PDA

View Full Version : 4 PCs, one race. What do you build?

Catullus64
2022-03-12, 11:45 AM
Had this idea when looking over and writing my response to the "4 PCs, one race, what do you build?" thread (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?643586-4-PCs-one-base-class-What-do-you-build) when it occured to me that my all-Rogue party would also function very nicely if it were an all-Elf party.

The idea of the exercise is to build a 4-PC party where all four members share the same race, though not subrace, and all four have different classes. Now, to my thinking, the nature of the game is a little different here from one-class party building. Building a well-rounded party with members of all one race is quite easy in 5e. A party of all Gnomes with a Rogue, Fighter, Cleric, and Wizard will do quite well. (This is true, by the way, with or without ability score customization.)

So the challenge here is not so much building a functional party as it is building one that fits very well with the themes of each race. You are free to assume fixed ability score modifiers or custom ones as you please. I don't think it makes much difference either way. With that said, here would be my picks for some of the classic races:

Elves:
(High) Bladesinger Wizard
(Wood) Dreams Druid
(Eladrin) Ancients Paladin
(Drow) Gloom Stalker Ranger

Dwarfs:
(Mountain) Battlemaster Fighter
(Mountain) Battlerager Barbarian
(Hill) Forge Cleric
(Hill) Artillerist Artificer

Halflings:
(Lightfoot) Thief Rogue
(Lightfoot) Lore Bard
(Ghostwise) Beastmaster Ranger
(Stout) Drunken Master Monk

Gnomes:
(Rock) Illusionist Wizard
(Forest) Arcane Trickster Rogue
(Rock) Alchemist Artificer
(Forest) Trickery Cleric

NaughtyTiger
2022-03-12, 11:55 AM
In out of the abyss, we had a 3 member party...

Half-elf hunter ranger
Drow hunter ranger
Wood-elf beastmaster ranger

i quite enjoyed that

LudicSavant
2022-03-12, 12:10 PM
Maybe something like...

The Babadook Gank Squad
https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/0VFhcwXblt3CtYjtFtJOWKAcA9c=/800x0/filters:no_upscale()/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/8649533/2017_06_07_18_58_08.gif

MPMM Bugbear (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?642901-Mini-Guide-to-Mordenkainen-s-Monsters-of-the-Multiverse-PC-Races!) Way of Shadow Monk / Battle Master (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=24890247&postcount=831)
Bugbear Way of Shadow Monk #2 (because Shadow Monks synergize with other Shadow Monks for the deaf/blind combo)
Bugbear Watchers Dexadin (he's always watching you while you're sleeping)
Bugbear Divine Soul Sorlock with Fey-Touched (Gift of Alacrity), Devil's Sight, and a variety of vision blockers

Good luck surviving to get a turn. And if you do, good luck not being deaf and blind with no save (because of the Monks spamming KFA Darkness and KFA Silence).

These guys all see through darkness (and everyone but the Sorlock sees through fog clouds and such, too, if they find enemies who can see through darkness). They all win stealth via Pass Without Trace, all win initiative via Watchers + Gift of Alacrity on everyone + good Dex, and proceed to do all of the damage by appending +2d6 to all of their many, highly accurate attacks (the Monks get 4 early on! And then 6 when they get Action Surge! And the Sorlock has Eldritch Blast + Quicken Scorching Ray for tons of attacks).

Amnestic
2022-03-12, 12:35 PM
I mentioned my warforged 'lock squad in another thread so I'll skip that.

Instead I'd probably look to expand on adding green and yellow to my existing Red and Blue Oni (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=25297236&postcount=1318) via Tiefling.

Green and Yellow don't seem to have pierced into cultural significance in the way that red and blue have, so I've got less stuff to work with, but arguably more freedom.

Being able to grow huge with rune knight remains a staple, so green oni would be a dex fighter rune knight into arcane trickster rogue (green=greed?). The illusions spells from arcane trickster serve our purpose just fine for oni magic.
Yellow Oni I've decided are the peacemakers of the group, so after their requisite Rune Knight start, I'd be probably taking them as a cha-focused Redemption paladin, maybe a brief bard dip for some enchantment stuff and additional face skills.

Just Helping
2022-03-12, 12:49 PM
I've thought of one, using Genasi -- Four Elements team.

Fire Genasi Wildfire Druid
Air Genasi Storm Sorcerer
Water Genasi Tempest Cleric
Earth Genasi Genie (Dao) Warlock)

ender241
2022-03-12, 01:18 PM

Earth Genasi Genie (Dao) Warlock)

Do you remember
The 21st night of September?

Sigreid
2022-03-12, 01:40 PM
Can we go with 5? Because I think what D&D needs is 5 gnome artificer armorers that design their armors to fit together and form a gnomish Voltron!

KorvinStarmast
2022-03-12, 01:41 PM

Earth Genasi Genie (Dao) Warlock)Love your thematics. (Have a personal like of Genasi, which helps).

My One Race four PC team:
vHuman Paladin
vHuman Fighter, Battlemaster
vHuman Rogue (AT) Arcane Trickster
Human: Cleric, Life

Skrum
2022-03-12, 01:45 PM
Variant human of course lololol

An all flying party would rule. My preference is fairies, but tiefling would be a close second. I don't really care for the bird races.

Hexblood, Dhampir, or reborn would all be very flavorful options as well (doing an underwater walk as reborn or Dhampir would be fire)

Edit: unborn or Dhampir that fight within stinking clouds..... The Poison Posse

KorvinStarmast
2022-03-12, 01:47 PM
Variant human of course lololol

An all flying party would rule. My preference is fairies, but tiefling would be a close second. I don't really care for the bird races.

Hexblood, Dhampir, or reborn would all be very flavorful options as well (doing an underwater walk as reborn or Dhampir would be fire)

Edit: unborn or Dhampir that fight within stinking clouds..... The Poison Posse
4 Aracokra
1 monk (sun soul)
1 rogue (Swashbuckler?)
1 wizard (bladesinger)
1 fighter (battlemaster)

ender241
2022-03-12, 01:53 PM
4 Owlin. Flight + stealth + darkvision.

LibraryOgre
2022-03-12, 01:56 PM
Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd ai męnu!

Keeping to the PH, because I am lazy

Hill dwarf Fighter/Battlemaster
Hill Dwarf Bard/Valor
Hill Dwarf Rogue/Thief
Hill dwarf Cleric/Life

This is a hella traditional set-up. Not a lot of blaster support until Magical Secrets kicks in, then again when your thief hits 13th. You MIGHT change the thief to Arcane Trickster, the Bard to Lore (and, IMO, also to Mountain), or the fighter to Eldritch Knight to cover that, but you're such a potent martial force, backed by some strong healing and good buffing, that you don't really need to.

TyGuy
2022-03-12, 06:35 PM
Kobold
Thief rogue with expertise in tinker tools (inventor)
Champion fighter (dragonshield)
Draconic sorcerer (scale sorcerer)
4th is a toss up between
War cleric (priest of Kurtulmak)
Or
Beast master or swarm ranger (tamer)

Catullus64
2022-03-12, 06:51 PM
Hobgoblin
Battlemaster Fighter
Conquest Paladin
Evoker Wizard
Shadow Monk

Lizardfolk
Beast Barbarian
Land (Swamp) Druid
Hunter Ranger
Scout Rogue

Dragonborn
Blue Storm Herald Barbarian (Sea)
Gold Draconic Bloodline Sorcerer
Bronze Devotion Paladin
Green Assassin Rogue

CTurbo
2022-03-13, 02:04 AM
Gnome Vengeance Paladin
Gnome Tempest Cleric
Gnome Eldritch Knight Fighter
Gnome Armorer Artificer

All 4 in Plate armor of course.

Loxodon Thief Rogue
Loxodon Enchanter Wizard
Loxodon Lore Bard
Loxodon Open Hand Monk

Kobold Frenzy Barbarian
Kobold Long Death Monk
Kobold Conquest Paladin
Kobold Whispers Bard

Bugbear PAM Battlemaster Fighter
Bugbear PAM Frenzy Barbarian
Bugbear PAM Devotion Paladin
Bugbear PAM Hunter Ranger with Horde Breaker
Bugbear PAM Tempest Cleric

Orc Fighter 1/Diviner Wizard 19
Orc Fighter 1/Abjuration Wizard 19
Orc Fighter 1/Illusionist Wizard 19
Orc Fighter 1/Enchanter Wizard 19
Orc War Cleric 1/War Wizard 19

Angelalex242
2022-03-13, 04:18 AM
Imported from the other thread.

4 Shadow Monk Tortles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNa2Fr6CA0E

Bphill561
2022-03-13, 04:49 AM
Lets assume a lot.

4 Naked Tabaxi Wereravens
1 Barbarian
1 Mystic (UA)
1 Monk
1 Sorcerer (Stone UA)

Each can get Con to AC except of course the Monk with Wisdom. Assuming you can use Tasha's, and move the stats around and dump Dex.

Or go Dwarf with Free medium armor and Dump dex for a auto 15.

Foxydono
2022-03-13, 06:32 AM
Not exactly what you asked for, as the Aarakocra does not have a subrace, but non the less an excellent choice for a blasting party. Especially if you are in an open campaign.

1. Twilight Cleric (support and darkness!)
2. Deep Stalker Ranger 5 / Rogue assassin x
3. Fiend Warlock with EB repelling
4. Evocation wizard

Blast your enemies from 300 feet in the air with advantage. Repel them, fireball them, fly away when they come close. You have a dex/int/cha/wis character, so all bases are covered. Support, fire power, utility, its a decent setup if you ask me.

RogueJK
2022-03-13, 10:23 AM
Here's a team of Tieflings that would work just as well with/without customizable racial stat bonuses:

Winged Tiefling Celestial Tomelock (Ranged/Healing/Utility/Summoning)
Levistus or Zariel Tiefling Vengeance Paladin 6/Divine Soul Sorcerer X (Frontliner/Support)
Glasya Tiefling Swashbuckler Rogue (Melee Striker/Skill Monkey/Scout)
Dispater Tiefling Aberrant Mind Sorcerer (Blaster/Controller/Face)

You could even do it as "4 PCs, One Race, One Class":
Zariel Tiefling Hexblade Bladelock (Frontliner)
Levistus Tiefling Celestial Tomelock (Backup Melee/Healing/Support/Utility)
Glasya Tiefling Archfey Chainlock (Scout/Skill Monkey/Face)
Winged Tiefling Fathomless Talismanlock (Controller/Blaster/Summoner)

animorte
2022-03-14, 10:42 PM
Had this idea when looking over and writing my response to the "4 PCs, one race, what do you build?" thread (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?643586-4-PCs-one-base-class-What-do-you-build)

Thanks for the link. I just noticed this! XD

First, I'm legitimately surprised that everybody isn't all 100% VHuman, haha!

My choice: Halflings!
Why? Lucky is one of the best things ever, also Dexterity is my favorite ability score
- Ghostwise Halfling, Rogue: Arcane Trickster
- Lightfoot Halfling, Warlock: Genie/Pact of the Chain
- Mark of Healing, Halfling Cleric: Twilight
- Stout Halfling, Barbarian 1/Fighter: Eldritch Knight

I also really like someone else's idea of 1 race, 1 class:
- Stout Halfling, Warlock: Hexblade (blade pact)
- Mark of Healing Halfling, Warlock: Celestial (tome pact)
- Lightfoot Halfling, Warlock: Undead (chain pact)
- Mark of Hospitality Halfling, Warlock: Genie (talisman pact)

Willowhelm
2022-03-14, 11:16 PM
First, I'm legitimately surprised that everybody isn't all 100% VHuman, haha!

It amuses me every time people claim that VHuman is the only choice anyone ever made pre Tasha’s and now everyone chooses custom lineage meanwhile in threads like this (and many others) people choose other races (even the “optimisers”)

animorte
2022-03-14, 11:34 PM
It amuses me every time people claim that VHuman is the only choice anyone ever made pre Tasha’s and now everyone chooses custom lineage meanwhile in threads like this (and many others) people choose other races (even the “optimisers”)

I think the whole reason for VHuman love is because everyone received a free feat at level one in 3.5e

heavyfuel
2022-03-15, 12:06 AM
The Immortals (all Halfling team)

Warlock Celestial/Chain
Druid Dreams
Rogue Thief
Cleric Twilight

Everyone can heal HP as a Bonus Action, somewhat.

The Thief requires potions and a DM that allows Fast Hands to be used with Healing Potions, which just makes sense, as you can use Fast Hands to administer a flask of water, so you should be able to administer a flask of potion.

The Cleric has Healing Word and the Channel Divinity which not proper HP, but still.

Plus, the Chain familiar can administer Potions, although it takes the familiar's full action.

The idea is that, due to yo-yo healing, you only get to fully beat the encounter if you make all 5 characters go down at once. Otherwise they just keep healing themselves a little bit and continue fighting.

I assume it's because this is a thread about hypothetical builds. VH and CL are great because in actual play, you can get those one or two feats you absolutely need 3-4 levels earlier than other races, and this can mean months playing what you actually envisioned rather than a crappy version of your vision. In a hypothetical build this isn't worth nearly as much

SLOTHRPG95
2022-03-15, 01:58 AM
Half-Orc Barbarian (Zealot)
Half-Orc Cleric (War)
Half-Orc Fighter (Champion)
Half-Orc Paladin (Conquest)

They're crusaders for Gruumsh, here to hit people first and ask questions never. They work best when they can lock enemies into melee range, but the Champion could afford tertiary Dex and Archery as their second fighting style for not-terrible ranged attacks.

Ogre Mage
2022-03-15, 02:14 AM
Half-Elf Oath of Ancients Paladin
Half-Elf Eloquence Bard
Half-Elf Wild Magic Sorcerer
Half-Elf Archfey Warlock

Witty Username
2022-03-15, 02:20 AM
Goblin Ranger
Goblin Sorcerer
Goblin Druid
Goblin Barbarian

Requirement everyone has int 8 or less.

da newt
2022-03-15, 07:43 AM
I do like the idea of a stealth goblin team - all hide all the time.

Mostlymad
2022-03-15, 02:29 PM
Lords of the Undead
Theme Revolves Around Being Undeadish and Controlling Them
Dhampir:
Oathbreaker Paladin
Necromancer Wizard
Spores Druid
Spirits Bard or Phantom Rogue

Death in the first 6 seconds
Theme Revolves Around Dealing as Much Damage in the First Round of Combat. High Initiative Builds.
Bugbear
Whispers Bard
Assassin Rogue
Gloom Stalker Ranger
Zealot/Berserker Barbarian or Battlemaster Fighter (Giving Init Boost and Rogue A Second Stab)

animorte
2022-03-15, 04:33 PM
Lords of the Undead
Theme Revolves Around Being Undeadish and Controlling Them
Dhampir:
Oathbreaker Paladin
Necromancer Wizard
Spores Druid
Spirits Bard or Phantom Rogue

I see no Undead Warlock here

sithlordnergal
2022-03-15, 04:36 PM
The Gob Squad

Goblin Arcane Trickster

Goblin Vengeance Paladin

Goblin Totem Barbarian

Goblin College of Whispers Bard

They're out for vengeance against the party of "heroes" that stole their string and attacked their tribe! The Paladin has a dog as their mount X3

Mostlymad
2022-03-16, 07:55 AM
I see no Undead Warlock here
I focused more on classes that control undead as opposed to a lackey of an undead. :P

Seriously though I considered the Undead Warlock but went with a more well rounded party make up.

Out of curiosity what would your team make up be with the Undead Warlock?

Catullus64
2022-03-16, 08:06 AM
Triton

Fathomless Warlock
Land (Coast) Druid
Storm Herald (Sea) Barbarian
Deep Stalker Ranger

I'm actually envisioning a pretty fun campaign in a world where the entire planet has been flooded by the seas. Players all pick aquatic races. It'd be pretty cool.

Frankly, much more so than with monoclass parties, monorace parties all suggest really interesting stories to me.

TyGuy
2022-03-16, 08:33 AM
A straight forward one

Aasimar
(Scourge) zealot barbarian
(Protector) life cleric
(Scourge) devotion paladin
(Protector) celestial warlock

Mostlymad
2022-03-16, 01:38 PM
The Pyromaniacs
A group that focuses on dealing Fire Damage
Tiefling (restricted to Base, Asmodeus, Mephistopheles, Hellfire, Infernal and Zariel)
Each must take the Flames of Phlegethos feat at level 4
Phoenix Soul/Pyromancer Sorcerer
Forge Cleric
Wildfire Druid
Fiend Pact of the Blade Warlock

Also considered Ascendant Dragon (any fire based) Monk but it doesn't mesh with the Flames of Phlegethos idea.

animorte
2022-03-16, 09:35 PM
I focused more on classes that control undead as opposed to a lackey of an undead. :P

Seriously though I considered the Undead Warlock but went with a more well rounded party make up.

Out of curiosity what would your team make up be with the Undead Warlock?

You've got a really cool idea there, not gonna lie!

First, I love Warlocks and will always find a way to make them relevant to the conversation... That's my first reason. ;)

Undead Warlock
Swarmkeeper Ranger
Circle of Spores Druid
Hexblade Warlock works wonderfully with Cloak of Flies invocation (this is the one that binds the spirit of a corpse to its service), rounds out the party as a good front liner.
- Honorable mentions: Death Cleric and Mercy Monk

And of course the two you mentioned: College of Spirits Bard and Phantom Rogue. Really holds heavy to your theme.

You like the theme I was going for there? A very obvious aura of decay and overwhelming amounts of "don't come near me."