PDA

View Full Version : Character creation/building as a conversation about the desired content

PhoenixPhyre
2022-03-11, 09:41 PM
Another thread (about the Actor) feat got me thinking.

I find the game works best when both players and the DM think of the choices they make during character creation and leveling as part of an extended, non-entirely-verbal conversation. A conversation about what kind of content they want to see more (or less) of. What kinds of challenges do they want to face? What kinds of adventures are most compelling?

A player that creates the thief-iest thief that ever stole tells me that they want opportunities to show off their stealth and pilfering skills. As well as that they want cases where their shtick gets them in trouble or isn't the best option. A player who creates the most "big numbers" combat monster character tells me that they want to see how much they can push things in combat[1]. Character flaws? They're plot eyebolts, explicit permission to attach a plot hook to those points. Just like Ideals and Bonds. A character with weaknesses must be expecting to be confronted on those weaknesses and have them matter; a character with strengths is expecting to get to display those strengths and have them matter.

So taking the Actor feat (for example) is a conversational marker that you want opportunities to mimic people's voices and have it matter. And it's bad form for the DM to deny that--if they were never going to come up and there's no way to work it in, tell the player that up front and recommend that they pick something else instead. And it's bad form for the player to refuse to engage or complain when the weaknesses they designed into their character come up and matter. Just like it's bad form for the DM to never play to someone's strengths. And this is on an individual level--if a character dumps CHA into the ground because he figures "the bard can do it", then that's not great play[2]. Each choice should matter at least once during a campaign. Make a "I'm a sniper who never moves and hates being in melee" character? I'll make sure that sometimes that is put to great effect (dice willing) and sometimes there are flying/teleporting/jumping/burrowing things that will try to get all friendly with you. If you really want something (like a backstory character) to be off limits for OOC reasons, tell me so openly. And I'll respect that. On the flip side, it won't count as a bonus for you either. That said, none of these things are make-or-break--I'm mainly interested in seeing how you play into/off the foils and situations.

Does this generally produce more generalized, less specialized characters? Absolutely. Which I consider a strong feature, not a defect. But it should also even out the perceived power of "situational" features, since it raises the probability they'll come up. Playing a druid? I'll try to ensure that knowing Druidic will matter. Same with a rogue and thieves' cant. I'll target the paladin with a fear effect, but I'll also target the guy with negative Wisdom with one.

[1] It also tells me that that my game won't be a good fit for that character, because I don't run "big combat challenge" games. I have no interest or skill in that. And I say so up front.
[2] If you make a tabaxi character who has the defining trait of being shy around women, I'll make sure that an overly friendly cat-girl shows up somewhere[3]. How you react is up to you, but choices matter. And your character tells me what you're agreeing to react to. Intentionally having weaknesses and then refusing to play into them isn't great form.
[3] Most of these examples are from actual characters I've played across the table from.

Skrum
2022-03-12, 09:45 AM
I mean this is one of the finer points of being a good DM; giving your players ample time to use their whole character sheet and feel badass. Think of it as a continuation on the spectrum of having varied combat encounters - it lets players use their whole sheet and not just their attack rolls, damage rolls, and best 2-3 spells.

My advice to a dm who's looking to wow the players? Don't underestimate letting the players be amazing. Make a whole compound of mooks for them to style on. Make terrain features they can fly over/jump up/teleport to. Put gates that are specifically there for the barbarian to lift. A bomb for the rogue to diffuse. The possibilities are endless - but if it's cinematic, the players are going to love it.

da newt
2022-03-12, 10:48 AM
Fair points, well made. I too like complete characters - realistic well fleshed out sorts, and campaigns that are tweaked to allow the individual PCs / Players to interact in a meaningful way (strengths/weaknesses, backstory, ideals, flaws, etc). I am not much of a fan of cartoonishly simple PCs (who act as if they believe they are immortal) and campaigns without plot hooks - I like to care about the story and it works best when the DM and the Players are working together.

When these things don't come together, the game isn't as compelling for me.

Psyren
2022-03-12, 12:50 PM
When I plan sessions and design challenges, I always have the players' sheets in front of me so I can think of creative ways they can use their abilities to solve the problems I'm devising. They might come up with something I didn't think of that I can then roll with, but generally if I'm designing an obstacle it's going to be tailored to at least one of their abilities.

False God
2022-03-12, 03:59 PM
I don't make any DMing decisions based off anything the player and I did not discuss. Maybe the player of the ultra-buff, shy-around women tabaxi character has brought up that, as part of his character developing, he'd like to be faced with situations that challenge his stoic "everything can be solved with punching" approach to life.

And that's fine. Maybe they have expressed that they dumped charisma, took the "shy around women" flaw and build a crazy strength build because they're interested in some casual monster beat-em-up. And that's also fine.

But communication is communication. Reading between the lines, wiggling eyebrows, nudge-nudge, hint-hint, nah I don't have time for those kinds of games. Communication is communication.

That said, my games already include by default a little bit of everything. There will be moments when you need all the damage you can muster, there will be moments when you'll have to deal with women. The character who is bad-at-the-thing might have to be the one to resolve the situation. Maybe they won't. I'm not concerned if you miss the moment for your character to shine. There will be others. I'll drop hints here and clues here and it's up to the party to dig deeper into the areas they're interested in, or not.

I encourage people to make well-rounded characters not because they will be faced with challenges to their weaknesses, but because they may. There's no guarantee. There's no promise. If you make a character with a big glaring weakness, that's not permission for me to take advantage of it, that's acceptance that it may be taken advantage of.