PDA

View Full Version : Scribing spell scrolls funny

Witty Username
2022-03-19, 06:00 PM
So I noticed a thing in the Xanathar's scribing spell scroll rules. Notably the complication that you can accidentally make a ramdom spell scroll of the same level.
The random spell doesn't need to be on your list, much less prepared/known. So you could be the wizard, making your See invisibility scrolls, and get a random pass without trace scroll. I find that hilarious.

But more importantly, this is good for the known casters, I think. They can be making one of there 2-3, options and randomly get other spells, maybe for other characters, maybe on their own spell list. The Ranger can be scribing Goodberry scrolls, and randomly get fog clouds, cure wounds, detect magic, or whatever else.

Thoughts?

JackPhoenix
2022-03-19, 06:55 PM
You only get 10% chance of complication per workweek. That means there's no chance of complications for the spells of level 2 or lower. Even then, you've got 1/6 chance to get a different scroll.

It's... there, but it's not really something to make any plans around.

Witty Username
2022-03-19, 10:33 PM
You only get 10% chance of complication per workweek. That means there's no chance of complications for the spells of level 2 or lower. Even then, you've got 1/6 chance to get a different scroll.

It's... there, but it's not really something to make any plans around.

Hm, how I read it was it was related to time scribing, so it would come up if you were scribing multiple scrolls in one downtime stint. I would run it like that since it would encourage observing weekends or similar off days.

SLOTHRPG95
2022-03-21, 01:26 AM
So it'd be rather time- and gold-inefficient, but you could add new (random) spells to your spellbook by just scribing scrolls of the ones you know over and over again, hoping for this complication. Still, even with the least-expensive 3rd level spells, you're talking an average of 30K over 60 weeks for one new spell, and it might not even be a Wizard spell.

tokek
2022-03-21, 05:14 AM
The funny part of this is that you might well end up scribing a spell that you cannot then use, because its not on your class spell list.

To be fair I believe you can manage that by design when we consider Feats and even racial spells. The rules on which spells you can scribe and which spells you can cast from scrolls are just different and sometimes it creates this funny situation where you can scribe it but not use it.