PDA

View Full Version : d10 piercing weapons?

Schwann145
2022-03-20, 12:27 AM
Are there any non-heavy piercing weapons that do a d10? Either 1 or 2 handed, versatile or not?

CTurbo
2022-03-20, 01:23 AM
A spear with the Spear Mastery feat will deal 1d10 piercing (versatile)

Zhorn
2022-03-20, 01:44 AM
Always did strike me as odd that the tridents was a d6/d8 versatile rather than a d8/d10 versatile

Costs more than a spear
Weighs more than a spear
Is a martial weapon unlike the spear being a simple weapon
and there are other d8/d10 versatile martial weapons

Anyway, houseruled that for my tables.
The unearthed arcana feat CTurbo pointed out is an easier sell if asking for DM permission, but it is a little overly specific to spears to the point of not being worth the cost of an ASI, imo

DarknessEternal
2022-03-20, 01:48 AM
Lance does 1d12. It is not heavy.

diplomancer
2022-03-20, 03:20 AM
The pistol.

CTurbo
2022-03-20, 10:00 AM
I always thought it was odd that the Flail, Morningstar, and War Pick all deal 1d8 damage one handed, but lack the versatile property. It would be an extremely reasonable homebrew to allow the War Pick to deal 1d10 piercing damage when used with 2 hands (Versatile).

olskool
2022-03-20, 09:26 PM
Always did strike me as odd that the tridents was a d6/d8 versatile rather than a d8/d10 versatile

Costs more than a spear
Weighs more than a spear

The unearthed arcana feat CTurbo pointed out is an easier sell if asking for DM permission, but it is a little overly specific to spears to the point of not being worth the cost of an ASI, imo

We changed the RAW rules too.

strangebloke
2022-03-20, 09:30 PM
blowgun wielded by a 17th level monk

Greywander
2022-03-20, 11:25 PM
I always thought it was odd that the Flail, Morningstar, and War Pick all deal 1d8 damage one handed, but lack the versatile property. It would be an extremely reasonable homebrew to allow the War Pick to deal 1d10 piercing damage when used with 2 hands (Versatile).
Some morningstars were designed to be wielded with two hands, so I'd make the morningstar a versatile weapon, the piercing equivalent to the longsword and battleaxe.

But yeah, that isn't RAW, unfortunately. Still, I can't think of a good reason for a DM not to allow it.

JLandan
2022-03-22, 01:11 PM
Some morningstars were designed to be wielded with two hands, so I'd make the morningstar a versatile weapon, the piercing equivalent to the longsword and battleaxe.

But yeah, that isn't RAW, unfortunately. Still, I can't think of a good reason for a DM not to allow it.

I would absolutely allow it, but no one at my table ever brought it up.

sithlordnergal
2022-03-22, 01:28 PM
You have 3 options:

1) Pistol

2) Lance while mounted, though it technically does 1d12

3) Be a very high level Monk

Outside of that, they are all heavy and two handed.

DarknessEternal
2022-03-22, 01:39 PM
2) Lance while mounted, though it technically does 1d12

You don't have to be mounted.

sithlordnergal
2022-03-22, 01:50 PM
You don't have to be mounted.

Well, when you're not mounted you have to wield it in two hands.

"Special: You have disadvantage when you use a lance to Attack a target within 5 feet of you. Also, a lance requires two hands to wield when you aren't mounted."

Since OP wants to avoid two-handed weapons, the fact that you have to use it two-handed when you're not mounted could be a deal breaker.

Schwann145
2022-03-22, 01:54 PM
All the monk talk recently made me wanna play one so I was hoping for a kensei weapon option to get piercing that was better than a spear.
Alas :(

sithlordnergal
2022-03-22, 02:03 PM
Ok, I'm gonna give you a suggestion: Try to convince the DM to give you the Backbiter Spear, then take the Gunner feat so you can make ranged attacks within 5 ft. of enemies while also getting a +1 to Dex. The Backbiter gives you a +2 spear that deals one extra damage dice when you throw it, adds 30ft to the spear's normal and long ranges, and returns to your hand immediately after you throw it. Note, it says an "extra damage dice", meaning that extra damage scales with Monk weapon damage.

Only downside is that if you roll a 1, you have to make an attack roll against yourself with advantage, and if you hit yourself, you have to roll damage. Though this is bypassed slightly by throwing the spear at yourself and using Deflect Missiles.

Greywander
2022-03-22, 02:54 PM
Since OP wants to avoid two-handed weapons,
Two-handed is fine, OP just wants to avoid the heavy property.

Only downside is that if you roll a 1, you have to make an attack roll against yourself with advantage, and if you hit yourself, you have to roll damage. Though this is bypassed slightly by throwing the spear at yourself and using Deflect Missiles.
I assume they want to avoid the heavy property due to playing a small race. If they're a halfling, then rolling a 1 should rarely happen, so this becomes even better.

Not sure the monk die would affect the weapon dice, though. I don't think you'd replace individual dice, but rather all of them. So you could either do normal weapon damage or replace all the weapon dice with your martial arts die. The rules aren't really clear on this, though.

sithlordnergal
2022-03-22, 03:06 PM
Two-handed is fine, OP just wants to avoid the heavy property.

I assume they want to avoid the heavy property due to playing a small race. If they're a halfling, then rolling a 1 should rarely happen, so this becomes even better.

Not sure the monk die would affect the weapon dice, though. I don't think you'd replace individual dice, but rather all of them. So you could either do normal weapon damage or replace all the weapon dice with your martial arts die. The rules aren't really clear on this, though.

Hmmm, good point, though I think Monk also excludes the Lance.

As for the extra damage, it never actually says "weapon dice". The exact wording is:

You gain a +2 bonus to attack and damage rolls made with this magic weapon. When you throw it, its normal and long ranges both increase by 30 feet. and it deals one extra die of damage on a hit. After you throw it and it hits or misses, it flies back co your hand immediately."

Due to the wording, I'm pretty sure the bonus damage scales with the Monk martial arts damage, since it only says an extra die of damage instead of talking about weapon dice. Basically, you roll one more of whatever your damage is normally. The two big issues are the rolling a 1, and the fact that you have disadvantage on attack rolls made with other weapons. Though Monk bypasses both since:

Unarmed Strikes aren't considered weapons, so no disadvantage

and

If you roll a 1, you can throw the spear at yourself and catch it.

sambojin
2022-03-23, 10:28 AM
A druid wildshaping into a Hadrosaurus? It's versatile (gives +10' speed, +19HP, and makes you large), it has a +4 d10+2 attack, and is available to all lvl2 druids.

Sorry for wasting your time, I had hoped I had something better to say.

Lupine
2022-03-23, 02:46 PM

Costs more than a spear
Weighs more than a spear

I actually house ruled that if a creature is holding a trident, and are missed by an attack, may attempt a disarm action as a reaction. Basically, if I try to stab Mr Trident McGum, and I biff, mr Trident McGum can attempt to disarm me. Gives the trident something unique.

Though, I also say that when you disarm someone, the item falls in your space, and the creature has to spend an action contesting athletics with you, before it can interact with your space.