PDA

View Full Version : Player Help How do I play my next character?

Azara5
2022-03-14, 08:57 PM
Hey everyone, I'm going to be starting a new campaign soon, and I rolled up a goblin Oath of the Open Sea paladin. I know that this is a mobility focused subclass, especially when combined with the racial choice. However, I am used to playing frontline tanks like fighters and barbarians, and am unfamiliar with the tactics that I should be using. Would someone who is familiar with more nimble characters such as rogues, monks, or even actual Open Sea paladins be able to offer any advice?

animorte
2022-03-14, 09:16 PM
I think it can still work as a front liner, just keep your melee allies nearby and use the fog cloud to gain advantage in a lot of situations. That could impede the effectiveness of your allies at range though, so definitely consider if your group is more melee or more range focused. If more range focused, you could just save the fog for escape scenarios.

I would also really pay attention to the kind of battlefield hazards your team has access to, that way you can really use your mobility to knock back enemies for greatest results. I love doing this with the Warlock's Repelling Blast.

Of course, really look into the class, I personally wouldn't take it past level 7 (or 8 for ASI). Then multiclassing into something else, probably Battlemaster, and focusing specifically on the maneuvers that shore up the holes in your combat as is. Or maximize what you're already good at.

MarkVIIIMarc
2022-03-14, 09:48 PM
If you have speed and survive-ability going and hitting an enemy caster when they're maintaining concentration is going to be fun. You can also hit their glass cannon or try to catch an escaping enemy. All these are situational though. You may spend half your combats being an okish tank then spring to action.

On an odd note recon vehicles best have some speed so you can recon....as long as you don't get victimized by a Hold Person type event.