PDA

View Full Version : New RN

Extra_Crispy
2007-11-23, 10:26 PM
Well Tuesday I took my test to become an Registered Nurse (the NCLEX). I went in at 0900 and walked out a little after noon.

I PASSED!!

I now have a full RN and will be working as an RN soon. Hopefully at the burn unit. They have an opening, the manager knows I really want to work there and, from a previous interview a long time ago, has told me that he thinks I will be perfact and that he wants me to work there. So hopefully soon I will be exactly where I want to be, a nurse in a burn unit.

hyperfreak497
2007-11-23, 10:41 PM
Why, may I ask, do you wish to work at the burn unit?

adanedhel9
2007-11-23, 10:50 PM
Congrats and good luck! The world needs as many good nurses as it can get.

Gaelbert
2007-11-23, 11:01 PM
Congratulations. I heard that they needed more nurses.

StickMan
2007-11-23, 11:14 PM
Wow you want to work in the burn unit thats some hard stuff that comes through. Honestly just being able to deal with that kind of thing is heroic.

Remember no matter how hard you try, cure light wounds does not work in the real world.

Congrats,

Stickman

SDF
2007-11-23, 11:33 PM
Good job, we definitely need more nurses.

Extra_Crispy
2007-11-23, 11:49 PM
Wow you want to work in the burn unit thats some hard stuff that comes through. Honestly just being able to deal with that kind of thing is heroic.

Remember no matter how hard you try, cure light wounds does not work in the real world.

Congrats,

Stickman

Ya well I can keep trying it.

Hyperfreak -- I want to work in the burn unit as I am a burn surviver. I was burned badly in a car accident when I was 18. Around 65% of my body was burned with around 40% being 3rd degree. I not only know alot about burns but I want to help others the way I was helped. Being there with people that are burned and being able to understand what they are going through (some as each and everyone of us goes through things differently) will not only help them but help me.:smallbiggrin:

Also please feel free to ask me anything (espically about my accident if you want) I am a pretty open guy and dont mind talking about stuff

Thanks everyone for the congrats

hyperfreak497
2007-11-24, 12:08 AM
Well, that explains the username...

I'm very sorry to hear about your injury, and I'm amazed to hear that you channel that injury in such a positive way. :smalleek: Just thinking about the skin grafts that must've been involved makes me shiver...

Congrats on working on this the way you have!

Midnight Son
2007-11-24, 12:13 AM
Way to go, man!

I hope that, when the people who you're helping see you, it'll help them realize that their life isn't, in fact, over. I know that if that happened to me, I'd be feeling like there's nothing left for me, but having a survivor there to show me what could be would be a big help.

phoenixineohp
2007-11-24, 12:26 AM
Awesome! I am so happy for you and very impressed at what you have decided to do after the accident. I can't imagine a better way to help the patients or a better applicant for the position. I just hope that seeing all the new people coming in doesn't get you down.

Good work and good luck with the job!

Extra_Crispy
2007-11-24, 01:14 AM
Thank you

Yes Hyperfreak the skin grafts were bad, the bandage changes were worse. Espically since I built up such a tolerance to morphine that it was basically like giving me water, absolutly no pain relief. I built up that tolerance in less than 2 months. I could never be a drug addict, my body would just get immune to it. :smallwink:

That is one reason why I want to be in the burn unit Midnight Son. A burn patient that was leaving the hospital where I recieved my burn care came to my room to talk to me about things. Seeing him leaving the hospital under his own power helped. That is what I want to do with other burn patients, show them that there is a future you just have to work at it (just like everything else in life)

Phoenixineohp -- I dont think it will get me down. Many people have said the same thing or were worried that it would give me flash backs of sorts. I dont think it will, my last semester of nursing school I interned on the burn unit. The only thing I might have a problem with is children. I have a problem seeing children hurt, that is why I will never work peds or labor and delivory.

reorith
2007-11-24, 01:34 AM
congrats amigo

Bor the Barbarian Monk
2007-11-24, 02:31 AM
Congrats, EC! May you be a comfort to those in need of your services. :smallsmile:

Kaelaroth
2007-11-24, 04:07 AM
Congratulations. The world needs as many kind and sensible nurses as it can get. :smallsmile:

CrazedGoblin
2007-11-24, 04:38 AM
Congratulations!!!!:smallbiggrin:

SMEE
2007-11-24, 05:05 AM
Congratulations, EC. :smallbiggrin:

That's trully awesome! I'm sure that with your experience and will power, you'll help many burn victims.

Lemur
2007-11-24, 05:23 AM
Good job, we definitely need more nurses.

cue effin' tee.

You're a rad man, EC.

bluewind95
2007-11-24, 01:05 PM
Congratulations indeed! It's a really impressive thing you're doing, helping people like that.

Lord Herman
2007-11-24, 01:48 PM
That's great, ExtraCrispy! Congratulations!

Kitya
2007-11-24, 01:49 PM
Congrats! I know you have been working on this for awhile now, and you're that much closer to fulfilling your dream. I like that you want to not only cure the people, you want to give them emotional therapy as well. Help them see that they can go on with their life. That's just as important as the physical part, since we all know that if someone gives up, their recovery is much much slower.

PS... have a medical question, and I've tried googling it, and I just get overrun wiht stuff that isn't EXACTLY what I'm looking for. I need some info on NK Cells Lymphoma. No I don't have it.. my uncle does, but I want to find out what it is and web MD was less than helpful. If you, or anyone else reading this, knows about it, please pm or email me.

Exeson
2007-11-24, 02:09 PM
That's....that's just so noble! You replace a little bit of my faith in mankind.

Cyrano
2007-11-24, 03:02 PM
For those about to sacrifice their personal lives and dignity to help others in an unfortunately socially stigmatised way, we think you are uber cool and also deserve moneys.
We loves you, EC.

Extra_Crispy
2007-11-27, 03:18 PM
Thank you all, your support is very much appreciated

Kitya -- I dont know what NK cell lymphoma is. Only thing I know from pieceing the words together is lymphoma is cancer of the lymph nodes. (as you probably know) but I have no idea what NK cells are. I will see about looking that up and get back to you if I can figure it out.

Glad I could replace some of your faith in humanity Exeson. I feel that the majority of people are good though there are a lot of really bad eggs. It is kinda strange working in a hospital you can see the worst in people and the best, sometimes at the same time. Maybe it is just me but most of the time I seem to see the best. There have been problem patients before, to the point where they would throw PCTs out of their room just for telling them what to do/how to follow the rules/doctors orders and such. I have never been thrown out of a room, as a matter of fact many of those patients have asked specifically for me to help them even if they have no problems with anyone else.

D'anna Biers you can send the money to me, right now I could really use it.:smallwink:

Aramil Liadon
2007-11-27, 07:12 PM
Yay, new nurse! We need all we can get up here!

I recommend never wearing a shirt.

Cyrano
2007-11-27, 07:24 PM
I would send money but I am 14 and, by definition, a selfish little prick. There are exceptions. I am not one of them.
So, no money for you! Just undying love and a speck of admiration. There might be a pickle in there somewhere. You probably don't want it though.

Thes Hunter
2007-11-29, 11:32 AM
Sorry for the late reply but I haven't been on the internets.

YAY!

CONGRATS!!!!!

*jumps around and is all happy!*

I wish you much luck and I am sure you will make a real difference in people's lives and give the much needed gift of hope to people going through what you survived yourself.