cause any troubles at home. I'm talking to Master Brandster about taking a leave of absence, but I swear I will be there as soon as I can!" She stops reading, and practically squeals in excitement. "Ted's gonna be here!"

Dr.Gunsforhands
2022-03-23, 10:21 PM
"I... Well, I'm not going to say to tell no one, because we all know this is going to get out to the village proper at some point," Charity says dryly. "But use your judgement with what you say, okay? I hope you enjoyed the meal."

"Don't worry, I wasn't going to say anything." Her father's insistence on seeing the letters is invasion enough of her privacy.

"As for judgement, it would be folly for me to say anything without seeing this man myself. Hmm... you know, I have heard that Naoki is involved with arranging a festival later this week... There may be some interesting attractions this time around."

"There's an interesting idea," Kaytu says as she stands up herself. She starts helping with the dishes as part of some inescapable reflex, but is quickly shooed away. "It would give him a reason to be the one to travel first, all other things equal."

She can tell that Chastity is sick of talking about this.

"Anyway, I should be going too," she says apologetically. "Thank you again for inviting me. If Daniel ever wants to hear more stories, you can always just bring him by the temple, alright?"

Once she's out the door, she takes some quick long strides to catch up with Ellie.

"Speaking of the festival, were you planning anything for it yourself? I confess I haven't had a lot of ideas that don't involve bobbing for things."

DigoDragon
2022-03-24, 06:05 AM
Once she's out the door, she takes some quick long strides to catch up with Ellie.

"Speaking of the festival, were you planning anything for it yourself? I confess I haven't had a lot of ideas that don't involve bobbing for things."

Ellie nods in the affirmative. "Yes, I have volunteered to put on a performance of my arcane skills. I could never say no to an audience."

She mutters something in the ancient draconic tongue and in the palm of her hand appears a small, spinning top. She crushes it within her grasp and releases the dust in the air; it sparkles with the colors of the rainbow and fades to nothing.

"Hmm, I need to work in more blue to that. Anyway, don't discount the mundane; the children enjoy a good bobbing game, and several of the field hands are... well, competitive."

Ellie chuckles.

A Few Days Later

"Ted's gonna be here!"

Ellie paused at sorting through nails and planks of wood for the stage to hear the excitement. Ah yes, it was all coming together. "Good for you, young one. He will be delighted to visit us."

She beams proudly that her idea was a good one this time. Hey, maybe they aren't all winners, but she's good for one every so often.

Meanwhile, Archimedes napped quietly in the shade of a nearby tree, occasionally opening an eye to check on some sound he heard.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2022-03-24, 05:53 PM
Kaytu nods in a agreement and sets down the sheet of plywood she was about to heave into place. "Um, if I may, who is this... Brandster?"

JNAProductions
2022-03-24, 06:37 PM
"That's his master, the gemcutter he's apprenticed to," Faith says. "He's kinda strict, but not a bad guy. And really skilled-Ted looks up to him!"

Dr.Gunsforhands
2022-03-24, 10:49 PM
"Ah, I see," Kaytu says. She smiles. "Well, that is exciting. We'll make sure to give Ted a warm welcome. Do you happen to know what kind of tea he likes?"

While she already has her javelin and barrel ready to go for party games, for the last few days, there has been one other festival idea brewing in Kaytu's mind. She and Naoki sometimes like to joke that Feypass is the herbalist capital of the world. Tea-making and wildflower-hunting are popular pastimes, and there are no fewer than two skilled apothecaries involved in this very conversation.

"If we were, say, to hold a town-wide tea-brewing contest, Ted would make a perfect non-biased judge, wouldn't you say?"

DigoDragon
2022-03-24, 11:13 PM
"If we were, say, to hold a town-wide tea-brewing contest, Ted would make a perfect non-biased judge, wouldn't you say?"

"Maybe he will appreciate my recipe of lavender and frog-eye tea," Ellie ponders out loud. "I swear, you don't taste frog, but everyone seems to take the name literal." She feigns a pout, and then lifts a plank to bring to the stage.

It was a rare sight to see Ellie do manual labor.

Lentrax
2022-03-24, 11:57 PM
Miyuki watches the people working as she smokes a small, thin, almost comically long pipe.

A tea competition, you say... Puffs of smoke with each word.

I may have to take a trip into the forest for some ingredients.

Another puff on the pipe.

JNAProductions
2022-03-25, 09:02 AM
"Yeah... Yeah!" Faith says. "Mom, you don't really brew, do you? I think he might be biased towards our family."

Charity shakes her head. "Not tea, at least. I spent some time in my past working with beer and ale, but not tea." Faith looks a little surprised to hear that, and Charity laughs. "I was younger in the past, you know! Besides which, alcohol is fine, just so long as you don't drink too much."

Naoki makes his way over to the little commotion, and asks "What's going on?"

"Well," Charity says, "we're slated to have a visitor for this little celebration, and Kaytu had the brilliant idea of him judging a tea-brewing competition."

He nods, and says "That sounds delicious. And this visitor, they're-"

Faith interrupts, earning a sharp look from her mother. "Ted! He's a gemcutter's apprentice... Sorry, mom, I'm just really excited. But, uh, gemcutter-in-training, and super nice, and smart, and just all-around amazing!"

DigoDragon
2022-03-25, 09:51 PM
I may have to take a trip into the forest for some ingredients.

"I don't know if I have the time to make any tea, but I would like to accompany you to collect some reagents, and practice my new act," Ellie says. She grabs another plank to stack.

Lentrax
2022-03-26, 09:56 PM
Perhaps, Miyuki says, with another puff on her pipe.

But there are places in the forest where your kind are still not welcome.

DigoDragon
2022-03-27, 09:19 AM
But there are places in the forest where your kind are still not welcome.

Ellie furls her eyebrows, pouting a little at the comment. Not that it was necessarily wrong...

"Yeesh, you accidently stumble into one fey ward and they put you on the forestry black list," she says. Ellie stacks the plank on the previous one. "I've been good all winter; haven't even been to the 'dangerous' places in the woods."

If Archimedes could talk, the owl might of added 'Because you hate hiking in the snow' to that statement.

Ellie mutters some words in draconic to magically clean the splinters from her clothing. "I'll stick to the main trails then, just to show my sincerity. It is all for the festival of course. I simply want my performance to be spectacular."

Lentrax
2022-03-27, 01:16 PM
The pixies warded against you?

Miyuki ***** her head to the side, contemplating.

The forest may be far too dangerous for you then. Bring honey and milk. We can see if we can appease at least those lesser beings.

DigoDragon
2022-03-27, 08:21 PM
Ellie rubs the back of her neck. "The fey... well let's just say our views on magical theory are not always in harmony and leave it at that. I should have some honey and milk in my house though." She is quick to move back onto the subject of tea.

"In any case, I'll accompany you on the hunt for your tea ingredients. Maybe this little endeavor will inspire something."

Dr.Gunsforhands
2022-03-27, 08:28 PM
"I'll come too," Kaytu finally adds, "assuming you don't mind sharing the woods with your competition."

She lines up the thick boards on the stage and holds them in place while a carpenter hammers them in.

Palanan
2022-03-27, 09:50 PM
Keys has been watching more than most, quiet and catwise, having no talent for carpentry and never comfortable around noise and bustle; but he is always willing to wander a trace or two in the forest, never having had any quarrel with fey.

Lentrax
2022-03-27, 09:54 PM
As I said, the forest is not a gentle or welcoming place for your kind, but I cannot stop you if you wish to go.

DigoDragon
2022-03-27, 10:25 PM
"Do not worry; the three of us together are capable of defending ourselves from whatever is in the woods today," Ellie confidently states.

She puts down the third plank and dusts herself off with a little magic to freshen up. A jaunt in the woods more suits Ellie than manual labor. She had a few magic tricks to practice.

"Now then, a quick detour to my place for that honey and milk." Ellie never head of fey-appeasing uses of honey and milk, but she figures Miyuki knows what she's talking about and any chance to learn more about the magic in the woods is time well spent!

Lentrax
2022-03-27, 10:39 PM
No, Miyuki says, pointing with her pipe. The two of you. I am of the woods. I will not interfere with what will befall you should you violate the sanctity of the trees.

Palanan
2022-03-27, 11:32 PM
Keys maintains a mild expression at Miyuki’s last phrase, but his voice is firmer than his slight frame might suggest.

“The sanctity of the woods is my life’s work,” he tells her evenly, “and the fey are not the only power in the forest. The three of us it will be.”

DigoDragon
2022-03-28, 05:59 AM
On the defensive, Ellie calculates it is best to just let the debate go at this point and accept that Miyuki knows more about the woods than she does. Defiling the sanctity of the woods was not on her to do list this morning anyway, so there's no reason to think this is a personal attack.

"Alright, so a party of four, with three of us minding not to disrespect the woods. Agreed?"

Lentrax
2022-03-28, 07:31 AM
As Keys speaks up, Miyuki chuckles as she taps out her pipe and then places it in a pouch she wears at her side.

None of you ever recall hearing the woman chuckle quite like that before, and her golden eyes gleam in the sunlight, as she stands up.

Have fun in the woods. I'll see you there.

She starts walking off toward her shrine, still chuckling to herself.

JNAProductions
2022-03-28, 11:49 AM
You leave Charity and Faith to their family business, and see about foraging for what you need. It does take a good few hours, but you're able to find pretty much everything you need, and a little more besides!

As you're heading back, you notice a larger-than-usual trap set by Pelt. It's cunningly laid, and big enough for a grown deer. Or a person. It wouldn't be hard to walk around it, though disabling it might prove a touch tricky.
Once the tasks are done, you realize that something is up. The animals aren't behaving QUITE normally-nothing that's obvious, but they're watching you. As if they're all working together, predators and prey alike, and reporting to something. Or someone.

DigoDragon
2022-03-28, 12:08 PM
Ellie juggles a conjured glass ball in one hand, but stops to take notice of the extra large trap laid out. She glances at Archimedes and then back at the trap.

"Huh. That one has got to be a record. How big a critter do you think Pelt is looking to catch?"

She walks around it, avoiding the trap with a healthy amount of caution. Yet, it has her curiosity because of its size.

Lentrax
2022-03-28, 12:30 PM
Miyuki doesn't like it. Something is wrong in the forest. In her forest. Her grove even had an odd feeling to it. She darts through the trees, a white fox, dashing from bush to bush, paws pausing only long enough to get enough grip to push off and keep bounding forward.

In fact, she was going fast enough that she would not have noticed the trap in her way if not for the fact that it appears that someone else got caught in it first. She darts behind a tree and reverts to her human form before coming around and joining the others to inspect the trap, her ears twitching as they pick up on sounds humans should be thankful they cannot hear.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2022-03-28, 07:54 PM
Not discounting Miyuki's warning, Kaytu stops to pray before crossing the tree line. "Grant us the wisdom to know when to entrust ourselves to nature's care, and when you are entrusting its care to us."

She follows behind the group, as she often does. It lets her keep an eye on everyone and make sure she doesn't lose any children. Of course, prayer or no prayer, watching a darting kitsune and thinking about tea contests makes for a distracting environment. She doesn't notice what's going on right in front of her until Ellie points it out.

"Hm? A record what?"

JNAProductions
2022-03-28, 11:46 PM
Keys is walking, not a care in the world, when the trap springs.

He's balled up into a large, barbed net, cruelly cutting into his skin, but for some reason, he doesn't yell out in pain for more than a moment. In fact, he seems to be nodding off-and a close inspection reveals the barbs have some kind of goo on them. It smells faintly of cinnamon.

Keys, since you're NOT a stout halfling, you don't get advantage on that save against the poison.

By the way, poisoned.
Also, take [roll0] piercing damage from the barbs.

DigoDragon
2022-03-29, 06:36 AM
It happened too quickly for Ellie to intervene; the trap was sprung and caught its victim. "Key!" Ellie gasps. She approaches, but stops when she sees the barbs.

"It smells like breakfast..." Ellie mutters.

She casts mage hand and studies the net to try and figure out how to release her companion.

(Is it an investigation check to work out how to release Keytu safely?): [roll0]

JNAProductions
2022-03-29, 11:42 AM
Ellie looks over the net and the trap mechanism. She's confident she can, with a little help perhaps, undo the net safely. It'll take a good couple of minutes, though.

Investigation seems reasonable enough. And with that 23, you can do it.

Good thing Keys wasn't alone!

DigoDragon
2022-03-29, 12:00 PM
Ellie looks over the net and the trap mechanism. She's confident she can, with a little help perhaps, undo the net safely. It'll take a good couple of minutes, though.

"Someone lend me a hand, I think I figured out how to get Keys out." Ellie will begin work to get her companion free.

Palanan
2022-03-29, 01:36 PM
“…mm,” Keys manages. “Drows…ish. —Pelt…maybe…not his.”

He winces fiercely at the barbs. “…Worse’n…briars.” He plucks groggily at the metal thorns biting into his skin.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2022-03-29, 04:47 PM
"Ashkey!" Kaytu gasps when Keys is entangled. Thinking quickly, she swings her bag down from her shoulder, gets into her herb kit and puts on a pair gloves meant for working with thorny plants. Part of her wants to just yank the net down all at once, but dropping Keys to the ground now would just drive in more wounds. There's nothing else to do until he's out of there safely.

She casts Resistance on herself for good measure, then sets about disentangling the net alongside Ellie's telekinesis.

Once keys is down, she casts her other spell to ascertain what it is that has him so drowsy. She doesn't trust herself to know every cinnamon-smelling toxin off the top of her head.

JNAProductions
2022-03-29, 06:43 PM
The barbs are coated in a soporific toxin. It's not deadly, at least not without a massive overdose, but the longer the victim is dealing with it, the groggier they'll get. More than a few minutes results in unconsciousness, which can last anywhere from hours to days. It's not terribly expensive, but not especially cheap either. And it's not easy to get ahold of, being illegal in most places.

DigoDragon
2022-03-29, 07:09 PM
"Stay with us, Keys," Ellie says, trying to keep the halfling's attention.

She will assist Kaytu in pulling out the barbs with her Mage Hand spell. "Once we get these barbs off 'im, we could take him to my place to patch him up. I don't know what Pelt was thinking setting this trap."

Lentrax
2022-03-29, 07:57 PM
The same thing I have. Miyuki says, watching the others work.

Something is wrong out here. The woods. They are quiet.

Palanan
2022-04-02, 11:16 AM
Once Keys is free of the last barbs, he will dozily murmur, "Anny'un else hurt?"

He slumps, bleeding from tiny cuts all over, barely able to move. "Real pity...can't cast...Find Traps...."

Dr.Gunsforhands
2022-04-02, 12:05 PM
"Homeostasis," says Kaytu as she pulls Keys to his feet. She brushes away the remaining barbs as his body heals and pushes them out of the the bleeding wounds. It's her second spell for the day. "I'm just thankful we were all here to see it. The injuries themselves are not a big deal, but the poison is serious. It will probably take days to sleep it off."

She takes Ashkey by the shoulder and half-carries him to Ellie's place.

Palanan
2022-04-02, 02:53 PM
"...'aita minnut," Keys manages as Kaytu takes his slight weight. "Trap...trap wi' us...show ev'ryun...."

He waves vaguely at the trap, or what's left of it, and makes broad, uncoordinated swings of his hand, as if gathering up the remnants to take with them.

DigoDragon
2022-04-02, 03:17 PM
"Here, let me carry that for you." Ellie will use mage had to carry the remains of the trap and bring it back. If this wasn't Pelt's doing, then there's another, less scrupulous, hunter about. "I can probably study the poison on the bards to fashion something to get the poison out of you sooner."

She will walk the group back to her cottage. She is a bit more on alert now, worried about what else could surprise the group.

Palanan
2022-04-03, 07:17 PM
"Are we there yet?" Keys mumbles through a soporific haze.

JNAProductions
2022-04-04, 10:19 AM
You are obliged to tell Keys no, because you aren't there yet. But the remaining time spent traveling back isn't too eventful-you return to Feypass unmolested.

Julia is the first one to spot you on your return. "Hello! How was..." she starts, but sees you two supporting Keys heavily. She rushes over, and asks "Everything okay? Is Keys hurt? What happened?"

Palanan
2022-04-04, 10:39 AM
"Pelt," Keys manages, "...trap. Worse'n ever."

DigoDragon
2022-04-04, 11:48 AM
Ellie gestures to the recovered remains. "Keys has the unfortunate experience of stepping on a trap laced with a poison of some sort. Keys will be alright; just need to work the poison out of his system, but we do need to find out who set the trap in the first place."

"You happen to know where Pelt is?"

JNAProductions
2022-04-04, 11:57 AM
Julia shakes her head. "No, I haven't seen him recently. Which is usually a good thing. Here, let me help support him..." she says, stooping down slightly to lend Keys her shoulder. One of her munchkins approaches, the boy, with a look of concern.

"Is everything okay, mom?" he asks.

"We're fine, sweetie, don't worry. But could you fetch some water for Mr. Keys? I'm sure he could use some," she tells him. He nods, and rushes off to the well.

You all find a good spot to set Keys down, and give him some water that Julia's kid got. You do some investigating and find from Merut that Pelt's been skulking about recently.

"He seemed to have some big idea," Merut says grumpily. "Gleam in his eye-you know the type. Some big plan that would rake in the money."

Palanan
2022-04-04, 08:27 PM
“Won’ do enny’un good,” Keys murmurs from the cot. “Get—town t’gether, show…show all ’s trap. Let’m see. Pelt—stop’m. Has’t…stop.”

DigoDragon
2022-04-04, 09:00 PM
"We're getting to that, Keys. Gotta get you better though." Ellie wrinkles her nose. She addresses her companions. "Should we split up? I can see about helping Keys purge the poison, but it will take some time regardless. Someone else of our group can talk to Pelt about this trap and see if this really is his idea."

Lentrax
2022-04-04, 10:59 PM
Something is wrong in the woods. In my woods.

Miyuki, once again in her fox form, is searching for anything that may lead her to an answer of any kind.

Nature: [roll0]
Perception: [roll1]

JNAProductions
2022-04-05, 10:22 AM
For the Keys group, not 100% sure what I should post. Lemme know in the OOC what you'd like to see.

Miyuki starts to try to find the source of the oddity. She heads deeper into the forest, moving as a fox should, but she can feel the eyes of the other animals on her. She might look like them-but for the moment, she is not one of them.

Her investigation leads her to a small ring of flowers-perfectly arranged in a circle. In the center, there is a faint shimmer, like a slight mist from rainfall. The animals of the forest come near here, stand still for a bit, and then wander off, seemingly content.

Lentrax
2022-04-05, 10:33 AM
What is this?

Miyuki edges closer to the ring, but she doesn't touch it.

JNAProductions
2022-04-05, 11:05 AM
The sheen in the air smells... Interesting. Vibrant. Tempting, even. And it glitters with such beautiful colors...

As you edge closer, give me a Wisdom Save at DC 11. With advantage, since you're not entering the ring.

On a failure, enter it and go through the shimmer in the air.

DigoDragon
2022-04-05, 12:06 PM
Ellie goes to her kitchen and shifts things around to locate some herbs and reagents. She grabs a few jars and boils some water in a pot, then crushes a few roots with a pestile and mortar. One examination of a barb later, she grabs some leaves and boils them with something else that smells repugnant.

In about half an hour, Ellie has brewed up what is probably the most unpleasant tea this side of the village. She returns to Keys with a warm cup of this liquid.

" Alright, Keys. This'll taste like a raw potato in dirt, but you should feel better in about an hour's time with some rest. Hold your nose if you gotta."

Ellie will help hold Keys upright to drink the antitoxin.

Palanan
2022-04-05, 02:36 PM
Keys gulps it without hesitation...or tries to, bleary and uncoordinated, ends up slupping some of it down his blood-speckled tunic, but gets the most of it down.

JNAProductions
2022-04-05, 03:01 PM
It tastes about as pleasant as it was described, but Keys can feel it working immediately. It burns a bit, and he's still groggy, but he can already feel his senses sharpening a little.

DigoDragon
2022-04-05, 04:13 PM
"This is, incidentally, why I don't enter tea competitions anymore," Ellie comments with a coy smile.

She steps to a window and opens it up to get fresh air into the room. Ellie scratches under Archimedes' chin thoughtfully and sits down, allowing her owl familiar to perch wherever to nap. "Hmm, what could Pelt be hunting to devise such a trap? It's not his usual work, right? Hmm, I don't know him as well as others would, but wonder what is in the woods this spring to warrent a trap with poison?"

She watches over Keys a bit, just to be sure he's recovering, but she does perform some gestures in the air. In her mind, the thought of the odd trap has to share space with the ideas for a new stage act.

JNAProductions
2022-04-05, 05:31 PM
An hour or so passes, with Keys sleeping off the toxin for a brief nap. When he awakens fully, he's as sharp as ever, the antitoxin having done its good work.

Palanan
2022-04-05, 05:32 PM
“Nothing justifies a trap like that,” Keys says weakly. “Gods, but you weren’t inside of it.

“—Thanks for the concoction,” he adds after a moment. “But we’re not done today. We have to go back out and make sure there aren’t any others still out there.”

This was meant to be Keys' response to Ellie's last lines of dialogue.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2022-04-05, 05:51 PM
"Agreed," says Kaytu, who has pretty much been quietly praying and monitoring Keys' condition this whole time. "Something about this is off. An expensive live trap, laid right on the path, and not even baited? I suspect that it caught exactly what it was trying to catch." She stands up and helps pick up the tea tray. "Also, has anyone seen Miyuki? She never turned up to meet us, and now I'm worried."

DigoDragon
2022-04-05, 08:42 PM
Ellie gets up and grabs her staff. Well, more she snaps her fingers and the staff tilts away from the wall and falls into her grasp. Archimedes flaps over to her shoulder and perches, stretching his wings.

"Hmm, Miyuki was with us when we found the trap, right?" Ellie asks in response to Kaytu. "She could be searching for more traps, or the owner. In any case, let us jaunt back into the woods and see if our trapper has returned to the scene. We might cross paths with Miyuki there."

Lentrax
2022-04-06, 02:58 PM
What is this?

Miyuki reverts back to her Humanoid form, and walks around the circle again. This time, though, she will call out.

Hello? Is there anyone here?

JNAProductions
2022-04-06, 05:53 PM
I am here! comes a jaunty thought. Though you are not. You are there.

Lentrax
2022-04-06, 05:57 PM
And yet, I am here, you there, and what lays between us neither here nor there. Who are you?

JNAProductions
2022-04-06, 05:59 PM
I am he that is known as Oko, comes the thoughts again. Won't you join me? There is food, and drink, and revelry!

Dr.Gunsforhands
2022-04-06, 07:05 PM
Kaytu nods to Ellie and moves to retrieve her stuff. "Thank you again for everything, Julia. You too, little one," she pats Julia's kid on the head. "Make sure no one else goes looking for us alone, alright?"

Leaving that responsibility in the young family's hands, she heads outside and readies her shield and throwing spear. If Ellie questions whether they're necessary, Kaytu will say she hopes they aren't, but that she has a bad feeling. Ellie probably won't question it, though. The bad feeling is likely contagious.

Palanan
2022-04-06, 08:17 PM
“I’m coming too,” says Keys, and there is an unaccustomed set to his slight features.

He is moving a touch slowly as he pushes himself up from the cot, but his pace is taut as he steps out into the lane. “Don’t leave without me—I’ll be back in a moment.”

Keys makes rapid work of the walk to his modest yllatyn, the small domelike hut favored by halflings where he keeps a cot, a few books, spare robes and a scatter of other items. He trades his torn and blood-speckled day-robe for a soft grey tunic, the hue of low clouds portending rain, and snatches up his crossbow as he leaves. He’s back with the others in scant minutes.

Lentrax
2022-04-06, 08:24 PM
I am he that is known as Oko, comes the thoughts again. Won't you join me? There is food, and drink, and revelry!

I would be glad to sup with you, but only if you show yourself first. I do not eat with those I do not know.

DigoDragon
2022-04-06, 09:59 PM
If Ellie questions whether they're necessary, Kaytu will say she hopes they aren't, but that she has a bad feeling. Ellie probably won't question it, though. The bad feeling is likely contagious.

Ellie shrugs; understanding, and perhaps sharing, the bad feeling that Kaytu has. "Well, I'll just get behind you and that shield then."

He trades his torn and blood-speckled day-robe for a soft grey tunic, the hue of low clouds portending rain, and snatches up his crossbow as he leaves. He’s back with the others in scant minutes.

Ellie does wait up, looking over the crossbow, then back to the spear. "I have a sleep spell that might be useful should things get violent. Or if one of the larger woodland denizens decides we're unwanted."

JNAProductions
2022-04-07, 09:56 AM
The group of three, ready to head back out, leave. Where are they going?

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/mtgsalvation_gamepedia/images/c/c7/Oko1.png

A man's upper torso pops out of the shimmer. "Good enough?" he asks. "Now come, please!"

DigoDragon
2022-04-07, 10:55 AM
The group of three, ready to head back out, leave. Where are they going?

Ellie will lead the way back to the scene of the 'crime'; where they found the trap. As treating Keys took precedence at the time, the group didn't linger long enough to search around the area for clues.

Therefore, Ellie will return there and take a look around to see if perhaps whoever set this trap left some trace of a clue as to the intended victim, or if other traps might be set up nearby.
Investigation [roll0]

She then has her owl Archimedes fly up to a higher perch and sees through his eyes. She looks around, but seems like she isn't spotting anything unusual in the area.

Palanan
2022-04-07, 11:17 AM
Since Keys had an extremely close-up look at the trap, he’s looking carefully for tendrils that aren’t tendrils, and thorns that aren’t thorns.

He’s also trying to catch any hint of the telltale scent of the toxin.

Perception
[roll0]

JNAProductions
2022-04-07, 12:10 PM
Ellie and her familiar notice very little new. Nothing, in fact.

Keys, though, gets his first proper look at it-now that he's no longer addled by the drugs, he sees how vicious it really is. Some of his lingering injuries twinge slightly just looking at the barbs.

The toxin is still present-it's in a gel state, designed to last for a while.

Palanan
2022-04-07, 12:13 PM
"Over here," Keys calls softly, his eyes tracing the cruel contours of the thing. "Gods, this is awful."

Keys continues inspecting the trap, looking both for a way to disable it and something, anything that might tie the trap to Pelt. He's also looking carefully all around the trap, searching for heavy man-boot prints—or worse, the paw-prints of a large dog.

Perception
[roll0]

JNAProductions
2022-04-07, 12:16 PM
Gonna use that first Perception check, since you're just clarifying what's being searched for.

Pelt's not dumb. There's no signature or anything like that on the trap, but at least it only works once. You might want to clean the poison off (carefully!) but the trap isn't going to be catching anyone else.

You do manage to find some faint tracks-maybe a day or two old.

Survival is for tracking. Whoever has the best mod can roll with Advantage via Help from someone else.

DigoDragon
2022-04-07, 12:26 PM
"Awful is one word to describe it, yes," Ellie says to her companions. She watches Keys for a bit, then turns to view the forest around them.

Palanan
2022-04-07, 12:40 PM
I appreciate your letting me use that first roll for Perception. :smallsmile:

Several of us seem to have the same mod for Survival, so I’ll go ahead and roll for Keys.

Keys cautiously leans low to the faint tracks, searching for any trace of where they might lead.

Survival
[roll0]
[roll1]

Dr.Gunsforhands
2022-04-07, 12:45 PM
"The same as the first one. Pelt, what have you gotten yourself into..." Kaytu looks over the trap and helps disable it. The synthetic poison isn't good for the environment, but it should decompose in time.

When the tracks are pointed out, Kaytu offers quick prayers for guidance and protection before following them deeper into the woods. "...and may young Ashkey be protected from further harm," you hear her add.

Cantrip + Survival! [roll0]+[roll1]+5

Casting Resistance on Keys as well, because why not.

Lentrax
2022-04-07, 12:55 PM
Miyuki thinks for a moment. Then she speaks.

Under the laws of hospitality, I will bring no harm to you and your home, and when I leave, all will be as it was when I arrive.

JNAProductions
2022-04-07, 01:05 PM
The tracks aren't easy to follow-Pelt is a competent hunter. Luckily for you three, Keys is a competent tracker! Kaytu lends a bit of assistance with her magic, and Keys starts to track the path.

It leads, for a time, onto a normal game trail. You move past where it exits the trail, but catch yourselves, and double back, losing only about a minute of travel. Pelt exited at an odd spot, with not much else going on there. But you follow it, and find near the end a ring of blood-red flowers. In the center, a faint shimmer, tinged pink.

"I can promise you return as you were, but no man can stop the world from acting!" Oko replies. "Choose your words more carefully, my foxy friend. But, even with that... Should you stay true to your word, I will ensure your return unharmed to this pleasant little clearing."

He twists a little, reaching back into the shimmer, and pulls out a slice of honeyed bread. "Now, come! Take part in the festivities!" he says, then tears a chunk of the bread with his teeth and swallows it down.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2022-04-07, 01:32 PM
Kaytu raises her shield instinctively. "The tracks lead to here... What are we to do..." She closes her eyes briefly to cast another cantrip and turns to Ellie meaningfully. "What is it? Any idea?"

Using guidance to add 1d4 to Ellie's next knowledge check, since this is feels like an arcana thing.

DigoDragon
2022-04-07, 01:38 PM
Ellie strokes her chin, fascinated by this scene before her. "Well, this... this is an unexpected curiosity," she replies to Kaytu.

She studies it a bit, walking around the parameter. Her mind flips through old notes to compare this shimmer with lore she's studied from her books.

[roll0] (+5 if Arcana, or +3 if Nature is more appropriate, and +2 from Kaytu's spell).

Lentrax
2022-04-07, 01:47 PM
I may be wordpoor. Miyuki says, stepping forward, her form shimmering into her True Form. But I am quite rich in a few tea blends at the moment. I even have the ingredients required for a decent Deathlight tea.

Palanan
2022-04-07, 01:48 PM
Meanwhile, Keys will be examining the flowers. His nerves have already been strained and worn by the day, and he is exceptionally cautious, looking at them from various angles while keeping well away.

Nature
[roll0]

JNAProductions
2022-04-07, 03:15 PM
It's a portal, that much you can tell. Where it might lead, you can guess, but whether or not there'd be a way back... No clue. And whether or not it'd be harmful to step through, also no clue.

Oko welcomes you in.

On the other side is a large, round table. Bunnies sit at the base, munching on leaves, while elk prance around the outer edges of the fey-clearing. A few other humanoids are seated at the table-two women and one other man, besides Oko. One woman is similar in appearance to Oko-not quite as chiseled, but clearly not normal. The other two people seem ordinary enough. They're all waiting expectantly for Oko's return.

"We have a new guest!" he says, to a small round of applause. "And she has brought what she needs for tea. Eldee, if you could prepare some hot water for her?" Oko asks the other unnaturally beautiful individual. Eldee nods, and heads for a well, where she casts her hands out. A small stream of water pours up the side, and into a bucket.

She takes the bucket to the fire lighting the area-far from the only source of light, but the biggest one-and pours it into the cauldron on top. "I look forward to sampling your recipe, my dear."

Dr.Gunsforhands
2022-04-07, 05:31 PM
"These aren't normal wildflowers," Kaytu observes for her part. She bends down to examine them with her herbalists' gloves, careful not to step across them lest she fall into the portal they're marking. "Their roots are too shallow for this forest. Someone had to fertilize them, probably with blood or animal fat..." She thinks of a couple of cults and rituals that could be related, but they're all from old rumors or pure speculation. She shakes her head and stands up. "I... don't want to jump to conclusions. Suffice it to say they didn't grow here naturally, and whoever planted them is probably up to no good. I'd say that's evidence enough to break the circle and close this thing, but..."

Kaytu stares at the shimmering cloud in the center of the circle.

"...our friends are trapped on the other side of it, right?"

DigoDragon
2022-04-07, 05:43 PM
"This is definitely a portal to elsewhere," Ellie concludes. "Though exactly elsewhere and if it's two way... that I cannot ascertain from here. I would like to think Pelt has enough sense not to walk into this portal blindly... unless he got pulled in against his will... hmm..."

Curiosity gives Ellie the idea to pick up a small rock and gently underhand toss it across the circle and into the portal to see what happens.

JNAProductions
2022-04-07, 06:40 PM
Imma assume you mean rock.

The rock sails through the portal, and lands on the other side, exactly as if passing through air.

Palanan
2022-04-07, 08:53 PM
“If something’s taken Pelt,” says Keys, “they can have him.

“—But what if something is here, and Pelt is trying to catch it?” Keys’ tone is unexpectedly bitter, and his meaning is plain: that Pelt may be trying to make himself out as a hero, by catching some “dangerous” creature from otherwhere.

And that…could have other repercussions, beyond the puffed pride of one backwoods hunter.

Lentrax
2022-04-07, 09:11 PM
The fox-like woman looks around her. She smiles as well as she is able in this form, which is still pretty well, if she says so herself.

Miyuki finds what she is looking for, the small infuser for brewing tea. She opens it and begins going through her ingredients. She decides on brewing the Deathlight, a tea brewed from a plant that was poorly named, as many flowers are, by unfortunate circumstance. Once the water is ready, not quite to a boil, she hangs the infuser from the handle of the teapot as she pours water over the infuser, which allows the water to fully soak every part of the tea blends.

She then finds the cups, and sets them ready upon a tray, assembling them just so as the tea steeps.

Finally, she seems the tea ready, and offers everyone a cup in turn, if they accept, she pours carefully, each pour an art to itself.

Because all is art. Everything in life. And because life is art, one is obliged to add beauty to every moment they can.

She pours for herself last, setting the tea on a warm rock to keep the pot from cooling without heating it more than it needs.

Settled and seated at last, she turns to her host.

Thank you for your hospitality.

JNAProductions
2022-04-07, 09:20 PM
You can feel the ring of red flowers pressing in on your mind. It would be wise to step back and discuss somewhere else.

Your hosts welcome the glasses, though they don't drink till everything is poured. Once everyone is situated, they sip the tea, and their faces break into a wide smile. "Delicious!" the ordinary man says. "What ingredients did you use?"

Oko nods in agreement, but says "Let her keep her recipes to herself-it will give a good reason to have her come back. Now, my friend," he continues, face turning a touch serious. "Your friends-they are your friends, yes?-seemed to be in a bit of trouble. My small friends told me that they managed to escape, but the slaver is still at large, and I doubt he'll be stopping soon."

DigoDragon
2022-04-07, 09:28 PM
Ellie looks disappointed that the rock sailed right through like the portal weren't there.

"Well, guess it only opens for something living going through?" She ponders this turn, but her carriage of thought veers off the trail with Key's comments about Pelt.

She looks down at the flowers, then moves to step away from the ring. As much as it pains her, this could be a portal that brought forth something dangerous from another plane. Ellie waves her companions to follower her back a bit.

"Okay, we have a ring of creepy flowers and a portal to elsewhere with an unknown destination. As much as I'd love to study this, and maybe collect a flower or two, I have to admit we probably should close this." She glances at the forest. "Of course, we don't know if something is on this side that shouldn't be. Hopefully thanks to Pelt it isn't hungry right now. I could try burning the flowers with a spell. Thoughts?"

Lentrax
2022-04-07, 10:07 PM
Friends is an adequate enough term, I suppose.

Miyuki sips at her tea.

Trouble with the trapper? Or trouble is the trapper? I have felt something... off... in the forest. Even in my glade, things are wrong, somehow. But I could not say why that is.

JNAProductions
2022-04-07, 10:12 PM
"Morgana's influence," Oko tells you. "She's a bloodthirsty fey, and don't let her appearance tell you otherwise. She enjoys her pets..."

Oko seems more than a little disturbed by Morgana, his face radiating disgust. "Don't get mixed up with her. I may be dangerous, but I am not cruel-I cannot say the same for her."

Lentrax
2022-04-07, 10:22 PM
Hmm...

Miyuki sips at her tea.

The woods are becoming interesting. Morgana's influence. It extends to the trapper? Can we diminish it somehow? Or separate him from her somehow?

JNAProductions
2022-04-07, 10:27 PM
"Sure, try it," Oko says, and takes a long drink. "But he'd have to want to go. Beyond that, I don't think he's been coerced. He's her partner on the material realm, extending her influence beyond her demesne. And she provides him with unearthly powers, among other, less sanitary things."

One of the elks prancing about moves over to you, and sniffs at your hair.

Lentrax
2022-04-07, 10:36 PM
Miyuki hates herself for the thoughts running through her head. But Morgana sounds like something she could not handle. Not herself. And perhaps not even with the others in the village.

The only solution she can think of is that they will have to kill Pelt.

Miyuki sighs. Not at the elk. She is majestic. She holds a hand up, seeing if the elk will let her run a hand along her fur.

JNAProductions
2022-04-07, 10:41 PM
The elk, graciously, lets you do so.

Her fur is soft and silky. Very pleasant to the touch.

Lentrax
2022-04-07, 10:47 PM
She runs her hands through the fur for a moment, enjoying her return to nature. But soon Miyuki stands and then bows to Oko.

My thanks for the opportunity to meet you. I wish I had the luxury of time. But, the mortals I live among do not. And I am rather fond of them, so I must get to them before they do something rash.

She bows again.

Please, enjoy the remainder of the tea. The Deathlight should not grow bitter until the tea grows cold. I should wish to return for a longer and more proper visit, if it is amenable.

Palanan
2022-04-08, 07:39 AM
“These flowers feed on mortal blood,” Keys says slowly, “…but I wouldn’t use magic against them. No telling what might happen.

“We should dig them up, at least a few, to break the circle. After that—the other trap is still out there, and my heart aches that some other creature might be taken.

“So,” Keys continues, “we should spring the trap from a distance, make some noise and thrashing, and then find cover and see who comes to collect their catch.”

JNAProductions
2022-04-08, 10:41 AM
Oko smiles, nods, and opens his arms for a hug. "Visit whenever you like! Though do ask before entering-I wish to see you in and out safely, and if I'm not here, I cannot assure that. Good luck, young fox."

As you touch the flowers, if you touch the flowers, gimme a Constitution Save. DC 13.

On a failure, the roots wind into your flesh, dealing [roll0] damage, and becoming attached.
On a success, take one damage, but avoid the implantation.

DigoDragon
2022-04-08, 11:07 AM
"No fire..." Ellie looks disappointed that she doesn't get to use her party trick, but it is a good point. No telling if fire might create worse problems.

She stands back from the flowers about twenty five feet and attempts to pull one up with her Mage Hand spell. If it works, she'll have it dropped away from the meaty circle of red, on plain dirt ground, where it could be trampled or disposed of in a very non-flammable way.

JNAProductions
2022-04-08, 11:18 AM
The flower takes some doing, and won't budge simply from the stem.

Going to pull at the roots, though, seems to have a better shot. As the first root comes out, the flower screams. A bloodcurdling wail that can be heard for quite a distance around.

DigoDragon
2022-04-08, 11:44 AM
"Fire now?!" Ellie asks her companions, startled by the screaming succulent.

Lentrax
2022-04-08, 12:25 PM
Thank you, she says, embracing the man.

For though the time was short, it was helpful. Thank you.

And with that, she waves good bye, steps through the portal and starts heading through the forest, on her way toward the village.

JNAProductions
2022-04-08, 12:26 PM
Miyuki sees the animals behaving more normally as she makes her way back.

Once she reaches Feypass, she sees Julia, who's face lights up. "You're okay! Miyuki, you're alright! Ellie, Keys, and Kaytu went looking for you-they thought you were in trouble."

Dr.Gunsforhands
2022-04-08, 01:08 PM
"No! Put it back!" shouts Kaytu. "Their roots might be spiritually entangled with someone else. If that's true, we need to break the connection another way first. Probably." She sighs. Of course that's all just a guess.

Lentrax
2022-04-08, 01:08 PM
They what!?!

Her ears perk up as she feels the stirrings of fear in her gut. She turns to make back for the wood.

Go back! Tell everyone I said to stay out of the woods until I return!

She rushes back into the trees, searching for a sign of the others.

[roll0]

JNAProductions
2022-04-08, 01:11 PM
The Mage Hand putting the root back does not soothe the flower. It continues to scream, its plucked root questing about for something near it.

Julia looks ready to question you, but sees how serious you are. "Yes-okay. I'll make sure everyone stays safe. But that includes you-no getting hurt, okay?"

When you start to look for tracks, you're able to find them pretty easily-the other three weren't moving stealthily. So, you start to follow them.

Lentrax
2022-04-08, 01:20 PM
Finding the tracks, Miyuki shifts again, back into her small fox form.

She isn’t sure it’s faster then being a long legged human, but it feels faster. She can dart under low hanging branches she would otherwise have had to go around. She runs on, following the trail.

Palanan
2022-04-08, 01:36 PM
Deeply unsettled though he is by the screaming flower, Keys caught a hint of fading in the shimmer.

"The flowers are keeping the shimmer alive," he tells the others. "They may scream, but if we pull them all out, we might end—whatever that is."

From his tone it's clear that Keys is uncertain about the shimmer itself, but the unnatural vampirism of the flowers has him entirely set against them.

DigoDragon
2022-04-08, 01:44 PM
The scream is more than what Ellie has patience for. Since putting back the flower did not stop the wailing, and that the flowers are tied to the shimming portal, she escalates to a plan B before the owner takes notice and comes out.

"Right, shutting it up now!"

Ellie casts a Firebolt spell. The flame flickers in her hand and she takes aim to hit just the screaming plant. She then lobs it right at the offensive orchid.

"Silence!"

Ranged spell attack: [roll0]

Fire damage: [roll1]

JNAProductions
2022-04-08, 01:58 PM
Vulnerability, doubles it to TWO DAMAGE!

But you know, is flower. Not many HP.

Do note-there's a lot of flowers. More than can be reasonably immolated in a short time.

The flower goes up in smoke. The screaming stops.

But the barking starts-coming from the other side, and growing louder.

Palanan
2022-04-08, 02:17 PM
"Right, then," says Keys, unslinging his crossbow. "Burn as many as you can."

He yanks the string, notches a bolt, and settles himself on one knee, prepared to fire the instant he sees Pelt's hated dog.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2022-04-08, 03:22 PM
Reassessing the situation, Kaytu nods in agreement as though giving Ellie permission to burn evil flowers.

"Alright, come here, boy..." She then gets her shield ready raises a hand toward the magical contraption, waiting for the right moment...

...and in the same instant that the dog appears and Keys fires his bolt, she casts Thorn Whip to pull the dog over the flowerbed without getting him caught on their bloodsucking roots.

Kaytu's never been as good with animals as she was with plants.

JNAProductions
2022-04-08, 04:02 PM
As the flowers are attacked, they scream before burning.

And then, all of a sudden, Pelt's dog-bigger than before, easily five feet at the shoulder-bursts through, followed by Pelt close behind.

The bolt clips the dog, sending a spurt of blood out-dark red blood, darker than it should be. But the plant whip is aimed a little astray, and barely clips his tail, causing no real harm.

Pelt and the pup are not surprised. Ellie, you're up, then it'll be their turn.

-7 HP on the dog.

Palanan
2022-04-08, 05:47 PM
The halfling's eyes widen as the massive hound thunders down on him. In that instant, he can only hope that Ellie has something to deflect the beast.

DigoDragon
2022-04-08, 06:04 PM
Ellie will not hesitate to burn the flowers when her companions give the word, but now that Pelt and his.... oh, that is a very large dog!

"Pelt? What did you..." Ellie stops talking as clearly the dog looks hostile to her and she better do something against it quickly. She draws from the weave and forms a spell in her hands. Grabbing a quick pinch from a pocket, she adds it together and unleashes a spell of sleep at Pelt and the dog. Maybe she can take out one to make this encounter manageable. Either way, Ellie then backs away her full move from the dog.

Ellie will cast Sleep.
Yes, it's a gamble, but I won't know unless I try. :smallredface:

She will put the origin point between Pelt and his dog to catch them both, but she'll push it farther if she needs to so as not to catch her own companions.

Hit points affected: [roll0]

JNAProductions
2022-04-08, 06:09 PM
The spell goes off...

To no effect. Pelt grins. "Watch yourself, boy!" he tells his dog, who guards himself before lunging out to bite Keys.

[roll0] Attack
[roll1] Piercing Damage

Then, a grapple attempt on Keys, if he's still up, or Kaytu, if not.

[roll2] Dog Grapple, vs. [roll3] Athletics (Kaytu) or Acrobatics (Keys)

Keys, you've got at least Leather, right? Imma assume you do.

Keys' leather armor keeps him safe, but the dog's teeth latch on, and he's firmly in his grip.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2022-04-08, 07:45 PM
"Call him off, Pelt!" Kaytu shouts once the dog's owner shows up. She draws her javelin to poke it and drive it away from Keys. "No! Bad dog!"

Where this new dire hound came from, what Pelt is doing here in the first place and how the heck he got an evil portal are all questions Kaytu can ask when the dog is not throwing people around.

DigoDragon
2022-04-09, 12:57 AM
Ellie 's eyebrows rise with worry when her spell fails to instill slumber on Pelt. "Oh great..." she mutters under her breath. Ellie reaches for the crossbow she has on a sling behind her and loads a bolt into it, raising the weapon at the huge dog. She admonished herself for not practicing in recent weeks. Magic was easy. Operating a complex weapon that could put a bolt through a man? Scary.

She gulps down her saliva and pulls the trigger.

Ellie will shoot her crossbow at the dog.

Attack roll: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

JNAProductions
2022-04-09, 10:22 AM
The bolt nearly penetrates, but a last minute dodge stops it from hitting home.

Kaytu is up next.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2022-04-09, 07:10 PM
"I said let go!"

The first few pokes of Kaytu's pointed stick do nothing to dissuade the unnatural beast, so she finally resorts to an actual attack like everyone else. Whatever pelt has done to his poor thing, it looks like we'll have to put it down.

Stabby stab! [roll0]

Palanan
2022-04-09, 10:49 PM
Keys is casting Sacred Flame on the hound.

Lentrax
2022-04-10, 11:32 PM
What are they doing! The fools! The idiots! I even warned them about mucking about with the fairies this morning!

Run, run, run. The fox continues running through the woods toward the sound of battle. As she rushes out into the clearing, the others are surprised to see a small white fox dart out of the trees, leap through the air, and land facing toward Pelt.

Pelt! I am Miyuki of the Sakura! I demand parley with your mistress, Morgana of the Fey!

Of course, if I do not have time for this, I will change my actions. But I think I would try it first.

Anyway, a roll! [roll0]

JNAProductions
2022-04-11, 09:31 AM
Pelt's hand snakes out, and grabs the ill-fitting collar on his dog. "Down, boy!" he tells him. "Spit it out!"

The dog reluctantly lets go, and sulks to his master's side.

You ask for parley... But your friends have caused a significant disturbance. How will you make amends, Miyuki of the Sakura? a sinister thought comes from the red shimmer. It's still there, but clearly weakened from the destruction of some of the flowers.

Lentrax
2022-04-11, 09:39 AM
That is why I ask for parley. Miyuki replies.

We need to discuss what has happened, and also what your pet has been doing. You yourself know how stupid and impulsive mortals are. There has been wrong on both sides. I promise nothing to you now. But let us all come and speak.

Palanan
2022-04-11, 02:39 PM
Gasping for air and quietly trembling with rage, Keys scrabbles onto one knee from where the hound’s jaws had dropped him, an instant from casting another spell.

DigoDragon
2022-04-11, 03:35 PM
A 'disturbance' pales in comparison to setting shady poison traps, screaming blood-sucking flowers, and an attack hound blessed by questionable fey magic who came at us first, but fine. Talking this out might go better than fighting off the dog.

Ellie held onto her crossbow, but she did lower it for now to show that she was willing to try the parley approach. She remained silent, but was more alert to her surroundings; worried that something else might up that shouldn't.

It's been a pretty eventful day, truth be told.

Palanan
2022-04-11, 04:31 PM
“He set that thing on us,” Keys bites out, “without even knowing who we were. He was happy for that thing to kill us. It almost killed me.” His voice is trembling with anger. “We have nothing to make amends for. Any ‘disturbance’ started with whatever’s through those flowers.”

Lentrax
2022-04-11, 04:51 PM
Silence, mortal! the fox yells.

You were warned about meddling this very morning. Do not violate the parley until it is time, or it is ended. You have done quite enough already!

Just a quick reminder that you have never seen Miyuki in her Fox or True Forms. So right now, there is a small white fox you have never seen before yelling at you.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2022-04-11, 06:18 PM
Kaytu helps Keys to his feet. "Deep breaths, Ashkey. Are you alright?" She looks over his wounds. They're not good, but she's at least satisfied that he's not immediately bleeding out. "It didn't kill you. That's what matters."

Having attended her immediate duty as a healer, she turns her attention to the mystery fox who happens to share a name with the strange local miko who is always hanging out by the river and in the woods. Kaytu fails to make the connection, mostly out of an unconscious desire to be polite.

She bows deeply to the creature, trying to show it the respect it seems to expect. "We apologize, spirit. We were concerned about a friend of ours that had gone missing, and in our worry we acted rashly. Am I to take it as read that Mr. Pelt is no longer mortal?"

Palanan
2022-04-11, 08:45 PM
Keys is keeping close to his two friends, darting his gaze between Pelt and the hound to one side and this bossy unnatural fox to the other, trying to work out what the fox could be.

Knowledge(arcana)
[roll0]
[roll1]

He can't fathom what it is—only that it's out of his experience in this forest, just unkindly called him a "mortal," and is probably fey and therefore dangerous, if not allied with Pelt and whatever planted these bloodsucking flowers.

Keys is a heartbeat away from casting a spell. "I've got the fox," he whispers to Ellie, "you get that hound."

Lentrax
2022-04-11, 09:03 PM
Miyuki turns to Kaytu.

I did not go missing. These woods are my home. As I told you this morning.

The body turns and then there is a shifting to the air, and when it clears, Miyuki is in her human form. The only difference to her normal (to them) appearance is the large white tail that is still standing up at alert.

I told you. I am of these woods. And I also warned you not to meddle with the things in here. You ran afoul of pixies before. But to defy Morgana?

She sighs, and her ears wilt.

I only hope that I can get you out of these woods alive.

DigoDragon
2022-04-11, 10:17 PM
Keys is a heartbeat away from casting a spell. "I've got the fox," he whispers to Ellie, "you get that hound."

Ellie bites her lip, sizing up the hound. "Not yet. Pelt's got strong magic backing him up," she whispers back. "Let's see where the parley gets us first."

I told you. I am of these woods. And I also warned you not to meddle with the things in here. You ran afoul of pixies before. But to defy Morgana?

"We were in the woods searching for tea leaves, and instead found a barbed trap laced with a serious poison," Ellie explains. "We're not going to idle by while someone uses dirty traps to disrespect these woods."

Ellie scowls in Pelt's direction.

Lentrax
2022-04-11, 10:48 PM
And how does that lead to you attacking Morgana? And before you answer. Think. Because she can hear everything we are saying. And after you think. Don't say anything. We still don't know if Moraga will parley. This may still end up terribly. And you should prepare for that.

Palanan
2022-04-11, 11:39 PM
“You weren’t the one in that trap,” Keys snaps; “—I was. And it wasn’t the only one.

"And if you know so much about all this, why didn’t you know about the traps? Or the flowers?”

Lentrax
2022-04-11, 11:56 PM
Miyuki bares her sharp fox teeth in a scowl, but says nothing.

Instead she turns back to what is left of the circle.

Morgana! Do we parley?

Palanan
2022-04-12, 07:15 AM
Keys waits tensely, ready to light up the hound the instant it moves his way.

JNAProductions
2022-04-12, 11:53 AM
Pelt... What do you think? the thought comes.

"They're desperate. They're doing this because they know they're screwed," he replies. "I say no."

Out comes a laugh-not a nice one. A harsh, grating laugh, like the snapping of a branch. And that, my vicious man, is why you have so much yet to learn. Stand down.

Pelt seems ready to disobey... But thinks better of it. He languishes back a little. "Fine-the mistress says to stand down, we'll stand down."

Invite them in.

He nods. "On behalf of Mistress Morgana, I invite you to her home. Follow me," he says, and steps through the shimmer.

Palanan
2022-04-12, 11:57 AM
"What possible reason," Keys murmurs to Ellie and Kaytu, "would we have to go through that thing?"

Dr.Gunsforhands
2022-04-12, 12:28 PM
Kaytu doesn't really get a chance to say anything else during the conversation up to this point. Her eyes widen at the prospect of Morgana being involved, but doesn't have the confidence to put her foot down as Miyuki and Ellie do.

"We are going because we were invited," she patiently tells Keys. "Miyuki, I'm glad that you're alright. Both of you," she says indicating the fox girl and the wizard, "stop fighting. We're guests."

Lentrax
2022-04-12, 12:29 PM
We will be allowed to return?

Dr.Gunsforhands
2022-04-12, 12:31 PM
We will be allowed to return?

"Does it matter?"

Lentrax
2022-04-12, 12:47 PM
Morgana, Pelt. A moment.

Assuming she is given the chance, she takes everyone aside and speaks low.

We are dealing with the Fey. We need everything spoken aloud, more or less as we want it. But we can’t demand it, or we risk angering her more than you already have. At this point, our options are to talk to her, to run, or to die. And both of the last two options end the same.

Now. Can we be a little polite and talk to the angry Fey noble?

Dr.Gunsforhands
2022-04-12, 01:42 PM
"Did I say something wrong? I didn't mean to be impolite," says Kaytu. She thinks of herself as being on Miyuki's side here, but it would be a lie to call Kaytu an expert on fey etiquette.

Lentrax
2022-04-12, 01:49 PM
My point, Miyuki says, still speaking low.

Is that everything we say will be used as a promise for our behavior, and even for servitude. So think before you speak, and only speak what you need to.

She holds a finger up to emphasize her next point.

And do not go into her domain without a promise of being able to return. Or you may not.

JNAProductions
2022-04-12, 01:52 PM
You have my word you will be able to leave alive, the thought says. But only if you enter soon. The longer you try my patience... The less I can promise.

Lentrax
2022-04-12, 01:56 PM
Myuki turns and bows to the ring. Very well. Then with the promise, and by the laws of hospitality, I promise to abide as a guest should.

She steps forward and turns back, gesturing at the others. Let's not test anyone just yet, shall we?

Dr.Gunsforhands
2022-04-12, 01:58 PM
Kaytu bows and enters behind her.

Palanan
2022-04-12, 02:14 PM
“Spiders invite butterflies into the web,” Keys reminds Kaytu and Ellie. “And butterflies are still alive when they’re wrapped in silk for later.”

He watches Kaytu walk through the shimmer with resigned disbelief. Keys sees no reason to follow her into what is unquestionably another deadly trap.

DigoDragon
2022-04-12, 03:48 PM
"What possible reason," Keys murmurs to Ellie and Kaytu, "would we have to go through that thing?"

"To turn down an invitation by a powerful fae?" Ellie whispers back. "I might as well hang up my books for good."

"Miyuki, I'm glad that you're alright. Both of you,"[/COLOR] she says indicating the fox girl and the wizard, "stop fighting. We're guests."

Ellie slowly unlatches her crossbow and takes the bolt out. She puts the weapon away, and with a quick display of fast fingers, the bolt vanished from her hand in a parlor trick.

Now. Can we be a little polite and talk to the angry Fey noble?

Ellie curtseys, bowing her head to show that somewhere under her roughhousing personality, she knows a little bit of manners. Somehow.

“Spiders invite butterflies into the web,” Keys reminds Kaytu and Ellie. “And butterflies are still alive when they’re wrapped in silk for later.”

"Flies are where men are most vulnerable," Ellie comments. "Your faith is your greatest armor. Come! Let us not keep our host waiting."

Ellie strides into the portal, curiosity of the possible knowledge within pushing her to see the other side.

JNAProductions
2022-04-12, 04:09 PM
On the other side, it's dark. The area is only faintly lit by a dim red light. The light comes from pulsating nodes on the trees and plants about-what exactly they're filled with, you think you might be better not knowing.

Morgana-you'd assume, at least-is seated on something that can only be adequately described as a throne. Its made of a sturdy white rock. At least, you hope it's rock, and not something else. Morgana herself appears to be a treewoman, the seductive form of her feminine figure made entirely of solid oak.

Pelt has already taken a seat, cross-legged, near the throne. His dog circles a few times and sits next to the poacher, where he receives ample pets and scratches.

Lentrax
2022-04-12, 04:15 PM
Miyuki enters, her tail swishing behind her. She looks around, and then up to Morgana. And she bows, deeply and formally.

Lady Morgana. Thank you for the invitation into your home.

DigoDragon
2022-04-12, 05:47 PM
Ellie looks around, squinting a bit at first as her eyes adjust. Luckily her elven heritage helps her acclimate quickly. She looks around, morbidly curious what some of the things around them are truly made of. Archimedes hoots once in her ear and Ellie focuses ahead with a nod

She copies her companion's bow, but says nothing. 'Think before you speak. Then say nothing.' Oh yeah, that's the hard part here.

Palanan
2022-04-12, 05:54 PM
Keys is baffled and perplexed as to why Ellie and Kaytu would even think of entering this vile creature’s domain.

His heart twisted with fear and dread, he hesitates a long, long moment; —but they did save him from the barbed net, and now it may be his turn to save them from stumbling into an equivalent trap, perhaps more subtle but far more deadly.

Crossbow slung, but ready to summon fire with an instant’s thought, Keys follows them through.

JNAProductions
2022-04-12, 06:28 PM
With all of you in, Morgana grins. "Such pretty little people..." she muses. "Now, I eagerly await your reasoning for why I should maintain this little peace once you leave. It promises to be entertaining."

Dr.Gunsforhands
2022-04-12, 06:30 PM
Kaytu puts away her spear and glances at Keys as he follows her in. She tries her best to tell him to put it away with her facial expression alone.

She bows as well, albeit not as deeply as she did even to Miyuki. She recognizes that she is a guest in Morgana's domain, but at the end of the day Kaytu serves a still higher authority.

When Morgana asks her question, Kaytu looks to Miyuki first, as eager as she seems to do all the talking.

Lentrax
2022-04-12, 07:23 PM
We are aware of, and appreciative of the time you are giving us.

Miyuki sighs. She does not have much to offer, but first she needs to know how much she needs to pay.

How extensive is the damage done to your ring?

JNAProductions
2022-04-12, 07:34 PM
"One or two bodies should suffice to recover the flowers," Morgana says. "Human-sized ones, that is. The little one, not so much."

Dr.Gunsforhands
2022-04-12, 08:56 PM
"If I may, Lady Morgana," Kaytu tries, "will replanting your garden be gesture enough to maintain our little peace? If not, I'm not sure what our peace is competing with."

DigoDragon
2022-04-12, 09:32 PM
Hmm. One or two human-sized bodies? Perhaps Ellie could convince her companions to help her hunt down a decent-sized deer to satisfy the mass requirement.

With Kaytu's question, Ellie considered why Pelt was setting up poisoned barb traps. Well, he hasn't denied the accusation, and it still isn't clear why that was even done. What was Pelt hunting? Ellie decided to hold her peace for the moment until others got their answers first. Had to be polite here. Don't talk all at once.

JNAProductions
2022-04-12, 09:43 PM
Morgana scoffs. "The garden being restored is a start. Not the end."

Lentrax
2022-04-12, 09:52 PM
Truly? Is it not enough to make amends? Restore the way it was, and go our separate ways?

JNAProductions
2022-04-12, 09:54 PM
Pelt shrugs. "You expect to simply fix what you broke and that to be all? You attacked unprovoked."

Lentrax
2022-04-12, 09:59 PM
I did no such thing. Do not insult me.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2022-04-13, 12:41 AM
"I think I'm starting to understand, though. If a child takes something that isn't theirs, simply giving it back doesn't teach the full lesson; one needs to apologize." Kaytu thinks on this for a moment to consider what might be appropriate. The fey seems mostly interested in entertainment, so...

"Lady Morgana, I'm sorry, and I appreciate that you've been more than merciful despite our actions. You likely overheard that we don't have much to give but our lives, and that's true. But, it happens that our village is holding a festival in a few days time, as a celebration of all our life's work. I'm not sure how much you enjoy the quirks of the material plane, but since you've been so hospitable to us, I'd be honored if you would like to come be our guest and sample some of our own hospitality."

The words have already left her mouth before she realizes the weight of what she's just volunteered for.

Still, makes for a better story than just killing us, right?

DigoDragon
2022-04-13, 06:33 AM
Ellie glanced over at Kaytu after that invitation was given out. 'well there's no pressure on my magic act now, is there?' Ellie was confident she could wow a mortal crowd, but the fae? Well, better bring her A game to the stage.

JNAProductions
2022-04-13, 09:24 AM
Pelt starts to laugh, but then Morgana speaks. "Really now? A celebration among the mortals-that could be interesting."

"Mistress, you can't be serious!" Pelt objects. "This-"

"This is an excellent offer, don't you think?" she overrides him. "A few days, you say... I'll have to prepare my own part to add to the festivities..."

You can see Pelt mulling over his options, and coming to the conclusion that his best bet is simply to listen to his master. "Very well, mistress."

Morgana asks "Now, tell me more of what is planned for this festival."

You've succeeded at bartering your way out of the frying pan, barring any screw-ups.

This does give you a few days before you reach the fire. :P

DigoDragon
2022-04-13, 10:38 AM
Ellie felt it was her turn to speak. "I have volunteered to put on a magic show for the festival; pyrotechnics, misdirection, and dazzling spells with a theme of Spring celebration."

She bows.

It was not lost on Ellie that her prestidigitation spells were mere parlor tricks compared to what a powerful fae could cast, but she was all about the confidence that she wasn't going to shy away from giving her best performance regardless.

"There will be music, dancing, and a modest feast to celebrate this new season, and to pray for good weather this year on the crops."

JNAProductions
2022-04-13, 11:01 AM
Morgana nods, thinking. She's silent for a few moments, then says "I will let you leave, so you may prepare for this celebration. You already have my word you will leave here alive-but I expect, before the festivities start, for my flowers to be healthy again. Pelt-let's discuss some matters, while our guests make their departure."

Lentrax
2022-04-13, 03:25 PM
Then, by your leave, oh gracious host. As we came, so we depart.

Miyuki bows, and then turns, ushering the others toward the exit.

Once they are outside, she continues to gesture them away until they are some distance from the ring.

Only then does she sink to her knees in exhaustion.

DigoDragon
2022-04-13, 03:47 PM
As she is ushered out, Ellie just has to know. She stops and looks back towards the trapper.

"Oh, Pelt, one last thing," Ellie spoke up, "What were you hunting in the woods that required barbed nets laced with a dangerous toxin? Obviously I am no skilled trapper, but to me that seems like overkill for the usual animals in these woods."

JNAProductions
2022-04-13, 03:51 PM
All you get is a sly, nasty grin from him.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2022-04-13, 05:24 PM
"Very well, thank you. Until then!"

Kaytu lightly bows and leaves with a smile on her face, barely needing Miyuki's urging. She couldn't help but smirk when Morgana put Pelt in his place. Once they're out, she follows Miyuki's direction until the poor girl collapses. Kaytu kneels down next to her and puts a hand on her shoulder.

"Are you alright?" If Miyuki takes a breath to chew her out some more, Kaytu raises her hand to pause it. "Shh, I know, I know, but we're safe for now. We can talk about that more in the morning." She'll try to comfort the hyperventilating fox with a hug if she's up for it, but if she's not, she won't. "For now, we need to get Ashkey home to rest. Would you please come with us? The forest is your home, but with that hound skulking around, I'd feel better if you stayed with one of us for the night."

Palanan
2022-04-13, 05:29 PM
"There's still another one of those traps out there," Keys points out, once they're well away from the shimmer. "We know who set it, and we know he doesn't care who he kills with it.

"I was lucky--I had you two," he glances up to Ellie and Kaytu, "but what if someone else wanders into it alone? Someone who doesn't always watch where they're going?"

He's clearly thinking of Spook.

Lentrax
2022-04-13, 05:34 PM
Miyuki forcibly pushes the hand away.

You. Damn. Fools. What have you done? Inviting Morgana? To the village?

She pushes her way back to her feet.

I know a place we can rest for the night. Follow me, fools.

She leads them deeper into the forest, heading toward her grove.

DigoDragon
2022-04-13, 08:15 PM
All you get is a sly, nasty grin from him.

Hmm. Ellie will have to accept that answer. For now. She curtseys to Morgana and takes her leave.

"I was lucky--I had you two," he glances up to Ellie and Kaytu, "but what if someone else wanders into it alone? Someone who doesn't always watch where they're going?"

"We will warn the village to be extra-vigilant if they have business in the woods. We know what to look for now."

You. Damn. Fools. What have you done? Inviting Morgana? To the village?

"Be fair. Kaytu invited her," Ellie says in hushed tones. "Rather bold move though. This'll be an epic night pass or fail." She nods to Kaytu, showing that Ellie is intrigued by this idea, dangerous as it is.

Palanan
2022-04-13, 08:31 PM
“So.” Keys stops in his tracks, hands on small hips, staring hard at Miyuki.

“You keep going on about how much you know about the fey. Seems like what we need now is some advice about dealing with fey—from the source.

“—Meaning, if you live here and know the ways of the fey, so on and so forth…do you actually know any fey? Who could give us some real advice?”

Lentrax
2022-04-13, 08:40 PM
You didn't listen to mine when I gave it to you earlier. Why should I send you to anywhere else?

Miyuki harrumphs.

I already warned Julia to tell everyone to keep out of the woods. She will probably listen better than you have.

Miyuki shifts and the small fox is there again.

I thought wizards were supposed to be smart. Be smart now. Don't follow me.

The fox starts off into the woods.

DigoDragon
2022-04-13, 09:32 PM
She leads them deeper into the forest, heading toward her grove.

I thought wizards were supposed to be smart. Be smart now. Don't follow me.
The fox starts off into the woods.

Ellie is momentarily caught off guard at the sudden shift, but she ceases to follow Miyuki as asked. Ellie waits for the fox to leave her sight, then whispers to the remaining companions, "Pretty sure she conflated intelligence with wisdom. Guess which one I got from my human half." She winks.

The little wizard then turns and starts off in the direction towards town. "Alright, time to get back home for a quick bite, and then we plan on how to catch about two people-sizes worth of meat to fix Morgana's flowerbed. I wonder if I can pull a favor from Asterisk for that?"

Palanan
2022-04-13, 10:29 PM
"Trap," Keys reminds them. "We can't just leave it out there."

DigoDragon
2022-04-14, 05:51 AM
Ellie paused. "That is a good point. Alright, a quick stop to disable that trap. Then home."

Lentrax
2022-04-14, 01:00 PM
Before the fox vanishes completely, you hear Miyuki call back.

Heed well my warning. Meddle not in the woods. You have seen now what they do to a man.

JNAProductions
2022-04-14, 02:38 PM
The group of three finds the last (hopefully) of Pelt's traps, and carefully disables it before heading back to Feypass. It's late afternoon by the time you return.

Miyuki, where you going?

DigoDragon
2022-04-14, 03:40 PM
Ellie stretches now that she's back at the village. She looks to her companions, "If either of you don't have important matters to attend to tonight, would you both care to meet up at the tavern for a drink? We could brainstorm how to catch a critter or two and appease the fae."

Dr.Gunsforhands
2022-04-15, 03:40 PM
Kaytu lets Miyuki go. She wants to ask what on earth her relationship is with this Morgana to be so terrified and protective of the fey lady at the same time, but Kaytu already overstepped her bounds in her attempts to calm Miyuki earlier.

"Ah, yes, that's a good idea," she says as Ellie snaps her out of a long bout of overthinking things. Kaytu was so deep in the proverbial tank that she barely noticed they'd left the shade of the forest; she's surprised to find it's still light out. "Sorry, I was trying to think of an answer that doesn't involve sacrificing livestock, but we're rather on a schedule now... We should probably let everyone know about our new guest, too."

Palanan
2022-04-15, 05:21 PM
Keys doesn't often drink, and he rarely sees the inside of a tavern, but on this evening he will join Ellie and Kaytu.

He has been extremely quiet and evidently lost in thought for the entire walk back.

DigoDragon
2022-04-15, 05:39 PM
"Sacrificing livestock... well it's a good thing I'm too poor to just buy a solution like that," Ellie says, laughing lightly at the idea. Well, it probably would work.

She heads in the direction of home. "I'm gonna freshen up first. Meet you both at the tavern later for drinks."

[At home]
Ellie arrives on her porch, and lets Archimedes hop onto a perch in the shade to nap. She walks inside and takes a look around. Yeah, she should tidy up a bit. Ellie takes a few minutes to prestidigitate clean several spots around her little home; dishes get washed, the bedsheets are aired out, the books are picked up from the floor and stacked neatly.

After a quick home tidy session, she freshens herself up, de-soiling her clothes and taking a comb to her hair.

"Ladies and gentlemen of Fey Pass, I present to you, a show of skilled magic and illusion." Ellie thinks about her wording. Is it too hammy? Hmm, she needs it to at least sound convincing for the audience. Well, most are easy to appease with her spells. Morgana on the other hand, probably would be bored. Maybe she could convince Archimedes to do a few tricks? "Behold! My lovely assistant, Archimedes, will dive through a series of hoops!" Hoop tricks might be an easy one to teach. She could work on her juggling. That went over well a few seasons back at a party.

Once Ellie is all cleaned up, she adjusts her hat back on and makes her way to the tavern to meet up with the others.

JNAProductions
2022-04-15, 06:14 PM
The tavern is lively and bright. Warm, comforting... Free of the worries now swimming through your minds.

Palanan
2022-04-15, 09:31 PM
On the uncommon occasions that Keys is found in a tavern, usually with Guzzle, he is a quiet sort of merry; but tonight the mellow conviviality which surrounds him might be silent and grey, as he stares through tables and ignores the welter of words whirling about him.

DigoDragon
2022-04-15, 11:55 PM
Ellie arrives at the tavern. She's a bit hungry, but with only about ten silver to her name right now, she'll have to keep it on the cheap. She scans the room until her eyes land upon Keys, where she slowly walks over and sits at whatever table he's at.

"You look like the sort that just finished funeral rites," Ellie whispers to Keys. "Is it just today's events or something else eating at you?"

Palanan
2022-04-16, 07:35 AM
Keys stares unseeing at the worn grain of the table.

“We have to tell them,” he says quietly. “The traps, the hound, the fey, what’s about to happen. We have to tell them everything.”

DigoDragon
2022-04-16, 02:27 PM
“We have to tell them,” he says quietly. “The traps, the hound, the fey, what’s about to happen. We have to tell them everything.”

Ellie nods slowly. "Well, yes. We will do that. Worded in a way that won't cause a panic. Pelt is hunting something big so avoid those parts of the woods we seen the traps, and we have a special guest coming over from the fae realm... yeah, this might be a tough sell that wouldn't cause concern. Um..."

Dr.Gunsforhands
2022-04-16, 05:55 PM
"I'll talk to Naoki and Tillman," says Kaytu. "Feypass is named for this, so Morgana may have a history here that we're not aware of. They might be able to help convince someone to give up a cow as a diplomatic offering, too. It's not often you find yourself with such a powerful new neighbor barely two hours' walk away."

It came out calmly, but the way Kaytu rubs her temple as she says it betrays that it's no less difficult for her than anyone else. She thanks tonight's barkeep for her glass of water and quietly prays something before drinking it.

"I'm still worried about Miyuki. Whatever's going on, she's clearly terrified, but she's convinced she has to handle it herself."

Lentrax
2022-04-16, 06:14 PM
Miyuki goes off through the woods, unsure of what they can do to fulfill Morgana’s price. Just because she said bodies, does not mean they can be dead.

Why does she even care? She warned them that morning not to meddle with Fey. They were worried for her? She told them she was born of the woods.

They ignored her advice and demanded she take them to more fey?

What fools these mortals be.

She walks the forest for a time, then heads to the village. She needs to warn the people of what is coming.

JNAProductions
2022-04-16, 08:12 PM
As Miyuki wanders the forest, she spots an elk. He's simply watching her, unconcerned as to whatever might be troubling her.

DigoDragon
2022-04-17, 12:41 AM
"I'm still worried about Miyuki. Whatever's going on, she's clearly terrified, but she's convinced she has to handle it herself."

Ellie nods at the plans to talk to Naoki, et. al., but on the subject of Miyuki... well, Ellie takes a deep breath and leans forward to put her head on her hands; she contemplates today's events.

"Miyuki seemed more clearly pissed if you ask me. But, I did set Morgana's flowers on fire. Not that I knew those were her flowers. Could have been necromancy from another wizard. Or Pelt knows a really interesting gardener. Still, probably is my fault. I should put a sign up next time I pass there. Have it read, 'Morgana's flowers, do not burn, emolliate, or make pacts with owner.'" Ellie sees a server and waves them over for service.

She sits back up. "Eh, Miyuki is probably fine; asking around the woods about Pelt's pact with Morgana. I threw a Sleep spell at him and he just shrugged it off. Humans don't shrug that off. And his dog? Geez, that thing is a beast. You'd almost feel sorry for Pelt when that mutt gotta take a poo. ...sorry, I'm rambling at you two. "

Lentrax
2022-04-18, 10:59 PM
As Miyuki wanders the forest, she spots an elk. He's simply watching her, unconcerned as to whatever might be troubling her.

She stops for a moment, looking at the elk. But she can't determine if it is one she knows or not. She stays that way for a while.

Watching the elk.

Which seems like a much better idea than whatever she had been doing.

JNAProductions
2022-04-19, 09:28 AM
The elk stares back. It snorts a little, and then turns to start walking away. Towards Oko's circle.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2022-04-21, 10:17 PM
"Not at all," Kaytu says regarding the rambling. "Morgana's... sponsoring of Pelt makes me wonder about their motives, but I have to believe it's not that dire. If she's making her home so close by, should she not be able to visit us as easily as the other way around?"

Once the group has sufficiently wound down and relaxed, she stands up and gets ready to visit the town's elders.

Palanan
2022-04-21, 10:24 PM
Keys glances sharply at Kaytu with real alarm, and silently pulls back the sleeves of his tunic to show the barely-healed scars from the cruel barbs of Pelt’s trap.

“Not that dire?” he flings back at her, gone in a heartbeat from distantly thoughtful to a focused glare. “I would have died in that trap, and it was Pelt’s doing—at her command. Whatever they’re doing is evil” —his voice catches on the word with unexpected passion “—and we can’t let them get away with it.

“Whatever they’re doing, we have to stop it—before someone really does die.”

Lentrax
2022-04-21, 11:05 PM
Miyuki takes a step to go after the elk, but then stops herself. She has to get to the village.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2022-04-21, 11:12 PM
Kaytu falls guiltily silent at Keys' reproach.

"...that's probably true," she sighs. "I was going to say we don't know what they're planning, but the pieces are all there, right? The flowers require flesh to grow, so Morgana recruits a servant to catch large animals and feed them. In exchange, she grants Pelt a fey hound fitting his personality. Once they grow a critical mass of flowers..."

Of course, that piece of the puzzle we actually don't have yet.

"...something happens, which Pelt is actively excited about and which Miyuki would seemingly prefer we not interfere with?" She puts her hand on her temple again, having apparently talked herself into a corner.

DigoDragon
2022-04-22, 05:56 AM
"Hmm..." Ellie vocalizes while thinking. "Well the flowers have something to do with keeping that portal open, right? Those are important to her, or she wouldn't make it a focus in our parley. What if the plan is for Morgana to cross over from her plane to ours, and the portal needs a minimum mass of flowers to do that?"

JNAProductions
2022-04-22, 11:33 AM
It's at this point that the three in the tavern realize that they've been talking perhaps a touch too loud. Everyone else in the building is staring at them with worry.

DigoDragon
2022-04-23, 09:50 PM
Ellie looks up from her conversation. Oh. Guess if it weren't for the drinks, this is a bad idea. She clears her throat holds up a hand.

"Well, we were gonna surprise everyone, but I guess we said the quiet parts loud. Yeah, there's a fae in our woods. Morgana is her name. She seemed curious about us so we invited her to the festival in a few days. Since we share the woods, it seemed like a neighborly gesture to show her a good time."

Palanan
2022-04-23, 10:24 PM
As Ellie speaks, Keys rises to stand on his chair, then steps up onto the table.

Silently, he pulls each sleeve to his shoulders, raising his hands high to show the wounds scattered along each arm. Reaching into a pouch, he withdraws a folded scrap of cloth, which he carefully unwraps to reveal the length of barbed netting he took from the disabled trap.

“These metal thorns,” he tells the murmuring room, “nearly killed me. —I was caught in a cruel trap with metal thorns like these, smeared in poison. If it hadn’t been for Ellie and Kaytu, I would have died in the forest today.

“—And who set that trap?” Keys looks around the room; he can tell that some have already guessed. “Pelt. He’s not just catching stoats and doves anymore. These traps can kill any one of us.

“And he’s in league with this Morgana. She’s…changed him. She’s changed that beast of his. Pelt was barely human before; now there’s nothing human of him left.

“For all we know there are more traps like that out there—and who knows what else Pelt is doing at her command. We have to stop him, before his traps and his beast start killing us in earnest.

“And whatever this Morgana is doing—we have to stop her, too. She’s coming here, to the festival. And we have to be ready.”

JNAProductions
2022-04-24, 11:51 AM
There's some murmuring.

Merut's the first to speak up, his voice only a little slurred. "You want to start from the beginning?" he asks. "Whole story. Whole thing."

Winter nods. "Yes. I mean, we know Feypass has connections to the fey, but... What's happening, exactly? Are we in danger-supernatural danger, not just Pelt?" she asks. You can hear a little vitriol in her voice when she says Pelt, but the overall tone is far more just worried.

DigoDragon
2022-04-25, 06:36 AM
Ellie leans towards Keys and whispers, "Uh, maybe go easy on the pickfork and torch?"

She clears her throat to start from the beginning. Ellie describes the day's events starting from when the trio got together during the stage construction to go into the woods for tea leaves. She tells the story up until the part where Keys falls into Pelt's trap and simplifies that part as 'this is where Keys got the scars'. She then continues to where she brought Keys back to the village, made an antitoxin for him, then how the trio returned to the woods to find Pelt and any remaining traps.

Ellie then reaches the part in the story about the red flowers and the portal. She tells of the flowers screams if they are plucked, and how Pelt came and his big dog attacked the trio, but then Miyuki showed up and negotiated a parley. The group agreed to replace the flowers with a catch of some wildlife game, and they invited Morgana to the festivities so that they can show that the village if full of good people that can live peacefully with the woods.

JNAProductions
2022-04-25, 06:54 AM
There's a few questions asked for clarity, but for the most part, everyone just listens.

Once the retelling of the past day or so is done, there's a mixture of emotions. On the one hand, they're armed with knowledge-they know what they're to be dealing with, kinda.
On the other hand... It's still scary.

"Where's Miyuki now?" Winter asks. "She seems like she knows the most about this."

Dr.Gunsforhands
2022-04-25, 04:57 PM
"Last I remember, she stayed in the woods and said not to follow her," Kaytu finally says. "I don't know when we'll see her next, but if she is the authority on the matter, then we are most certainly in danger."

She pauses guiltily, again feeling that she invited that danger upon everyone, but takes a breath. Whatever else Morgana may be, Kaytu thinks, she is also a reasonable adult who could have just as easily come on her own.

"At any rate, I was on my way to tell Naoki and discuss our plan of action. Frankly, I intend to stay and show the fey the same kindness we would show any other guest from a faraway land, but if he weighs our and Miyuki's input and then wishes to fight or evacuate, I'll defer to him."

Lentrax
2022-04-25, 06:48 PM
Fleeing is not an option. Miyuki says from the open window, her small fox body easily able to sit on the sill.

Not if anyone wishes to see a day beyond the festival.