PDA

View Full Version : Any unforseen issues with making Psi-Warrior Wis-based?

H_H_F_F
2022-03-17, 02:56 AM
As the title asks. I think Wis suits the Psi-Warrior better than int. It's in line with 3.5's psychic warrior, it feels more sensible for how I want to treat psionics in my game, and it helps differentiate it from eldritch knight and other "learned" disciplines.

Any balance issues I should expect with this move?

Mastikator
2022-03-17, 02:59 AM
It's slightly better. Wis saves are more important than int saves. And perception is more often used than investigation (and more critical).

Psi-Warrior is kinda meh IMO so I think this is a good move.

Kane0
2022-03-17, 03:34 AM
Just saves and skills, plus what classes multiclass better with it (cleric, druid, ranger instead of artificer, wizard)

Unoriginal
2022-03-17, 05:16 AM
As the title asks. I think Wis suits the Psi-Warrior better than int. It's in line with 3.5's psychic warrior, it feels more sensible for how I want to treat psionics in my game, and it helps differentiate it from eldritch knight and other "learned" disciplines.

Any balance issues I should expect with this move?

Multiclassing, maybe?

H_H_F_F
2022-03-17, 06:39 AM
Question is, is there some wis-dependent class or subclass that would gain "too much" from sybergy with psi-warrior?

MoiMagnus
2022-03-17, 07:16 AM
It should be ok.
The Psi-Warrior is still a fighter, and multiclassing between Wis class and fighter are not known to be particularly OP.
The abilities unique to the Psi-Warrior only come at level 3, and are quite comparable to the Battlemaster's manoeuvrers.

If Ranger was as overpowered as the Paladin, I'd probably be cautious about the multiclassing with Ranger. But that's not the case.

H_H_F_F
2022-03-17, 08:15 AM
It should be ok.
The Psi-Warrior is still a fighter, and multiclassing between Wis class and fighter are not known to be particularly OP.
The abilities unique to the Psi-Warrior only come at level 3, and are quite comparable to the Battlemaster's manoeuvrers.

If Ranger was as overpowered as the Paladin, I'd probably be cautious about the multiclassing with Ranger. But that's not the case.

Good breakdown. I guess I was more worried with a particular cleric dip or something overly-synergizing with a wis-based fighter build.

Burley
2022-03-17, 08:22 AM
Good breakdown. I guess I was more worried with a particular cleric dip or something overly-synergizing with a wis-based fighter build.

The only domain that has a Wisdom-based 1st level ability is the Tempest domain (unless I missed something) and it'd be a bad dip. The main reason for dipping Tempest domain is to get martial weapons and heavy armor, which you already have.

H_H_F_F
2022-03-17, 08:31 AM
Makes sense. I think I'll go for it, unless anyone figures out a loophole. Thanks for the help!

Psyren
2022-03-18, 12:14 PM
It makes it stronger (Wis saves and checks tend to come up more frequently than Int ones) but not problematic. As for multiclassing, most of them would dilute it imo (or it them).

Ganryu
2022-03-18, 12:21 PM
Honestly in a game where the DM let's all casting stats be changed, and it doesn't make too much of a difference. {Saves are still one minor, one major}.

Bit better with int vs wis, but still not OP. Honestly, to me, pretty much all casting stats are interchangeable. Sorcerer is the one that's difficult, as it SHOULD be wisdom { -insert rant about switching sorcerer and cleric-}, but already has con as a saving through, which is a major save, and you can't have two major saves.

Major: Dec, con, wis
Minor: Str, int, cha

All class saving throws are one of each. Why monk is Str/Dex, not dex/Wis

OBoyd
2022-03-20, 04:44 PM
I think Cleric/Druid would benefit more from a 3 level PsiWarrior dip than Wizards do. The ability to reliably move people in/out of AOE hazzard effects can be huge and Wisdom casters get those at a lower level than Wizards.