PDA

View Full Version : Chases, Escapes, Retreats, & Player Expectations

Catullus64
2022-03-13, 11:35 AM
Strict application of the movement rules can turn a potentially exciting chase into a dull, predictable affair. Faster creatures always catch up to slower ones, while creatures while creatures with the same speed never close the distance between each other.

To my mind, this text and the thought behind it needs more attention, and should have been more prominently placed in the game rules. My mind was turned to this issue when discussing with some of my players how seldom they run from a fight, even one that they clearly recognize is going wrong. Generally speaking, by the time they realize it's time to run, someone, or multiple someones, is already unconscious and making death saving throws. At that point, running often means leaving someone behind. Opportunity attacks and the problems mentioned by the above quote make players feel that running is generally just a way to die tired.

There's a lesson learned the first time a new player Disengages and moves 30 ft away, only to have the goblin they were fighting move 30 feet forward to keep attacking them; or when they risk the opportunity attack, Dash 60 ft away, only to have the goblin dash 60 feet and close right back into melee. In short, players tend not to retreat enough because the rules condition them not to. An experienced player can pull all kinds of tricks with spells and abilities to facilitate an escape, but I don't think you should need to have that level of system mastery in order to run away.

I don't think this is actually a problem with the rules, however, merely with the running of the game. Simply put, the combat movement rules are for just that: combat. The usual dance of disengages, opportunity attacks, dashes and so forth is quite alright for modeling people moving about in a fight, in between the primary activity of exchanging attacks and spells. It's not a criticism of those rules in themselves, but they are limited in their scope.

How I handle it is that once the party is agreed to retreat, initiative ends. Opportunity attacks are no longer a concern, and we're in a theater-of-the-mind skill challenge to escape, though movement-based abilities may still be relevant. And to counteract the perception that the combat movement rules create, I will tell the players that, "if you guys decide to retreat, we'll end combat and transition to a chase sequence." If some player wants to stand and fight to the finish while others flee, I allow those other players to exit the combat altogether. The same goes for the enemies; if they're routing, pursuit automatically shifts to a skill challenge, though I usually allow the PCs to finish the combat round before pursuit begins.

This is not necessarily an endorsement of the exact chase rules as presented in the DMG, which I think have some problems; but all the same I would strongly advise new DMs to read them and think about how you want to handle retreats and pursuits, because the most basic rules provided in the game might be affecting the ways your players react to danger and defeat.

Trask
2022-03-13, 11:48 AM
I like the idea of the Chase rules in the DMG, but I think DMs should expand on the given list of complications to fit different situations. But the core idea of applying movement, rolling for complications which might slow or stop movement for either party, and the limit that you can only Dash up to 3 times + your Constitution modifier is a good framework on which to build an exciting chase IMO.

A great takeaway observation is that, like you said, combat rounds are limiting when DMs try to apply them to fit all situations. I encourage the use of subsystems or "minigames" for this kind of thing, whether you find them in official sources or have to make them yourself (One such example of this that I use is whenever two characters are having a 1 on 1 duel, I have them roll initiative at the start of every round. I think that adds a level of excitement at minimal time cost since its only two participants).

MoiMagnus
2022-03-13, 12:31 PM
In one of my previous campaign, we had a set of houserules who happened to make retreat much more safe and interesting. The situation was the following:

Tier 2 & 3 game, with a LOT of spellcasters (There was a total 8 players in two teams of 4 in this campaign, for a total of 9 PCs. Spellcasting was 1*third, 2*half and 6*full).
Dimensional door houseruled to be able to be cast at higher level (+1 person teleported per level).
Houserule that unconscious/dying bodies are considered as "objects", so you can carry them as object with dimensional door
Counterspell banned (meaning that no one can counter a dimensional door)

Those were not the only changes, but that's the gist of it. And as a consequence of those changes, there has been a lot of running away by teleportation, often with at least one fallen teammate. I'd note that just teleporting away was not enough and a sequence of skill checks and/or other spells were necessary to reach safety. But that was enough to break away from the fight.

(A few of our teleportation chases were at the middle of a dungeon, jumping from deadly traps to dangerous enemies randomly, one of them against an opponent that also had Dimensional Door. But the most notable one was probably the escape from the wedding of one of the PCs that went very badly as the local government was overthrown during the ceremony.)

Sparky McDibben
2022-03-13, 01:42 PM
I don't think this is actually a problem with the rules, however, merely with the running of the game. Simply put, the combat movement rules are for just that: combat. The usual dance of disengages, opportunity attacks, dashes and so forth is quite alright for modeling people moving about in a fight, in between the primary activity of exchanging attacks and spells. It's not a criticism of those rules in themselves, but they are limited in their scope.

How I handle it is that once the party is agreed to retreat, initiative ends. Opportunity attacks are no longer a concern, and we're in a theater-of-the-mind skill challenge to escape, though movement-based abilities may still be relevant. And to counteract the perception that the combat movement rules create, I will tell the players that, "if you guys decide to retreat, we'll end combat and transition to a chase sequence." If some player wants to stand and fight to the finish while others flee, I allow those other players to exit the combat altogether. The same goes for the enemies; if they're routing, pursuit automatically shifts to a skill challenge, though I usually allow the PCs to finish the combat round before pursuit begins.

Does this apply for the monsters, too? If they run and the PCs pursue, how do you adjudicate that? I only ask because that's a problem I don't see discussed here very much, and I'm curious how you handle it.

I handle the PCs retreating similarly unless there's a reason not to (their backs are to the wall, for example). If they are pursued, I may call for Dex saves vs arrows (1d6 - 2d6 damage per targeted PC, success halves), and I'll compare speeds to see if the PCs can get away. For example, if the slowest PC's movement is 25 feet, and they're being chased by worgs with a 50 foot movement speed, then I'll throw it to the PCs. I'll explain that if this is just a flat out sprint, they'll lose, so how do they go about shaking pursuit? And if they can't shake pursuit, I'll try to figure out what the pursuers want. Are they out for blood? Do they just want the party to go away? Do they want to follow the party back and see where their camp is? It creates variable outcomes and rewards the PCs for thinking not just tactically, but strategically.

Catullus64
2022-03-13, 06:19 PM
Does this apply for the monsters, too? If they run and the PCs pursue, how do you adjudicate that? I only ask because that's a problem I don't see discussed here very much, and I'm curious how you handle it.

I feel like I answered that question in the last sentence of the excerpt you quoted. Monsters fleeing is handled the same way as PCs, as a theater-of-the-mind chase sequence skill challenge. The most significant difference is that I usually let the PCs finish the combat round even after the monsters rout, so they can inflict a few extra casualties.

This is assuming that the monsters are routing. If they're instead making a careful, tactical retreat to another position in a dungeon with reinforcements, I generally stick to initiative.

Sparky McDibben
2022-03-13, 11:40 PM
I feel like I answered that question in the last sentence of the excerpt you quoted. Monsters fleeing is handled the same way as PCs, as a theater-of-the-mind chase sequence skill challenge. The most significant difference is that I usually let the PCs finish the combat round even after the monsters rout, so they can inflict a few extra casualties.

This is assuming that the monsters are routing. If they're instead making a careful, tactical retreat to another position in a dungeon with reinforcements, I generally stick to initiative.

Ah, OK. So you signpost that the monsters are maintaining cohesion through mechanics and narrative. That's a neat take!

Tanarii
2022-03-14, 07:36 AM
House rule I introduced was as long as the PCs aren't intermixed in melee, a player can call for a retreat. All PCs retreat 30ft. Enemies can choose to pursue if they like. That's my choice as a DM. If they do, I move the enemies up 30ft, and we start the action again with the guy who called for the retreat. Effectively, unless there's very limited room to retreat, the player calling for it is just doing a "will they let us go" check.

Enemies can do the same. PCs seem loath to let them go. I've had a few blunder into ambushes/extended fights because of that. But usually it means they wipe them out. 5e definitely lends itself to a 'wipe them out' player philosophy unless they have good reason not to. In 4e for example, you might let them go so you could take a 5 min short rest. In 5e taking an hour long short rest invites counter-attack from reinforcements, so it's best to eliminate current enemies before taking one.