PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a ttrpg with some specific requirements

Heavenblade
2022-03-17, 12:11 AM
Hi all! I just finished running a short 5e game to my younger brothers, and they expressed interest in another game that will be more focused on certain aspects that interest them. So, Im looking for a ttrpg with the following aspects
1. (Requested by the brother who is an avid minecraft player/ - a game with aspects of survival/exploration, and collecting-crafting stuff (a-la minecraft)
2. (Requested by the brother who is a Brandon sanderson fan) - a mechanical system that involves a bit of complex choices, resource managment (In the micro-combat level) - can be magic, but doesnt have to be just the magic.

For the second one, I was thinking about the 7th sea or something similar, but I have no idea about something that combines both.

Ideas?

meschlum
2022-03-17, 12:34 AM
It's an older game, so has its flaws, but you might get something out of "Reve, the Dream Ouroboros (https://www.malcontentgames.com/)".

Players are expected to travel a fair bit, so exploration and supplies are important.

There are four 'schools' of magic, which can work in synergistic ways - one of them is largely focused on enchanting items, with a lot of ways to customize the results, allowing for collecting and crafting.

Magic works by shifting your focus to an alternate plane, which you can explore, and 'prime' parts of to cast spells when you return. So you have an exploration and collecting aspect to it, which feeds into combat - where do you prepare your spells, which ones do you prime, where do you wait to set them off... and this can be adjusted based on what you expect to meet.

Combat is relatively old school, but has a lot of resources to track and options besides setting up tactical magic strikes. When attacking, you decide how complex a maneuver you want to make - the harder it is to pull off, the more trouble your opponent will have avoiding it. As you fight, you get tired (heavier armor speeds this up), which makes it more difficult to go on. When hit, you can suffer a scratch (losing HP but no combat ability), or a wound (impairing your ability to continue).

The setting is quite original too, as is the advancement system (players are the incarnations of dragon dreams, so they'll come back eventually if they die, and advance most easily by remembering what they did in previous lives).

On the minus side, it's an old school non-D&D game, so getting hit is dangerous. The system is somewhat crufty (avoid grappling, as in all games; action advantage kills) but workable. Make sure you know how to swim.