PDA

View Full Version : Help theorize a character; Linguist/translator; C3PO-inspired

SouthpawSoldier
2022-03-19, 09:40 PM
So, I have a concept I've been toying around with. Half-Elf, Knowledge Cleric, Anthropologist Background.

Backstory was easy; he was from a wealthy trading family, joined the clergy of Deneir, got expelled for wanting to tutor the poor as well as those with coin, now uses his education to serve his family by exploring new trade alliances with exotic cultures.

Problem is, I've never built it beyond first level, and am unsure where to take it from there. Obviously, Tongues gets added to the prepared spell list when he reaches third level, (why isn't Comprehend Languages on the Cleric list :smallfurious:). But level dips? Cleric 20? *shrug*

I'm thinking a Warlock dip for Eyes of the Runekeeper works mechanically, but narratively?

Picking up the Linguist feat would be nice, as well as Magic Initiate to get access to Comprehend Language, but giving up ASIs for two feats seems a lot.

https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2612463

Greywander
2022-03-20, 08:52 AM
You can use Eldritch Adept to grab Eyes of the Rune Keeper without a warlock dip. If you do dip warlock, GOOlock lets you speak telepathically without needing to share a language. Ritual Caster (wizard) can get you Comprehend Languages, and fits thematically with Knowledge cleric.

Otherwise, pure Knowledge cleric should be fine. What you've described is a pretty specific niche that you can solve with little investment, giving you a lot of build resources to do something else. If you're not sure what else you want your character to do, you could do a lot worse than pure cleric.