PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next The Executor, a lawful themed subclass

Tecatin
2022-03-13, 10:42 PM
Hi folks, wanted to build a warlock focused on magical contracts and law, came up with the following. For those critiquing, I'm gonna give a few mentions of what I wanted to accomplish:

1. Rules for power - The main theme of this class is that in acting in accordance with your agreements, you gain power.
2. Law as control: law is about rules, force, and control, and processes. The names, and abilities of the spell list are meant to tie in law to civilization, and advancement, but also exerting will on others, whether they like it or not.

With that in mind, here's the class features:

Expanded Spells - follows same rules as other warlock subclasses (added to spell list, need to choose to learn or not)

1st level spells: magic missile, sanctuary
2nd level spells: Calm Emotions, Warding Bond
3rd level spells: Protection from Energy, Spirit Guardians
4th level spells: Compulsion, Fabricate
5th level spells: Dispel Evil and Good, Wall of Force

1st level:

Bonus Cantrips:
At 1st level, you learn the mending and encode thoughts cantrips. They count as warlock cantrips for you, but they don’t count against your number of cantrips known.

Magical Contract
At 1st level you have gained the ability to create order out of chaos via a special book, your magical contract. The Book takes on an appearance of your choice, has an AC of 10+ your charisma modifier, and HP equal to your warlock level + your charisma modifier. If it is ever destroyed the contract can be reconjured at the end of a short or long rest - doing so destroys the previous copy of the contract, which disintegrates into nothing.
You can cast the Protection from good and evil or Command Spells, without expending a spell slot and without material components and without preparing the spell provided you use the contract as focus. You can cast spells in this way a number of times equal to your Charisma modifier (minimum of once), and you regain all expended uses when you finish a long rest.

6th level: Tireless Efficiency

Starting at 6th level your link to your patron helps you better embody the abilities of order - you are more persistent and alert, always looking to enforce order and gain the following benefits
When you finish a short rest you regain uses of your Magical Contract up to half your proficiency bonus (rounded up).
You gain a bonus to Initiative Rolls equal to your Charisma Modifier.

10th Level: Bound By Contract
At 10th level you discover a clause in your contract that improves the magic given to you.
Choose 1 of these 2 Options upon completing a long rest: you may change which of these features you receive on a long rest.

When you Cast the Command Spell with your Magical Contract the spell works on constructs, plants, and animals and you can cast it as a bonus action. Additionally, you are now considered as speaking under the effect of tongues if you talk while holding your contract.
When you Cast Protection from evil and good with your magical contract the range increases to 90 ft, and you can cast it as a bonus action. Additionally you gain advantage on concentration checks while the spell is active.

14th level: Eminent Domain

When you hit a creature or construct with an attack, or a creature fails a saving throw from a spell or effect you created, you can spend a usage of your magical contract to grant it disadvantage on the next saving throw it makes if it was an attack roll, or advantage to the next creature who makes an attack against it if it was a saving throw.
When you roll initiative and have no uses of magical contracts remaining you regain one use.

Please let me know any thoughts, I want to have some players at my table try this out, and if there's any formatting issues.
thanks,
- Tec.

Loek
2022-03-14, 11:31 AM
Expanded Spells
There are 3 spells in this list that sort of bother me.
Magic Missile - Very iconic magic, but kinda boring/similar to Eldritch blast, won't add much to the Warlock, nor to the flavor of this subclass
Fabricate - Again it doesn't really seem to fit the theme, but more importantly, the whole "gets spells back on short rest" warlock thing, means they can massively productive with this one. Maybe too much so.
Wall of Force - I love this spell and my recent Telekinetic based warlock subclass also wanted this one, but it's too powerful to be able to cast this at least once per combat, all day long. (Even outside of the many MANY things it can do creatively, just blindly cutting encounters in to two every single encounter is WAY too overpowered.

Suggestions to replace them:

Sleep (1st), Absorb Elements (1st) or Detect Evil and Good (1st)
Control Water (4th), Death Ward (4th), Dominate Beast (4th) or Locate Creature (4th)
Modify Memory (5th), Dominate Person (5th) or Antilife Shell (5th)

Magical Contract
Interesting, almost feels more like a pact thing, then a patron... but then again, so did the Hexblade/Genie.
Sort of feels like a big boost at level 1, but beyond that it quickly becomes merely okay.
And the concentration on Protection and action to cast on both should keep things from getting too bad.
PS: The section on "without preparing the spell" is redundant as Warlocks don't need to prepare spells.

Tireless Efficiency
This one has a bit of a flavor/name vs actual ability issue. Tireless and regaining uses is one thing. But efficiency and just being a bit quicker on the draw... not so much.
As for the actual abilities: The regaining of uses... seems okay ish. It kind of massively increases the amount of spells a warlock gets to cast, but so do several invocations. I think I'd go with rounding it down though (as many things are in 5e). Also, maybe it should be like the wizard regain spell slot thing, limited to one such refill per long rest?
As for the initiative bonus... I think I'd go more to something about checks to stave off exhaustion or something. Forced marches/horrible conditions/maybe even lack of sleep?

Bound By Contract
For the first ability... does this mean you only get the speaking part, not the understand part of tongues?
Also, keep in mind that a permanent version of Tongues is a level 13 monk feat (on it's own).
Maybe make it comprehend languages instead?

For the second ability, the range seems... a bit massive. Keep in mind that a paladin's aura's (though always on) are 10 ft, increasing to 30ft at level 18. So boosting this to 90ft at level 10 seems... like a very big deal. I'd limit it to 10ft, with maybe an increase at a higher level to 20/30ft tops.
(Alternatively, if you meant you can cast it at someone from 90ft away... then I don't really get the advantage on concentration checks... though, since this is a concentration spell, it's just to make it less likely to break down I guess)
So yeah, if aura, limit it please. If ranged spell, clarify please.

Eminent Domain
The first ability is interesting, as it encourages diversification of attack methods. But the sentences are... a doozy. I'd split it into 2 sentences. One on hitting the enemy, the second on them failing a saving throw versus you.
The second ability.. isn't bad really... but it's the 3rd method for the warlock to regain spells. (Short rest for warlock slots, short rest for contract and now on combat if you used em all). To be honest, if someone is throwing that much protection and commands around, they need to take the occasional chill pill, instead of getting more easy ways to cast more. I'd drop this second ability completely.

Overall:
An interesting direction, I like it. I do think it needs some work though.
The most immediately important things to look at being the expanded spell list and the level 10 ability.

Tecatin
2022-03-14, 08:33 PM
Expanded Spells
There are 3 spells in this list that sort of bother me.
Magic Missile - Very iconic magic, but kinda boring/similar to Eldritch blast, won't add much to the Warlock, nor to the flavor of this subclass
Fabricate - Again it doesn't really seem to fit the theme, but more importantly, the whole "gets spells back on short rest" warlock thing, means they can massively productive with this one. Maybe too much so.
Wall of Force - I love this spell and my recent Telekinetic based warlock subclass also wanted this one, but it's too powerful to be able to cast this at least once per combat, all day long. (Even outside of the many MANY things it can do creatively, just blindly cutting encounters in to two every single encounter is WAY too overpowered.

Suggestions to replace them:

Sleep (1st), Absorb Elements (1st) or Detect Evil and Good (1st)
Control Water (4th), Death Ward (4th), Dominate Beast (4th) or Locate Creature (4th)
Modify Memory (5th), Dominate Person (5th) or Antilife Shell (5th)

Magical Contract
Interesting, almost feels more like a pact thing, then a patron... but then again, so did the Hexblade/Genie.
Sort of feels like a big boost at level 1, but beyond that it quickly becomes merely okay.
And the concentration on Protection and action to cast on both should keep things from getting too bad.
PS: The section on "without preparing the spell" is redundant as Warlocks don't need to prepare spells.

Tireless Efficiency
This one has a bit of a flavor/name vs actual ability issue. Tireless and regaining uses is one thing. But efficiency and just being a bit quicker on the draw... not so much.
As for the actual abilities: The regaining of uses... seems okay ish. It kind of massively increases the amount of spells a warlock gets to cast, but so do several invocations. I think I'd go with rounding it down though (as many things are in 5e). Also, maybe it should be like the wizard regain spell slot thing, limited to one such refill per long rest?
As for the initiative bonus... I think I'd go more to something about checks to stave off exhaustion or something. Forced marches/horrible conditions/maybe even lack of sleep?

Bound By Contract
For the first ability... does this mean you only get the speaking part, not the understand part of tongues?
Also, keep in mind that a permanent version of Tongues is a level 13 monk feat (on it's own).
Maybe make it comprehend languages instead?

For the second ability, the range seems... a bit massive. Keep in mind that a paladin's aura's (though always on) are 10 ft, increasing to 30ft at level 18. So boosting this to 90ft at level 10 seems... like a very big deal. I'd limit it to 10ft, with maybe an increase at a higher level to 20/30ft tops.
(Alternatively, if you meant you can cast it at someone from 90ft away... then I don't really get the advantage on concentration checks... though, since this is a concentration spell, it's just to make it less likely to break down I guess)
So yeah, if aura, limit it please. If ranged spell, clarify please.

Eminent Domain
The first ability is interesting, as it encourages diversification of attack methods. But the sentences are... a doozy. I'd split it into 2 sentences. One on hitting the enemy, the second on them failing a saving throw versus you.
The second ability.. isn't bad really... but it's the 3rd method for the warlock to regain spells. (Short rest for warlock slots, short rest for contract and now on combat if you used em all). To be honest, if someone is throwing that much protection and commands around, they need to take the occasional chill pill, instead of getting more easy ways to cast more. I'd drop this second ability completely.

Overall:
An interesting direction, I like it. I do think it needs some work though.
The most immediately important things to look at being the expanded spell list and the level 10 ability.

Hey, thanks for the feedback. Wanted to give some more thoughts on spell list:

1. Fabricate is on there because of the idea of law as civilization building. you follow the rules, you craft objects to fit societal needs, whether that's weapons, shields, prisons or homes. I agree that fabricate on a short rest can be very powerful, but also I don't think it'll break up fights too much. Frankly I kind of love the idea that these embodiments of law and order are amazing at building (simple) things, even if its not capable of doing teleport/wish level shenaniganery.
2. Magic Missle was on there because while yes its iconic, its also very orderly. No saving throw, no attack rolls, you exert magical force, and the enemy takes damage unless they shield. IMO it just feels very lawful and flavorful in that way. That said detect evil and good may be a good replacement, I just didn't want 2 utility spells at first level. Gotta make players feel like there's a tanginble cool thing they can do that other warlocks can't ya know?
3. Wall of force may need to be replaced, though I dislike the idea of "order" going around altering peoples minds/memories, though it is fitting. Fair points.

For the 6th level ability; I may rename it to constant vigilance or semper fi or some such - some name to emphasize that the law is always around, always watching one way or another, with an imitative boost to show that order will be held, and the extra contract usage to be more powerful. Rounding down may be a good idea, but I'll probably test it first IMO.

The 10th level ability
No, it does not give the understanding part of laws. This way tongues is still worth casting outside of combat, but in fights command doesn't have to worry about the language barrier any more. That's the intent at least, even if the wording doesn't match.
Yes the range is massive and may need toning down, probs to 30 ft. yes the point of concentration is to make it a more reliable spell. its not necessary, but I figured it was a good extra incentive to use it.

14th Level ability:

Here's some rewording: When you successfully hit a creature with an attack roll, they gain disadvantage on the next saving throw they make against your spells, until the end of your next turn. When a creature fails a saving throw for one of your spells, you gain advantage on the next attack roll you make against them, until the end of your next turn.

as for the regen: I'm personally inclined to keep that. magical contracts, much like samurai fighting spirit, arcane arrows, and maneuvers is the central conceit of the subclass, so I felt having it always be an option once in combat is a good way to round out the class, alongside making those contracts more likely to go off as enemies get more powerful.

Loek
2022-03-15, 12:07 PM
1. Fabricate is on there because of the idea of law as civilization building. you follow the rules, you craft objects to fit societal needs, whether that's weapons, shields, prisons or homes. I agree that fabricate on a short rest can be very powerful, but also I don't think it'll break up fights too much. Frankly I kind of love the idea that these embodiments of law and order are amazing at building (simple) things, even if its not capable of doing teleport/wish level shenaniganery.

2. Magic Missle was on there because while yes its iconic, its also very orderly. No saving throw, no attack rolls, you exert magical force, and the enemy takes damage unless they shield. IMO it just feels very lawful and flavorful in that way. That said detect evil and good may be a good replacement, I just didn't want 2 utility spells at first level. Gotta make players feel like there's a tanginble cool thing they can do that other warlocks can't ya know?

While I can see both of these, the problem is that "law"/"orderly"/"civilization" are massively broad concepts. So much so that pretty much everything can be made to fit in it (unless actively opposed). Rules and control are two words you mentioned that are associated with these topics, but are far less broad. And I would recommend focusing on that to make it feel more tightly themed (and avoid giving "anything you wanna do" options).

For the 6th level ability; I may rename it to constant vigilance

Oh, that sounds much better.

The 10th level ability
No, it does not give the understanding part of laws. This way tongues is still worth casting outside of combat, but in fights command doesn't have to worry about the language barrier any more. That's the intent at least, even if the wording doesn't match.

I hadn't even considered that part... Makes me feel it's even more powerful.
Instead, how about changing it so that command now has a CHANCE of working when you don't speak a language they understand (Say, give them advantage for the save, instead of auto failing).
It can then be fluffed so that, you radiate so much authority, that even a language barrier doesn't always stop you.

Also, I don't think that constructs/plants/animals are unable to be targeted by Command normally (except for the language known bit... which this feature is already trying to fix). So no need to mention them.

14th Level ability:
Here's some rewording: When you successfully hit a creature with an attack roll, they gain disadvantage on the next saving throw they make against your spells, until the end of your next turn. When a creature fails a saving throw foragainst one of your spells, you gain advantage on the next attack roll you make against them, until the end of your next turn.

Minor wording fix above. Also, two things seem to have changed: No more usage of your contract. And only you get advantage against them (I like this second change)

as for the regen: I'm personally inclined to keep that. magical contracts, much like samurai fighting spirit, arcane arrows, and maneuvers is the central conceit of the subclass, so I felt having it always be an option once in combat is a good way to round out the class, alongside making those contracts more likely to go off as enemies get more powerful.

I get where you are coming from, but consider this:

Arcane archer - Two uses per short/long rest, regain one from level 15 onwards if you start combat without any uses
Samurai - Three uses per long rest, regain one from level 10 onwards if you start combat without any uses
Executor - Cha mod uses per long rest (3-5), regain half prof mod per short rest (1-3), regain one from level 14 onwards when you start combat without any uses

So uses per day and uses regained (Let's go with level 15, 18 cha, 2 short rests per day, 6 encounters evenly spread out):

Arcane archer - 6 uses, plus 3 regained uses (assuming both normal uses are used in the first encounter after each rest) = 9
Samurai - 3 uses, plus probably 4 regained uses (assuming that they'll use the original 3 in the first encounter) = 7
Exectutor - 4 uses, plus 4-6 regained uses from short rests, plus a potential 3 more from the level 14 feature = between 8 and 13

Granted, written out like this, it becomes clearer that they probably won't be regaining their Contract uses all that often... but that's because they'll only need to when they are spamming it/overusing it. So I remain convinced that 2 regain features is just too much.
(My 3 options: half prof mod per short rest + regain 1 if you have none OR Cha mod per long rest + regain 1 if you have none OR Cha mod per long rest + regain half prof mod per short rest <== note that the last option is already very much better than most other options)

Not to mention that they gain the ability as pretty much the meat of their "subclass" feature for that level (archer gets another shot option, but that's relatively minor that deep into the class), while the Executor gets a pretty powerful ability (which btw syncs with their Contract very neatly) at the same level.