PDA

View Full Version : Canon uses of Figments (Silent image, etc.)

bekeleven
2022-03-17, 09:19 AM
I've been diving into the illusion rules for a bit for a project of mine. Part of the issue I'm running into is figuring out exactly what these maddeningly vague spells can do. In order to expedite that, I'm asking the playground for help. What illusion spells have been cast in actual published D&D 3.0 and 3.5 works? As in, maybe there's an adventure where one of the NPCs casts silent image to create some specific appearance. Or a rundown in a splatbook about options. So far the best I've come up with is some Rules of the Game articles, which aren't too robust as sources, but are better than nothing. (Similarly, Sage/FAQ could be of interest.)

Thanks in advance!

Telonius
2022-03-17, 10:41 AM
Away from my books right now, but I know that Shackled City had a bunch of Illusions in the Jzadirune dungeon, left over from the Gnomes that used to live there. I'm not sure if any of them were Figments specifically, but it would be a good place to start looking.

MaxiDuRaritry
2022-03-17, 10:59 AM
Silent image says you can move the image within the range of the spell, but is the image animated, or is it a static image you can reposition inside the AoE?

Miss Disaster
2022-03-17, 02:35 PM
Interesting project, bekeleven.

The key quote of the Image line of figments is: " ... This spell creates the visual illusion of an object, creature, or force, as visualized by you."

This doesn't mean these 3 options need to be existing or real options. They just have to be an object, creature or force ... no matter how absurd, unrealistic or outré. For example, if you can visualize a creature that looks like 2 independently-operating humans attached by a tiny, nearly invisible thread, you now have an unconventional workaround for creating more than 1 creature with the spell.

flappeercraft
2022-03-17, 04:54 PM
Interesting project, bekeleven.

The key quote of the Image line of figments is: " ... This spell creates the visual illusion of an object, creature, or force, as visualized by you."

This doesn't mean these 3 options need to be existing or real options. They just have to be an object, creature or force ... no matter how absurd, unrealistic or outré. For example, if you can visualize a creature that looks like 2 independently-operating humans attached by a tiny, nearly invisible thread, you now have an unconventional workaround for creating more than 1 creature with the spell.

Agreed. Also, even if you can't create an illusion of a non-existent creature such as one connected by the thread for some reason, you can pull the same trick with a mobile object that really closely resembles a creature.

Telonius
2022-03-17, 10:49 PM
Okay, just got back to my books - yeah, definitely a Programmed Image in Jzadirune (p. 51-52 of the adventure path book). It's set to go off if the players approach a stage. Here's what it does:

One of the black stage curtains flutters, and a small figure steps out from behind it. A baby black bear-or rather, a gnome wearing a bear costume-takes center stage, raises a paw to his lips, and begins speaking softly.

"Night hath fallen in the Magic Woods, and while myriad woodland creatures dream, Willow-bough and her faerie friends frolic beneath the sorcerous moon!"

The small bear curls up into a ball on the stage and feigns sleep. Moments later, a female gnome with briars for hair materializes on stage, as though she were standing invisibly a moment ago, and begins dancing. Solemn music fills the theater as butterfly-winged faeries appear from backstage and join in the ballet.

Lanterns lit by continual flame spells illuminate this theater. The gnomes, faeries, and music are programmed images. If the PCs let the scene play out, they bear witness to the drama of Willowbough and Silverarrow, a somber tale of a dryad who falls in love with a ranger, and Moontusk, the ranger's bitter wereboar nemesis who strives to ruin their love by destroying the dryad's sacred tree.

So, long story short, as far as Shackled City is concerned, a Programmed Image is capable of putting on an entire ballet. This could be in the realm of DM Fiat (since it is more like setting description, it's still functioning/ not discharged, and pretty clearly past the rounds/level limit of a single casting of the spell). But I suppose you could probably work something out to emulate it as a player. You'd have to program a series of images in 20-round chunks, if you're a 20th-level caster; each one triggered to begin when the previous one ends).

bekeleven
2022-03-18, 11:57 AM
Thanks for all the help, everyone!

This doesn't mean these 3 options need to be existing or real options. They just have to be an object, creature or force ... no matter how absurd, unrealistic or outré. For example, if you can visualize a creature that looks like 2 independently-operating humans attached by a tiny, nearly invisible thread, you now have an unconventional workaround for creating more than 1 creature with the spell.The first seed of this project originated when I got into a dispute with another playgrounder about whether I could make an image of a house, and then grow the grass.

Here's what it does:

The [...], and [...] are programmed images.It's the pluralization here that limits this passage as particularly groundbreaking precedent to me. Still useful knowledge, but it fits in with the, shall we say, conservative reading of the spell's power.

nedz
2022-03-21, 09:40 PM
So, long story short, as far as Shackled City is concerned, a Programmed Image is capable of putting on an entire ballet. This could be in the realm of DM Fiat (since it is more like setting description, it's still functioning/ not discharged, and pretty clearly past the rounds/level limit of a single casting of the spell). But I suppose you could probably work something out to emulate it as a player. You'd have to program a series of images in 20-round chunks, if you're a 20th-level caster; each one triggered to begin when the previous one ends).

It's always struck me that the quality of an illusion should be linked to the artistic ability of the caster — in this case a ballet director — but they are not.

Troacctid
2022-03-22, 03:04 AM
My favorite creative use of illusions in the fiction comes from everyone's favorite half-elf secret agent, Thorn of Breland. When she's on a mission in Graywall, she uses disguise self to disguise herself as a medusa. Nobody even attempts a Spot check to see through it because they're all too scared to look at her closely enough. Meanwhile, she can score an easy sneak attack because her target's gaze is averted.

Obviously that's a glamer, not a figment, but I thought it was pretty brilliant anyway.

bekeleven
2022-03-22, 08:57 PM
It's always struck me that the quality of an illusion should be linked to the artistic ability of the caster — in this case a ballet director — but they are not.

This has always stuck with me as well.

I went to find out why just now, and it's because of you, 9 years ago:

Player 1: "My character is an Artist. I make a quick sketch of the suspect"
DM: "Make a skill check"
Player 2: "I cast Silent Image to create a likeness of the suspect."
DM: "OK"

nedz
2022-03-23, 11:20 PM
Nice find :smallbiggrin: