PDA

View Full Version : Artificer Magic Item Crafting

Stringsbatman
2022-03-20, 09:42 AM
Planning out my character build and I saw that artificers can craft common magic items for half the cost and a quarter of the time. But I'm having trouble finding out how long and how much it takes to craft certain items. For instance a moon touched sword is a common magic item but I have no idea how much it would cost or how much time it would take to create? I'm toying with the idea of crafting common magic items to sell in towns or maybe just arm a local militia or something to that effect. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Greywander
2022-03-20, 09:51 AM
I'm away from my books, but the info you want is in Xanathar's.

Artificers also get a bonus for crafting uncommon items, too, so you have a lot of good options. Be aware you can't normally craft an item without the recipe, though. This is a houserule, but I like to treat a recipe as being one step rarer than the item it's for, so you can craft a recipe to represent doing the research and designing the item yourself.

Zhorn
2022-03-20, 09:56 AM
5e isn't so great on exact values for individual items. Mostly giving a value or a range for a rarity level, leaving it up to the DM to get more specific on that front.

As Greywander says, you can look at the rules in XGtE p128 or in the DMG on p128 for each book's version setting out cost and completion rate.
Check with your DM on what version they plan to use, and how they will be pricing magic items (along with their rules for selling magic items also).

I don't think I've ever had two tables run the same way on that front.

Unoriginal
2022-03-20, 09:57 AM
Planning out my character build and I saw that artificers can craft common magic items for half the cost and a quarter of the time. But I'm having trouble finding out how long and how much it takes to craft certain items. For instance a moon touched sword is a common magic item but I have no idea how much it would cost or how much time it would take to create? I'm toying with the idea of crafting common magic items to sell in towns or maybe just arm a local militia or something to that effect. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

There are several versions of rules to craft magic items.

Since you mentioned the Moon-Touched Sword, you can check the ones in the Xanathar's, under Crafting in the "Downtime Revisited" section of the book.

Note that even an artificier can't craft a magic item without first acquiring said magic item's formula, outside of their class-infused (and so, temporary) items.

It also requires something of an adventure, so outfitting a whole militia may not be possible.

Greywander
2022-03-20, 10:06 AM
Some other artificer-specific houserules you might consider is treating an infusion known as having the recipe and using an infusion slot as providing the rare component (so the item is infused during the entire crafting process). This allows artificers to actually craft magic items without relying on the DM to provide the recipe/rare component, but only ones they can get an infusion for.

YMMV, though. It's worth asking your DM about.

Stringsbatman
2022-03-20, 10:12 AM
Thank you everybody for your answers.

Joe the Rat
2022-03-22, 10:27 AM
Some other artificer-specific houserules you might consider is treating an infusion known as having the recipe and using an infusion slot as providing the rare component (so the item is infused during the entire crafting process). This allows artificers to actually craft magic items without relying on the DM to provide the recipe/rare component, but only ones they can get an infusion for.

YMMV, though. It's worth asking your DM about.

I haven't used this one, but I am going to put it in player review, because this is a really good idea.