PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Bloodborne Beast Claw for Rogues

ZenBear
2022-03-19, 05:10 PM
One of my players is running a Bugbear Rogue with high STR and Expertise in Athletics. I want to make a magic weapon uniquely suited to their build without overlapping on Feats they might take down the line.

At the start, the Beast Claw is a short sword that leaves the hand free for holding/interacting with items, climbing, or grappling. Upon attuning with it, the Beast Claw allows the wielder to make an attack with it as a bonus action against targets it has grappled, meaning you can attack once on the turn you grapple it and twice on subsequent turns. This allows the player to go for grapples without forgoing a chance at Sneak Attack, and has synergy with Grappler and Tavern Brawler which each benefit grappling and allow for it in different contexts.

Rather than building a damage amp over multiple attacks which would better suit a Fighter, I'm thinking of going with a Craven Edge kind of amp. As the player nets more killing blows with the weapon and it consumes blood/souls, it grows in power. Starting as a simple magic weapon that grants an extra attack on grappled targets and overcomes non-magical resistances, after a certain amount of kills (DM discretion, but let's say 10 for the first tier) it gains +X bonuses to attack and damage and/or further utility. Perhaps it could amplify Sneak Attack in some manner, adding additional d6's or granting X rerolls on damage dice?

With the increase in power comes an increase in physical deformity. The PC's fangs and claws elongate, they become more hirsute, and at a certain point they unlock the "Trick" effect of fully transforming their arm into a beast claw allowing multiple attacks against any target regardless of grapple.

Ideas are welcome for fun effects and thresholds. It's obviously not going to be a super-close recreation of the Bloodborne weapon, that's just the root inspiration. For a grappling Rogue, frequent attacks aren't well suited so I'm aiming for more of a League of Legends Warwick Ult feel.

somerandomhuman
2022-03-26, 01:26 PM
kill counting for leveling up is easily abusable and a pain to keep track of. it can encourage murder hobo behavior as that is a quick way to level it up. the idea is cool though and your a great DM for making a magic item specifically to match a player's style!:smallbiggrin: I would do it with milestone, level up, or - my favorite for this sort of thing - boss kills. you could also have it just level at any time that would be cool, say you decide it will level up when they reduce the boss to half health. I will bookmark this thread and if I get more ideas I will post them.

somerandomhuman
2022-03-26, 01:42 PM
i am not familiar with the inspiration but maybe it should give a bonus when bloodied? I usually use affects like that when I want something to feel feral. also many animals will grab things with their claws so maybe it should let you try to grapple on a hit? Is it supposed to be a weapon or a claw? weapons associated with being savage often inflict a bleeding condition also. If it is supposed to absorbed souls/blood it could have an HP steal ability.
Here is a rough draft
I will call the stages of power levels (1st 2nd 3rd etc)

1st level
-1d6 damage die
-one extra attack against grappled targets

2nd level
-1d8 damage die
-when you hit with attack you can try to grapple
-prof bonus times per day you can regain hp = to half the base damage you deal on a hit.

3rd level
-additional attack when below half health
-if you do x or more damage (i'm thinking 20 - 40) the target becomes bleeding. they lose 1 HP per round
-Super mode you talked about