PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Turning VGTM Goblinoids Into Goblin Subrace

GravityEmblem
2022-03-12, 01:23 PM
I'm rewriting Goblins, Hobgoblins, and Bugbears as subraces of a unified Goblin race, mostly for lore reasons. I decided to give "Goblins" +2 Con, Darkvision, and the Hobgoblin Saving Face ability. The "Green Goblin" subrace (based on the traditional little guys) gets +1 Dex, and the Sneaky and Surprise Attack abilities from Bugbear. Bugbears get +1 Strength, Long-Limbed, and Powerful Build. Hobgoblins get +1 Int, their Weapon Training, and also a Homebrew ability I call "Strategic Strike," which lets them add their Intelligence modifier to damage when they have advantage.

I'm not concerned with absolute balance--it's ok if one of these subraces is superior to the other, or if an ability is a little broken, but I don't want it to be ridiculous. The Strategic Strike is the main point of contention. I mostly based it off the Goblin's "Fury of the Small" ability. Instead of a big damage bonus (your level) under common circumstances (against medium or bigger creatures) once per long rest, it's a small damage bonus (Int bonus) under less common circumstances (advantage) all the time.

So, what do you think?

LibraryOgre
2022-03-12, 01:44 PM
I'm rewriting Goblins, Hobgoblins, and Bugbears as subraces of a unified Goblin race, mostly for lore reasons. I decided to give "Goblins" +2 Con, Darkvision, and the Hobgoblin Saving Face ability. The "Green Goblin" subrace (based on the traditional little guys) gets +1 Dex, and the Sneaky and Surprise Attack abilities from Bugbear. Bugbears get +1 Strength, Long-Limbed, and Powerful Build. Hobgoblins get +1 Int, their Weapon Training, and also a Homebrew ability I call "Strategic Strike," which lets them add their Intelligence modifier to damage when they have advantage.

I'm not concerned with absolute balance--it's ok if one of these subraces is superior to the other, or if an ability is a little broken, but I don't want it to be ridiculous. The Strategic Strike is the main point of contention. I mostly based it off the Goblin's "Fury of the Small" ability. Instead of a big damage bonus (your level) under common circumstances (against medium or bigger creatures) once per long rest, it's a small damage bonus (Int bonus) under less common circumstances (advantage) all the time.

So, what do you think?

Given the 1/rest nature of Fury of the Small, I don't know if "level" is that big of a problem, but you might change it to proficiency bonus, instead, when they have advantage. That seems to be both the standard, and doesn't deprive goblins who aren't smart of their racial ability.

So, basic goblin chassis:

+1 Con
Darkvision
30' walking speed

Bugbear:
+2 str
Long limbed
Powerful build
Sneaky
(no surprise attack; let them be rogues if they want that)

Goblin:
+2 Dex
Nimble Escape
Sneaky strike (prof bonus to damage with advantage, 1/rnd. Stacks with Sneak Attack)

Hobgoblin:
+1 Int, +1 Cha (hobgoblins form large, efficient groups. That's not just intelligence; they have to be able to convince others to work for them. plus, it can help Intimidation)
Modified martial training (3 proficiencies of choice for weapons, shields, or armor)
Saving Face

Incidentally, love the TMBG reference in your sig.