PDA

View Full Version : Undead Cleric - Alignment and Deity

PantherusNZ
2022-03-15, 05:04 AM
I'm joining my first game in a LONG time and the DM has suggested that it might be fun playing a Lebendtod character, abs also that the existing part are really lacking a dedicated healer (they have a paladin and bad who can both pull some duty in that area but a proper cleric or maybe druid would be better). So I'm looking at how to flesh out such a character for a game that is very RP heavy and not a lot of hack & slash. The game is based in Raven loft.

If you don't know, a Lebendtod is a form of undead who retain their previous abilities, making them viable as a PC. The DM has his rules a fair bit but said that the character will essentially be on half XP compared to the rest of the party. My idea is that they were turned in the last, but then a greater power (their deity perhaps, or a representative?) was able to defeat their master and regain control over them. I sought to play them as Lawful Neutral alignment, with a mentality of enforcing balance as a natural existence.

I feel life cleric is a better way to go than druid as I can RP the retaken power better and it sits better than an undead druid...

Where in stuck is which deity to follow, and which domains to choose. Death seemed obvious...but maybe not?
I looked at several options and none seemed to fit, though Mystra is the closest we've found so far. DM has also suggested basically any pantheon of his to choose from, given the nature of Ravenloft. I'm also not completely set on the alignment, but would need to adjust the character idea if that were to change. I'm not interested in playing Evil.

And suggestions would be welcome, please, both for possible deities and cleric domains (or completely alternative options, like how a druid could work).

Thank you

JoeNapalm
2022-03-15, 03:00 PM
Hel, Norse Goddess of Death & Disease, daughter of Loki.

She is depicted as half-living/half-undead, and with death and disease under her dominion, you could sort of squint and say control over these things makes you a decent healer?

She's Neutral Evil, which is arguably only one step removed from Neutral?

Undead Healbot is a tough RP angle, though interesting.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

Tzardok
2022-03-15, 04:15 PM
Jergal sounds like your cup of tea. Wee Jas, Osiris and Nephtys are also open to undead servants if they have the proper attitude. Evening Glory is also a non-evil deity of undeath, but she focuses more on love and beauty than on balance. Hades and Arawn are death gods that care mostly about their job and that it is done correctly than about what kind of being you are.

On the other hand, gods don't involve themselves in Ravenloft, so whatever gave you your free will back is propably not what it pretends to be...

PantherusNZ
2022-03-15, 10:38 PM
Thank you - I've discussed further with the DM and we're going to go with Osiris as that seems to fit well. The alignment of Lawful Good I might adjust to be Lawful Neutral still, under the basis the the pull of a Good deity conflicts with my innate Evilness as an Undead creature, splitting the different to neutral.