View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other New Monster: Dagnabbit

Debihuman
2022-03-15, 01:41 PM
Dagnabbit
Small Magical Beast
Hit Dice: 3d10+3 (19 hp)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 30 ft., Burrow 20 ft.
Armor Class: 15 (+2 Dex, +1 size, +1 natural, +1 dodge), touch 14, flat-footed 12
BAB/Grapple: +3/+3
Attack: Bite +4 melee (1d6)
Full Attack: Bite +4 melee (1d6)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Bucktoothed, Unluck Aura
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision
Saves: Fort +4 , Ref +5 , Will +2
Abilities: Str 10, Dex 14, Con 12, Int 8, Wis 12, Cha 16
Skills: Escape Artist +8, Listen +3, Spot +3
Feats: Alertness, Improved Dodge B From Quintessential Fighter, Improved Grapple
Environment: Temperate Land
Organization: Usually solitary
Challenge Rating: 2
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Always Neutral
Advancement: 4-6 HD (Small) 7-10 HD (Medium)
Level Adjustment: —

Looking somewhat like a comical bucktoothed dog with rabbit ears and tail, a dagnabbit is a menace to those unlucky to be around it.

Dagnabbits speak Common with a heavy lisp due to their malformed teeth.

Bucktoothed (Ex): The large front teeth of dagnabbit cause 1d6 points of damage.

Unluck Aura (Su): A dagnabbit radiates an aura of unluck to a radius of 20 feet. Any creature in this area must roll two d20s whenever a situation calls for a d20 roll (such as an attack roll, a skill check, or a saving throw) and must use the lower of the two results generated. This is a mind-affecting effect that does not work on animals, other dagnabbits, gremlins, goblins, and gnolls. Any character who gains any sort of luck bonus (such as that granted by a luckstone or divine favor) is immune to the dagnabbit’s unluck aura.

Metastachydium
2022-03-15, 03:16 PM
Armor Class: 16 (+2 Dex, +1 s1ze, +1 natural, +2 dodge), touch 15, flat-footed 14

I'm not familiar with the bonus feat (it's 3rd party, right?), so this might be an exception, but shouldn't that dodge bonus be lost alongside the DEX bonus when the thing is flat-footed?

BAB/Grapple: +3/+3
Attack: Bite +4 melee (1d6+1)
Full Attack: Bite +4 melee (1d6+1)

Where does the +1 to damage come from?

Bucktoothed (Ex): The large front teeth of dagnabbit cause 1d6 points of damage.

I'm not sure what this one does.

Unluck Aura (Su): A dagnabbit radiates an aura of unluck to a radius of 20 feet. Any creature in this area must roll two d20s whenever a situation calls for a d20 roll (such as an attack roll, a skill check, or a saving throw) and must use the lower of the two results generated. This is a mind-affecting effect that does not work on animals, other dagnabbits, gremlins, goblins, and gnolls. Any character who gains any sort of luck bonus (such as that granted by a luckstone or divine favor) is immune to the dagnabbitÂ’s unluck aura.

Nice! I like this one. (And now I'm really curious what protects those gremlins, goblins and gnolls. Is it the voiced velar plosive/dentialveolar nasal combination? Are gorgons and gibbering mouthers likewise safe then? So many questions.)

Miss Disaster
2022-03-17, 02:15 PM
Most excellent, as per usual, Debi. No obvious errors - although your size bonus has a subtle typo. Is this critter meant to be a canine version of Bugs Bunny (who is driving Yosemite Sam nuts)?

After looking at your Homebrew Extended Signature .... I now realize I need to comb through all those cool monsters one day while sipping on a mint julep.

Debihuman
2022-03-23, 11:40 AM
I'm not familiar with the bonus feat (it's 3rd party, right?), so this might be an exception, but shouldn't that dodge bonus be lost alongside the DEX bonus when the thing is flat-footed?

Doh! I had to re-read the feat. I was going off memory. It should be +12 as the bonus to Dodge does not stack but you gain the bonus to ALL opponents each round. Dagnabbit!

Where does the +1 to damage come from? That's my error. It should just be 1d6.

Bucktoothed (Ex): The large front teeth of dagnabbit cause 1d6 points of damage. Bucktooth allows a Small creature to use a larger bite than normal. Normally small critters have d4 for bites; see Dog for example.

Debby

Debihuman
2022-03-23, 11:50 AM
Most excellent, as per usual, Debi. No obvious errors - although your size bonus has a subtle typo. Is this critter meant to be a canine version of Bugs Bunny (who is driving Yosemite Sam nuts)?

After looking at your Homebrew Extended Signature .... I now realize I need to comb through all those cool monsters one day while sipping on a mint julep.

I think I partly based it on Bugs. Mostly I was having fun with the word Dagnabbit which kinda sounded like dog-rabbit and I went from there. Honestly, I wrote this a long time ago and just forgot about posting it with my other critters.

The unluck aura has the same language as the pugwampi gremlin from Pathfinder.

Enjoy the critters. Let me know if you see any errors. I'm always game to fix things.

Deb