PDA

View Full Version : How would you escape from a portable hole?

SangoProduction
2022-03-13, 04:42 PM
Brought up in one of my more recent threads. It's an interesting question, or at least I thought so. Say you were convinced of the maneuver, or fell into a pit trap.
Obviously, if it's open, you just walk or otherwise directly travel out.
But what if it's closed? It's an extradimensional space. What would help in this situation? I think crafting a bag of holding while inside could possibly be a gambit worth taking, if you can sustain the air.

Pathfinder offers this explanation of extradimensional spaces

A number of spells and magic items utilize extradimensional spaces, such as rope trick, a bag of holding, a handy haversack, and a portable hole. These spells and magic items create a tiny pocket space that does not exist in any dimension. Such items do not function, however, inside another extradimensional space. If placed inside such a space, they cease to function until removed from the extradimensional space. For example, if a bag of holding is brought into a rope trick, the contents of the bag of holding become inaccessible until the bag of holding is taken outside the rope trick. The only exception to this is when a bag of holding and a portable hole interact, forming a rift to the Astral Plane, as noted in their descriptions.

Gruftzwerg
2022-03-13, 10:06 PM
I did give this a thought when creating my Orochimaru build. He can get access to Swallow Whole and I've given him a permanent Hoard Gullet (extra dimensional space).

Imho you need some kind of Teleport to get out. Otherwise you are going to suffocate and die.

Doctor Despair
2022-03-13, 10:31 PM
Does Plane Shift not do it? If not, Shadow Well then Plane Shift

Telonius
2022-03-14, 08:26 AM
Transdimensional spell, Suggestion, "You really ought to pull me out now."

Jack_Simth
2022-03-14, 11:19 AM
Transdimensional spell, Suggestion, "You really ought to pull me out now."

Good luck with targeting.

Plane Shift, Dismissal, Banishment, Shadow Walk, Gate... basically anything that gets you from one plane to another (Dimension Door, Teleport, and so on won't help, though).

Unclear if you can unfold it from the inside, but worth trying if you're a mugglle without suitable items.

ben-zayb
2022-03-14, 09:45 PM
For the truly desperate, simply utter:
Pazuzu
Pazuzu
Pazuzu

Kurald Galain
2022-03-15, 03:31 AM
One of the lower-level options is the aptly named spell Anywhere But Here.

Jack_Simth
2022-03-15, 07:09 AM
One of the lower-level options is the aptly named spell Anywhere But Here.

Pathfinder specific spell....
Anywhere But Here: "Level magus 4, psychic 4, sorcerer/wizard 4, summoner 4, witch 4"
Vs. Dismissal: "Level cleric/oracle 4, inquisitor 4, shaman 4, sorcerer/wizard 5, summoner 4, unchained summoner 5; Bloodline abyssal 5"
... and Dismissal has a much better chance of getting you somewhere reasonably safe (80% for your home plane, 20% for elsewhere... vs. Anywhere But Here which is all "elsewhere"), and also lets you try again as long as you've got the spell available (vs. ABH which you can effectively only cast 1/day no matter how many times you prepared it).

Kurald Galain
2022-03-15, 07:32 AM
Dismissal has a much better chance of getting you somewhere reasonably safe
ABH states that it will always place you somewhere not inherently harmful, and affects the whole party. But yeah, Dismissal is on more lists.

Jack_Simth
2022-03-15, 08:20 AM
ABH states that it will always place you somewhere not inherently harmful, and affects the whole party. But yeah, Dismissal is on more lists.

Oh, you're not going to land in an active volcano or anything, but if you land in the Abyss and don't have better planar travel options... how long are you going to stay safe?

sleepyphoenixx
2022-03-15, 12:25 PM
Does Plane Shift not do it? If not, Shadow Well then Plane Shift

Plane Shift (and most other teleportation spells) requires you to be in a space coterminous with the Astral Plane, Shadow Well (and any other shadow spell) requires being coterminous to the Shadow Plane, so neither of those would work i think (the rules for that are in MotP iirc).

Banishment and Dismissal just send you to your home plane from anywhere though so they should work fine.
Since they also don't have the [Teleportation] descriptor they also function through Forbiddance, Dimension Lock etc. so it's not a bad idea to keep one in reserve anyway.

At least in 3.5, i'm not sure if the planar interaction rules in PF are the same.