PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next So looking for advice & ideas on homebrewed subclass Monk way of Puppet Possession

Throne12
2022-03-17, 06:46 PM
So in my game we are coming to a end of this campaign and players are talking about next game characters. And I got a player that liked and want to play a member of a order of monks from a country in my world. This Continent is effected my a event that is collecting magical energy. So it takes longer for casters to regain spell slots. So short rest classes do better and are more Abundant here. There are also a lot of yetis and remorhaz. So there is a order of monks that possess giant iron or stone Statues/golems to fight these large monsters.

So the player wants to play a monk of this order and all I got right now is you have a puppet/doll/golem that starts as a small object that later can get bigger. Some things I want is you can stunning strike through this Puppet. And I want it to have the same movement of the monk.

So if I can get any advice as I work on this would be nice.

Loek
2022-03-18, 06:08 AM
Somethings that come to mind (It's not properly ordered, so I'll double back on ideas later, etc):

I'd look at the druids and their shapeshifting. In other words, what kind of things would carry over when the puppet gets defeated (My suggestion: any left over damage and probably most if not all mental abilities. And in a positive sense, all class features their new "form" would be capable of executing)
Then the puppet itself. How is it made. Does it cost resources to create (Money, time, magic) or do they just summon it with no downside (or maybe limited to time (ritual) or downtime (during a long rest)).
What happens to the monk's actual body while they are being puppet masters (My suggestion would be totally vulnerable, maybe even with no hearing/sight and feeling limited to taking damage)
Will the monk need to concentrated to stay in puppet master "form"? (And if so, what breaks the concentration, damage to the monk or to the puppet?)
How will it interact with anti magical things (anti magic fields, dispel) and range (how far can they wander from their actual form - I'd say increasing range with levels, but never other planar etc)
How will the progression work (I'd say small and lesser forms of monk abilities first, then medium and closer to the monk's actual stats. Maybe with a capstone ability where the puppet becomes better than the monk himself briefly)
Communication and senses: What can the puppet do in those regards (I'd guess crappy in communication and senses at a max equal to the monk, though smelling/tasting would probably be very weak if at all)
How does it interact with healing (in combination with the earlier mentioned resources to make the puppets). Can it be healed? Can it be mended? Does it use the normal spells/abilities or a monk unique thing?

Long story short, look at:

Druids and wildshape for how to deal with extra hp/damage spillover
Take a look at find familiar in regards to shared senses
Maybe glance at things like echo knight fighter (with their "echo puppet", though completely different kind of physicality) and Battlesmith artificer (for their iron hound pet)