PDA

View Full Version : Bard's alignment

Bayar
2007-11-24, 05:10 AM
What alignment should a bard be if he has an Emo personality?

Emperor Demonking
2007-11-24, 05:16 AM
Probably, chaotic neutral, as being an emo isn't evil or good.

AslanCross
2007-11-24, 06:09 AM
Honestly, any non-good works. The Dirgesinger prestige class from Libris Mortis is THE emo bard (He believes no one can understand the world unless they know sorrow. That's an paraphrase of the actual class description), and the alignment requirement is simply non-good (and of course non-lawful, which is dumb).

Though perhaps if you break down being emo, it is not necessarily restricted to any particular. A Dickensian character who knows a lot of pain could still be good, but an emo character most likely won't bother reaching out to others. An evil character could be driven by sorrow and would be willing to inflict pain on others. True Neutral or Chaotic Neutral would represent the typical emo person, but if you don't want to be typical you could definitely make a sorrowful character fit into any alignment.

Yuki Akuma
2007-11-24, 06:38 AM
I fail to see why you couldn't be emo and altruistic.

Annoying != non-Good.

AslanCross
2007-11-24, 07:22 AM
I just meant to say that the typical image of an emo person does not involve reaching out to others. A sorrowful but kind person is not what we commonly know as emo.

The Dirgesinger, on the other hand, involves "YOU HAVE TO KNOW SORROW," and as such does not may be likely to withhold goodwill on purpose, if not cause sorrow altogether. That's why he's non-good.

graymachine
2007-11-24, 07:23 AM
Neutral Evil, which I realize a bard shouldn't be. Let me explain: The ultimate heart of emo-ism, to fabricate such a word, is pure indulgence of the self with absolute denial of the needs or existence of others. Emo tendencies are nothing more than masturbatory self-indulgence to a severe extreme. By the most objective interpretation of the alignment system that makes the individual Neutral Evil. That's right folks; in your angsty teen years you were Neutral Evil! At least until you grew some sense and grew up.