PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next The Elder Scrolls 5e: Races of Tamriel (PEACH)

kwanzaabot
2022-03-17, 07:19 AM
...because there aren't enough Elder Scrolls conversions out there already, am I right? :smallbiggrin:

Anyway, hi everyone! It's been a looooooong time since I've posted new homebrew on these boards (I think my last brew was around the time 4e was announced!) but I'm back after a long hiatus with some races (and one HECK of a compendium) for 5th Edition.

These races are done in the Monsters of the Multiverse style, and my intent is for them to be roughly on par with those races, plus or minus a margin of error. Since other TES projects tend to prefer PHB-style races, it's my hope that there'll be room for both projects to exist simultaneously, without stepping on each other's toes.

The complete compendium can be found HERE (https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/EA0xST_Rn2HD) for the Homebrewery version, and HERE (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1i4Hdkrs5Wj_8VjK4Le0fAB_3Fvu926U_/view?usp=sharing) for a pdf.

But because I love you all (and the compendium is SUPER long), I'm gonna be previewing the racial traits in an easy-to-digest format right here. But please check out the pdf! I'm especially proud of the name tables. In Arena and Daggerfall, the first two TES games, NPCs were procedurally-generated, using a combination of 12ish prefixes and 12ish suffixes to produce dozens of possible names. Not satisfied with that, I've gone and made d100 tables for each race, bringing that total into the thousands! It's at the back of the file. Check it out. It's really cool. And slightly inspired by similar tables I've seen in Warhammer 40k compendiums.

Anyway, the races:

Altmer Racial Traits:

Creature Type. You are a humanoid. You are also considered an elf (high) for any prerequisite or effect that requires you to be an elf.
Size. Your size is Medium.
Speed. Your walking speed is 30 feet.
Darkvision. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You discern colors in that darkness only as shades of gray.
Aldmeri Ancestry. You have advantage on saving throws you make to avoid or end the paralyzed condition on yourself.
Mystic Blood. You have proficiency in the Arcana skill.
Fire and Fury. You know the Prestidigitation cantrip. Starting at 3rd level, you can cast the Burning Hands spell with this trait. Starting at 5th level, you can also cast the Crown of Madness spell with this trait. Once you cast Burning Hands or Crown of Madness with this trait, you can't cast that spell with it again until you finish a long rest. You can also cast either of those spells using any spell slots you have of the appropriate level.
Highborn. Due to your Elven physiology, you don't need to sleep as often as the other races, and magic can't put you to sleep. You can finish a long rest in 4 hours if you spend those hours in quiet contemplation, during which you retain consciousness. Whenever you finish this period of contemplation, you may unlearn one or both of the spells granted to you by your Fire and Fury trait (provided you are at the required level to know them). If you unlearn Burning Hands, you gain one additional 1st-level spell slot. If you unlearn Crown of Madness, you gain one additional 2nd-level spell slot. You retain these bonus spell slots until you finish your next long rest, at which point the spells granted to you by Fire and Fury are reacquired. This does not grant you the ability to learn additional spells; you must learn spells through a class with the Spellcasting or Pact Magic features.
Languages. You can speak, read, and write Tamrielic and one other language that you and your DM agree is appropriate for your character.

Dunmer Racial Traits:

Creature Type. You are a humanoid. You are also considered an elf (drow) for any prerequisite or effect that requires you to be an elf.
Ancestor Guardian. The ghosts of your ancestors are ever-present, ready to lend their aid to you and your allies. You know one of the following cantrips of your choice: Blade Ward, Message, or Guidance.
Darkvision. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You discern colors in that darkness only as shades of gray.
Red Mountain's Haze. You have advantage on saving throws you make to avoid or end the blinded condition on yourself.
Temple Upbringing. You have proficiency in the Religion skill.
Fire Resistance. You have resistance to fire damage.
Commune with Ancestors. Due to your Elven physiology, you don't need to sleep as often as the other races, and magic can't put you to sleep. You can finish a long rest in 4 hours if you spend those hours in prayer, communing with your ancestors, during which you retain consciousness. Whenever you finish this communion, you gain two proficiencies that you don't have, each one with a weapon or a tool of your choice selected from the Player's Handbook. You mystically acquire these proficiencies by drawing them from the knowledge of your ancestors, and you retain them until you finish your next long rest.
Languages. You can speak, read and write Tamrielic and one other language that you and your DM agree is appropriate for your character.

Bosmer Racial Traits:

Creature Type. You are a humanoid. You are also considered an elf (wood) for any prerequisite or effect that requires you to be an elf.
Speed. Your walking speed is 30 feet, and you have a climbing speed equal to your walking speed.
Beast Tongue. Through sounds and gestures, you can communicate simple ideas with Small or smaller beasts. Bosmer have an extraordinary affinity for animals and often keep squirrels, badgers, rabbits, monkeys, falcons, and other creatures as beloved pets.
Poison Resilience. You have advantage on saving throws you make to avoid or end the poisoned condition on yourself. You also have resistance to poison damage.
Outdoorsmer. You have proficiency in the Survival skill.
Green Pact. Due to your Elven physiology, you don't need to sleep as often as the other races, and magic can't put you to sleep. You can finish a long rest in 4 hours if you spend those hours feasting on, and/or harvesting the remains of your enemies, during which you retain consciousness. During this period of feasting, you can harvest bone and hide from a slain aberration, beast, dragon, giant, or monstrosity creature of size small or larger to create one of the following items: a shield, a club, a javelin, or 1d4 darts or blowgun needles. To use this trait, you need a blade, such as a dagger, or appropriate artisan’s tools, such as Leatherworker’s Tools.
Languages. You can speak, read and write Tamrielic and one other language that you and your DM agree is appropriate for your character.

Imperial Racial Traits:

Creature Type. You are a humanoid. You are also considered a human for any prerequisite or effect that requires you to be a human.
Imperial Luck. You have proficiency in one type of gaming set of your choice.
Imperial Education. You always know which direction is north, and you have advantage on any Intelligence (History) check you make regarding the Emperors, Potentates, and Doom-Driven heroes of Tamriel.
Voice of the Emperor. You know the Vicious Mockery cantrip. You can cast it as normal, and you can also cast it as a bonus action a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus, regaining all expended uses when you finish a long rest. Starting at 3rd level, you can cast the Calm Emotions spell with this trait. Once you cast it, you can't do so again until you finish a long rest. You can also cast it using any spell slots you have of 1st level or higher. Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma is your spellcasting ability for these spells when you cast them with this trait (choose when you select this race).

Redguard Racial Traits:

Creature Type. You are a humanoid. You are also considered a human for any prerequisite or effect that requires you to be a human.
Ra' Gada Spirit. You are naturally adapted to hot climates, as described in chapter 5 of the Dungeon Master’s Guide.
Poison Resilience. You have advantage on saving throws you make to avoid or end the poisoned condition on yourself. You also have resistance to poison damage.
Adrenaline Rush. You can take the Dash action as a bonus action. You can use this trait a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus, and you regain all expended uses when you finish a long rest. Whenever you use this trait, you gain a number of temporary hit points equal to your proficiency bonus.

Nord Racial Traits:

Ice-Veins. You have resistance to cold damage. You're also naturally adapted to cold climates, as described in chapter 5 of the Dungeon Master’s Guide.
Sovngarde Awaits. You have advantage on saving throws to avoid or end the frightened condition on yourself.
Battle Cry. As a bonus action, you let out a cry at your enemies within 10 feet of you. Until the start of your next turn, you and your allies have advantage on attack rolls against any of those enemies who could hear you. You can use this trait a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus, and you regain all expended uses when you finish a long rest.

Breton Racial Traits:

Creature Type. You are a humanoid. You are also considered a human or a half-elf for any prerequisite or effect that requires you to be either race (choose when you select this race).
Manmeri Intuition. When you make an Intelligence (Arcana) check or any ability check involving alchemist's supplies, you can roll a d4 and add the number rolled to the ability check.
Manmeri Versatility. Centuries of Aldmeri arrogance has rubbed off on the people of High Rock, allowing them to throw themselves into new situations with a confidence usually reserved for those considered experts in their fields. Whenever you finish a long rest, you gain proficiency in one skill of your choice and with one weapon or tool of your choice, selected from the Player's Handbook. These proficiencies last until the end of your next long rest.
Gift of Magnus. You know the Prestidigitation cantrip. Starting at 3rd level, you can cast the Shield spell with this trait. Starting at 5th level, you can also cast the Animal Messenger spell with this trait, without requiring a material component. Once you cast Shield or Animal Messenger with this trait, you can't cast that spell with it again until you finish a long rest. You can also cast either of those spells using any spell slots you have of the appropriate level. Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma is your spellcasting ability for these spells when you cast them with this trait (choose when you select this race).

Khajiit Racial Traits:

Creature Type. You are a humanoid.
Size. You are Medium or Small. You choose the size when you select this race.
Speed. Your walking speed is 30 feet, and you have a climbing speed equal to your walking speed.
Rain-of-Sand. You can use your claws and tail to make unarmed strikes. When you hit with them, the strike deals 1d6 + your Strength modifier slashing damage, instead of the bludgeoning damage normal for an unarmed strike.
Two-Moons Dance. You have proficiency in the Acrobatics and Sleight of Hand skills.
Darkvision. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light and in darkness as if it were dim light. You discern colors in that darkness only as shades of gray.
Eye of Fear. As a bonus action, you can demoralize foes with but a glance. Creatures of your choice within 10 feet of you that can see you must succeed on a Charisma saving throw or become frightened of you until the end of your next turn. The DC of the save equals 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Charisma modifier. You can use this trait a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus, and you regain all expended uses when you finish a long rest.

Argonian Racial Traits:

Creature Type. You are a humanoid.
Speed. Your walking speed is 30 feet, and you have a swimming speed equal to your walking speed.
Raw Diet. Argonians prefer to eat their food raw, and preferably still wriggling. You can eat raw meat without risk of catching a disease.
Hold Breath. You can hold your breath for up to 15 minutes at a time.
Natural Armor. You have tough, scaly skin. When you aren’t wearing armor, your AC is 12 + your Dexterity modifier. You can use your natural armor to determine your AC if the armor you wear would leave you with a lower AC. A shield’s benefits apply as normal while you use your natural armor.
Swampwalk. You can move across difficult terrain without expending extra movement if you are using your walking speed to pass through shallow water.
Histskin. You know the Druidcraft cantrip. Starting at 3rd level, you can cast the False Life spell with this trait. Starting at 5th level, you can also cast the Barkskin spell with this trait. Once you cast False Life or Barkskin with this trait, you can't cast that spell with it again until you finish a long rest. You can also cast either of those spells using any spell slots you have of the appropriate level. Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma is your spellcasting ability for these spells when you cast them with this trait (choose when you select this race).

Orc Racial Traits:

Creature Type. You are a humanoid. You are also considered a half-orc for any prerequisite or effect that requires you to be a half-orc.
Mauloch’s Chosen. You have proficiency in the Intimidation skill, and you count as one size larger when determining your carrying weight and the weight you can push, drag, or lift.
Stalwart. You have resistance to cold damage. You also naturally acclimate to high altitudes, even if you’ve never been to one. This includes elevations above 20,000 feet.
Relentless Endurance. When you are reduced to 0 hit points but not killed outright, you can drop to 1 hit point instead. Once you use this trait, you can't do so again until you finish a long rest.

This is the first part in an ongoing project of mine to produce a 5th Edition Elder Scrolls campaign setting. I've seen other projects (notably UESRPG (https://uestrpg.wixsite.com/home)), but the projects I've seen seem to have a preference for converting D&D to the video game, instead of converting the video game to D&D; with stuff like changing Wisdom to Willpower, and Charisma to Personality, making brand-new classes that fill the niches that the PHB classes already do, and stuff of that nature. That's not my intention. My goal here is to make a version of The Elder Scrolls that you can plug-and-play into your games with minimal effort.

Want to run encounters using beasties from the Monster Manual? Future releases will show you how to do that. Wanna run Wild Beyond the Witchlight? I'm gonna provide the tools to turn it into a Shivering Isles adventure!

Future releases will also include a Mythic Odysseys of Theros-style Piety system (including MOT-style Daedric Artifacts, that grow more powerful as your connection to the Daedric Princes grows), Birthsigns in the vein of MOT and Van Richten's Guide to Ravenloft's Supernatural Gifts (I'm calling them Celestial Gifts), a simplified (and balanced!) Lycanthropy and Vampirism system (since that's a big part of Elder Scrolls gameplay not well-represented in D&D), and my most-anticipated feature, a "you all meet in prison" adventure (as is tradition for TES).

Loek
2022-03-18, 12:20 PM
Let me start by saying this. If the goal is to make them balanced to the existing races (and make it available along side them), there's 2 things:

Call their standard language "common" (in a TES setting, that'll default to Tamrielic, but we'll avoid the "ask the DM if I can swap it for a language that's actually spoken in our setting thing that some Magic the gathering races have)
And I think the races are slightly to very much more powerful then existing races (MotM or other sources). See the orc comparison below especially.

Creature Type - Your version gets the bonus of getting access to half-orc feats (of which there are normally 2)
Size - Same
Speed - Same
Darkvision - Same
Relentless Endurance - Same
Languages - Same
Mauloch’s Chosen - Same as "Powerful Build", but with a bonus proficiency
Stalwart - Bonus resistance + acclimatization (Neither is spectacular, but still)

So your version beats the MoTM version by: 1 skill proficiency, access to a few more feats/items, cold resistance and height acclimatization

For a quick Khajiit to Leonin comparision: Your version gets better claw attacks (no idea why tail is mentioned there), less choice but the same amount of proficiencies, and a fear ability that is statted of a different ability stat and has x uses per long rest instead of 1 per short. But is 5ft slower.
This one is about a wash versus the standard race (which wasn't great to begin with).

High elf vs high elf:
Skills: Perception vs Arcana
Advantage: Charmed (and sleep immune) vs paralyzed
Other: 1 chosen cantrip, 1 language and 4 weapons VS 1 cantrip, 1 1st level spell and 1 2nd level spell (both of which have the very powerful ability to be transformed into spell slots)
Conclusion: If you go caster class, your high elf wins (except very maybe the bladesinger). If you don't, it's still slightly better, I think.

Anyhow, I think the greatest question will be, do you want to balance them internally or also versus the normal races?

Finally, some things I found that I wanna point out either way:
Altmer - Highborn - the using those spells as spellslots might be a bit overpowered. Though very cool
Dunmer - The proficiencies bit of Ancestors is a bit muddy (I think it gets you 2 tools/weapons?) and the fire resistance... that's a very common damage type (but then again, fire genasi...).
Bosmer - The make tools out of corpses thing.. it's flavourful, but also mostly crap. Even the MotM version of lizardfolk dumps it
Imperial - The knowledge advantage makes sense in context, but could probably be a bit more general? (Also, this race as a whole feels kinda meh, even their bonus spell thing only has the 1st and 3rd level things, no 2nd level spell at level 5)
Redguard - nothing specific
Nord - The battle cry... it feels like it should either offer more ways to resist (immunity to charm or even just a DC). Or should be flavoured the other way, that it boosts allies within 10ft instead.
Breton - nothing specific
Khajiit - As mentioned above, why is the tail mentioned in the unarmed strike skills?
Argonian - I'm guessing the barkskin should only be able to target themselves? Also, no material components?
Orc - besides the boost vs the normal orc, nothing to add here.

kwanzaabot
2022-03-18, 05:15 PM
Let me start by saying this. If the goal is to make them balanced to the existing races (and make it available along side them), there's 2 things:

Call their standard language "common" (in a TES setting, that'll default to Tamrielic, but we'll avoid the "ask the DM if I can swap it for a language that's actually spoken in our setting thing that some Magic the gathering races have)
And I think the races are slightly to very much more powerful then existing races (MotM or other sources). See the orc comparison below especially.

Creature Type - Your version gets the bonus of getting access to half-orc feats (of which there are normally 2)
Size - Same
Speed - Same
Darkvision - Same
Relentless Endurance - Same
Languages - Same
Mauloch’s Chosen - Same as "Powerful Build", but with a bonus proficiency
Stalwart - Bonus resistance + acclimatization (Neither is spectacular, but still)

So your version beats the MoTM version by: 1 skill proficiency, access to a few more feats/items, cold resistance and height acclimatization

For a quick Khajiit to Leonin comparision: Your version gets better claw attacks (no idea why tail is mentioned there), less choice but the same amount of proficiencies, and a fear ability that is statted of a different ability stat and has x uses per long rest instead of 1 per short. But is 5ft slower.
This one is about a wash versus the standard race (which wasn't great to begin with).

High elf vs high elf:
Skills: Perception vs Arcana
Advantage: Charmed (and sleep immune) vs paralyzed
Other: 1 chosen cantrip, 1 language and 4 weapons VS 1 cantrip, 1 1st level spell and 1 2nd level spell (both of which have the very powerful ability to be transformed into spell slots)
Conclusion: If you go caster class, your high elf wins (except very maybe the bladesinger). If you don't, it's still slightly better, I think.

Anyhow, I think the greatest question will be, do you want to balance them internally or also versus the normal races?

Finally, some things I found that I wanna point out either way:
Altmer - Highborn - the using those spells as spellslots might be a bit overpowered. Though very cool
Dunmer - The proficiencies bit of Ancestors is a bit muddy (I think it gets you 2 tools/weapons?) and the fire resistance... that's a very common damage type (but then again, fire genasi...).
Bosmer - The make tools out of corpses thing.. it's flavourful, but also mostly crap. Even the MotM version of lizardfolk dumps it
Imperial - The knowledge advantage makes sense in context, but could probably be a bit more general? (Also, this race as a whole feels kinda meh, even their bonus spell thing only has the 1st and 3rd level things, no 2nd level spell at level 5)
Redguard - nothing specific
Nord - The battle cry... it feels like it should either offer more ways to resist (immunity to charm or even just a DC). Or should be flavoured the other way, that it boosts allies within 10ft instead.
Breton - nothing specific
Khajiit - As mentioned above, why is the tail mentioned in the unarmed strike skills?
Argonian - I'm guessing the barkskin should only be able to target themselves? Also, no material components?
Orc - besides the boost vs the normal orc, nothing to add here.

Altmer: I agree that they're preferred as spellcasters. Given the flavour and game mechanics of TES, I'm happy with this.
Dunmer: Commune with Ancestors is the standard Trance ability, seen in MotM's Shadar-Kai and Eladrin (though I changed the flavour somewhat. Have I made this too ambiguous? Please let me know what you think). You get two proficiencies, and each one can either be with a skill or tool. In fact, the Dunmer are sort of based on the new MotM Shadar-Kai, with some Tiefling in there as well.
Bosmer: I agree Green Pact is flavourful, but weak. It's intended as a pure ribbon ability. In the document itself I tried to highlight that the Green Pact is extremely optional in the lore, and PCs aren't beholden to it. According to Detect Balance (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vq1kz6PRAbw5LHy6amH-bNb4OuB8DBXL1RsZROt03Sc/edit#gid=0), it's worth 1 point, and that's as-intended. Actually going by Detect Balance, they seem to come in pretty close to the Dunmer. They also get exclusive access to a new Druid Circle (Circle of the Wild Hunt, seen in the document).
Imperials: Yeah, I agree they're quite underpowered. I might chuck them a proficiency in Persuasion and Deception. I'm not entirely satisfied with any of the humans, really.
Nords: Battle Cry is taken from the new MotM Kobold. I may add some new abilities to buff them out.
Khajiit: It's a lore thing. I might take it out.
Argonian: Not a bad idea, I'll look into that.
Orc: I am very, very unsatisfied with my current Orc traits. The problem is I want them to evoke existing Orcs while being their own thing. I don't think it's helpful to compare them stat-wise to Orcs, though. Their Detect Balance score is closer to Goliaths, as I feel Goliath traits are better at being Orcs than Orcs are :smallbiggrin:

The "Orcs get Half-Orc feats" is as-intended, though. As the Orcish Fury feat explicitly refers to Relentless Endurance. If I drop RE, I may drop the half-orc thing. In TES, Orcs get a "Berserk" ability that is essentially the Barbarian's Rage, so right now there's an identity crisis here. How to make them evocative of TES Orcs AND D&D Orcs without giving them access to that? Orcish Fury seems like the best way to address it, without giving it to them at level one. The elves all get Elven feats, too.

Also, as for the languages: the page before I even get to the racial traits is all about converting Tamrielic languages to D&D. The languages, by and large, don't fit consistently into the way D&D does things. In D&D there's only one Elvish language (and High Drow and Low Drow if you're in the Forgotten Realms), and for the sake of consistency, Common is referred to as Tamrielic. Otherwise I would have a mix of D&D and TES languages, and that would just be extremely messy.