PDA

View Full Version : Modern Day Adventurers

SilverClawShift
2007-11-24, 12:06 AM
So me and my gaming group were sitting around, talking about what might be a fun campaign to play. While we were talking about it, we also wound up talking about local areas that are 'adventerous' for one reason or another (some cave systems and some abandonded warehouses are all we really came up with).
We aren't intending to go poke around these places like morons or anything, we were just chatting. But the conversation did wind up turning to the idea of modern day D&D, when one of our group asked what a 'party' of adventurers would look like in reality. Adventuring parties are almost always a band of misfits that have no real reason to group together except that they're friends, and they can accomplish more together.

This sounded like as good of a campaign idea as any.

So we're planning on starting up a game based on that idea. A bunch of level 1 'misfit' friends on a modern day adventure. We know it's not going to stay 'straight' forever, sooner or later some magic's gonna happen, it's just how we are, but that's still the idea.
The thing is, some of us are having serious trouble with character creation this time around. We're avoiding stuff that's too.... 'adventury' allready, like military or private detective, ect.
In classic D&D, you've got the fighter, the thief, the priest, and the wizard.
So far, we have a Photographer and an Adrenaline Junkie. Both of those really fit with what we're going for with this game, as they're both 'characters' that would have a reason to want to check out a cave system or an abandonded church, they both have a natural tie to equipment that could become relevant...

The problem is, we still have four other players (me included) who are trying to come up with something that'd fit. We allready know that we're all going to be friends at the start of the campaign, and that we're going to be checking out an abandoned factory/warehouse district out of morbid curiosity towards rumors.

So, yeah. If anyone has any bright ideas for what might be a fun modern day adventurers, please feel free to toss out random suggestions. We're trying to avoid "military, cop, gun nut" type ideas, we don't want to be walking into this campaign with an arsenal strapped to our backs. Outside of that, we're not sure.

Behold_the_Void
2007-11-24, 12:25 AM
Are you using D20 Modern? If so, nothing simpler. Just pick the basic class that fits (a more athletic dude is a Strong or Tough Hero, a bookworm is a Smart Hero, etc.) Advanced Classes will fill out what you are later on down the line, you can even pick up magic if you want (3 levels is plenty of time to discover the magic involved in the setting).

Starsinger
2007-11-24, 12:26 AM
School-girl! Seriously... I mean, talk about non-typical adventurer (unless you're a big fan of anime)

The Professor
2007-11-24, 12:30 AM
Cool idea, wish I played with ya.

As far as a character... What about the Dreamer type? Loves reading fantasy/sci-fi books, maybe plays tabletop RPGs (har har). So when they hear about some spooky warehouse/cave system, their imagination goes aflame; that maybe, just maybe, they might have an adventure of their own!

There's my two cents?

Edit: On a side note... Starsinger? I just noticed your sig is a quote from Flea. Rockin'.

VerdugoExplode
2007-11-24, 01:15 AM
I'm going to recommend amateur bowling enthusiast as it's just mundane enough to make an oddly compelling character. Just stay away from any Big Lebowski references and you should be fine.

Irreverent Fool
2007-11-24, 01:41 AM
Gamer/Webhead/Electronics guy. This'd be me. When I was younger I had a vast enthusiasm for all things electronic but not a lot of money to throw around. I was always repairing things, wiring obsolete electronic together, scrounging for parts for my computer, finding ways of accessing the 'net without having to pay long-distance dial-up fees, etc.

Useful skills: repair/jerryrig
Strengths: intellect, manual dexterity
Weaknesses: low physical stamina, obsessiveness

The Extinguisher
2007-11-24, 02:17 AM
I'd say one of those weird guys. That don't care that they're in public, and don't hold back in they're weirdness.

Also, for a modern day adventure, I'd like to see a group take down a corporation. You don't see that too often.

Yami
2007-11-24, 02:33 AM
Go with the Troubled Youth template. Give 'em some driving skills and a bit 'o hotwiring know how, and you know they bring a slew of curiosity and an adventurous nature to the table.

Might I also suggest a stay at home mom? That could provide tons of oppourtunities.

Also never underestimate The Hobo, Man of Adventure! Anyone can be down on their luck in this day and age!

Hmmm, what else... Wandering Musician. Or perhaps not so wandering? Still someone who bounces around trying to make a name for themselves playing (your choice of quality) music would have plenty of oppourtunity to find adventures.

I think I'm done for now.

CthulhuM
2007-11-24, 02:55 AM
Honestly, it could be almost anyone with an odd taste in hobbies. There actually is a reasonably large community (well, maybe not a community so much as a subculture) of people who go exploring abandoned buildings and the like in their spare time - the hobby in general is called Urban Exploration (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urbex).

Seems to me like a group of Urbexing friends would make a great concept for a modern adventuring party. They're the sort of people who really do go out and explore interesting (http://www.forbidden-places.net/urban-exploration-fort-portalet)and creepy (http://www.forbidden-places.net/urban-exploration-hudson-river-state-hospital) places just for the fun of it.

Lemur
2007-11-24, 02:56 AM
The closet renaissance man/woman. A seemingly normal, even boring individual whose constant yet flitting curiosity has led him to learn a vast amount of information over all sorts of topics. The obvious jack of all trades, who always has something useful to the topic at hand, but isn't specialized in anything in particular. Since he doesn't have any defining characteristics, though, he or she never makes a very strong first impression on people. Obvious adventure hook is the desire to learn new things.

The amateur paranormal investigator. I played a character like this in a modern campaign- except it wasn't the kind of modern campaign with any supernatural activity in it. He was just convinced that "there's something out there" and would always be on the lookout for something strange. Sees what he wants to see, even if there's an obvious mundane explanation. Main adventure hook is the search for whatever bizarre phenomenon, creature, or myth he's heard about from, well, wherever he hears this stuff from.

The foreign exchange student/immigrant. Maybe doesn't speak English or understand the culture so well (or maybe does). More of a character aspect to add to an existing concept, since just being foreign doesn't describe a person's interests or abilities, other than speaking multiple languages.

Bayar
2007-11-24, 05:26 AM
The skateboarding fighter. I mean, you can use it as a 1H improvised bludgeoning weapon...and it doubles as a mount, penalty for rough terrain.

Kizara
2007-11-24, 05:47 AM
The hunting and fishing enthusiast.

Character Points:

1) Owns masterwork rifles and possibly a pistol. Owns a variety of knives.
Quite skilled with said weapons.

2) Very skilled at surviving in the wild, getting shelter & food, etc.

3) can repair small things

4) Generally strong, athletic. Often wise.

5) Has a very hard time with most technology, dislikes being indoors.

6) Likely anti-social and somewhat socially inept.

Think crocadile dun-dee meets Col. Jack O'Neil.

hewhosaysfish
2007-11-24, 05:49 AM
If your group are cool RPing it, one of them could play the reluctant significant other of the photographer/adreniline junkie/pot-holer/urban explorer.
You know, like when a gamer tries to get their better half interested in DnD.
Trying to sound sincere while saying "Wow, this abandoned building is so... interesting. All the amazing similarities with all the other abandoned buildings you've been going around looking at all week..."

GolemsVoice
2007-11-24, 06:07 AM
It is something like the significant other, but this time, it's the Boring Friend (tm). Your friends went free-climbing, wrestled bears and got interesting tatoos and/or girlfriends, while you stayed at home. Maybe you envied them, maybe you pitied them. This time, Mr. Action knocks on your door, and tells you that they go out living the real wild life and stuff, and if you would like to come along?
So you, despite yout inner voice telling you to go to bed again, you pack you things, and go adventuring. Wow. Caves. Yeah, that's like, really cool.
And so, you unwilling hero is drawn into a stroy beyonf your imagination!

Copacetic
2007-11-24, 08:09 AM
An archeologst. Just call him Jindana Ones.:smalltongue:

Hario
2007-11-24, 10:14 AM
One of them could make the pot junkie druid who thinks he has an awakened dog as his animal companion. Or just make him a commoner with ranks knowlege herbology and craft bowl. That was all just for laughs, he'd probably be a commoner.

In a game like that I'd have no problem playing the commoner since to have your party survive it'd need to be low combat to ensure the PCs don't die, unless you plan on running a one shot, which is fine.

goat
2007-11-24, 11:36 AM
The younger sibling.

You don't want them there, they don't want to be there, but you have to look after them. It's an easy way to fit in an archetype that would normally never do whatever you're doing, but would still make an interesting character or useful addition to the party.

herrhauptmann
2007-11-24, 12:03 PM
Artist, you get inspiration from the wierdest things. And so you go searcing for the wierdest things.

SurlySeraph
2007-11-24, 02:54 PM
An exterminator. There are plenty of abandoned buildings that stay unsold for a while because no one's bothered to remove the rats that moved in when they were first abandoned.

dyslexicfaser
2007-11-24, 05:46 PM
Try a scuba diver.

Fit, familiar with a setting in which a mistake can be deadly. And what is more adventure-y than exploring a sunken wreck? Salvage rights are pretty easy to acquire.

SilverClawShift
2007-11-24, 07:07 PM
Whoo. Lotta replies, in the interest of not making a 20 page post, I might not reply to everything, but I appreciate everyone who's taken the time to comment so far :smallsmile:

Are you using D20 Modern?

Actually, what we're essentially doing is plain old D&D with NPC classes. We might take some real class levels at some point, depending on how it goes, but likely not.
Which is a shame, cause i'd love to play a Binder in a modern setting :smallamused:

Gamer/Webhead/Electronics guy.

A techie is actually a very good suggestion! A techie would almost be like the modern rogue, success through superior skill.

Hmmm, what else... Wandering Musician.

A wandering musician/street performer/something is a good idea, but it'd probably be too tempting to try to turn them into a modern day bard. That's definately worth a second thought though.

Seems to me like a group of Urbexing friends would make a great concept for a modern adventuring party.

That's basically the idea, only a little less explicit (and it'll probably veer off into a real story sooner or later). The adrenaline junkie is essentially a parkour/rock climber kinda guy.

The closet renaissance man/woman. A seemingly normal, even boring individual whose constant yet flitting curiosity has led him to learn a vast amount of information over all sorts of topics.

That gives me an idea, I think, for what I wouldn't mind my character being. Spooky occult nerd who likes cemeteries and creepy places and such, with an interest in that manner of stuff. Not that it'll be much of a stretch for me roleplaying, but that's kinda the idea here :smallamused:

The amateur paranormal investigator.

It's a good idea, but a little too "the perfect person in the perfect place" setup, same problem as the ex-military guy with a clip of silver bullets. It's just too close to the mark to fit into the theme.

The hunting and fishing enthusiast.

Close, but we're trying to avoid characters who, as a core part of their concept, list "I'm armed".

If your group are cool RPing it, one of them could play the reluctant significant other

It is something like the significant other, but this time, it's the Boring Friend (tm).

The younger sibling.

That's actually a GREAT idea, collectively, for a character. It needs to be an idea mixed on top of something else, because "I don't want to be here" isn't exactly filling a party role... but it's still a darned good idea.

Artist, you get inspiration from the wierdest things. And so you go searcing for the wierdest things.

Another good one. Might be stepping on the photographers toes though.

Lotta good ideas. I'm gonna link the 3 other players who can't decide on a character to this thread to see if they pick up any inspiration, thanks for the help everyone :smallsmile:

Nonah_Me
2007-11-24, 09:08 PM
The Artist doesn't have to neccessarily be stepping on the Photographer's toes. Make the artist not so intrested in realistic portrayals. He loves abstract art, or for something that could very possibly go cliche, make him (or her!) a writer.

A writer actually sounds better. The Photographer and the Writer could know each other because they produce an amatur newsletter (on the intarwebs) about their explorations. Kinda like that show Freaky Links. That could also fit in your techie guy too.

Rimx
2007-11-25, 02:32 AM
Someone interested in historical preservation or local history.

CthulhuM
2007-11-25, 05:54 AM
Well, if you're looking for straight-up character archetypes, then the Doctor is always a handy one to have around. You know the type: mild-mannered podiatrist by day, thrill-seeking explorer by night.

On that note, even if you're not using d20 modern, you might want to grab its rules for non-magical healing via the heal skill. They aren't especially realistic (think along the lines of the "slap some bandages on and he'll be fine in a day or two" trope), but still, you need some kind of healing available, unless your characters are actually going to take a week off every time they get injured.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-11-25, 06:00 AM
The amateur paranormal investigator. I played a character like this in a modern campaign- except it wasn't the kind of modern campaign with any supernatural activity in it. He was just convinced that "there's something out there" and would always be on the lookout for something strange. Sees what he wants to see, even if there's an obvious mundane explanation.

I've always wanted to do a Scooby Doo campaign where all the ghosts are fake.

Manticorkscrew
2007-11-25, 06:22 AM
I've always wanted to do a Scooby Doo campaign where all the ghosts are fake.

That gives me an idea for a character for this kind of game. The Prankster. He/She would get up to all sorts of wacky hijinks in unlikely places: abandoned warehouses, ruined houses, caves and so on, dressing up as ghosts and playing clever tricks on people, just for a laugh.

In a more realistic campaign, this character would seem slightly sinister. After all, most of the tricks are quite cruel, and they could result in nasty accidents. So, maybe this could be an antagonist, if not an outright villain. An extra bit of confusion added into the mix.

Or if you want to play the Prankster as a hero, he/she would be a nicer, more socially-acceptable Rogue (con man/woman?). Maybe, have the Prankster follow the team in order to play a trick on them, get scared at whatever creepy goings-on are already taking place, and join up with the group for mutual protection.

SilverClawShift
2007-11-25, 11:30 AM
Well, if you're looking for straight-up character archetypes, then the Doctor is always a handy one to have around. You know the type: mild-mannered podiatrist by day, thrill-seeking explorer by night.

On that note, even if you're not using d20 modern, you might want to grab its rules for non-magical healing via the heal skill. They aren't especially realistic (think along the lines of the "slap some bandages on and he'll be fine in a day or two" trope), but still, you need some kind of healing available, unless your characters are actually going to take a week off every time they get injured.

None of us have any D20 modern material, but that's a good suggestion, I'm sure there's some rules that'll be very relevant to the stuff we'll be doing. :smallsmile:

Also, one of the other players has decided on being an EMT cause of this thread (presumably your post) which is perfect without being too perfect. So thank you :)

TRM
2007-11-25, 11:59 AM
The Boring Significant Other of Your Younger Sibling!:smallbiggrin:

The_Werebear
2007-11-25, 01:42 PM
Actually, EMT isn't a bad idea for this one, not only because you need the healing, but out of a sense of duty. I know I have gone with my friends on some incredibly stupid things simply because they said to me "we need you because you know the most first aid and keep the coolest head when there is blood around." To which I usually respond with "Then why are you going?" followed by sighing, setting autodial to 911, and grabbing some bandaids.

seedjar
2007-11-25, 01:46 PM
There's a d20 Modern SRD somewhere online, but I always found those classes to be a little uninspiring. You could try some of the archetypes presented in Cyberpunk: 2020. There are technical professions, such as an investigative reporter, medical technician, or mechanic, as well as criminal occupations like hacker, mercenary and fence, and some that fit somewhere in between, like musician (the CP2020 answer to the leadership feat - command a hoard of drunken partygoers with your awesome rockin'-ness) or corporate suit/lawyer type. I think the others are right that, whatever you choose, you should have some good in-character reasons for stirring up trouble.
~Joe

Closet_Skeleton
2007-11-25, 02:09 PM
There's a d20 Modern SRD somewhere online, but I always found those classes to be a little uninspiring.

They're not meant to be inspiring, in d20 modern you're meant to have the character you want to make thought out before you choose your class. Class is an utterly abstract thing in d20 modern. In D&D a fighter can be a Knight, a Mercenary or an archer or whatever but he's still a guy who fights. The Strong Hero in d20 modern is almost a version of fighter, but doesn't have to kill people or fight at all and could be a rock climber or a lumberjack.

daggaz
2007-11-25, 02:16 PM
Heh, I could definitely see this in the guise of a group of backpackers meeting up in some 3rd world country, forced to stick together to survive the crazy conditions, and also just for gits and shiggles.

Yeah, the athletic type, a smarter type, a con-man type, the female type... that would be my party.

DSCrankshaw
2007-11-25, 03:05 PM
None of us have any D20 modern material, but that's a good suggestion, I'm sure there's some rules that'll be very relevant to the stuff we'll be doing. :smallsmile:

Also, one of the other players has decided on being an EMT cause of this thread (presumably your post) which is perfect without being too perfect. So thank you :)
Here you go: d20 Modern SRD (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=d20/article/msrd)

There's a more readable hypertext version here (http://www.12tomidnight.com/d20modernsrd/Home.php).

It's really all you need to play Modern, but it doesn't include campaign material or the accompanying advanced classes. Even if you decide not to play modern rules, it's good material to have for reference.

EDIT: I just realized that the first one contains more material than I thought, including the Campaign specific advanced classes, along with material from Urban Arcana, the Menace Manual, and d20 Future. Not a bad deal at all.

The White Knight
2007-11-25, 03:36 PM
An archeologst. Just call him Jindana Ones.:smalltongue:

This isn't actually as silly an idea as it sounds. You could be an archaeology grad student, looking for something interesting to do your masters thesis on. Not sure what sort of age grouping you'd be looking to fit these characters into, however.

EDIT: in fact, if your whole group consisted of university-aged students, you could cover the usual archetypes quite nicely: med/nursing student (cleric), CompSci/IT student (skill monkey), quantum physicist (mage :P), and kinesiology student (fighter). You've got your fine arts student - the photographer (bard) - and your delinquent friend - the adrenaline junkie (barbarian) - covered already.

Not that this composition makes any sense for what you're looking for, mind you... but it was a fun exercise!

VerdugoExplode
2007-11-25, 03:45 PM
What about a post modern archaeologist?
He searches the world for relics so that he can bury them to be discovered later.