PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Boss Monster TBD-Seeking Inspiration

JNAProductions
2022-03-13, 12:17 PM
I make big bad boss beefs. Y'all know that if you've been around this subforum a while.

But I always make them CR 20, 25, 30-you know, super high. 20th level threats.

I want to make a big bad boss beef that's NOT a T4 threat. Maybe late T2, early T3. But I could use some inspiration on what exactly to make. I can do the mechanics, but flavor is somewhat harder for me to create, at least in this instance.

Any help? :)

Loek
2022-03-13, 03:47 PM
Personally I'm a sucker for 3.5 template style shenanigans. So half things, things infused with elements. That kind of thing.

A giant version of creature X is a video game staple for a reason, and I love giant monsters. So a Goblinoid giant runs the local hive. (Or have basic boss X have a second phase, where it hulks out)
The next leg of the campaign is going to be artifact/artificer/ancient city heavy? Make that beasty half-golem. Slap some armor/metal muscles/shiny bits on them. Make them have some weird quirks due to it, but also give them a few golem like abilities to shock your players with.
If in doubt, just add an element. Ogres hit things... now they are hit things, set things on fire from a distance and have resistance to fire. (Or lightning, or for additional weirdness, necrotic - which would work if they also use some undead minions mixed in with their normal minions. Maybe they are a failed undead themselves? Or a failed necromancer?)
And a personal favorite of mine: Psionics. What's currently in the game can only be called psionics if you squint real hard. But adding telekinesis (mostly like the feat, but occasionally like the spell) to a faction can really set them apart. While their leader (who might otherwise be mostly a melee dude) can have a set of spell like abilities that represent the usual psionics (mage hand, telekinesis, read thoughts, levitation, shield, etc)
And, this one is almost as cheesy as the giant version one, "Clone" is a great idea to instantly create tie-in beasties. Have a weaker version of the end game boss, with a different personality/name/scars/maybe even skill set as the end boss. Make it different enough (and also in-game separated enough) that it's not instantly obvious, but drop some hints eventually and reward the player that remembers that the weaker version was hard of hearing/afraid of fire and uses that against the big bad at the end.

JNAProductions
2022-03-13, 03:52 PM
Personally I'm a sucker for 3.5 template style shenanigans. So half things, things infused with elements. That kind of thing.

A giant version of creature X is a video game staple for a reason, and I love giant monsters. So a Goblinoid giant runs the local hive. (Or have basic boss X have a second phase, where it hulks out)
The next leg of the campaign is going to be artifact/artificer/ancient city heavy? Make that beasty half-golem. Slap some armor/metal muscles/shiny bits on them. Make them have some weird quirks due to it, but also give them a few golem like abilities to shock your players with.
If in doubt, just add an element. Ogres hit things... now they are hit things, set things on fire from a distance and have resistance to fire. (Or lightning, or for additional weirdness, necrotic - which would work if they also use some undead minions mixed in with their normal minions. Maybe they are a failed undead themselves? Or a failed necromancer?)
And a personal favorite of mine: Psionics. What's currently in the game can only be called psionics if you squint real hard. But adding telekinesis (mostly like the feat, but occasionally like the spell) to a faction can really set them apart. While their leader (who might otherwise be mostly a melee dude) can have a set of spell like abilities that represent the usual psionics (mage hand, telekinesis, read thoughts, levitation, shield, etc)
And, this one is almost as cheesy as the giant version one, "Clone" is a great idea to instantly create tie-in beasties. Have a weaker version of the end game boss, with a different personality/name/scars/maybe even skill set as the end boss. Make it different enough (and also in-game separated enough) that it's not instantly obvious, but drop some hints eventually and reward the player that remembers that the weaker version was hard of hearing/afraid of fire and uses that against the big bad at the end.

Hrm...

Giant Goblin feels like a reskinned Ogre. :P
Half-golem, though, brings to mind the Emerald Legion. Obviously a full-on Emerald Legionnaire is NOT an early T3 threat, but that's a good place to go for inspiration at least.

Thanks for the ideas! :)

Loek
2022-03-13, 03:56 PM
Giant Goblin feels like a reskinned Ogre. :P

I think in my brain, it was more Barghest :-p. Though I see they are only CR 4 :-/ I have a much stronger critter in my head when I think of that.
But also, there are the "Queens" of "Girl Genius". Who are very magical and as part of that, also very big.

But yeah, the easiest big goblin is basically an ogre, but painted green and with a pointy nose/ears.

Which reminds me of the next thing, that can also be awesome: Dragonlance's Ogre Titans! (Basically a mix of elf and ogre and magical bad ass)