PDA

View Full Version : It's Magical and Rad

Rowanomicon
2007-11-24, 03:00 AM
This is the Rock 'n' Roll appreciation thread.
From Cream to Zeppelin,
From the Beatles to the Stones,
From CCR to Judas Priest,
From the Who to the Guess Who and many, many more.
I love Rock 'n' Roll (today's music ain't got the same soul) so put another dime in the juke box, baby.

I know there's gotta be some other Rockers In The Playground so lemme hear it:
Favourite Band/Artist,
Favourite Song,
Why you love it,
Anything and everything about ROCK AND ROLL!

Gaelbert
2007-11-24, 04:20 AM
I assume you mean what is commonly called classic rock? If that is so, then my list is the following:
1. Styx or Kansas
2. This is a tough one. My favorite song by Styx is either Show Me the Way or Come Sail Away, while my favorite song by Kansas is definitely Carry On Wayward Son, although there are many close behind tied for second.
3. Why I love them? Because they are rockgasmic.

Wizzardman
2007-11-24, 10:35 AM
Don't force me to choose!

...I love so many of them...

Fine. Favorite band: the Rolling Stones.
Favorite Song: End of the World as We Know It [which, for those who don't know their Rock, is not by the Rolling Stones]

Reason 1: I grew up listening to this music.
Reason 2: It rocks!

VeisuItaTyhjyys
2007-11-24, 12:23 PM
in terms of classic rock, my Springsteen fanboyism, as a poet, cannot be overestimated. Every love song worth listening to before darkwave was written by that man, with one exception Dylan got in (Lay Lady Lay).
Relatively Early favourites include: Atlantic City (although, it, honestly, is more folk), Thunder Road, Born to Run, For You, Badlands.

Rare Pink Leech
2007-11-24, 12:41 PM
Very tough questions to answer. Very, very tough.

My favourite band would have to be The Guess Who. They were the first band I got into because I actually liked them, and not because they were popular. I don't think I dislike any of their songs, and I can practically sing entires albums of theirs. Plus, I've seen either The Guess Who or Bachman/Cummings (the lead guitarist and lead singer, respectively, who can no longer use The Guess Who name due to copyright issues) in concert four times, I believe, which is twice as many times as anyone else.

My favourite song is really difficult to answer. Is there a character limit for these posts? :smalltongue: If I had to choose three all-time favourite songs, under extreme duress, with the lives of my loved ones hanging in the balance, I'd have to say, in alphabetical order, Born To Run by Bruce Springsteen, Freebird by Lynyrd Skynyrd, and Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd. Even choosing just those three has caused my great pain inside.

Why do I love it? Because it's the best music ever written, that's why. I've been told I have an old soul, which is true I guess, since I'm 20 and yet most of the music I listen to is 30-40 years old.

Here's a question to everyone: what classic rock acts have you seen live? I've been lucky enough to see The Guess Who twice and Bachman/Cummings twice (as already mentioned), Bob Dylan once, and Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band just last month. I wish I could have seen more already, especially since I live in Toronto, and in the last few months we've had Rush, Genesis, and The Police, all playing at least two shows each.

zeratul
2007-11-24, 05:11 PM
Favourite rock band : Nirvana
Favourite song : To many to choose.

Teal Kuinshi
2007-11-29, 06:04 PM
Blue Oyster Cult with 'Don't Fear the Reaper'. I don't even know what other songs they play... but I love that song. Cowbells make everything better.

Daze
2007-11-29, 06:22 PM
Blue Oyster Cult with 'Don't Fear the Reaper'. I don't even know what other songs they play... but I love that song. Cowbells make everything better.

I kinda like the cover that Gus did recently too.. different, but allowed me to get a better grasp on the lyrics, which were quite poignant.

Jensik
2007-11-29, 06:22 PM
I too am a fan of all things that rock, so I can't really place a "Favorite" brand on anything really. My most recent obsessions have been CCR and AC/DC.

I'd like to add I'm thankful to the Guitar Hero series for helping me convert my sister into a rocker. No more boy bands or Hillary Duff! :smallbiggrin: I've never been so happy.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and Freebird is always on my iPod.

Arlion
2007-12-20, 01:31 PM
i think my favorite band is pink floyd(the wall era).but others are awasome too. But i have to say :my favorite song is one-metallica.

but the real personification of rock is......

TENACIOUS D

GimliFett
2007-12-20, 01:49 PM
Band: Led Zepplin.

Song: Achilles' Last Stand.

Why I Love that Band? They combined classical literature with fantasy, rock n' roll, blues and folk AND MADE IT WORK! Lyrical and instrumental range and innovation! So many bands that came after owe something to the Mighty Zep!

Why I Love that Song? Listen to the lyrics and the layers of music within this song. One of their most complex masterpieces ever.

Prophaniti
2007-12-20, 01:52 PM
Like Jensik, I can't really pick a favorite band, or even a favorite song, really. As long as it rocks, I'm happy. My current lists include: Breaking Benjamin, Avenged Sevenfold, Megadeath, Dethklok (because it's funny), Disturbed and others, as well as some classic stuff like Twisted Sister, Quiet Riot, Queen, ect. Oh, and Tenacious D is good too.

Rowanomicon
2007-12-20, 06:51 PM
Yeah Tenacious D rocks pretty freaking hard.
I actually think they might be my favourite new band...

Semidi
2007-12-20, 07:18 PM
I love most of the bands mentioned (minus Nirvana), and I will add Deep Purple as they haven't been mentioned.

Rowanomicon
2007-12-20, 08:38 PM
Deep Purple also rocks.
Highway Star was a favourite of my buddy and I in highs school.
We liked to listen to it (and sing along) at our after school job cleaning up the back of a butcher shop.
Burn was the last song on the play list I always listened to before the musicless week of summer camp.

Oh, and, yeah, I'm not too hot on Nirvana either.

Arlion
2007-12-21, 10:33 AM
What about AC/DC? .They are really good too.

Smeik
2007-12-21, 04:16 PM
Hm, you count Judas Priest as Rock?
Alright, then I think i know my favourite group.:smallbiggrin:
With Songs like "Breaking the Law", "Johnny B Goode" and "Painkiller", they are just made of win.

greetings from the Power Metal thread,
Smeik:smallwink:

Thinker
2007-12-21, 04:31 PM
Favourite Band/Artist: The Clash
Favourite Song: Should I Stay or Should I Go?
Why you love it: Because its friggen sweet.

Emrylon
2007-12-21, 06:00 PM
Favourite Band - Thin Lizzy

Favourite song - nooooo you can't make me choose one Lizzy song!
Boys are back in Town, Emerald, Still in Love with you, Black Rose, Whiskey in the jar, theres so many!!

Why I love it - So many reasons
The were the pioneers of duel lead guitar
They have a mixture of cletic folk influences and Rock
They were all AMAZING musicians

and THEY ROCKED!!

R.I.P. Phil Lynnot

Seriously I don't get why they hardly get any mentions. They are awesome!

Rowanomicon
2007-12-21, 06:31 PM
ACDC and Thin Lizzy rock.

Oh, and, yes, Judas priest ROCKS!!!
Those three songs are my favourites by them, after for Electric Eye, such a great song.
Gotta love other songs by them too like Metal Meltdown and Heavy Metal (yeah, I could metal as a sub-genre of Rock... it's a mineral too, just harder).
Cheers (and happy holidays) to the power metal thread from the rock thread.

Evil_Pacifist
2007-12-21, 07:19 PM
With Songs like "Breaking the Law", "Johnny B Goode" and "Painkiller", they are just made of win.

"Breaking the Law" is my happy song. Whenever I feel depressed (Which I might add is not very often) I just go to YouTube and watch the music video a few times, and I always feel better. Side effects include the desire to rob a liquor store.

Rowanomicon
2007-12-21, 11:10 PM
"Breaking the Law" is my happy song. Whenever I feel depressed (Which I might add is not very often) I just go to YouTube and watch the music video a few times, and I always feel better. Side effects include the desire to rob a liquor store.

Haha, hell yeah!