PDA

View Full Version : Dragonic themed sorcerer

Particle_Man
2022-03-17, 01:43 AM
I had an idea which is thematic but might or might not be feasible:

A good human sorcerer 20 who takes only draconic feats (choosing gold for heritage), and, except for cantrips, only spells and feats found in dragon magic, races of the dragon, and the draconimicon. I would have a drakken familiar (snake) and max out bluff.

So is this a feasible themed sorcerer or is it unworkable? I do not mind not being tier 2, but don’t want to be an actual drag on the party either. :smallsmile:

RSGA
2022-03-17, 02:43 AM
If nothing else, you have Arcane Spellsurge, Magic of the Dragonheart, Wings of Cover, Draconic Might, a few ways to breathe out attacks, a +10 to Bluff (and the other major social skils), and the ability to qualify for Multiattack. I'm not sure you'll be efficient at anything, but you have enough power options to do some really nasty stuff at a few levels. The real problem I see is that there's not a lot of focus and of course that some of your power options are Power Words. Which means you need help from allies to use them.

I would also recommend going for Improved Multiattack if I thought you would have the room for it.

Paragon
2022-03-17, 03:04 AM
If you want a more draconic feeling you have options :

Silverblood Human (keep the feat, trade the +1 skill point for a flat +2 disguise and feather fall at will). Refluff as Goldenblood human and base the bonuses and SLA on the Gold Dragon (check the Dragon Shaman class for ideas)

p70 races of the dragon "Draconic Racial Class" and only pick one level there

Dragonblood Sorcerer gives up his familiar for dragonblood and draconic heritage feat (which should be right up your alley)

Saintheart
2022-03-17, 04:21 AM
Dragonheart Mage gives you a couple of bonus draconic feats at the expense of a caster level. Draconic Knowledge has a nice synergy with Knowledge Devotion if you're going that way.

nedz
2022-03-17, 03:32 PM
You're a level 20 Sorcerer with sub-optimal feats — this should be fine.

Check out the Dragonblood Sorcerer Substitution Levels (RotD 107)
Level 1 gives you Draconic Heritage for the cost of your familiar.
Probably ignore the Level 4 option.

You could take the Dragon Wings feat (RotD p100) but you would need to follow that with Improved Dragon Wings (RotD) and probably Improved Flight (several) also; but this is feat intensive and the fly spell, or Flight of the Dragon (SpC) are better.

satorian
2022-03-18, 09:06 AM
I did this with a character years ago, though I went Silverbrow Human and had silver heritage, took the substitution level, etc. I think I went into the Dracolexi prestige class at 6, though. Very effective character, as I remember. Did duty as a face, a library (draconic knowledge heritage feat), and well, sorcerer go boom.

I would advise against draconic wings. You're a sorcerer, so your spells for flight are better than wings.

Blackhawk748
2022-03-18, 10:10 PM
Dragonheart Mage gives you a couple of bonus draconic feats at the expense of a caster level. Draconic Knowledge has a nice synergy with Knowledge Devotion if you're going that way.

Dragonheart Mage is a decent PrC that gets you a bit of durability but isn't mind blowing. But it has class features!

RSGA
2022-03-18, 10:52 PM
Did some more looking, and realized that I hadn't recommended the one-two of Magic of the Dragonheart and the feat Heart of the Dragons. It's expensive to keep going, but at eight Religion that's a swappable Draconic feat for you and up to three others for a day, and for a few hours you get to count as having two more draconic feats, having cast a spell not of second level but CL/2, and you get that CL/2 as a skill bonus to your Heritage Skill.

So at CL 10, this second level spell could potentially have you recovering 5 HP, a +12 Intimidate bonus (only +5 lasting), and flight speed 50 for your move. The only great upgrade would be if it was 1 hour/level (D).

pabelfly
2022-03-18, 11:52 PM
Did some more looking, and realized that I hadn't recommended the one-two of Magic of the Dragonheart and the feat Heart of the Dragons. It's expensive to keep going, but at eight Religion that's a swappable Draconic feat for you and up to three others for a day, and for a few hours you get to count as having two more draconic feats, having cast a spell not of second level but CL/2, and you get that CL/2 as a skill bonus to your Heritage Skill.

So at CL 10, this second level spell could potentially have you recovering 5 HP, a +12 Intimidate bonus (only +5 lasting), and flight speed 50 for your move. The only great upgrade would be if it was 1 hour/level (D).

Am I reading it wrong? Magic of the Dragonheart seems to be 1 hour/level.

RSGA
2022-03-19, 12:35 AM
Am I reading it wrong? Magic of the Dragonheart seems to be 1 hour/level.

You're reading me wrong. I'm saying that it would be better as 1hr/level dismissable spell because that's still an upgrade however minor.

satorian
2022-03-19, 11:39 AM
I think the conclusion here is that the main question asked, whether a heavily draconic themed sorcerer is viable, is answered in the affirmative.

Given that, using some of the Draconic Heritage and substitution level synergies above, going refluffed Silverbrow, taking one prestige class to give you class features (I like Dracolexi, FWIW!), and losing no more than one caster level as you do so, would all make you a bit stronger and/or more versatile.

Jack_Simth
2022-03-19, 07:23 PM
I had an idea which is thematic but might or might not be feasible:

A good human sorcerer 20 who takes only draconic feats (choosing gold for heritage), and, except for cantrips, only spells and feats found in dragon magic, races of the dragon, and the draconimicon. I would have a drakken familiar (snake) and max out bluff.

So is this a feasible themed sorcerer or is it unworkable? I do not mind not being tier 2, but don’t want to be an actual drag on the party either. :smallsmile:

Dragon Compendium has the bloodline feats - one of which is Draconic Bloodline. Bonus spells known, although most of them aren't the best picks (Mind Blank and Dominate Monster rock, but those are very late level).