PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Pathfinder 1ed Use Magic Device Emulated Class Feature Question

Dagearg
2022-03-12, 08:57 AM
Hi! I'm actually playing a Wizard with a dip in the Loremaster prestige class, which grants him access to the Secret of Magical Discipline feat, allowing him to cast any spell of the game, once per day as if it were one of his prepared spells.

So, if he crafts a wondrous item, that will require to be a wizard to use it (so the item will be 30% cheaper) and the magic item contains a continual effect, lets say, of a cleric spell (which he can cast as a prepared spell due to the aforementioned feat), will he need to make an Use Magic Device roll every hour to keep it activated?

If it is so, will it count as he is emulating a class feature (casting clerical spells)?

Crake
2022-03-12, 09:54 AM
Were it not for the wizard requirement that you put on, that item could be used by anyone, regardless of the fact that it has a cleric spell in it. In pathfinder 1e, you don't even need to expend the spell, because you can just ignore the prerequisite for a measly +5 to the spellcraft DC to craft it.

I also think most DMs wouldn't allow the -30% item cost to be factored into the actual crafting values, as that's actually more of a benefit than a hindrance, as an enemy couldn't steal the item and use it against you. Most DMs would only apply the -30% item cost when actually trying to sell the item, as a merchant would have a much smaller pool of potential customers.

But yeah, point is, you don't need to be a cleric to activate a magic item that applies a cleric spell, and if the item is a continuous wondrous item, you don't need UMD at all. The only time you'd need UMD would be if you put the wizard limitation on it, and a non wizard wanted to use it.

Dagearg
2022-03-13, 06:25 AM
Thank you for your reply. I was mislead by the example of the Ring of Invisibility, which states:

"By activating this simple silver ring, the wearer can benefit from invisibility, as the spell."

But now I get the difference. You won't become invisible just by wearing the ring, you need to activate its effects. A continuous effect invisible ring on the other hand, will turn the user invisible upon wearing it, and the only way to become visible again is to remove the ring.

My final objective is to create a wondrous item with a continual Paragon Surge effect, using the 4th level Self Realization subdomain Cleric version that always matches your race.