PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Battlemaster optimization

Coranhann
2022-03-17, 04:07 PM
Hey everyone!

I have a 6th level fighter, battlemaster and would need help picking among the various things I find interesting for it. Anyone's input is welcome.

Character's abilities are S20 D14 Co16 I8 W10 Ch8 - and he has the Sentinel feat
Background is Bounty Hunter
Fighting style is defensive
He's a Battlemaster with Riposte, Precision and Commander's Strike. I pick Herbalist kit as a mean of getting more healing in the group.
He's S&B, in a group that has a AT rogue, a GoO Warlock and a healer NPC. So he's often working as the frontline tank sometime helping the rogue fighting, sometime alone when the trickster prefers range over melee.

I know I want to go for Fighter 7 for the fun ribbon and the extra dices and manoeuvers.

But after that, I don't know.

I could stay fighter until 12, and get PAM & GWM. Super classic, efficient but boring.
I could stay fighter until 11 and get the Poisoner feat. Thematic, even if less efficient. (2D8 on a save once per round with LOADS of prep work is not nearly as good as PAM)
I could switch to Rogue ... but to do what ? And is it worth doing it before being fighter 11?

There it is... I'm open to any ideas, please!

mw_147
2022-03-17, 06:04 PM
You could take a few levels of Barbarian and really lean into the tank role. With those mental stats you aren't going to be doing any spellcasting, and a 14 DEX is perfect for medium armour which is more efficient than using the unarmored defense feature. Stick with the shield, switch to a spear and take PAM for an extra attack. I wouldn't go more than 3-4 levels though, enough to get your subclass and an ASI, and then stick with fighter the rest of the way.

5eNeedsDarksun
2022-03-17, 07:48 PM
I mean you've got Sentinel, which screams PAM + pole arm, so I'd have a tough time not getting that online ASAP by staying to 8th. Then there's the 3rd attack at 11th, which is kind of the reason to play a fighter over the 1/2 caster options. I do disagree that straight BM Fighter is boring; as attacks and maneuvers add up you've got as many meaningful decisions to make in combat as anyone. After 11th/12th then I get it; multiclass out.

Frogreaver
2022-03-17, 08:52 PM
Hey everyone!

I have a 6th level fighter, battlemaster and would need help picking among the various things I find interesting for it. Anyone's input is welcome.

Character's abilities are S20 D14 Co16 I8 W10 Ch8 - and he has the Sentinel feat
Background is Bounty Hunter
Fighting style is defensive
He's a Battlemaster with Riposte, Precision and Commander's Strike. I pick Herbalist kit as a mean of getting more healing in the group.
He's S&B, in a group that has a AT rogue, a GoO Warlock and a healer NPC. So he's often working as the frontline tank sometime helping the rogue fighting, sometime alone when the trickster prefers range over melee.

I know I want to go for Fighter 7 for the fun ribbon and the extra dices and manoeuvers.

But after that, I don't know.

I could stay fighter until 12, and get PAM & GWM. Super classic, efficient but boring.
I could stay fighter until 11 and get the Poisoner feat. Thematic, even if less efficient. (2D8 on a save once per round with LOADS of prep work is not nearly as good as PAM)
I could switch to Rogue ... but to do what ? And is it worth doing it before being fighter 11?

There it is... I'm open to any ideas, please!

Go swashbuckler rogue.
1. Sneak Attack buffs your sentinel and riposte reaction attacks
2. You have few bonus actions and getting in a slew of bonus action mobility options from rogue cunning action will be amazing
3. Expertise in 2 skills will be very nice for out of combat
4. Swashbuckler ensures you can be fighting as the only melee and nearly always get your sneak attack off.
5. Swashbuckler also allows you to hit an enemy with sneak attack with no nearby allies, bonus action dodge and move back 60ft, nearly ensuring the enemy wastes it's action next turn dashing to you (most enemies)
6. Uncanny dodge is a great reaction for you
7. The rest of the rogue features are generally going to be better than the rest of the fighter features after level 11.

IMO, you'll have much more fun playing the swashbuckler fighter/rogue.

*extra attack isn't that important since you don't do alot of damage per attacks
*in your party as the only primary melee I would not give up the shield for 2 handed polearm (as was recommended above)

I would recommend doing 3-4 rogue levels before Battlemaster 7.